MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Post pics of your DIY setup!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Post pics of your DIY setup!

falafelbiels

I noticed other sub-forums have this and although they have impressive systems in them, they just don't thrill me as much as seeing DIY stuff!
Now the search function couldn't find me a similar thread in Music Tech DIY so I thought why not?

I guess I'd better kick off.

This is where I'm at after about one and a half year of DIY. Please ignore the Tyme Sefari, not that I don't like it but anyway...

WHERE YOURS AT?!

Dear Mod,
If a similar thread does exist, or maybe this belongs in DIY Forum Challenge (though I don't know about that), please move it to there and I'll edit the nonsense out.

Luka

i dont think we have done this yet - nice idea

Low-Gain

Very nice systems guys! looks very productive. i'll post once i get my studio back in order.

falafelbiels: i like your tank. smile

decaying.sine

Here is my SDIY building zone. This is an older pic. I have two more of those big gray things filled with ICs now. My o-scope is on another desk. I am switching over to an L-shaped desk since it is a little bigger.

I have an ikea drawer thingy that I store PCBs and panels in. I have been collecting them while working on my skills.

Here is my at home etching setup in this thread.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24244&highlight=etch ing

I guess I don't have a lot of pics of my builds because most of them are at various stages of stuffing and wiring. I'll have to post a few when I get a little further.

russma

...soothing candle FTW.

Guinness ftw!

parasitk

I don't have any good pics of my workspace at the moment, but here's my in-progress DIY synth (I've posted these around before):

Coppersynth, October 2010 by parasitk, on Flickr

Coppersynth patched by parasitk, on Flickr

Coppersynth patched by parasitk, on Flickr

I have the 292c clones and Mankato done. The Mankato doesn't work at the moment and I have no idea why. I'm in the middle of wiring the Living VCOs right now.

Next year I start a second row after I've moved and have my workspace all set up again! sad banana

falafelbiels

It got stickied even! w00t For a minute I couldn't find it anymore huhuh...

Luka
I really love the live rig you're working on. The ultimate in SDIY or somewhere damn near!

Low-Gain
The Leman Russ or the Land Raider? The Land Raider is pretty DIY and belongs in the pic really. Too bad it will never be finished...

decaying.sine
That is ridiculously neat! My place looks like an outhouse. Get wiring man!

parasitk
That is ridiculously beautiful...
eek!

decaying.sine

No kidding. So much wiring to do!

Another thing I added to the little work area was a true HEPA filter. It is awesome at sucking up the solder fumes. I basically solder right in front of it and don't have to open the window. I picked up the idea from a post here, I believe, and a recommendation on the filter by xart's post.

Coppersynth is unbelievably beautiful isn't it? Actually, I'm always impressed by all the amazing DIY panel styles. Pretty inspiring stuff.

Low-Gain

decaying.sine: NOW THAT'S A CLEAN SPACE !! wow. i wish my benches could be that clean. >_<

Luka

haha same

mine become that clean about once per quarter and then they slowly become a landfill. good idea with the air filter. you would really need it in that space looking at the angle of the wall

i like to see that other people patch up their unfinished modules just to see what it looks like when in operation smile

decaying.sine

It's an attic room and you are correct about the ceiling angle. The DIY desk I am switching to is beside the window in the same room, but that little filter sucks up everything even on the lowest setting. It's been a nice surprise and addition.

I do need to finish up my stuff so I can show off my lovely nice-racks.com burgundy MOTM 5U cabinet.

I have a matching cabinet that is modcan A format. I am going to do some panel designs for that one in anodized blue to match my MegaOhm built modules. Phi's got a great design style and I am going to DIY with that in mind.

sduck

I thought we had already done this, but I guess not! This is a few months old...

and the scary hole in my garage I put the stuff together...

Luka

i think we have done the workspace thing but not had a thread to show off DIY synths. here is one side of my workspace (the other side has a drillpress and a shelf full of components)

[/img]

decaying.sine

Luke. Great curtains. David Lynch fan?

Luka

smile - i think some days i probably make as much sense at a lynch film

i got these curtains from an op shop for party decor but they were so nice they mostly lived in my house with the odd excursion once in awhile for special installations.

RF

Great idea for a thread - You all have great looking setups, but jeese sduck, that's a beautiful system..

Here's my modular a few months back - I got all the empty spaces filled with modules a week or two ago... But I still have a backlog of projects which may mean starting a new cab.

bruce

andrewF

this is a bit old but you get the idea

i wish i had coloured patchcords.............. d'oh!

falafelbiels

What is that thing in the bottom pic, Andrew?

Rod Serling Fan Club

wow, crazy setups. So far all my DIY modules are lying strewn about waiting for a case. I can't decide what kind of case I want to make, stained wood, tolex, I dunno...

Luka

if i had the chance again i think i would have not made my big wood case
even though making that case was so satisfying

the angled mixer rack cases are the best as you can use them so many ways
you can sit them on bench vertical or horizontally - you can take them out of your studio - you can put your racks effects in there. so useful

(i was 100% influenced by spbaker here)

this is my gig rig now

rico loverde

holy shit AndrewF thats a sic set up. love the mannequins...didnt realize you had done those. seen some pix of em before i believe. very colorful!!!

andrewF

falafelbiels wrote:
What is that thing in the bottom pic, Andrew?

it is recycled from a PKE studio mixer (as is most of that synth).
It is now a 20 stage 'binary-programmed' sequencer. Each column of push switches is wired to be an 8-bit selector.

The remaining 8 columns of push switches are used to set up programmable gate outputs from the Milton.

Luka

im not sure if i have asked this before but how they hell do you wire stuff inside the mannequins? it must be hard to mount everything but to wire it then makes it seems impossible. do you slice them open first?

andrewF

its a real shit trying to wire down in the crotch region......
basically made a door out of the back (same for the back of the head)
the boards are stacked and bolted all over the place

Luka

we have put lights and piece of mirror inside them before and it was a nightmare - i was always blown away by how much sweat and tears (and swearing) it would have been to make your ones

andrewF

mostly swearing
and some blood

I still keep adding to Pinky, next is a VC sine/cosine generator

falafelbiels

andrewF wrote:
it is recycled from a PKE studio mixer (as is most of that synth).
It is now a 20 stage 'binary-programmed' sequencer. Each column of push switches is wired to be an 8-bit selector.

The remaining 8 columns of push switches are used to set up programmable gate outputs from the Milton.

Ah... of course... kind of thought so already...

fonik

my workbench (a little bit messy at this time, due to the back log):

and my instruments:

det3

Here's the skinny on the blockhaus. I segregate the lab into three zones: the ammo dump (parts + library), the solder saddle (workbench) and the imagination station (design/debug area). Here's an overview:

The ammo dump. I'd say excuse the mess, but it's a lab, not a manufacturing floor:

The solder saddle with red/green RoHS bins and cheapo hot air penis (pencil):

Finally, the imagination station. On the left part of the picture is the power/test bench with all the debug equipment including programmers, scopes, logic analyzers, test PC, etc. On the right is the design station which contains the workstation and enough room to keep a pad of paper or two around in case I want to go old school:

I forgot to mention the tardissynth is part of the test rig for now. Later I'll throw a proper rack frame with a QCR8 and a 3U eurorack in for testing modules.

Spanningtree

Crazy stuff guys and great looking synths/labs! I wish I had more time to delve deeper into the DIY bit... looking at this thread makes me want to ask my boss/wife for more time off. nanners

Befacosynth

Not very good picture but ...

My first system

Second system much more portable. (Now I can take a plain with my baby without carrying 20 kilo of flightcase) Classic 5u are very nice but...

falafelbiels

fonik wrote:

Yeah I hadn't expected such a mess Matthias lol

det3 wrote:
I'd say excuse the mess, but it's a lab, not a manufacturing floor

Funny how people excuse themselves for their "mess"

here's mine, no excuses:

Befacosynth
That suitcase looks SUPERnice

jenamu6

I'm so jealous at you guys...........I love these DIY synths.

I can solder and know some electronics.
Yesterday I even finished a RCD from 4Ms

BUT......if it doesn't come with a faceplate.......it's a no go for me.....and almost every diy thingy comes without faceplates. waah

falafelbiels

I'll do that faceplate for you Jean.

Funky40

falafelbiels wrote:
fonik wrote:

Yeah I hadn't expected such a mess Matthias lol

hehe

i NEVER had such a clean space to work since i'm into soldering.
must surch for pics from my old appartment oops

Funky40

my very little workspace from the old appartment.
here i soldered my modular from 2006-2009.
it was the space i used to make music in my pre-modular/DIY time
edit: parts where on the floor in bags. some in boxes........DIY hell

now i'm diving into DIYing radio controlled sailplanes. we do DLG.
the mess is unspeakable. Every room not this shit again lol

nervous_circuits

Luka wrote:
if i had the chance again i think i would have not made my big wood case
even though making that case was so satisfying

the angled mixer rack cases are the best as you can use them so many ways
you can sit them on bench vertical or horizontally - you can take them out of your studio - you can put your racks effects in there. so useful

(i was 100% influenced by spbaker here)

this is my gig rig now

awesome luka, I was thinking about using one of those mixer cases! Looks great!

Low-Gain

I'm embarrassed to be posting this. not this shit againnot this shit again

Apartment Workshop. IT'S A MESS!!!

Bricks

Coming soon....

schmidtc

We have a SDIY meetup twice a month here in Boston. Anyone in town should drop in if interested. Lots of pics/info on the blog.

[/url]

photon

Awesome thread.
I love looking at other peoples workspaces and studios. I'll post some pictures of my shop as soon as I shovel it out. I'm in the middle of building a new workbench and things are a bit upside down.

mome rath

eeeesh oops

russma

You should get some parts.

eek!

mome rath

russma wrote:
You should get some parts.

eek!

I should get something done waah

skweeegor

I like the buns towel.

edit: and the lava lamp lamp

negativspace

skweeegor wrote:
edit: and the lava lamp lamp

+1

Low-Gain

The modules aren't DIY, but the cases are wink

terrafractyl

heres my 60% DIY setup at the moment.

and the associated mess that comes and goes... a thoroughly unprofessional looking workbench haha

zthee

I need a wider lens. w00t

magman

Time to Join the fray, with yet another untidy workbench:

Which is helping to build this synth, amongst others:

This is less than half of the MOTM style modular I'm building, which currently runs to over 5 of these cabinets.

Last but no means least, the reason for my username:

You are looking at complete or virtually complete collections of Elektor, ETI, Practical Electronics, Maplin Electronics, E&MM, Sound on Sound, Future Music, The Mix, Computer Music, 45 years worth of Wireless World and a large collection of Everyday Electronics, amongst others. By the way, this is less than half of my collection, which currently stands at over 9000 magazines and counting.

Regards

Magman

fonik

magman wrote:
You are looking at complete or virtually complete collections of Elektor, ETI, Practical Electronics, Maplin Electronics, E&MM, Sound on Sound, Future Music, The Mix, Computer Music, 45 years worth of Wireless World and a large collection of Everyday Electronics, amongst others. By the way, this is less than half of my collection, which currently stands at over 9000 magazines and counting.

eek!

Low-Gain

fonik wrote:
magman wrote:

eek!

+1

valis

Yeah, wow

mome rath

daaaaayum Gina

Adam-V

Magman or madman???

Nice collection. There's some great synth circuits in amongst that lot if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,
Adam-V

magman

Adam-V wrote:
Nice collection. There's some great synth circuits in amongst that lot if my memory serves me correctly.

I've catalogued a lot of the Synth circuits in a spreadsheet for a few of these magazines.

In the long run, I plan to set up a Web site with lots of information for these magazines, front covers, contents pages and a searchable database of articles being part of this plan. If I can sort out some copyright issues, scans of the electro music articles is on my wishlist, but copyright is a thorny issue though. I've scanned 3500 front covers so far though, only another 5-6000 to go MY ASS IS BLEEDING

My other hobby is building synthesisers, not the other way round. Mr. Green

Regards

Magman

Adam-V

I'm sue I'm not the only one who will look forward to seeing that website!

we're not worthy

Cheers,
Adam-V

nuckabean

whoa the idea of scanning 9000 magazines makes me shiver

Dego

nuckabean wrote:
whoa the idea of scanning 9000 magazines makes me shiver

MY ASS IS BLEEDING eek!

kindredlost

I see some use the blown plastic white tables used for workstations. I've found them to add a source of static charge. I've moved to a wooden top bench desk. Do you see this? A good static mat and wooden chair like you have is a good idea.

I like to use the mini drawer boxes too. Sometimes they can be a pain to find things in without labels though.

mome rath wrote:

eeeesh oops

Luka

my diy synth setup in situ doing it's thing smile

i was lucky enough to have my first ever live performance & vj set in the alex grey cosm tent @ rainbow serpent festival last weekend. it was very exciting to be surrounded by such amazing art while presenting my own. a great environment for drone and visuals

dude

this thread has the best contents of muff i have ever seen. i feel ashamed to have not noticed it earlier. gems. here's my wiener of a log cabin:

the last one is the lady's space but i like the pic and we sometimes use it for photos so i thought i'd share.

andrewF

re:Luka
nice one
wish i could have been there
w00t

here's a pic of my stuff at DREAM-ING 3.

andrewF

dude wrote:

are those pads touch controllers??
I have one pulled from some lab gear, can you introduce me to a schematic? Or just a simple voltage divider arrangement is good enough?

dude

they are force sensing resistors. i make em in little boxes as you see. they are passive and so much fun with the modular or pedals. pass audio or cv or whatever. i usually put a fixed voltage through to accomplish x task.
FSR

i have the boxes for sale in my sig and can do a little custom stuff with them, of course diy people don't need my sales spam, sorry.

andrewF

cheers, thats what i've got.
maybe i'll stick it somewhere strategic on Pinky

dude

andrewF wrote:
cheers, thats what i've got.
maybe i'll stick it somewhere strategic on Pinky

you are amazing man

nottt

fonik

applause
what a beauty.

Luka

weclome nottt
nice setup SlayerBadger!

andrewF

Hi nottt

please tell us about your synth(s?)

nottt

that are my serial DIY synths

check my page for details - http://vtol.tk

andrewF

nottt wrote:
that are my serial DIY synths

check my page for details - http://vtol.tk

AVG doesn't like your link

nottt

what is "AVG"?

I dont have any problems with this link))) - works great from hear!

try this one - http://samoletuvvp.narod.ru/vto/index.html (miror)

andrewF

AVG is anti-virus, keeps blocking vtol.tk
the mirror site works

eek! some really beautiful synths applause
and so many!!!

rico loverde

my set up...with the start of my 2011 builds...

falafelbiels

nottt
Well there's something a little bit different looking. Nice!

russma

@Rico: nice 'scope!

terrafractyl

Wow nottt

thats some amazing looking stuff right there, and the modules all sound like nothing I've ever heard of woah

rico loverde

thanx Russ, 10 bux at the local swap. It looks straight out of "1000 Leagues Under the Sea"

dude

this thread is too awesome

nottt

thanx everybody for kind words

active

i can vouche for nott! i did sound for ya at bent fest last year. killer stuff my friend!

LoFi Junglist

Here's my DIY Setup, getting ready for 2011 projects.

Besides the usual fuzzpedals for mates i hope to get some prototypes up and running of Eurorack mods to sell (my dream is to have a small business making these); Voltage Quantiser, Digitaly controlled Analog Function generator, Digitaly controlled Analog Universal filter and an 8x8 switching Matrix.

My CRO recently died, so I'm stuck using that handheld UT81B; absolutly worthless as an oscilloscope, and the worst $100 bucks I've spent (got it second hand)

Luka

i just sold my scope and was checking those things out
thanks for the tip

i think i might go for a USB job

Rod Serling Fan Club

I'm messy:

DGTom

messy?

... & thats the sit down bench where you can do stuff,
next to that is the 'real' mess!!

rosch

oh a benjolin!

