MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

FS: 4013 PCB beta pre-release in stock
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author FS: 4013 PCB beta pre-release in stock

EATyourGUITAR

I have already selected the two free beta testers for this project. there will be panels two months from now or possibly sooner. I have pretty good luck making working PCB designs the first time. I am %85 confident this PCB will be %100 working no errors. if anyone wants to get it now before the panels are ready you can buy it for $5 free shipping world wide. if we find out later that the PCB design is flawed then you will be refunded or have your PCB replaced free with the new version. this PCB is intended for eurorack but works on +/-12v, +/-15v +/-9v as is. 3U 4U 5U whatever.

schematic preview, official schematic coming soon.
http://www.eatyourguitar.com/4013breakout.pdf

SewerBadger

Besides 'unpopulated', what is it?

EATyourGUITAR

http://www.ti.com/product/CD4013B

I wrote this in an email to a friend
well I will try to give some examples. it is a bit like a swiss army knife. as much as maths can be used 26 different ways. it is definitely one of those endless modules. but anyway I will try to explain. it is a data storage module. much like a sample & hold module is storing a voltage sampled from the input. the input gets sampled when a rising edge is applied to the clock input. how this differs from the traditional sample & hold is simple. we force all input voltages above or below 1v into a binary logic state HIGH or LOW that is stored in the 1 bit register digitally. that data will be present on the output indefinitely until it has changed states. the output Q has with it an included, non-modular, binary logic inverting output. this would be pretty boring except we have 3 ways to load data. only 1 of those ways requires both clock and data pins to be operated simultaneously. the other 2 inputs are each dedicated 1 wire non-synchronous control+data inputs. a rising edge sent to SET forces Q to be HIGH without waiting for a clock input. the output Q stays high until a rising edge is applied to either the clock or reset pins. any consecutive gates or triggers sent to SET after it has already been SET are redundant they have no change at Q. RESET is similar to SET however the Q is forced LOW when a rising edge is applied to RESET. it will stay that way till a rising edge is applied to CLOCK or SET. obviously, when SET or RESET are used, the output will only change if SET or RESET represent a logic state that is different from the logic state currently held at Q.

this is just the basic operation of the 4 input pins. this does not even begin to discuss applications for modular synth patches. as you can see, there are many rules the 4013 must follow to make mathematical logical operations. in addition to the 4013 logical operations, there are 4 analog voltage comparators that perform hybrid analog+binary front end to binary only interface. these also have rules. for example if input > 1v then this pin = HIGH. so many rules!

APPLICATIONS
before I discuss possible audio processing applications, I will present applications that process, generate, delay, quantize (timing), or divide triggers and/or gates sent in different combinations to the 4 input pins. the most basic function of a 4013 is realized when the quarter note clock (master tempo) is patched to the clock input. the S + R lines are not patched or intentionally patched with logic LOW. in this mode all gates will only change state with the clock. this output Q can then be used to control other events in the modular that require musical timing. however the module will perform the same task under the same rules when in is clocked by anything that is not musical or consistent in timing. the most powerful feature of the 4013 is combing synchronous and non synchronous control signals. this allows the user to make improvisational timing superimposed with the clock or alternatively, change freely between synchronous (clocked) and non-synchronous (not clocked) at will. sending an arcade button to SET and a button to RESET creates a binary user interface on two buttons that can be operated without visual feedback of Q logic state. this can be useful for controlling mutes, sequential switches, sequencers (run, stop), or binary mode selector CV inputs on other modules that lack buttons. 4013 can be used as a clock divider but it can also be used as a sub oscillator. the same patch can be used for both. if an arcade button is patched to the clock divider patch, the 4013 converts the momentary action of the button to the latching two state action of a toggle switch. when audio signals are patched to 3 or 4 inputs, shit gets crazy. the sampling affect creates aliasing. the forced bits create glitches. the 4013 has a priority when both SET and RESET go HIGH at the same time. whatever the preference, it will be the exact same preference all the time on all units.

so to sum up everything. the 4013 works great with arcade buttons, works great with making random timing less random. works great for making glitchy pulses from pretty regular oscillators. it can be a suboscillator, it can be a clocked comparator. it can remember things (1 bit storage) until it is powered off. this can offer new self generating patches that were not possible before the modular gained the ability to store information from anywhere and apply it to anything. without memory, a modular can only process signals while signals are present. the 4013 allows the modular synthesizer to autonomously create new timed events based on rules that have been pre-programmed by the user. the machine not only thinks, it remembers.

masterofstuff124

mememeemem Rockin' Banana!

strange tales

I want but the backlog is too big. cry

Will definitely be interested in a production run pcb though.

EATyourGUITAR

masterofstuff124 wrote:
mememeemem Rockin' Banana!

one of my free beta testers. I have your address on file. you can expect it. I will try to get a BOM for you.

the bad producer

Oh wow, this looks most interesting, I'd like to buy one if possible at some point!

Ayab

Looking forward to receiving the pcb I ordered - and a BOM too please. Sounds like a very