Celtic Peasant

parasitk wrote:
I don't have any good pics of my workspace at the moment, but here's my in-progress DIY synth (I've posted these around before):

Words escape me ..... we're not worthy !!

parasitk

Celtic Peasant wrote:
parasitk wrote:

Words escape me ..... we're not worthy !!

w00t Thanks!

ragingmouse

eek! eek!
oh my lord....
love love

My workspace is nothing compared to some of you guys...wow!!! we're not worthy

falafelbiels

Pictures or it doesn't even exist!

andrewF

more messy

Pfurmel

My humble mess/set up.

falafelbiels

You guys really need to get organized hihi

A Dingleberry Monstrosity

You say your setup is messy?

exhibit A:

exhibit B:

all that shit for just ONE suitcase!!!

Pfurmel

Ah but that lampshade really ties the room together!

LoFi Junglist

Dude is that your bed?

questionable

I love messy workspace threads. Here's mine.

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Dude is that your bed?

guest bed hihi

falafelbiels

Hey guys, remember this thread is as much about the results of your work as it is about your messy workspaces. I like to see DIY systems.

falafelbiels wrote:
Hey guys, remember this thread is as much about the results of your work as it is about your messy workspaces. I like to see DIY systems.

crappy cellphone pic of my half complete suitcase!!!

All I have left to do is mount the rails to the top half and it will be pretty much done!!! applause

nottt

now THAT is cool as fuck! Info?

falafelbiels

nottt

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
now THAT is cool as fuck! Info?

that was my setup for performance couple days ago)))

some more shots and video are on my page - http://samoletuvvp.narod.ru/vto/03032011.html

jbartee

andrewF

this was my setup for a show on Sunday night. There were 4 acts but I got there early and totally hogged the stage - sorry razz
as you can see i'm a real crowd pleaser!
The track is not a recording of the show, but a recording of the patch I setup in the afternoon, made notes and set up something similar whilst playing. Its quite similar, lashings of SD card player, zeitgeist, Serge 73 VCF, hellfire modulator, CGS wavetable, CGS CMOS VCF in series.
[s]http://soundcloud.com/nonlinearcircuits/lot[/s]

Luka

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Do you patch that all up in-situ andrew?

andrewF

i set up four basic patches before starting, let them roll for a while, then started patching 'freestyle' hihi

Usually i like to start with a blank canvas and see where it ends up (often some combination of the Jerkster and a CGS Steiner)
but this was just 30 minutes so decided to give myself a head start.

Notice i stayed far away from the tube-synth, there's plenty of bitey voltages lurking within those big panel holes

DGTom

Awesome rig Andrew SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
does the Library Serge still have an open back?

My -not-quite-DIY-but-I-mess-with-everything-so-it-kinda-counts-kinda- set-up;

While it was uploading my BugBrand CTL-1 arrived MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING

andrewF

yep the librarySerge is still open, still to install a few more boards - this morning it is getting a vari-BW VCF, VCFQ, real ring mod, early Serge ring mod and two DC mixers.
gotta another gig tomorrow, very cool, the guys running it have a record lathe, so the show is recorded live to vinyl and the vinyl is given to the performer.

Your synth is looking good, love all the coloured nanas.
I would love to hear that LOUD
SlayerBadger!

sduck

What are you meaning by this... LibrarySerge? Is that some sort of code name for an old style 1 inch grid serge?

andrewF

hihi
the panels are made from discarded library shelves with 1 inch spacing and early Serge style graphics
Think 'librarySerge came from DGTom, its better than 'Mod#4' i originally called it.

Basically 1 shelf = 4 Serge panels

Pfurmel

nottt and AndrewF, amazing work

andrewF

jbartee wrote:

this is such a beautiful synth-diy photo, nicely sums up the whole deal.
the only improvement could be if something was exploding or burning when the photo was taken.

sduck

too neat

kupfer_m

The first 5 finished modules of my modular :

Zeitdehner

Wow...that's what I call a nice first post on here thumbs up

mome rath

kupfer_m wrote:

those look great, good job

rico loverde

wow Kupfer M that is seriously beautiful. Nice job. Welcome to the forum...

falafelbiels

kupfer_m

Waaaaaaaaaah welcome man! Trying to make an impression huh?

w00t

Adam-V

Very nice work kupfer_m.

Cheers,
Adam-V

kupfer_m

Thanks for the kind words!

I really enjoy building stuff.

Here a few of my other builds :

Weird Sound Generator :

FF-clone

Tube distortion I designed:

Tube amplifier I build some years ago:

Zeitdehner

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Man, that tube amp is insanely beautiful...I guess the unit next to it has the controls hmmm.....

is there a place where I could see the complete system ?
do you by any chance want to sell it ?

andrewF

Really great designs....'specially the amp love

kupfer_m

Zeitdehner wrote:
MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Man, that tube amp is insanely beautiful...I guess the unit next to it has the controls hmmm.....

is there a place where I could see the complete system ?
do you by any chance want to sell it ?

Yes, there also a preamp!

At the moment the system is in storage, have to build some new speakers first.
Nope, I'm not going to sell it Mr. Green

frozenkore

kupfer_m wrote:

Looks great! How deep is your case? I just made a bracket for my 4072 VCF. Unfortunately the bracket wasn't wide enough so I have the board pointed longways back which makes it about an inch too deep for my standard Doepfer case. I have a 220mm deep Elby rack (for the sake of deep DIY modules) so I probably won't make a new bracket. Just curious what you ended up doing.

kupfer_m

frozenkore wrote:
kupfer_m wrote:

Looks great! How deep is your case? I just made a bracket for my 4072 VCF. Unfortunately the bracket wasn't wide enough so I have the board pointed longways back which makes it about an inch too deep for my standard Doepfer case. I have a 220mm deep Elby rack (for the sake of deep DIY modules) so I probably won't make a new bracket. Just curious what you ended up doing.

I think my racks are also minimun 220mm deep. They are from an old PA-system with eurocard (100mm x 160mm) modules in them.
I have space enough for the PCB's.

frozenkore

kupfer_m wrote:
I think my racks are also minimun 220mm deep. They are from an old PA-system with eurocard (100mm x 160mm) modules in them.

Cool, yea I just made my bracket yesterday:

Oh and the tube stuff is amazing!

kupfer_m

frozenkore wrote:
kupfer_m wrote:

Cool, yea I just made my bracket yesterday:

Oh and the tube stuff is amazing!

That's an impressive braket! Mine are just 2 little L-shaped pieces of aluminium. The pcb is mounted with only 2 screws...

frozenkore

Thanks! I used one of these. Drilled the holes for the standoffs and used a deep throat punch (like this), Harbor Freight apparently no longer sells, for the pot and jack holes.

sanders

What are you using for the rails on this case? Is this a commercial product that someone sells, or just something from the hardware store?

I've been fuddling around with a similar case housing and have some wooden supports that I cut, but I feel like I'd be much better off with aluminum rails.

falafelbiels wrote:

crappy cellphone pic of my half complete suitcase!!!

All I have left to do is mount the rails to the top half and it will be pretty much done!!! applause

cut down vector rails from mouser.com

TS800 iirc

Hi5

dingleberry:

are you planning on adding a utility strip in that bottom empty space in your case? I ask because if you mount the vectors flipped over there is another beveled trace that you could mount an aluminum L-bar to easily. From there you could have mults, attenuators, switches, etc... in the L-bar.

kupfer_m

Finished some more modules :

Hi5 wrote:
dingleberry:

are you planning on adding a utility strip in that bottom empty space in your case? I ask because if you mount the vectors flipped over there is another beveled trace that you could mount an aluminum L-bar to easily. From there you could have mults, attenuators, switches, etc... in the L-bar.

no, going to put 2 more rails there to fill the space.

jarvis

nice panels kupfer_m!

iopop

kupfer_m: That's really beautiful. You use lazertran for the panel graphics?

KNYST

nice, kupfer

any chance of a larger photo?
(link would do fine)

kupfer_m

iopop wrote:
kupfer_m: That's really beautiful. You use lazertran for the panel graphics?

Thanks!

For the panel I use the toner transfer method. Works fine!

kupfer_m

KNYST wrote:
nice, kupfer

any chance of a larger photo?
(link would do fine)

Here's a larger picture!

Godric

Here's mine

Godric

KNYST

thanks, kupfer_m 8_)

nice one Godric thumbs up

falafelbiels

Godric

That's a real nice one, what is all of that?

kupfer_m

Godric,

That's impressive!
Yes, tell us more.
Maybe some detailed pics?

werock

Now I can see why Rapid are out of those black knobs...

Godric

This is my Jubileeproject. Enjoy:

Godric

Godric

Those are all Oakley modules. Apart from the sequencers which should be pretty recognisable 8_)

Godric

falafelbiels

Very nice looking. Those sequencers sure make a system grow fast!

SMS303

Godric wrote:
This is my Jubileeproject. Enjoy

jawdrop awesome! we're not worthy
Are the panels DIY too?

Godric

Depends how you define DIY.

I modified Thomas White's designs for the sequencers. In both cases more or less all I kept where the elliptical arrangements of the knobs (which makes so much sense for an ostinato generator). The MFOS I rearranged even the circular arrangement as I was using dual concentric knobs, which allowed me to give new meaning to Thomas's iconic "coarse/fine" legend. I also used a single on-off-on switch instead of the separate forward/back switches on the MFOS. There are a number of other changes. The Oakley modules I simply took Tony Allgood's panel designs and modified them for my colour-scheme (blue with no in-fill) and with the money saved from that added scales to the knobs.

The power control and multiples strips in the lower part are all mine.

Then some dude in Berlin milled them for me. So not a huge DIY element I suppose.

But still unique.

Godric

valis

The case and panels were built from found and recycled materials. Only one panel left on this little beast then it's on to my next major project. It's certainly not the best looking build of all time but it was my first experience working with metal and wood, so I guess it was a giant learning experience.

falafelbiels

Nice stuff Valis. very conscious...

valis

Thanks! It was a long time coming!

Rod Serling Fan Club

I dig it valis

valis

Thanks again. I'm always kind of intimidated by people's beautiful projects and panels. I'll post some vids at some point.

falafelbiels

valis wrote:
Thanks again. I'm always kind of intimidated by people's beautiful projects and panels. I'll post some vids at some point.

Well it's a great style, conscious and good looking...

andrewF

valis wrote:
The case and panels were built from found and recycled materials.

It looks like an excellent synth and especially cool to be made from recycled materials.
I think using recycled parts is a bit of an extra challenge but you end up with a unique device.

analog604

Falafelbiels,

Thanks for sharing that.

You have what appears to be a cozy space. I imagine you have positive workflow there in the diy soundlab.

I'm thinking about ways to implement a small modular that I haven't built yet into a limited space and yours and others have given some inspiration.

cheers
J

falafelbiels

Welcome analog64!

Hah I'm currently moving out of that place. new pics in a month or so. Let's hope for more coziness...

Keep us posted on the progress OK?

analog604

Thanks falafelbiels, and good luck with the move.

There is much inspiration for DIY here and.. hopefully I'll be able to help out with that at some point.

I've seen some of these synths on a few youtube videos, jaw dropping electronic goodness...

Anyhow I just put an order in for a few modules from Oakley and MFOS to get something into motion.

a little background from me
The gear that I had DiY build over the past 6 years are mic/guitar pre-amps, compressors/limiters, gtr pedals, midibox controller, and mixer stuff.. but not so much for recording as for processing sound and synths.

Bench/build pics here :: update, MFOs modules arrived and I built some of them out over the weekend with the beginnings of a MIDIBox CV :
http://analogaccess.com/pics_pics/

many projects from Prodigy Pro/Group DIY forums; great bunch of guys to learn from.

Dunno why it hadn't occurred to me until this year to build a modular, other than not having too much space left to put it.

oh and... an img of DiY stuff from 2008, I imagine synth modular stuff next to it:

cheers
J

falafelbiels wrote:
Welcome analog64!

Hah I'm currently moving out of that place. new pics in a month or so. Let's hope for more coziness...

Keep us posted on the progress OK?

falafelbiels

Well that's all gorgeous looking...

Blue Lantern

Here is my Modular Synth and my new smaller Euro FOrmat.

AntManBee

You DIY folk are crazy! I'm so impressed by the skill, originality and beauty of much of this stuff, especially Parasitk's copper synth. The best I can do with a soldering iron is manage to avoid burning myself whilst giving myself brain damage with my old lead solder.

whitewulfe

Blue Lantern wrote:
Here is my Modular Synth and my new smaller Euro FOrmat.

Is this strictly DIY, or is it available somewhere as a kit/package deal thingy? Looks quite interesting.

falafelbiels

running out of compliments here...

zthee

Blue Lantern Wow! Nice looking panels! I especially like the red and blue legend, great job! thumbs up

Adam-V

That's some mighty nice work Blue Lantern.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Blue Lantern

Thanks. Yes it is all DIY.

The panel was made using a Laminator and then sticking it on the ALuminum panel with LOCKTITE Glue Spray via the Ray Wilson Technique.

More info on the Individual modules can be found HERE

When I order something if I happen to have a fresh stock I can sell a few PCB's for DIY. If stuff is running low I need it to fund the next batch of restock.

Blue Lantern

After seeing some of the setups in here I decided to rebuild the Euro Rack Cab. I did not want to spend too much thought into it. With one visit to Lowes USA I found pre-cut wood (Poplar) that I simply just glued and screwed together. Now I have more then enough room to fill and thrill

analog604

Quote:

cool nice work, Blue Lantern!

I'm still trying to figure out which way to go for a rack. I like the idea of having it be wood, but I'm no expert at woodwork.

What is that module on the lower right, is that a 60-Hz sinewave oscillator?

: )

-J

Blue Lantern

That's a kill yourself module, you patch it in and flick the switch.

Nah That's to add a wallwart for my Midi to CV or when i use Pedals.

analog604

Blue Lantern wrote:
That's a kill yourself module, you patch it in and flick the switch.

Nah That's to add a wallwart for my Midi to CV or when i use Pedals.

Yeah I figured it was a convenience outlet, with the creation of an infernal machine being an option.

auftauchend

hi just thought after month of lurking in the dark i should show you mine..

just finished building the case, multiplex wood, nothing fancy. just bananafied the whole synth and rebuild it (24 modules) into eurorack format. whole lotta work it was!
i didnt spent too much time designing the panels.. before i silkscreened everything with superb results, but it took way too much time...now i didn´t care.
i designed the case quite big to have some space for new modules.

i am currently making knobs...and i´m asking if maybe i´m taking the diy too far.. but its just so much fun!!!
greetings to all
alex

a 4x8 channel mixer module..high density wiring

hmm..now that i see the photos, i should maybe have spent more time on the panels...
greetings to all

falafelbiels

Naaah man it looks great, lots of character! Making your own knobs actually does cross a line, see a doctor will you? And while we are on the subject; I really enjoy lurkers coming out in this here thread and I wonder what more beautiful surprise projects will be bestowed upon us here. Can't wait to see!

And welcome Alex, what are all those circuit in there? Spill the beans...

Adam-V

Isn't this thread meant for showing off your messy workspaces? There's build gloat thread where you can flaunt your finished builds.

Cheers,
Adam-V

auftauchend

hahaa no doctor thanks..with roughly 110 knobs its really a money question. and "making" means cutting a broomstick. works surprisingly well.
the modules are: 4x vco, two on one faceplate.dual ringmod, dual sample/hold,some tools like inverters,offsets, slew,...,stepsequencer,clocksequencer+divider, 3x vca,3x adsr, 4 lfos, steiner/parker filter, noise.
this is all curetronic stuff. matthias from curetronic helped me a lot at the beginning and he is a great guy too who -to my ears- produces great stuff.
also in there the 4x 8ch mixer and 2x th. white lpg. i need two more of those...

so on every faceplate are 2-3 modules

aah and the doepfer quantizer + pll. mfb midi interface.

so far a quite "traditional" setup for tonal/melodic work. i plan to build more stuff to twist/bend/create gates and cvs, like logic, comparators, vcs and so on to have more "controlled" chaos and ways to experiment
glad you like it! i do too! the thing sounds great by the way Rockin' Banana!

auftauchend

oups.. my english vocabulary is pretty limited. i didn't know what 'gloat'means...but i looked it up , and, yes, maybe i am ' gloatin' a bit..
oops
so yes, sorry ,its the wrong place for this. i will try to post a picture of my messy workbench tomorrow, mine is in a state just perfect for this threat
btw great builts i did see in here! truly inspiring stuff

Adam-V

Hi auftauchend,

Please don't take my comments as being directed personally at you. I was just saying that this thread had deviated from its original intent.

You have a nice looking modular by the way!

Cheers,
Adam-V

falafelbiels

Welllll, I actually started this thread for showing off DIY systems, just like in the various formats sub forums "show your XX system here" threads. One sees a lot of DIY modules in the gloat thread, but hardly ever (semi-) complete systems. Keep the messy workspace pics coming though, and gloating is promoted here as well...

You may want to try the Ian Fritz designs for the CV mangling, Alex.

Adam-V

I stand corrected.

Carry on...

Cheers,
Adam-V

auftauchend

absolutely no problem adam-v
thanks for the advice, those fritz designs do look good and some of them quite easy to do also..i was having a look at those chaos circuits. although i like the idea of patching chaotic systems without dedicated modules that produce chaotic cv or gate..well that sure is sth for another thread. but i think that is why i am attracted by the cgs serge stuff. i think i need more tools like the dusg, vc lfos and so on. thats the problem with big cases..all the empty space you need to fill.
but the soldering iron is still warm from the stuff i showed you. so first i have to make some music and test it on a stage, because playing live is what i enjoy the most with my modular.
good night

falafelbiels

Adam-V wrote:
I stand corrected.

Carry on...

Cheers,
Adam-V

at ease thumbs up

kindredlost

I'm too anal to have my workspace messy for long. I just finished a few builds and straightened up a bit. I hope this doesn't disappoint the real DIY'ers here. I've been away from building circuitry for decades and am just now getting "back-in-the-saddle-again".

A corner of a back bedroom with a full king-size bed for crashing after hours of ironing. Humble and cozy.

super nice!

LoFi Junglist

Is that an Owon5022?

Been using mine for a couple of months now, and its niiiiice.

kindredlost

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Is that an Owon5022?

Been using mine for a couple of months now, and its niiiiice.

Yep. It's a good deal for the dough but Rigol makes one for less money with a faster sample rate. waah This Owon does fine for what I need with synth work though.

I actually still like my BK Precision 2120 better for most stuff. When doing digital timing troubleshooting at work (CNC machine service) the analogue scopes are better at detecting RF interference and stray transient noise. They don't respond to everything. Digital can be too fast unless you set it up for hold recording. When diagnosing boards on a bench the digital scopes rule, but for whole system analysis in the field I like the analogues.

LoFi Junglist

kindredlost wrote:
Yep. It's a good deal for the dough but Rigol makes one for less money with a faster sample rate. waah

That's got a smaller screen thumbs up . I was considering the faster sampling rates, but i won't be working with RF anymore, just audio, so i thought it was fine.

Now that people know that you fix CNC systems you going to get heaps of hassling emails to get CNCDIY 3020 machines working hihi

... Mostly from me d'oh!

Kobold

parasitk wrote:

Coppersynth, October 2010 by parasitk, on Flickr

Wow, that copper is sexy as fek! Just browsing through this thread and that really caught my eye.

bridechamber

This is a fantastic thread -- very inspirational!

Andrew, I remember seeing your dummy years ago on the web and being completely awed by it. That's what it's all about!!!!!

And the coppersynth, and everyone else's.... so beautiful.

And you'll never get a picture of my bench! hihi

bridechamber

Oh wait, there are another nine pages..... droooooollllll............

falafelbiels

bridechamber wrote:

And you'll never get a picture of my bench! hihi

Oh yes we will!

XCenter

12HU of my DIY:

fonik

this looks goooood. will i be able to take a look at it next weekend? or even put my hands on it?

XCenter

Hi Matt,

sure, HK11 was my deadline to get some finished boards hidden behind the panels. And I ran out of time finally. No VCPS running flawless and paneled, both VCRingMods running but not paneled. VCSwitches unfinished... waah
HK12 will see an exclusive Fonitronik rig. Promised. oops

jooks

This thread is fantastic! So many awesome builds screaming goo yo

@auftaschend I just love your frontpanels and diy-style!

@XCenter BEAUTIFUL w00t

Here is my workplace and some built and in process diy panels. Not very original but much fun:-)

kupfer_m

Here's mine with my partner in crime enjoying a Combichrist lullaby...

MechaSeb

That is a great picture ! lol

Pfurmel

Jooks, that serge case with the ply-wood sides is lovely. Is it custom?

Dego

Jooks, I wish I had a basement to. Great looking panels. Makes me jealous... Guinness ftw!

Celtic Peasant

Godric wrote:
Here's mine

Godric

Cool Godric thumbs up! Awesome looking set up. Is the keyboard DIY as well?

Cheers,
Zoie

jooks

Pfurmel wrote:
Jooks, that serge case with the ply-wood sides is lovely. Is it custom?

Thanks! It´s going to be a folding case like the buchlas when I have 3 panels. There´s some drawings here at muffs for a similar case.

@Dego, yes the basement is super! I can recomend moving up north for cheaper access to a basement of your own thumbs up

analog604

wow some great work area and completed stuff in here!

Godric- sweet cozy setup and I like the all blue panel. Is that engraved?

Jooks those are great builds and I appreciate the organization you have. : )

pic to go into build thread at some point..
-J

Neutron7

auftauchend wrote:
hahaa no doctor thanks..with roughly 110 knobs its really a money question. and "making" means cutting a broomstick. works surprisingly well.

you should sell them to audiophools, they will pay hundreds of dollars for wooden knobs because they think it makes their amplifier sound better.

YashN

In which can be seen my first DIY project and the accompanying chaos:

The resurrection and improvement of a formerly 'dead' Korg Poly-800, which has become a modular/DIY lab of some sorts and which has got me completely hooked. It has the excellent custom Korg NJM2069 filter, which some have compared to the best CEM/SSM ones.

The Korg is what you see open in 'lab' mode.

Mods performed:
1. Extension of the battery leads and connection to external 9V power supply (resurrection) we're not worthy
2. Cutoff Frequency Pot
3. Resonance Pot
4. 12/24dB Switch
5. Osc1->Cutoff Frequency Pot
6. External Audio Into VCF Osc1 Mix Input Jack
7. External Audio Into VCF Osc2 Mix Input Jack
8. External Cutoff Frequency CV IN Input Jack
9. Osc 2 to Res CV In (on/off, currently just wires hanging out for more experimentation)

Lots of mods still possible and planned or explored, including:

1. Resonance CV IN Input jack
2. Rademacher->Walsh harmonics osc mix
3. External Audio Into VCF #3 - Noise/External Audio Switch and Input Jack
4. Osc1 CV Signal Input Jack
5. Osc2 CV Signal Input Jack
6. VCA CV Signal Input Jack
7. Amp Cross-Mod for Oscs
8. Multi-mode/state-variable Filter (switches/Mix pots)
9. Internal LFO CV to the various mentioned CV INs
10. Chorus board Depth/Speed Pots
11. Chorus board feedback switch/Pot
12. Chorus board Pseudo-Physical Modeling (simple Karplus-Strong) trigger(!)
13. Chorus board LFO CV to internal CV INs
14. Waveform multiplier mod
15. Integration of Expert Sleepers' Silent Way plugin for CV into those new CV IN Input Jacks (didn't manage to get it working on first few tries)

It's a very good synth to start with and this is why:

1. It can be had for cheap as many people think it's damaged forever when it loses its program memory. You just need to transfer the programs again through a wav or mp3 file when the synth is in Tape/Load mode.
2. It has an incredibly powerful filter and has analog signal paths within, so it can sound very good, but...
3. It was intentionally crippled internally by Korg (cost-cutting + 80's digital synth craze)
4. Therefore, there are a lot of potential mods that are initially easy but which open up the possibilities of the synth (i.e. the Moog Slayer and FM-800 mods).
5. It has an unusual but limited 'additive' Osc section based on Rademacher generation/synthesis. I say 'additive' because I am thinking of the usual additive as in sine waves additive, but in fact, Walsh generation removes harmonics when you 'add' more orders of the function. Therefore, doing the External Audio In mods will bring much more to the sound palette in a very easy way.
6. It also has a paraphonic synth architecture, together with a Bucket-Brigade Chorus, so you could get very good classic string sounds with it wink. The synth is not that complex to modify and use, therefore. Putting it into Chord mode allows you to have some monophonic-type of operation.

The way I use this now is:
Kurzweil K2500 Oscs -> Korg Poly-800 External Audio IN -> VCF -> Pro Tools FX (!)

This gets rid of the Osc limitations, the polyphony limitations and the Velocity to OSC amp or Vel-to-other destinations limitations prior to the VCF. Multi-track audio recordings show how much the Korg VCF filter warms things up. applause

So this is my modular setup currently...

The Kurz is an 88-key K2500XS + KDFX. It is a polyphonic semi-modular in itself (but DSP/Digital, not analogue).

You can also see on the lower right: an Arduino kit, which came with a mini-breadboard which makes me feel cramped sometimes.

Not shown:

- an Ensoniq ESQ-1 soon to be 'parted',
- a Yamaha Sy-22 (soon to be parted/sold too - PM me if interested).

Some videos of my summer progress on DIY and the mods are here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yashnu?feature=mhsn

Enjoy!

slaughterhousesam

thats me, right there smile

some eurorack, then the gold and black are diy, as is the 6u off to the right. think im done now....

i hope im done now....

i may not be all that done now...having to slap my own wrist when i catch myself checking out progress on that haible vocoder razz

anyway,

haible:
interpolating scanner x 2
scanner chorus
solina chorus
krautrock phaser
living vco X 2
stormtide flanger
freq shifter

fritz:
teezer x 4
jerkster x2
dual well x 2
threeler

cgs:
bintic x 2
wavefolder
gate logic x 2
slope gen x 2
dual lfo x 2
analog logic
stomp box adaptor x 2
asr
slope detector
wasp filter
active ring mod

yusynth:
panning stereo mixer
fixed filter bank

tellun:
neural agonizer

motm:
440 filter

scott stites:
klee

and a bunch of mixers and attenuators in the gaps.

slaughterhousesam

the pulse and digitech quad effects are just there to fill the visual gap and stop me plotting to fill it with something else. they arent even plugged in smile

YashN

With that much, you have to appreciate the curved table smile

Questions: favorite VCO, VCF, VCA, favorite module?

mckenic

YashN wrote:

Good to see someone else with the PM 0.4s! I have mine in my bedroom and I love em! Have PM05s in my attic studio too. Gonna get Genelics when I have the dosh as I fell in love with them in Uni and found them so easy to mix on!

thumbs up

rezzn8r

slaughterhousesam wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING wow. beautiful system. looks like it would be wonderful to use. applause we're not worthy

slaughterhousesam wrote:

something wonderful word cannot describe how much this picture pleases me nanners

slaughterhousesam

YashN wrote:
With that much, you have to appreciate the curved table smile

Questions: favorite VCO, VCF, VCA, favorite module?

wrap-round rocks ;P

just out of sight is a big monitor and an el capistan and time factor

fav module is easy - haible freq shifter - that thing is just gorgeous

fav vco is a toss-up between the teezer and the living vco, all depends on mood, theyre quite different.

fav vca - i do like the caustic acid of the threeler, but you cant beat the 440 fatness tbh smile

fav vca - pushing the defintion somewhat, but you can do some nuts things with a fully vc interpolating scanner

im becoming convinced that, if youre doing anything other than straight up subtractive, fixed ffb modules are as essential as vcas - and the yusynth is a pearl

savage_vomit

WOW

slaughterhousesam

my hit/miss ratio on all that was unbelivable.

every module worked first time (pending calibration)

only toasted one pcb, a 4 stage cgs folder (6 stage one ended up behind the panel), and thats only because i was testing it bare on the lid of the monster base from an existing psu, and cable tension slid it off the cardboard it was sitting on right over the metal edging of the base case lid - shorts everywhere.

replaced all the ics on that, but it never showed a glimmer of life again.

but it never get mounted behind a panel so doesnt really count in the loss column smile

YashN

I was actually out to get some KRK Rokit pair, but then I compare the sound and the soundstage of the Fostex to others and I was satisfied. Compact, powerful, seemed colorless and balanced, superb soundstage, got those and they're still going strong.

mckenic wrote:

Good to see someone else with the PM 0.4s! I have mine in my bedroom and I love em! Have PM05s in my attic studio too. Gonna get Genelics when I have the dosh as I fell in love with them in Uni and found them so easy to mix on!
thumbs up

Neutron7

this is where i build stuff, rather than my synth setup. Ikea expedit shelves bolted together and bolted to some legs and the wall. ikea drawer thingy.
self made table part.

Light was adapted from something a neighbor threw out. those are chinese ebay LED bulbs!

6 pictures stitched with microsoft ICE,

there are a bunch of component drawers and stuff on the other side of the door.

I am building a little utility module with just the basics, as well as a power outlets, amplifier/speaker and stuff. will be a panel on one of the shelf boxes.

falafelbiels

Cozy...

gigasturtz

must post more before i can post images.

gigasturtz

want.... to.... show.... you....

well, I guess I can explain first. I started building my modules a few months ago. So far all I have been making are Ray Wilson's designs from MFOS. I bought a couple of boards from him (VCO and power supply) but for the most part I have been etching my own boards. I have also been making my front plates out of acrylic, using a laser cutter at LVL1 (a hackerspace in louisville, ky where I live). I have a VCO, a dual LFO, and a dual VCA done (the VCA needs fixing....) and a dual ASDR alllllmost done. Pic to follow!

gigasturtz

aaaaannnnnnd here it is!

I just ordered a board for the MFOS 10 step sequencer as well.

falafelbiels

Wow that picture almost fooled me, floating parts! Nice job, gigasturtz

Cable

zthee wrote:

I need a wider lens. w00t

Oh that little lonely module in that little boat, it was lovely to try it out on norberg!

Neutron7

If you are a windows user, there is a thing from microsoft called ICE which is free. i just dragged a bunch of photos i took in sequence, and did NOTHING ELSE and it stitched this up for me.

and there is my modular asking for more stuff with all that empty space!

Sebo

Hi:
Here is a video interview to my band, showing my DIY Modular Synth.
Some nice shots!!!

Hope you like it!!!

Sebo

http://www.cosaquitosenglobo.com.ar

streetspirit

absolutely love this diy section. these systems are inspiring. just build my first kit from MFOS this month. got the diy itch now... gonna build some euro modules now i think.

andrewF

dunno if these pix can give a good impression of my obsession... its much worse than it looks, the cupboard is packed with all kinds of archaic electronica - 1000s of tube, old dials, etc recycled from old lab gear.....crap really
note the panel on the chair ready to be almost sat on, in timeless muffwiggler fashion

LoFi Junglist

Wooden tube amp?

andrewF

LoFi Junglist wrote:
Wooden tube amp?

another bit of diy, i love it, loud enough for me and has worked perfectly for years. its a bit dangerous tho, lots of holes with 400V lurking inside waiting for prying fingers. -

LoFi Junglist

It great, the power transformer looks Awesome...

It's like 1/4 of the size of the CRO hihi

sduck

AndrewF is my hero!!! woah

andrewF

lol At least in the sense of how NOT to do diy

I need a shed

analog604

I updated the diy workbench using chunks of metal bolted together into the shape of a desk tier :

Provides more surface area to test circuits with the bench PSU and o'scope (not pictured). This is getting use as I focus more debugging the modules being built!

On the bench here: MFOs VCO and MOTM-960 power adapter board mounted to a 19" perforated steel panel

-J

EATyourGUITAR

your parts bins are inspiring. I only have two cases but they are all labeled and sorted. I don't know how you do it without labels. reading resistor colors is boring for me. I spent a whole day stocking my parts bins and labeling them. that is love for DIY.

fluxmonkey

the workbench:

storage & drillpress:

parts bins

burdij

This view is a bit dated. Since taking it I have added a Wavetek sweep generator and an HP DVM.

andrewF

fluxmonkey wrote:
the workbench:

storage & drillpress:

parts bins

that looks like a great workshop, i would be very happy in there

andrewF

burdij wrote:
This view is a bit dated. Since taking it I have added a Wavetek sweep generator and an HP DVM.

some groovy vintage lab gear love

kupfer_m

[quote="fluxmonkey"]the workbench:

Nice "SuperSaw" you have! hihi

fluxmonkey

kupfer_m wrote:
Nice "SuperSaw" you have! hihi

played w/ a bow, it really cuts thru the mix screaming goo yo

Rod Serling Fan Club

I want to see all your "serge" panels flux.

RF

burdij wrote:

I think I spy an HP distortion analyzer on the bottom left of your benchtop?

burdij

Yes that is an HP 331a. I have the older HP 330b too (matches the HP200 oscillator). The large yellow unit is also a distortion analyzer, a Sound Technology 1700a. It incorporates a low distortion oscillator and analyzer in one unit.

Richarius

Here's a pic of my $PLURJ! modular as of January 3rd. I'm in the process of converting all of my copper panels to the black on white laminated panels.
As of a few days ago, I've just started building a pile of CGS Serge modules that came in. we're not worthy to Ken Stone / Serge Tcherepnin.

There's a 19" rack to the lower left that also contains:

1 x MFOS 16 step analog sequencer
4 x Quadatrix 4 Step Semitone 1V/octave sequencers (my design)
1 x Thomas Henry MPS
1 x Liquid HiHat V3 'Bentley' edition (my design)

To the right out of the photo is my extremely messy workbench. I'll take a photo if anyone's curious. smile

sduck

Where's Dethlehem?

Hi Dolphinicus! I love your videos on youtube! Everybody find them, watch them, fetish over them - they solve a lot of the mysteries of the universe. And make me want to take up smoking...

Richarius

sduck wrote:
Where's Dethlehem?

Hey chief! LONG time no speak! grin

After 17+ years since I'd coined the name, I'm roughly in the middle of shutting the name down. eek! It's gone it's course, but doesn't reflect who I am / etc. / or anything any more.
Basically - I just wish to continue having fun in life, designing modules and making either nice and musical or, bleepy bloopy sounds. Whichever. Just as long as I can have fun and share it with anyone else interested. smile

Quote:

Hi Dolphinicus! I love your videos on youtube!

Thankee! grin There again - I just like to have fun. If I can make others laugh as well as help clue in about something then, all's cool. smile

Quote:
Everybody find them, watch them, fetish over them

hyper Guinness ftw!

Quote:
- they solve a lot of the mysteries of the universe. And make me want to take up smoking...

See? Smoking IS good for you! razz lol

Quote:

Yay! A quote video of my 'The Judge' invention! grin Hahaha. I haven't been able to find a single hardware or software sequencer in history, that has that function. I HAD to shoot the demo videos of it, as soon as I got my hardware version of it up and running. smile Simple as heck - anyone that can patch together a few steps of different voltages, to compare them (comparator) with a random voltage - can have that function as well. smile (Ken Stone pointed out that his Gated Comparator can imitate it, as well.)

Anyhoo ... just about jumping for joy non-stop emotionally, as I've gotten my 1st 2 Serge modules (a pair of Serge/CGS Universal Slope Generators) up and running! grin I have been drooling over that module since first drooling over my first Serge catalog in about 1992. Thanks to Ken, the first 2 of my ordered 4 are up and at'em. Can't wait til I can play with them.

/rant off. Sorrya bout that. Just so excited at the moment. grin Can't stop babbling .... eek!

falafelbiels

Richarius wrote:
Here's a pic of my $PLURJ! modular as of January 3rd. I'm in the process of converting all of my copper panels to the black on white laminated panels.

Now why would you go and do something like that? It looks good like this!

Richarius

falafelbiels wrote:
Richarius wrote:

Now why would you go and do something like that? It looks good like this!

Thankee greatly sir! But ... in the 12+ years that I've built modular gear, it's always looked ... amaturish. :( I've almost always built my panels too quickly, in order to play with whichever new modules asap. But I've become tired of the 'look', wishing for something a little closer to 'professional' looking like almost everyone's that I see here as well as formerly, on EM.
This laminating method though colourless, is quick as heck and still allows me to have something a little more presentable looking that I can be a bit prouder of. smile

I DO love the look of the copper though. Missing that, but I wasn't able to come up with a quick and easy way to make them look great. I don't have lots and lots of so ... and this new way is cheap too.

mome rath

Dancing Star

falafelbiels

A girlfriend came along a week ago that likes to take pictures, so finally I have something to show off. I moved to a new house half a year ago so it was about time for an update!

I have about another cabinet worth of modules ready but no new cabinet so the next update may come sooner...

SMS303

applause

SLAMBERT

Just completed the 6 mods on my Moisturizer!
Now it's even more fun to play and full of surprices..
It's a mess inside but it looks very pretty from the outside with the new switches & knobs.

Zeitdehner

Well done Slambert, nice first post... thumbs up

Here's mine ...

Cheers

SLAMBERT

Nice one Zeitdehner!
But you need to do that last mod. It's a mess but you won't regret it - changing the position of the filter really makes the thing sing!

Zeitdehner

Yep, I know it's worth the effort, but I need to take a day, to concentrate on that...so many things to do... for sure I'll get to it, eventually

j9k

I just put this together for prototyping.

from left to right.

Ac power input
4 buffered voltage output knobs +-12v, 0-12v
2 switched euro power distribution
stepped 1volt output 0-10v and 0- -10v output.
expert sleepers es-3
as vco
as filter

bottom row
meter clips
proto boards.

I'm working on a generic high gain amplifier right now.

fonik

that's great. how did you fix the breadboards? just srewed them down to the rail?

j9k

yeah I had to trim the aluminum a little and did like you said.

frequencycentral

Just getting started on the second rack:

Pfurmel

^Looks really neat with the matching graphics.

Epoch

frequencycentral wrote:
Just getting started on the second rack:

<Swoon>

fonik

sorry, rong thread...

craque

I agree, one of the best threads here. hihi

I've been in the experimental music improv business a much longer time than I've been an electronics builder, so the stuff I make tends to be only for me to use with my performing... as such, there's really no markings whatsoever on any of my homebuilt gear!

At the top my 'Thorax' - six music box guts screwed into a 4x4 with a contact mic.

To the right of that, my improvisation soundboard, with all sorts of objects, also contact mic'd.

The black box is a dual oscillator each with LPF, one modulating the other, with octave switches and momentary switches for quick one-shot plays that also can stay on for drones.

The center box is a buffered overdrive, gives an awesome overtone thickness to the drones from the black box, but I use it a lot with the contact mic devices for a nice thick buffered signal that gives a really great sound.

My cigarbox masterpiece there is a six-position modulating dual LFO each with LDR control, phase control knob and LPF as well as an attenuator output.

Below that you see hints of my three-month old beaut of a eurorack!

roglok

My Wigglin' Workbench:

falafelbiels

Does that bench autowiggle?!?!

roglok

Quote:
Does that bench autowiggle?!?!

only when the LFO is running at audio rates...

valis

craque wrote:
I agree, one of the best threads here. hihi

I've been in the experimental music improv business a much longer time than I've been an electronics builder, so the stuff I make tends to be only for me to use with my performing... as such, there's really no markings whatsoever on any of my homebuilt gear!

At the top my 'Thorax' - six music box guts screwed into a 4x4 with a contact mic.

To the right of that, my improvisation soundboard, with all sorts of objects, also contact mic'd.

The black box is a dual oscillator each with LPF, one modulating the other, with octave switches and momentary switches for quick one-shot plays that also can stay on for drones.

The center box is a buffered overdrive, gives an awesome overtone thickness to the drones from the black box, but I use it a lot with the contact mic devices for a nice thick buffered signal that gives a really great sound.

My cigarbox masterpiece there is a six-position modulating dual LFO each with LDR control, phase control knob and LPF as well as an attenuator output.

Below that you see hints of my three-month old beaut of a eurorack!

That's a cool looking setup. My first DIY project was in a cigar box that looks pretty similar to yours. Warms the heart.

craque

valis wrote:

That's a cool looking setup. My first DIY project was in a cigar box that looks pretty similar to yours. Warms the heart.

The "Made by Hand" sort of sealed the deal on using that one. It's a great little warped LFO!

ZoeB

So my partner and I have been building a step sequencer together:

Hopefully in a few months it should be ready to share properly. We plan to make the whole thing open source, for both the software and hardware.

Emalot

NO pictures, but demo of the VCF ARP from Yusynth.
FM with autoscillation!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16883731/ARP%20VCF%2006.2012.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16883731/ARP%20VCF%2005.2012.mp3

(I dont find place or topic "Demos of your DIY modules")

L-1

I've already posted this picture but it must be in this thread.

notmiserlouagain

Quote:
I've already posted this picture but it must be in this thread.

L-1 you crazy mxxxxxfxxxxr there you are completely right - better than startrek
i would be highly interested in some demo of your soundsystem if it is to your liking (;

me i´m more on the moron side of diy but this is a picture i´ve also posted before in "your tunes here" it´s my selfmade fm-cycle synth who is behaving real bad: you can´t control this device you have to try until you find a cool sound, good thing: you don´t have to try long

Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat.

Emalot

"fm-cycle synth", what is it?? Two oscillators with cross modulation inside?

notmiserlouagain

hi emalot

it´s 2 single and 1 double oscillators with square and triangle outs
and fm-inputs than can go e.g. like 1->2->3->4->1 etc. or from other devices
oscillators can be switched to lfos
it has an inbuilt lopass with resonance that can´t be controlled from outside but should respond to the osc-freq via selfmade vactrol but it doesn´t work like i intended but sounds cool anyway

it has also voltage starvation

now have a nice weekend!

Rod Serling Fan Club

Where do y'all get those oldschool green esd mats?

FieldStudies

I don't know about the ES properties, but I use an Alvin self-healing cutting matt (and it looks like several others do to).

Comes in old-school green/yellow.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-cutting-mats/

roglok

that's exactly what's sitting on my desk: a cutting mat.

Rod Serling Fan Club

That's right... I remember them from drafting class in high school. When I see them there is an odd nostalgia that kicks in.

Luka

i havent built anything in almost a year but i just got all my toys back from the people i had leant them to.
things are starting to chill out and it looks like it might be a nice winter to bunker down to build some more toys and make some music smile

valis

That looks really fantastic. Does the tape machine still work?

Luka wrote:

things are starting to chill out and it looks like it might be a nice winter to bunker down to build some more toys and make some music smile

You crazy Australians with your concept of winter in June!

Adam-V

valis wrote:

That's nothing compared to the twisted poetry of Christmas in summer and singing carols about snow, roasting chestnuts and open fires...

Cheers,
Adam-V

valis

haha I bet hihi

Luka

valis wrote:
That looks really fantastic. Does the tape machine still work?

Luka wrote:

In theory it works but in practice it just sits there are looks pretty - perhaps ill try set it up as a delay sometime this winter

valis

Sounds exactly like my tape machine.

Luka

i think ill krank it up some time soon - my recording laptop is out of action so i think it is time to learn how to use it.

finally had time to powerup my modular - here it is

Adam-V

Nice one Luke.

Wish I had more time to spend with my modular. I think I've only managed a few hours with it over the last couple of months.

Cheers,
Adam-V

photon

I finally filled up my lower cabinet. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out. Next up a portable suitcase synth and studio cabinet #3.

Top Cabinet

Row 1: XR-VCO (T.Henry), Mankato LPF (T.Henry), Wave Multiplier (CGS), 291 BPF clone (my first pcb layout!), Klangwerk Balanced Modulator (Blacet), VCA-1(T.Henry)

Row 2: Morphing Terrarium (MOTM), Analog Shift Register (CGS), Synthacon Filter (CGS), FX send (CGS), Mixer/ Processor (Blacet), Dual Presets/Pattern (Bugbrand), Dual Low Pass Gate (Fonik), Dual VCA [unfinished] (T.Henry)

Row 3: VCO (MFOS), Noise/ S&H (MOTM), Korg Resonator (Fonik), Multiples, Pulse Divider/ Logic (CGS), Miniwave (Blacet),
Uncorrelated Random Voltages (from the Easel, thanks Romeo), ADSR (MFOS)

Row 4: SNVoice (T.Henry, #3 Wogglebug x2, ADSR (MFOS), VCLFO (MFOS), Super Psycho LFO (CGS)

Lower Cabinet

Row 1: FX send (CGS), Dark Star Chaos (Blacet), VCLFO (MFOS), Gated Comparator (CGS), Utility LFOs (CGS), VC Slope (CGS), Hardware Neurons (G. Richter),

Row 2: 266 Stored Random Voltages [unfinished], 266 Quantized Random Voltages [unfinished], Binary Zone (Blacet), Dual Attenuverter (Fonik), 266 Sample & Hold, Dual Burst Generator (CGS), VCA (MOTM), 440 LPF (MOTM)

Row 3: Overdrive (Oakley), Living VCOs (J. Haible), VC Clock & Event Generator (Blacet), Multiples, 2x 281 Function Generator clones (Toppobrillo)

Row 4: Joystick, Appendage (Stites)

falafelbiels

Lotsa Love

Luka

so hawt.. still lovin your klee too smile

andrewF

looks fantastic and an awesome range of modules

astroschnautzer

My 4U DIY, still some small things to work on
toppo wavefolders & 281, quad lpg (TW), ina fritz chaos & wogglebug on top row. +
CGS SWAMP AND BOG, utility at left with two quantizers, two buchlidian voltage processors and dave kendall/fonik midi to clock...

+ Elektor Formant

Popski

That homebrew Model D is amazing!!!
applause

Moog$FooL$

Popski wrote:
That homebrew Model D is amazing!!!
applause

i'll second that!!!! thumbs up

bkbirge

This thread amazes me daily. Bring on the zombie apocalypse 'cause no way is humanity goin' down with you guys out there.

floris

top row looks crazy astroschnautzer!
you convinced me to get more colors of these small boss knobs.

astroschnautzer

floris wrote:
top row looks crazy astroschnautzer!
you convinced me to get more colors of these small boss knobs.
My favourite knobs smile Good grip + lots of colors...

craque

props on the DL4 astroschnautzer! love the thing it's sitting on too. thumbs up

astroschnautzer

craque wrote:
props on the DL4 astroschnautzer!
hihi I never use it, don't know even why it is there , guess I forgot it there applause hmmm.....

damn! Where can one buy those boss style knobs?

Doing the google and all I can find are black ones...

Moog$FooL$

damn! Where can one buy those boss style knobs?

Doing the google and all I can find are black ones...

i'm thinking smallbear might have 'em.

seriously, i just don't get it

astroschnautzer

In europ musikding will have them, and smallbear has them in US: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1038

Hosaka

So astroschnautzer, how about a new Tutankhamon 9000 record with this shmexy gear? 8_)

astroschnautzer

Hosaka wrote:
So astroschnautzer, how about a new Tutankhamon 9000 record with this shmexy gear? 8_)
Oh yes, that is coming up, had a pause in making trance, got bored of it but now I'm in again....smile

astroschnautzer wrote:
In europ musikding will have them, and smallbear has them in US: http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=1038

thanks for the link!! thumbs up

Hosaka

astroschnautzer wrote:
Hosaka wrote:
Oh yes, that is coming up, had a pause in making trance, got bored of it but now I'm in again....smile

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Dead Banana

mb123music

astroschnautzer wrote:
My 4U DIY, still some small things to work on
toppo wavefolders & 281, quad lpg (TW), ina fritz chaos & wogglebug on top row. +
CGS SWAMP AND BOG, utility at left with two quantizers, two buchlidian voltage processors and dave kendall/fonik midi to clock...

+ Elektor Formant

Would love to hear some sounds of this!!!! applause
Looks Awesome thumbs up thumbs up

astroschnautzer

4 Tracks multitracked with the banana synth, no editing just some reverb...

[s]http://soundcloud.com/astroschnautzer/4138765-1[/s]

sonicwarrior

My 5U setup is not in showable state so I'm just showing my messy DIY corner as I've mounted two racks on the wall and cleaned the table a bit:

(only one rack visible, the other looks the same and was empty at that time anyway)

roglok

you call that messy? it looks like a trade fair booth hihi

Dego

That is german messy hihi

sonicwarrior

Is this a mess?

That's my main storage space.

And I have got a new table now:

iL

not really a picture. hope this is not to off topic then.

first power up.

sonicwarrior

This shows both my DIY and my modular corner. This was taken the last weekend when I glued the bus boards in the cabinet on the left side.

Btw. I have lost a package with solder lugs so I would definitely call it a mess.

andrewF

Here's my 5m x 6m workshop. I paid the deposit for it last March and was told it would be ready in 4-5 weeks.
Latest info I got is it will be late August................5 months to build a fucking shed angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

The company is Stratco Canning Vale in WA. Apart from being straight up misleading, they have never attempted to communicate with me, every missed deadline goes by with not a peep, always up to me to find out what the fuck is going on...or not going on

sorry for the vent, the lack of solder fumes is making me go fucking insane.
very frustrating

limpmeat

I don't know how you can get mad with such a cute puppy running around smile

Adam-V

So, you've got a lab instead of a shed...

Cheers,
Adam-V

andrewF

Adam-V wrote:
So, you've got a lab instead of a shed...

oh dear Pokeout

Luka

so you have been kicked out of the house smile

andrewF

Luka wrote:
so you have been kicked out of the house smile

no.... I only have synths and various electronics in the living room, study, spare room, bedroom and back verandah.
The kitchen, bathroom and laundry are synth-free, so no worries It's motherfucking bacon yo

andrewF

limpmeat wrote:
I don't know how you can get mad with such a cute puppy running around smile

hard to stay mad for long love

he had a minor freak out the 1st time he heard my modular eek!

CLee

andrewF wrote:
Here's my 5m x 6m workshop. I paid the deposit for it last March and was told it would be ready in 4-5 weeks.
Latest info I got is it will be late August................5 months to build a fucking shed angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

You didn't hire Cyndustries to build that shed did you?

that dog is 100% adorable

Moog$FooL$

love love love

i'll second the "puppy-love" here!!! Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Lotsa Love

as for the shed..... what the hell!! they're not building an arena..... what's the hold up? angry angry Dead Banana

can't wait to see what you do with once it's up Andrew.... love those builds!! thumbs up

nathanxl

Recently got heavily into SDIY, mainly Lunetta at this stage but will move onto other stuff soon as I build some skilz.
Here is where I spend most of my time!

roglok

nathanxl wrote:
Recently got heavily into SDIY, mainly Lunetta at this stage but will move onto other stuff soon as I build some skilz.

beautiful!

nathanxl

roglok wrote:

beautiful!

I hadnt thought it beautiful, just a comfy place to spend hours in and make stuff.
Im glad you think it so. Thanks.

andrewF

dig the biggest 'scope ever sitting above the most smallest razz love

nathanxl

andrewF wrote:

Haha. Bifocal scopes for my aging eyes! I think the little one got an inferiority complex as it crapped itself recently... A 500v cap started spewing acrid mud and smoke. Must get onto fixing her.

Reese P. Dubin

Saw your machines over at EM Nathan, amazing work!

Selektro

hi all,

Heres my latest (first-ish) build. Not as truly analog as lots of the gear on here but please dont bite seriously, i just don't get it . I have analog Roland kit and DIY stuff but no modular......yet. Hope you like it

Moog$FooL$

good for you. thumbs up

any diy is good diy.

schmidtc

andrewF wrote:

What kind of scope is that anyhow?

nathanxl

schmidtc wrote:

What kind of scope is that anyhow?

A BWD 1722B
Huge 52cm screen.
It was used in education so students at the back of the class could see the demonstration clearly.
It has a glitchy external trigger which I must fix. Totally fine otherwise.

ossi_fx

This is what i have accomplished so far. I started building this Euro around year ago. I have finished few more modules after this photo was taken.

[/img]

falafelbiels

That in a year? Are you in a hurry for something?
And now I notice there is a baby in your house too, where do you find the time?

Looks very classy. So what's in it?

falafelbiels

Selektro

Very cool sequencer, quite involved and it seems very usable in live situations in your hands at least.

And you got the proper workshop mess to go with it!
Please follow up with the euchlidian stuff.

ossi_fx

falafelbiels wrote:
And now I notice there is a baby in your house too, where do you find the time?

Looks very classy. So what's in it?

Thanks.

Yep, finding time for sdiy when you have small kids around is always quite challenging, usually it means building at late night hours..for me atleast.

My modules so far:

4 x LFO( 2 audio rate/ 2 basic), 1 x Psycho LFO, 4 x Buchlidian CVPs, 2 x 6 ch mixer, 2 x MFOS SVFs, 2 x FCUK Roland ADSRs, 2x Dual VCA, 1 x Dual MFOS VCA, 4 x Buf. Multiples, 1 x CGS Wavefolder, 1 x CGS Synthacon Filter, 1 x Triple Noise Generator and some passive modules like Attenuators, Switches, plug converters etc...

Next projects is going to be some VCOs.

falafelbiels

Oh grab some Fonitronik made Thomas Henry X4046 VCOs. Easy build, works all the time and nicely so.

ossi_fx

falafelbiels wrote:
Oh grab some Fonitronik made Thomas Henry X4046 VCOs. Easy build, works all the time and nicely so.

Glad to hear, i (pre)ordered few of these X4060s couple of weeks ago. Also i bought this FCUK's Waverider, so there's some nice VCOs coming.

JJ

falafelbiels wrote:

He is in a hurry now. We have out first gig on the 26th. A new modular trio, me, ossi_fx and theabsent. thumbs up

andrewF

Some may remember my whinging post, (and photo of a vacant space) back in july, about the lengthy delays in getting my shed built.
Well its here and I'm in - and loving it (dog likes it too). The builders did a great job, the problems were coming from the company supplying the materials.

It is already getting full, probably should have a cull.

themanthatwasused

AndrewF
Wow congratulation!
It looks like a fully functional lab now.
I'm loving the skylight filtering in the natural light.
And that foldable case with three of your panels... yummy.
we're not worthy

falafelbiels

How long shall it be this tidy?

andrewF

falafelbiels wrote:
How long shall it be this tidy?

so far so good, but yeh 2 weeks tops.

The problem atm is remembering whats in the boxes. I labelled the boxes, but on many of them it just says "random crap" .....which doesn't help much d'oh!

Rod Serling Fan Club

Nice shop andrew!

Moog$FooL$

woah

where's Pinky?? zombie

but seriously wow!! that is fantastic good for you andrew.

andrewF

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
woah

where's Pinky??

Pinky is allowed in the house.

I'm setting up a bunch of synths in the study; Pinky, box, library Serge and the Korgs. My goal is to have most of my synths always set-up and ready to play at the flick of a switch.

nathanxl

andrewF wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
woah

where's Pinky??

Pinky is allowed in the house.

Looking forward to see what becomes of the Pinky's pregnant sister, she looks ready for action up there on the shelf! Mr. Green

emdot_ambient

andrewF wrote:
It is already getting full, probably should have a cull.

NO! Just build another shed. Then you could be Andrew "Two Sheds" F!

djs

andrewF wrote:
Some may remember my whinging post, (and photo of a vacant space) back in july, about the lengthy delays in getting my shed built.
Well its here and I'm in - and loving it (dog likes it too).

Do you have a heater in there for the winter months? or do you just turn all the gear on at once?

andrewF

Yes have a heater & the dog sleeps on my feet whilst soldering. I'm more worried about summer, we get a lot of 40C days here.....guess i'll just go for a swim instead

frequencycentral

Getting there! Built the first module in January. Got the custom case a couple of months back. Just got another Doepfer DIY kit to start the left hand side.

andrewF

frequencycentral wrote:
Getting there!

looking good - I have been wondering how your synth is looking these days, after building so many interesting modules Guinness ftw!

Celtic Peasant

Awesome shop Andrew! thumbs up

vaguefears

falafelbiels

t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

falafelbiels

hihi

Popski

Selektro wrote:
hi all,

Heres my latest (first-ish) build. Not as truly analog as lots of the gear on here but please dont bite seriously, i just don't get it . I have analog Roland kit and DIY stuff but no modular......yet. Hope you like it

wow! eek!
that thing is amazing!

nathanxl

vaguefears wrote:
This is the main noise/drone generating unit I'm now using...

DIY setup?

sduck

nathanxl wrote:
vaguefears wrote:
This is the main noise/drone generating unit I'm now using...

DIY setup?

not this shit again

falafelbiels

OK that does look cool. I hadn't noticed any DIY on the pic that was on there first.
it seems to me that Muffs' is lacking in a dedicated pedaldrone/noise artist section right? might be time for that, it's an interesting sport in itself...

falafelbiels

OK that does look cool. I hadn't noticed any DIY on the pic that was on there first.
it seems to me that Muffs' is lacking in a dedicated pedaldrone/noise artist section right? might be time for that, it's an interesting sport in itself...

Tombola

New garden office / shed. Never going to look this good again...

falafelbiels

That's photoshopped! No workshop looks like that!

fonik

he just did not start to work in this virginal workshop...

analog604

Cool and what a clean room!
Where is the microscope, the dental chair? Really it makes me wonder if the drawers are filled with stainless steel medical tools.

Is that a curved ceiling?

Tombola wrote:
New garden office / shed. Never going to look this good again...

spotta

My Modular
Including my new temp case, made for free by the kitchen fitters next door but one, just installed the rails today, my finished DIY modules & 80% of my (modular) backlog all in the same pic thumbs up

[/img]

TipTop power on its way to me right now.

sduck

That's a lot of Clarke! And a lot of backlog...

falafelbiels

Hey that's a nice way to store the backlog, mine's hidden away and I sometimescompletely forget about it. This is like slowly finishing a puzzle!. Nice!
Also, impressive system!

Adam-V

Nice system spotta, have you got a hi-res shot of it?

Cheers,
Adam-V

MechaSeb

Already posted in the Syntha related thread below but for the people who still haven't check my monolith twisted

andrewF

MechaSeb wrote:
Already posted in the Syntha related thread below but for the people who still haven't check my monolith twisted

Wow! that is something special. Could you post some sounds from it?

Luka

it is super cool

if i had a lot more time and money (and studio space) i think synthasythem would be next on the cards to build

hank

MechaSeb wrote:

Holy shit, that's quite something!

russma

please tell me about that "selective inverter" module.

love

spotta

sduck wrote:
That's a lot of Clarke! And a lot of backlog...

Clarke rules!
I wont be happy until I have a Clarke panel for my Klee and my Anshuri hihi

Adam-V wrote:

Cheers, I'll grab one later this week.

MechaSeb

Thanks for the very nice words guys ! Guinness ftw!

@andrewF : I've created a SoundCloud set where i'm going to upload more demos soon. But there is already two demos; one of the Ring Mod and the other of the VCFilter.

https://soundcloud.com/mechaseb/sets/synthasystem-synthesizer-demos

@russma : i perhaps should have precised but the system is not yet completely build. i have left 7 modules which are waiting for parts. Everything is ready to be wired and all pcbs completed though. Anyway the "selective inverter" is part of the yet to finish modules.

Honnestly i haven't yet figured out all the possibility of the modules but there is some nice infos on David's website.

http://user.xmission.com/~dingebre/Selective_Inverter.html

The Selective Inverter is a six input voltage summer with two outputs (A&E) that track each other in unison except when a trigger is applied. This causes output B to invert and move in exact contrary motion to output A. Ie, when output A is moving negative, output B is moving positive, when output A is moving positive, output B is moving negative.

The point where A and B meet is the point where A and B are at the instant the trigger is applied. When the trigger is released, output B moves instantly to wherever output A happens to be.

For example, this feature facilitates the playing of contrary motion from any devised note when using a keyboard. When using a foot pedal to apply the trigger, one can be playing several oscillators in unison and stop on any chosen note such as C and push the pedal. While the pedal is held, a scale of D, E, and F can be played. All oscillators driver by output A will play D, E, and F while all all oscillators driver by output B will play Bb, Ab, and G. If the pedal is now released all oscillators driven by output B will go from G to F. If the pedal is pushed again, F now becomes the point of unison and a scale played G, A, B, will cause all oscillators driver by output A to play G, A, B and all oscillators driven by output B to play D#, C#, B. Whenever the pedal is released, all oscillators will play in unison and track each other.

The Selective Inverter has six inputs, three of them feed through an input pot, and have a maximum voltage gain of approximately 2. They are marked VR at the input jack. The other three are fed straight in at a gain of 1. The first four of the inputs on the left side are non-inverting while the last two on the right are inverting, ie, with no trigger applied, a positive voltage fed into a non-inverting input will drive both outputs positive. A positive voltage fed into an inverting input will drive both outputs negative. Regardless of what inputs are used, output B always does the opposite of output A during the time a trigger is applied to the inverted trigger input or the pedal is pressed or the invert button is pressed.

The invert point can be set at ground and made non-selective by moving the invert point switched to the "fixed" position.

Since this module is a voltage summer, it can be fed into the calibrated input of each VCO. Several sources such as sequencers, keyboards, sample and hold, envelope generators, etc. can be added together to modulate several VCOs simultaneously and maintain perfect tracking from all sources.

this module can also be used as a six input audio mixer using output A as the signal output.

A voltage pot with an on-off switch is also on the front panel. When this switch is on, the outputs can be swept over a wide range by turning this pot.

Emalot

applause applause applause

spotta

Adam-V wrote:

Cheers,
Adam-V

High Res Shot
http://www.spotta.com/images/mod.JPG

thumbs up

chrissugar

Hi all

New member here. I registered today although I'm lurking on this forum for years.
I saw some very nice setups here. Hope very soon to post some pics with my own projects.

chrissugar

Tombola

fonik wrote:
he just did not start to work in this virginal workshop...

Completely true!

analog604 wrote:
Is that a curved ceiling?

No, that's just a distortion from the photo. There aren't many proper right angles in the building, but no curves...

plugugly

This is my hobby setup - my pride and joy.

And this is the start of my modest diy system:

It's my own take on the euro standard, and is being built with a good amount of recycled components, hardware, and free samples! Doesn't do much atm other than look rough, but its getting there. VCA(green) was completed just the other day. EG in the works.

plugugly

Deleted double post

falafelbiels

Don't be sorry about the double post. It was a good post with nice pics. I wouldn't mind two of those posts...
It's an eunana system, isn't it?

plugugly

100% nanners nanners nanners nanners

One of the goals for this project is to use up many of the spare parts I've been scavenging over the years. I have an obscene amount of old banana.

Thank you for the kind words.

hank

Nanners never die, they just go back to the bench to regroup. Thanks for the pics!

home_listening

hank wrote:
Nanners never die, they just go back to the bench to regroup.

This has to become some kind of DIY forum motto

hank

An IKEA bar table, currently home of my work in progress serge-style bundle of buchla/serge clones housed in a BUD box. Got the panel last night and of course the first thing I notice is a spelling inconsistency: VC Freq vs Freq VC, right next to each other! d'oh!

Keen eyes might notice 4" dedicated to a soon to be released PCB that I can't wait to lay my grubby hands on! thumbs up

fluxmonkey

beautiful panel, Hank! can't quite make 'em all out--what's the module selection (besides the TBA surprize)? and don't worry about the labeling: "consistency is the hobgobblin of small minds"

b

hank

Thanks! Thanks to FPE.

Left to right
- Buchla/Toppobrillo 281/2
- CGS analog logic/attenuverting mixer (same pcb)
- 2xThomas Henry/Fonik 555-VCO. Looked like an easy enough build so I got bold smile
- CGS Wave Multipliers
- CGS DC Mixer
- Buchla/Thomas White LPG
- Serge/CGS VCF (top 5 rows), single CGS VCA (bottom 3 rows)
- 1" utility strip w. +15/-15 indicator, a passive attentuator, a couple 3.5mm to 1/4" to banana converters and a ground jack.

falafelbiels

Looks very good Hank! What do you use for power?

hank

falafelbiels wrote:
Looks very good Hank! What do you use for power?

Thanks! I use a Blacet PS505 outside the box and a CGS MOTM distribution strip on the inside. Haven't decided on a permanent connector between the two yet but I'm leaning towards just having a simple MOTM power cable poke through a hole in the back of the box for simplicity's sake.

falafelbiels

I see, external. See I thought there would have been enough crammery going on inside that budbox and wondered how you'd gotten the power in. Is it tight in there?

hank

falafelbiels wrote:
I see, external. See I thought there would have been enough crammery going on inside that budbox and wondered how you'd gotten the power in. Is it tight in there?

Not too bad. Over an inch vertical clearance so far, but that will go down to ~ half an inch when I'm done stacking stuff in places.

Here's a quick and dirty sketch of the arrangement. The mounting rails are aluminum running alongside the length of the panel with holes for standoffs.

The horisontal inside ears of the box combined with the mounting rail makes taking the whole thing out a little annoying but not impossible.

Phalanxe

Been working on this lately. Sort of a best of CGS, but not the same layout.

Rick Burnett

Didn't see this thread before, but here is the custom rack I've built that also holds my portable case (monorocket). No custom built modules, but that is changing soon, working on a few things.

Also, the pressurepoints up top are going into another single row skiff I am building to sit in front of this for hands on modules.

Also, wow, some GREAT DIY in this thread!

Eric G

OK, I moved it to the Gloat thread...

sduck

edit: never mind

falafelbiels

No it's not

But I like seeing the workspaces too...

audioCTRL

What's in the old microphone case???

- Ohh! It's a little synthesizer!

- It looks so pretty!

- but as usual it's a complete mess inside...

Zeitdehner

applause Looks like a potent little beast 8_)

LetterBeacon

My synth hasn't been played properly in nearly two years! Tonight was the first night that I had time to have a proper go with it. Hooray!

corex

Here's my current build space. I was lucky enough to rent a house with shelves and peg board all over in the garage already. You can see that otherwise my organizational skills are perhaps a bit wanting...

sduck

Ok, here's my diy rig in it's current state, mostly.

When you get enough modules, you only need one patch cord.

(the MOTM 650 is the only one I didn't build)

KnobHell

Just beautiful

sduck wrote:
Ok, here's my diy rig in it's current state, mostly.

When you get enough modules, you only need one patch cord.

(the MOTM 650 is the only one I didn't build)

hexinverter

roglok wrote:
nathanxl wrote:

beautiful!

Wow, that is a cozy looking workspace! I want to live there. hehe. applause

hexinverter

Here is my current lab area smile

Revok

Damn it, Hex! You need to share that spot.

In all seriousness, it's awesome! What's the rat's name?

hexinverter

Revok wrote:
Damn it, Hex! You need to share that spot.

In all seriousness, it's awesome! What's the rat's name?

Hehe! Thanks man. I do sometimes!!! That's why there's a spare iron grin

That is Theta ...my bald little rattie This is fun!

regularjackson

the perspective makes it looks like it's built on a hill.

chrissugar

Hi all

Since the late nineties I had this idea to build a modular setup, mostly as a sound design tool to process audio files, but never really had the time to do it. Some years ago I decided it is time to start this project and made a list with all the relevant modules for my needs. At the beginning I had no intention to build VCOs, only filters, audio processors, various modulators, etc, but last year I decided to add oscillators to make it even more versatile.
What you see is still work in progress, a few modules are still on test boards (working fine) and I have to make them on proper PCBs.

This is only half of my project (here only four 5U panels) four more panels will be built in the near future. (total 12 different filters, lots of stompbox effects in one panel, other VCOs including wavetable, etc.)

Although it is built on 5U height rack panels it is my own design and it is not related in any way to the standard 5U modules. I defined my own distances for holes and everything. Panels are anodized and laser engraved.

Hope you will like it.

(click on pics to enlarge)

the panels:
VCO
VCF
PROCESS
CONTROL

details:
DETAIL 1
DETAIL 2
DETAIL 3
DETAIL 4

cabinets:
CABINET 1
CABINET 2
CABINET 3

studio racks:
RACKS 1
RACKS 2

chrissugar

ashleym

chrissugar wrote:

This is only half of my project (here only four 5U panels) four more panels will be built in the near future. (total 12 different filters, lots of stompbox effects in one panel, other VCOs including wavetable, etc.)

Although it is built on 5U height rack panels it is my own design and it is not related in any way to the standard 5U modules. I defined my own distances for holes and everything. Panels are anodized and laser engraved.

Gee-nee-uss.

Really inspiring. Even the photography is good. I love the design work of the designs on the panel. And any Waldorf fan os OK by me.

I feel a bit humble to suggest .....but...... no mixers? or is that no mixers yet?

I am working to a similar pattern to you, 5U and about 10 knobs wide. I am building a filter panel at the moment with a Wasp, PS3100 and CS80 filters on one panel but I also have a 4x4 mixer from CGS on it. Trust me there is room!!

ashleym

hexinverter wrote:

To quote the Damned "Neat Neat Neat". Isnt there a pot to keep the money you are extracting from us poor addicts with your sexy boards?

hexinverter

ashleym wrote:
hexinverter wrote:

To quote the Damned "Neat Neat Neat". Isnt there a pot to keep the money you are extracting from us poor addicts with your sexy boards?

Haha! This is fun!

I suppose one could say that income has manifested itself in the entire image of my lab! I just dump it all back into my projects xD

chrissugar

ashleym wrote:

Gee-nee-uss.

Really inspiring. Even the photography is good. I love the design work of the designs on the panel. And any Waldorf fan os OK by me.

I feel a bit humble to suggest .....but...... no mixers? or is that no mixers yet?

I am working to a similar pattern to you, 5U and about 10 knobs wide. I am building a filter panel at the moment with a Wasp, PS3100 and CS80 filters on one panel but I also have a 4x4 mixer from CGS on it. Trust me there is room!!

Thank you for the kind words.

Related to mixers, it is on one of the next four panels. In fact each panel is dedicated to specific functions (VCOs, VCFs, etc). One panel will have lots of utility things like multis, audio and CV attenuators, mixers, env followers, etc. (also I have a 9U eurorack (not seen in the pics) that contains many other utilities)

And if you mentioned Waldorf, I suppose you like them too, so here is a pic with even more Waldorfs (pulses)
WALDORFs

chrissugar

russma

That's a nice rig, chrissugar. Nice to see the venerable Matrix1000 in there too. And the the mixture of Waldorf and Studio Electronics synths is sublime.

thumbs up

hv0190

My wife says that my (85%) DIY system would even make a nice design object on top of the cupboard ... but I just can't imagine making funny noises in the hallway from now on ...

oldenjon

chrissugar wrote:
Hi all

chrissugar

Wow that is sexy. Nice work on those panels.

GrantB

chrissugar wrote:

And if you mentioned Waldorf, I suppose you like them too, so here is a pic with even more Waldorfs (pulses)
WALDORFs

chrissugar

Ah, I thought your name sounded familiar from groupdiy. I remember those beautiful DIY Pultecs from years ago. we're not worthy On the internet, we recognize people by their faceplates.

Welcome to muffs!

Moog$FooL$

HEX...... that space is to die for. thumbs up

whitewulfe

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
HEX...... that space is to die for. thumbs up

^This. I'd love to have that kind of space. And a rat too. razz

Revok

Amidst reorganizing everything hihi
I'm pretty sure the UPS man thought I was insane when I answered the door today.

Revok

all better

gareth33

Hey there

This is my first post, just want to introduce and say hi. I'm from London, am currently making psychedelic synth music from my home studio, I have a Arp Odyssey and OSCar, my next project is going to be starting an Oakley modular. I learnt electronics at school but haven't dabbled for many years, I'm working on a Gyraf SSL mixbus compressor which you may see on the table next to the Eventide.

My next two projects after the compressor are going to be an Oakley modular and a fantastic Pultec/Neve EQ from Igor Kapelevich over at Group DIY. I've been following this forum for a while but will hopefully contribute more in the future, at the moment I'm just trying to absorb all I can regards modular and synth DIY, a lot of different options available, so as I said before I'll be starting with an Oakley and take it from there. hihi
Greetings.

Gareth

ashleym

Looking good. We all love an ARP 'n'OSCar. Your music sounds very interesting, could you post a link? Good luck building.

Baszline

I've attended a Hordijk Benjolin DIY workshop in Rotterdam (May 2012) and recently/finally (March 2013) finished the Benjolin with a front panel and case! It's peanut butter jelly time!

RobotDad

OK, for the first time in too long there is a synth in progress on my desk so here is where I work. Hopefully that will be posted over in the gloat thread later this week. I built the desk there purposely for doing DIY stuff which would be primarily synth related. Unfortunately 3D printing took over everything including desk real estate over the last couple of years. I'll be rearranging soon and will post better lit pictures of what's hidden in the desk.

Techman

Here's a picture of my loft cum workshop. Features: Oakley modular, P3 sequencer, TB3031 9090, Shruti, laser harp (work in progress). Andy

Techman

Well that went well.
oops

roglok

you live up to your name, Techman hihi

now you got me really curious about that picture...

Techman

Let's try that again very frustrating

roglok

wow, looks great. the secret sound lab on 7½ floor! thumbs up

Techman

Yep, where the overheads are low lol

camelneck

@Baszline

Great Build. applause applause applause
Nice chunky, Moog-style knobs and a very compact design! 8_)

I do have a few questions:

1) What is a Benjolin?
2) What's the "Rungle In" jack for?
3) What does the "Rungler" pot do?

On second thought maybe they should have called this instrument "The Rungulator". hihi

Baszline

Thanks Camelneck! thumbs up

The Benjolin was built during DIY workshop with Rob Hordijk.
The PCB was populated during the workshop. I've made the front myself later (in style of the 5U Hordijk modules).
It's a 'noise box' with 2 VCO, VCF and the Rungler is some sort of random cv.
It 'mangles' your cv output where the Rungle pot determines the intensity.

"The purpose of the rungler is to create short stepped patterns of variable length and speed. One could categorize the circuit somewhere halfway between a plain S&H and a shift register-based pseudo-random generator", as how Rob is describes it.

Baszline

[s]https://soundcloud.com/duophone/conversation-between-rob-and[/s]

quincas

This is my system as it stands after 8 months of manic building. Another cabinet with more esoteric modules in the works Guinness ftw!

donpachi

quincas, just awesome
thumbs up Are these banana jacks I see?

quincas

Yes sir! It's a 4.5U synth with all banana jacks! Bringing the east and west together smile

donpachi wrote:
quincas, just awesome
thumbs up Are these banana jacks I see?

nathanscribe

Wow. There are some really, really nice setups here. My own humble efforts look somewhat backwards in comparison!

A selection of what's actually working:

Introspectiv 9090

Introspectiv 9090 by nathanscribe, on Flickr

8-step CV/Gate sequencer

DIY 8-step analogue sequencer by nathanscribe, on Flickr

A few modules

DIY Nodular modular synth by nathanscribe, on Flickr

wavehead

chrissugar wrote:

Hope you will like it.

(click on pics to enlarge)

the panels:
VCO

what is this thru-zero oscillator circuit? fritz..?
looks cool.

vtl5c3

Here's a pic of my performance system:

Modules are 7 inches tall.

roglok

vtl5c3 wrote:
Here's a pic of my performance system:

Modules are 7 inches tall.

what a fucking great synth & photo! we're not worthy

Isaiah

vtl5c3
Wowee Zowee!
Could you give a description of your system and maybe post a larger photo, please?

fonik

vtl5c3
your system is just heart breaking beautiful.

fonik

what's in there?

vtl5c3

Thanks for the kind comments!

I don't have a larger photo ATM, but here's what's in the system, top to bottom, left to right:

Milton Sequencer, VC Slew (Electronotes?), Dual 8 step sequencer, Blacet Binary Zone, CGS Matrix Mixer

CGS Utility LFO, Pulse divider (Polyfusion), 4mS RCD (w/ breakout), 4mS SCM (w/ breakout), Tom Henry Superseque, 8 step sequencer, Serge/CGS Dual Processor

CGS utility LFO, 2 LFOs, 4x Tom Henry ADSR (Polyphony?), Serge/CGS Dual Processor, 3 x Serge/CGS DUSG

2x Deluxe VCO (CEM 3340, Tom Henry design), CGS VCO, 2x Option 3 VCO (Electronotes), Morphing Terrarium (Synthtech), Option 4 VCOs (Electronotes), Serge VCO (old design)

Oakley COTA VCF, AMS 8019 VCF (Jupiter 8), SSM2044 VCF, Evenfall VCF, Dual Oakley Journeyman, SSM2040 VCF, Blacet MiniWave, Serge Wave mult, Haible Frequency Shifter, CGS ARRM

Buchla 111 Ring mod, Haible Tau Phaser, VC Spring Reverb (Polyfusion), Neural Agonizer (Tellun), dual PT2399 VC Delay, Haible Solina Chorus, 2 VCAs (Electronotes), Quad VCA (MFOS), Quad LPG (Buchla)

And it's all sitting on a shaky quick-lok stand.

fonik

delicious...

GrantB

woah vtl5c3

you don't need no stinkin front panel labels

performances, you say?

Girts23

GrantB wrote:
woah vtl5c3

you don't need no stinkin front panel labels

performances, you say?

I think, not labeling panels trains your memory and gives certain surprize effect in live performamces smile

iopop

My workbench in the corner of the livingroom. I will move to a new place in September and the missus is letting me have a room of my own for all the sdiy stuff. The drawback might be that no synth stuff is allowed anywhere else.. d'oh!

falafelbiels

Who's wearing the pants?

jmcecil

falafelbiels wrote:
Who's wearing the pants?

I am the head of my household, and I have my wife's permission to say so.

falafelbiels

applause

Girts23

I spent couple of moths to complete a small, transportable Eurorack version of Erica Modular. All modules (except obvious few) are DIY. And spent last tow nights experimenting smile

msprigings

Very cool. Time to repanel that phonogene grin

qu.one

Girts23 wrote:
I spent couple of moths to complete a small, transportable Eurorack version of Erica Modular. All modules (except obvious few) are DIY. And spent last tow nights experimenting smile

that is awesome! what's the Erica Modular? Is that just what you're calling your system?

Girts23

msprigings wrote:
Very cool. Time to repanel that phonogene grin

Thanx! But with respect to Makenoise, I'll not repaint Phonogene grin

Girts23

Thanx, qu.one. Erica inspires me smile So, I called a brand after her.

roglok

great stuff, girts!

roglok

ps: which quantizer is that, top left?

neandrewthal

Girts23 wrote:

Wow! Absolutely stunning! Amazing designs and excellent graphic work. Some of the plainest modules of the bunch make my best attempts at spiffing up my designs look amateur.

fonik

Girts23 wrote:

if this is the SMALL version, what is the big one???

Girts23

roglok wrote:
ps: which quantizer is that, top left?

The quantizer is on the PCB from http://www.acxsynth.com/. Alain has couple of interesting modules.
Girts23
neandrewthal wrote:
Girts23 wrote:

Wow! Absolutely stunning! Amazing designs and excellent graphic work. Some of the plainest modules of the bunch make my best attempts at spiffing up my designs look amateur.

Thank you! That was not my intention grin
Girts23
fonik wrote:
Girts23 wrote:

if this is the SMALL version, what is the big one???

It IS a bit bigger smile But really - thanx to all DIY developers and engeneers for making their projects available for DIY. It's sooo great! smile
RealDudes
Francesco
Really a wonderful work!!!
Where I can listen to your Erica?
thumbs up
Alwatrus
Here is my very cheap/handmade WSG drone.
Strip-board inside,
the case is made of 2 pieces : 1 bent stainless steel front panel and 1 wood piece for the back and sides panels. no screws but velcro tape smile
The drawings/labelings are done with a very simple ink transfer method

after some ridiculous (but reversible) circuit mods it sounds pretty unique, and became more than ever unpredictable.

Its a simple machine, it cost me about 50 €, but I'm making a lot of music with it, I love it !
falafelbiels
Lovely!
elmegil
That's an awesome design for the WSG.
grilojoe
I wish my WSG turned out looking that nice. At the time, I was just happy to have it built and functioning. Perhaps I'll rethink the enclosure at some point.
Francesco
a really cool wsg! thumbs up
Alwatrus
Thank you guys,
Here is how it sounds !

[bctrack]610472706[/bctrack]

It's part of a soundtrack I did with the WSG

Various layers of WSG are pitch shifted in MAX/MSP and mixed in a DAW.
I did some simple editing, some EQs and added some reverb but the only signal source is the WSG.

Rockin' Banana!
cane creek
Just finished building a X Envelope

mome rath

moved into a dungeon
Dancing Star
FSK1138

gotta start somewhere
nikmis
Here is the current state of affairs
Moog$FooL$

ok ok...... i obviously never built the moogerfoogers but i did build the case all by myself..... wweeeee!!!

It's motherfucking bacon yo nanners It's peanut butter jelly time!
dmitri
I only built the 6 panels in the folder & the one in the boat (the one in the boat for some one else)

The PAIA, my buddy built in the early 80s,

The Paperfaced Serge I recently acquired (early happybirthday to me!) was built by Peter Grenader in 1978. The guy who I bought it from purchased it in 82 from peter & had it ever since. the sock i used to clean the dirt off is now BLACK, Stand offs PCBs & rails were falling off, not one panel was mounted to chassis, all the frikkin knobs are gone ! The PCO never existed / never had a PCB, aside form that & 2 to 4 minor fixes to get modules working again, Heavily oxodized jacks & scratchy pots THIS THING WORKS !!!!

though I only built 2 out of the 4 DIY synths here I guess it is still 'my DIY' set up hehehe

I got a 4 panel tolex folding case completed at my buddys house ready for BOCGS & COA panels MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Horrible photo I know

plugugly
The Apple decal really ties it together! smile
LektroiD
The last photo is an extremely rare shot of my workbench in a tidy state (for some reason they posted in reverse order)...
ashleym
LektroiD- great to put a studio/workspace to your name and posts. Do I see a VZ10M in your rack? Nice!! I dont even know the meaning of the word tidy, so your place looks good to me. More power to your soldering iron thumbs up thumbs up
cane creek
I filled my first 9U, Now i need a new case to host all my DIY modules

falafelbiels
LektroiD

That last picture is surely photoshopped!
Barcode
falafelbiels wrote:
LektroiD

No kidding! Benches are never that clean....
LektroiD
Barcode wrote:
falafelbiels wrote:
LektroiD

No kidding! Benches are never that clean....

Ok, here's a more realistic photo (instead of "the wife would be proud" shot I posted earlier)...
falafelbiels
That's more lik it.
Moog$FooL$
while not quite up to most of higher standards on here, this pic of a section of my workspace/livingroom will have to do.
pre55ure

Current workbench.

Older workbench.

Part of the backlog Dead Banana

More backlog. w00t
StillNotWorking
pre55ure wrote:

Current workbench.

Older workbench.

More backlog. w00t

Thank you for posting these pictures pre55ure Guinness ftw! I will show them to my wife as proof that I'm normal SDIY. That is not to say I'm not crazy thought very frustrating
sduck
Glad you cleaned up a bit for the pictures!
falafelbiels
Nice to see a piece of reality again
andrewF
StillNotWorking wrote:
pre55ure wrote:

Current workbench.

Older workbench.

More backlog. w00t

Thank you for posting these pictures pre55ure Guinness ftw! I will show them to my wife as proof that I'm normal SDIY. That is not to say I'm not crazy thought very frustrating

thats what I just did
very useful pics, Thanks Guinness ftw!
Kickflip
pre55ure wrote:

I have to ask... what deck is that?
pre55ure
Kickflip wrote:

Appropriate question from someone named "kickflip" hihi

It's actually a custom deck that a friend got me based on the artwork from this album I did a while back.
Here
Kickflip
pre55ure wrote:
Kickflip wrote:

Appropriate question from someone named "kickflip" hihi

It's actually a custom deck that a friend got me based on the artwork from this album I did a while back.
Here

Precisely that hihi

Cool stuff!
Jarno
I don't often look in this thread, but I will from now on.
Makes me feel SO MUCH better to see that others have the same sort of working place / great big heap of stuff I do (and for which I am regularly ridiculed by family and friends). thumbs up

I'll post some pictures later on, and I'll promise not to clean up (not much anyway).

Modular and "desk"

Guitars, amps and overflow area
alain6870
I thought I had a mess in my studio-workshop... But I see I'm a rooky!! Cool lol
Peake
Normies just can't understand our beautiful messes waah
Jarno
+1 It's not a mess, it's a thousand opportunities! w00t
OSICA
My Diy setup:
andrewF
my workshop/shed has a sign

thanks to nathanxl thumbs up
xpando
andrewF wrote:
my workshop/shed has a sign

thanks to nathanxl thumbs up

thumbs up you need one of those across the back of a big NLC system..
andrewF
xpando wrote:

thumbs up you need one of those across the back of a big NLC system..

that's what is happening, this was a proto-type to choose the best colour (orange wins) CNC'd engraving infilled with resin.
nathanxl is putting together 6 panel cases for NLC systems, I'm getting two.
Would suit any Serge/Best of CGS/dmitri panel of course, tho you may not want the logo.
dJ dAb
Phetus
Niiiice case dJ dAb! Do you have any more pictures of the studio as a whole, looks like it would be awesome!
neandrewthal
I don`t know if you`ve noticed, but your frac has seven rows. I find this a very flattering arrangement.
nyd
My all MFOS 6U build

Hi-res pics and build info here: http://nydell.se/projects/modulator/
J3RK
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
while not quite up to most of higher standards on here, this pic of a section of my workspace/livingroom will have to do.

I'm working out of my bedroom closet right now. Mr. Green screaming goo yo

Maybe I'll have to grab a pic. hihi
the bad producer
This is very fucking nice! thumbs up

nyd wrote:
My all MFOS 6U build

mcop
the bad producer wrote:
This is very fucking nice! thumbs up

+1

Awesome build
falafelbiels
New best-looking synth of the year!

we're not worthy
Adam-V
That's a fantastic looking build nyd. I love the LED switches.

Cheers,
Adam-V
roglok
nyd wrote:
My all MFOS 6U build

your synth is what nudged me into building a DIY modular two years ago. maximum !
unease
falafelbiels wrote:

we're not worthy

Looks just as good in real life - extremely nice front panel design! Sliders are just so visual! I had a look at it when I bought a Eurorack case from Henrik.

/TOmmy
nyd
unease wrote:
falafelbiels wrote:

we're not worthy

Looks just as good in real life - extremely nice front panel design! Sliders are just so visual! I had a look at it when I bought a Eurorack case from Henrik.

/TOmmy

It's going to blend in well with the soon to be built TTSH. Those NKK GW-Illum switches are really nice, even the non Illum ones, very distinct feeling. Nothing for folks with very big hands though.
LetterBeacon
Amazing!
ashleym
nyd wrote:
My all MFOS 6U build

Now THIS IS what SDIY is all about Wow! Wow!

Brilliant use of different control types. Lovely switches, I personally like them a lot more that the metal toggle types. Sliders and rotaries perfectly selected. Great stuff. Do I detect a bit of Roland 700/100M?

If I could suggest something? Have you considered anodised screws as well? If you had matching screws I think you could take away a layer of visual clutter.

But don't let me and my comments detract from an amazing build.
Pfurmel
My attic:

Neutron7
Scored something on a trade.

Its a 60" x 30" globalindustrial.com electronic workbench with ESD top (made in china) and an overhead light that uses 2 t5 28w tubes. (haven't got them yet)

Im going to order a few parts i didnt get like the rear panel that holds bins, and some drawers.

the thing is strong as hell, i can stand on it and it feels like im standing on the floor. not that that is important for building stuff but it probably means its durable.

still have to set everything up, but working on electronics should be much less annoying now.

sorry for bad pic ill do a better one when its more set up.
_arch
So many impressive builds in this thread. Anyway, here's my system, almost finished, still two blank panels to fill

neandrewthal
Amazing! Nice system! Love the unified look.

Now go fill those last two panels t3h 8@nz3r@t3d
xavier07
Very nice we're not worthy
thumbs up
neandrewthal
Posting this pic here and in the 5U Setups thread with a link to a thread containing lots more pics and information to avoid clogging up the pic threads and so I can cross-post without as much repetition.

See more here.

ZoeB
nyd wrote:

This is one of a few homebrew synths I've seen here now that look better than most commercial ones. Fantastic work!
garbagelarge
A lot of beautiful builds in this thread.
jmcecil
very inspiring stuff!
apophis93
Here is my modular I have been slowly woking on the past few months thanks to the many Wigglers here…

I recorded this tonight with the setup you see in the picture.

https://soundcloud.com/asurarecords/the-eleventh-sun-drms-and

- DLA AKA APOPHIS93
OSICA
A lot of DIY smile

Phetus
nyd wrote:
My all MFOS 6U build

MY ASS IS BLEEDING This is pure pornography! Definitely NSFW.
Phetus
_arch wrote:
So many impressive builds in this thread. Anyway, here's my system, almost finished, still two blank panels to fill

This one too! Filthy!
msprigings
Outstanding looking system there.
grentel
looks great indeed. Hopefully mine will be there some day. I am kind of in a rut right now on my build...
plugugly
OSICA wrote:
A lot of DIY smile

Some wonderful switch and knob choices on those panels wink
Broadwave
It's amazing how DIY can turn into an obsession…. I started off building a JH Triple Chorus, but then the bug bit… HARD!

Taking a break for a while, so I can get my life back into some semblance of order wink

The modular is mainly a collection of ARP based circuits - the top two rows are basically a MkI and MkIII ARP Odyssey, row 3 & 4 is a 2600, and the last two are just peripheral bits and bobs.

The 2600 Clone (just got in there before Zthee's TTSH Project came to light) has expanded VCO's with sync, with an added LFO in the S&H section.

The Minimoog was just something I needed to get out of my system - But I had to cheat on the VCO's (Modified Roland M112's) - Still sounds like a Minimoog though, so I'm happy.
GrantB
applause Broadwave!!!!

incredible work
xpmtl
That's some serious DIY applause

Incredible work Andy!
jmcecil
we're not worthy broadwave
analog604
Incredible builds here guys!
NYD, thanks for sharing some photos! I have seen it before on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEdTji7vLGk) and in 2010 I found it to be very build inspiring. Think that there was a video or two comparing filters too.
Great stuff,
cheers
Jay

nyd wrote:
My all MFOS 6U build

roglok
OSICA wrote:
A lot of DIY smile

OSICA where did you get the orange SIFAM knobs?
unease
Looks a lot like these knobs:
http://www.rapidonline.com/mechanical-fastenings-fixings/sifam-11mm-so ft-touch-mixer-style-control-knobs-502503/

I'v been thinking about these knobs to match the look of Harvestman :-)
unease
--- double post ---
OSICA
unease wrote:
http://www.rapidonline.com/mechanical-fastenings-fixings/sifam-11mm-so ft-touch-mixer-style-control-knobs-502503/

I'v been thinking about these knobs to match the style of Havestman :-)

Exactly! thumbs up
Very Cheap and good quality...
Now I search the Sifam's knob like Hervetman MKII ...
roglok
OSICA wrote:
unease wrote:

I'v been thinking about these knobs to match the style of Havestman :-)

Exactly! thumbs up
Very Cheap and good quality...
Now I search the Sifam's knob like Hervetman MKII ...

thanks guys! that's weird - I've been looking for more colors all over to no avail. RS only have white and blue...
OSICA
roglok wrote:
I've been looking for more colors all over to no avail. RS only have white and blue...

Ohoh?
On RS i find easy all the colors: red,white,blue,green,yellow,orange and grey... hmmm.....

http://www.rapidonline.com/Mechanical-Fastenings-Fixings/Sifam-13mm-So ft-Touch-Mixer-Style-Control-Knob-White-Pointer-32-1732
http://www.rapidonline.com/Mechanical-Fastenings-Fixings/Sifam-13mm-So ft-Touch-Mixer-Style-Control-Knob-Grey-Pointer-32-1742

And if you search swejman knob you can find here:
http://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/cwejman/
roglok
yeah, RS do have a range, but I need the version with splined shaft and "11mm" diameter (19mm base)... the cwejman ones are D shaft too...
clochard
Oh Yens how i Love this One ooohhh
Girts23
I just returned from live performance in music festival Brinumu Nakts 2014 (Night of Miracles 2014):

roglok
Girts23 wrote:
I just returned from live performance in music festival Brinumu Nakts 2014 (Night of Miracles 2014):

yessssss! nanners
eolianmollisol
You know, this thread makes it hard to stay monogamous. These machines are just a different level of gorgeous!! Some nice inspiration here! applause
eolianmollisol

this is my jam Rockin' Banana!
plugugly
......is that a trashbin made from a tom-tom?
eolianmollisol
plugugly wrote:
......is that a trashbin made from a tom-tom?

that it is. The bass drum on the far right holds my boys legos w00t

EDIT:

should probably explain why I'm seemingly cruel to my gear, so I don't seem like a murderer...

I had to repurpose every piece of this 60s era apollo set because I couldn't find hardware to make it complete. So, I "made" a trash-bin, lego-bin, and the two mid toms are stacked with a post put through the leg hole to house the wiring for a lamp...put this next to my records. thumbs up
plugugly
I love it!
eolianmollisol
thanks! The Chewbacca Defense
falafelbiels
Wow neat!
ca3680
damn this page creates jealousy eek! applause
falafelbiels
It is what this whole forum is for
Acsii
StillNotWorking
I need to clear away everything before any family member can eat they're meal. Still I manage to make it a chaotic work place cry

As I take so long to tidy up I tend to schedule my SDIY to when I can do longer work sessions which add to already long build time and a long back log.

While others have they're mascot oversee they're builds I like to do some feminine decoration with flowers on my SDIY setup. help

cj3000
Temporarily was kicked out of my studio. So back to the sleeping room. hihi

plugugly
Stay strong!
falafelbiels
edit: wrong thread dammit!
mrkva

"creative mess"
Starspawn
Heres my mess, actual music gear to left, but irrelevant in this context.

Theres is also significant spillage to the rest of the flat, mainly livingroom, but also at times any floor space available.

My goal this month is to reclaim the bed for sleeping.
falafelbiels
w00t

Show us the kitchen!
Starspawn
Nah, thats clean and boring.
Its too many things being close to completion at the same time really, its not this bad all the time.
Theres rack and stand space for what Im going to keep when its been modded/fixed/built, it will be fine, but it is definetly at a messy stage lol
mome rath
broadwave

broadwave!!
love
dot matrix madness
Corner seats come in handy to sit all the cardboard boxes where I keep my stuff in. Build up / build down time is around half an hour. Luckily there is another kitchen table in the house.
Chaotic

Moved from the kitchen table to the basement
Wife before and after angry applause
LektroiD
Here's a current photo of my system... I'll post a workbench photo shortly...
medbot
Hey Lektroid, that's a great setup. Would you mind posting a few pictures of the Eurorack section at the bottom? I'd be interested in seeing a closeup of some of those modules without the usual Davies knobs.
lvoemachine
here's a new skiff of things I've built (I even built the stg trigger sequencers too smile
there's also a VOS sequencer that i did the panel for and a TW triple lpg as well that I laid out for synthcube. There's also some akai ax60 and volca beats in there to fill out the sound.

LeftyLogic
Here's my little DIY rig! What I've got so far is based around a full voice of Nicolas Woollaston's 9-volt synth modules, with the addition of a modified Baby-8 sequencer, a CGS Real Ring Mod, and a couple of fuzz pedal clones, all built into a homebrew Frac case!

roglok
LeftyLogic wrote:
Here's my little DIY rig! What I've got so far is based around a full voice of Nicolas Woollaston's 9-volt synth modules, with the addition of a modified Baby-8 sequencer, a CGS Real Ring Mod, and a couple of fuzz pedal clones, all built into a homebrew Frac case!

very nice, it's got a really unique look!
djpasica
LeftyLogic wrote:

yeh, really nice thumbs up
LeftyLogic
roglok wrote:

very nice, it's got a really unique look!

djpasica wrote:
yeh, really nice thumbs up

Thanks very much! This is fun! It was certainly a blast to put together!
antf4rm

This is my diy setup so far. Z-rails. TipTop bus passive boards. Home brewed power supply. System X Oscillator. And my 9volt Frankensynth.

LeftyLogic
antf4rm wrote:
[img]
This is my diy setup so far. Z-rails. TipTop bus passive boards. Home brewed power supply. System X Oscillator. And my 9volt Frankensynth

Nine volt frankensynths for the win! It's peanut butter jelly time! What all circuitry is in it? Nice Euro case too!
roman_f

everything except top right module (297) is my DIY
fluxmonkey
roman_f wrote:

does that mean a DIY 232 might be in my future? screaming goo yo
bkbirge
Man, this thread never fails to impress.
LeftyLogic
roman_f wrote:

Ho-lee Fudge.
Wow! we're not worthy we're not worthy
regularjackson
MARF!!
Acsii
While not a DIY setup as such this is my DIY workstation.
EarlJemmings
roman_f wrote:

roglok
roman_f wrote:

Acsii
roman_f wrote:

JohnLRice
Now that my work bench is finally cleaned off, I want to drop everything else and just DIY! hyper

mush
Beautiful, John!
Reality Checkpoint
Oh my goodness!

I can only dream about having such a work space, with everything close to hand like that. It must be great working there.

What are you making next?
Adam-V
JohnLRice wrote:
Now that my work bench is finally cleaned off, I want to drop everything else and just DIY! hyper

That is a very nice workspace. Bet it doesn't stay that clean for long!

Cheers,
Adam-V
WooDaWii
Here is my setup. Currently building 2 VCOs, 2 ADSRs, 3 LFOs, 2 Mixers and 4 VCAs from YuSynth. Filters are next on the list.

Adam-V
Nice setup but those images are waaay too big!

Cheers,
Adam-V
WooDaWii
Adam-V wrote:
Nice setup but those images are waaay too big!

Cheers,
Adam-V

Whoops! Fixed that
andrewF
jondent came over from Sydney last week and posted a photo tour of my shed w00t
Go to his blog to see it
falafelbiels
Looks like your workshop is steadily getting smaller
andrewF
falafelbiels wrote:

hihi for sure - it was huge a couple of years ago.........anyone want some junk?
aladan
andrewF wrote:
falafelbiels wrote:

hihi for sure - it was huge a couple of years ago.........anyone want some junk?

Yes!!! SlayerBadger!

I love junk... but... although I live in the nearest capital city to you it's still 2700km!! :-(

I'll PM...
indigoid
My workspace after packing up (sort of) for the night. Five modules underway, all from Nonlinear Circuits (AndrewF here on MW). Quite excited about the pair of Sloths. Just waiting on pots to arrive early next week.

Soldering and most parts storage is out of frame to the right on another bench.

Love that big old LeCroy scope! So nice to use, much better controls than the little Rigol scope to the right.

[/url]
jonny_w
My workspace (so far)...I've accumulated everything I need for the time being (except for parts storage). I really like that Rigol scope!

LektroiD
Latest addition; ESD floor and desk mats, as well as a grounding plate...
CrysWiz
my workbench. as clean as always! my assistant asleep on my lap while i build... you can see the top of my head (woo[/img]l hat)
Pfurmel
andrewF wrote:
jondent came over from Sydney last week and posted a photo tour of my shed

Really cool. That analogue computer looks amazing. An old family friend was one of the first to build one in Ireland way back when they pretty much took up a full room.
clive.grace
As we all know nice diy cases are hard to come by at a decent price. I chanced upon a small amount of 200 year old walnut rescued from a flooded wood store.

The stuff I got for my eurorack is warped stained boarding, it was marked and sold as salvage wood because it is pulled from a water damaged store and air dried over a winter to try and avoid kin-drying stains, after a cold dry winter it was left in a room for a few weeks to reacclimatise and then auto planed and then sanded back to even... the result is a very nice piece of cheap timber but the grain is not perfect as the water penetration lifts the grain ever so slightly... So it is not the very classy kind like the kind you find used in furniture, but it has history and is now a beautiful thing again.

The modules I have been building will all go into this. the Ericasynths PSU and a pair of mutable instruments volts means 15u of gear is well supplied and the rack rails are heavy duty type and screwed on every side wall hole, this will gig.

It is 140mm deep.

The back is 5mm ply with two convection vents and the rails will have five tiptop rack rails going in there.

PSU in Place by c-g., on Flickr

More Oiling by c-g., on Flickr

The Makenoise used to be a powered board but it blew up due to a Monome white whale and a monome 256grid overloaded it, makenoise did not reply to my email for the component parts they had scratched off (really guys, uncool) so I thought screw it, it removed all the reglation circuitry to make it a passive board and now ericasynths has the gig. I trust linear PSUs. Fortunately I have a very very thin usb 7" screen module ii made that fits behind that.

No wall warts needed, 5A fused, will draw down to 3A once I have gotted up the mA draw of the completed synth... power socket in the back, Earth is to rails. Play safe.

ventilation fitted by c-g., on Flickr

It's still a work in progress but this is what I mean about the screen, very useful thing to have if you need to keep an eye on the computer or have a module with video out.

eurorack mounted display by c-g., on Flickr

Or get bored because you over sequenced the set list and you fancy wathcing ponies midway through a gig (which oddly enough, I do)...
CrysWiz
that's really nice.
CrysWiz
as you can see in my post of my immaculate construction area there is a can of 3 in 1 oil precariously balanced on the edge of my bench...a few nights ago i was soldering away peacefully when i started to smell something. i thought "gee, it smells like WD40." so i went downstairs to see if my lovely housemate was using any WD40 in her workroom (jewelry). no. went back to work. at the end of my night i noticed that the can of oil had been knocked off the table and was upside down, pouring out oil into a open frame powersupply just next to and underneath my bench on a small table. the powersupply was on and hot at the time! i'm fortunate that nothing sizzled, smoked*, or exploded! d'oh!

*- except me 8_)
Lachlan C.
My neck of the woods...

Lachlan C.
Musicology of Dreams wrote:

Congratulations Mr. Green
Excellent organization and order woow beauty place to work
i am impressed Dead Banana +all this contact cleaners !
Thanks. Best regards

Thanks Musicology! The bench has had many iterations but the version here is compact and has pretty much everything I need (including a range of contact cleaners hyper )
xnor
Pretty stoked on the modules I've just finished up. Laser cut wood face plates, brackets from Craig Lee, so far, all CGS pcbs.

ginorobair
Great lookin'!

xnor wrote:
Pretty stoked on the modules I've just finished up. Laser cut wood face plates, brackets from Craig Lee, so far, all CGS pcbs.

RobotDad
Like the Metrix sticker clive.grace. Very nice case.
eolianmollisol
Havent posted my set up in a while. Mess as always!
Musicology of Dreams
Lachlan C. wrote:
Musicology of Dreams wrote:

Congratulations Mr. Green
Excellent organization and order woow beauty place to work
i am impressed Dead Banana +all this contact cleaners !
Thanks. Best regards

Thanks Musicology! The bench has had many iterations but the version here is compact and has pretty much everything I need (including a range of contact cleaners hyper )

& large panel of rangement boxes
for electronic diamonds This is fun!
I learn something from your photo.
Thanks & Greetings
Statispulp

My old setup in my bedroom from a year ago. The feline lab assistant in the pictures passed away two months ago sad banana
Deathlehem

This is the latest pic of my modulars.

The left hand one is the current state of The Deathlehem Machine:

Top row of cabinet #1 of 2:
Quad Serge Universal Slope Generator; dual Serge Voltage Processor; dual Serge Triple Comparator

2nd row:
Dual MFOS VCO; Yusynth Moog VCF; dual Serge Negative Slew and dual Serge Positive Slew

3rd row:
Triple CGS VCO (2 installed); dual Craig Lee Low Pass Gate (one installed); dual Serge Smooth Stepped Generator

4th row:
Triple Serge 1973 VCF (one installed); six CGS / René Schmidt VCAs (4 installed); 6 attenuated banana to 1/4" jacks (4 installed)

5th row:
Dual MFOS 2 pole State Variable Filter

On top of cabinet #1: RCA 1942 Mascot radio case, with 2 x Thomas Henry 1V/oct Triangle VCOs and 2 x THenry VCLFOs as well as a Roland MPU101 4 channel MIDI to CV converter.

Top row of cabinet #2 of 2:
Dual MFOS 16 step Trigger Sequencers with triple busses of ON/OFF trigger switches per step (one installed)

2nd row:
CGS / Serge 8 Step Programmer / Sequencer with Moog 960 Sequencer Play / Stop / Skip switches for EACH step, in BOTH directions

3rd row:
MFOS Noise Cornucopia; hexInverter Jupiter Storm; my / hexInverter Liquid HiHat V1.4; hexInverter Voltage Controlled Noiz; dual Serge Universal Slope Generator (neither yet transferred from quad panel)

4th row:
CGS / Serge - triple Bi-directional Switch
dual MFOS 4 channel pannable stereo mixers

The right hand cabinet is my New Europeans euro modular.

Top row:
hexInverter Galilean Moons dual AD EG / dual VCA; Delptronics Trigger Man; Thonk Turing Machine; 2nd CGS / Serge Bi-directional Switch (both outputs for each are live at once. I can't figure out what the problem is. :( )

2nd row:
Manhattan Analog CP3 Moog audio mixer (installed today)
Fonitronix 4 input DC mixer (built and installed today)

On top of the New Europeans cabinet:
MFOS Echo Rockit (Not working. I have to debug / find out why.)

In front of all of the cabinets:

Novation Mininova
Korg Volca Sample
Arturia Beatstep

If anyone has any clues as to why both outputs on the CGS / Serge Bi-directional switch, are outputting whatever is coming into the input, with no change happening, no matter what the position the switch is in - any help would be appreciated. This is occurring on all 3 of the bi-directional switches. I'm stumped and not at all familiar with the CD4007 that is used for the switching.
Neither of the transistors is backwards. Running on +/-12 V (no Ground).
Stumped. sad banana

Ty for any possible help.
roglok
great setup, ryk! nice to see you are back, too.

sorry i can't help with the cgs/serge switch. i assume you have seen that these can be built in two different ways ?
1024ck

Spent many, many an hour working here.
PK808370
I am blown away by all of the DIY shown in this thread so far! Great inspiration for my start in both modular and DIY simultaneously.

I see some setups with oscilloscopes and some without. I used to have a Tektronix model 475A that I refurbished from a telescope observatory, but that perished a few years ago.

I'm starting to make some modules, both from scratch and with kits from EricaSynths and others. I do have a small, handheld DSO that I will bring out of storage shortly; will that do, or should I be investing in a larger oscilloscope at this point?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for the question, but I got excited by all the awesome workspaces and their products smile

Thank you,
-PK
zodiak
Ohh I miss having a workshop. We have too many kids for me to have a space to my self now so I work on the table, which means constantly packing up and unpacking very frustrating
Still my wife is away next week with her sister so the table is mine and the kids will be eating in front of the TV, like normal people w00t
LektroiD
Here's my workbench, kept tidy as it is part of my bedroom...

Bedroom workshop:

MFOS vocoder on the bench
strat-1
It looks like a 60's soviet satellite from the back.
[/list]
ModularCult
This is my little work space in the garage. This photo was taken awhile ago, but not much has changed since then.

That's a Roland JX-3P having a Organix Inque MIDI expansion kit installed. Note the 'spray booth' in the bottom right hand corner. lol

Eloc
... maybe move the bench grinder... there's nothing like tiny little metal shavings flying around to bugger up electronics equipment.
zodiak
Eloc I just new you were British without checking
Mr. Green
ModularCult
Eloc wrote:
... maybe move the bench grinder... there's nothing like tiny little metal shavings flying around to bugger up electronics equipment.

Yeah the grinder was the first thing mounted to the workbench when I got it. Everything else evolved around it. Luckily I don't need to use it much.
Eloc
ModularCult wrote:
Eloc wrote:

Yeah the grinder was the first thing mounted to the workbench when I got it. Everything else evolved around it. Luckily I don't need to use it much.

A little off topic, but no joke... I just clicked on the youtube channel in you sig and saw your Yusynth based modular you've built. I watched a bunch of videos a few years ago by a guy that had built a Yusynth modular, they were pretty much the deciding factor that made me dive in to building my own modular, it was inspiring stuff, great sounds, dark, rhythmic, come to think of it the name of his channel was Modular Cu... wait a minute...

Genuinely, thanks for the inspiration.
ModularCult
Eloc wrote:

Genuinely, thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks mate!

thumbs up
ModularCult
Before this thread turns into a zombie, here is my Modular as it currently stands. zombie

Grumskiz
Looks great! It was the same for me: Your modular videos convinced me that I want to build my own smile
Sandrine
This was the most amazing thread I've ever read!
Thankyou for that, now I'm all inspired too!
rosincorpse
This is built and working now.
The picture was taken while the circuit was under construction a few months ago.
I am a new member and I'm testing out the photo-attaching method on this forum.

My blog:
http://www.glamafez.blogspot.com/
roglok
rosincorpse wrote:
This is built and working now.
The picture was taken while the circuit was under construction a few months ago.
I am a new member and I'm testing out the photo-attaching method on this forum.

My blog:
http://www.glamafez.blogspot.com/

welcome to muff's! very nice construction. what is it? a keyboard controller?
rosincorpse
It's actually an one-octave polyphonic organ. The sound is similar to a Farfisa. I haven't tried to interface it with any other gear. The keyboard is built from wire, resistors, and painted mat board. My cat knocked it off its pedestal the other day and I haven't tried it since. Some of the connections are likely to have broken. The whole thing's a little too fragile for that kind of treatment.
Moog$FooL$
groovy!! applause

good luck with the design/project.... i love to see stuff like this!! nanners Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger!

please keep us posted. hyper
XPump
apic of my assembly area with pcbs populated in 2015

that + -15v panel meter (seen upper right )
i mounted in some clear plastic throw away packaging is pretty useful
for monitoring voltage

zodiak
That's a nice setup. w00t How do you connect the mini keyboard to modules? Via a computer?
batchas
zodiak wrote:
How do you connect the mini keyboard to modules? Via a computer?

Looks like a QuNexus: should be able to connect directly via cv/gate ins/outs, without computer thumbs up
zodiak
I didnt know that such a thing existed, that's cool. Mind you they are not cheap are they, but then compared to the cost of modules what is?
XPump
A QuNexus it is - it has direct cv & gate and pressure cv outs too - it's pretty cool and very compact
zodiak
Is that pressure per key, a bit like a CS80?
Swann
My first builds freshly racked up!

groove
Just getting started - here's my work area.

iopop
Moved house a year ago and around the same time became a father for the first time. Not the best combination. SDIY have been on hiatus. This is however the new workspace area.

Probably as clean as it ever will be.
Tombola
Totally off topic, but anyway... I just finished this - a Princeton Reverb tube amp from a kit.

Such a different kind of build from what I'm used to (tiny euro PCBs). No PCB at all, just point-to-point wiring on an eyelet board. No instructions, just a schematic and a wiring diagram. Endless wiring, everything has to be neat to fight hum, mains power (that becomes 400+v after the transformer), bending 18awg solid core wire into complicated twisted patterns.

I was really nervous when I finally turned it on, but there was no smoke or fire or fused lights, so I plugged in the tubes and it worked first time. It's the best amp I've ever owned (by a very long way) and I'm very pleased.

grilojoe
iopop wrote:
Moved house a year ago and around the same time became a father for the first time. Not the best combination. SDIY have been on hiatus. This is however the new workspace area.

I get jealous of spaces like this. No matter how I try, the only time my table looks like this is when everything is in a box, on a shelf or in a closet. The rest of the time, it's a disaster. There's no in between.
Musicology of Dreams
groove wrote:
Just getting started - here's my work area.

For " just getting started "
that is great bench space and equipements,
oscilloscope with his own platform woow cool !
Congratulations
Good luck

Wiard
BuxtonTheEvilBlueCat
grilojoe wrote:
iopop wrote:

I get jealous of spaces like this. No matter how I try, the only time my table looks like this is when everything is in a box, on a shelf or in a closet. The rest of the time, it's a disaster. There's no in between.

I was thinking the same!

Nice framed & signed Cannibal Holocaust pic smile
snaper
iopop wrote:

Is that a 258 on the shelf?
iopop
and If I took a new picture today, it would not be as clean. Dead Banana

snaper: A DIY 258, panel from RSFC with boards from J3RK.
Crashlander42
I just realized I've never posted my setup. Excuse the cardboard in the window. My cat decided to take down the curtains.

2015 was the year my modular became taller than me.

And the opposite wall...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 27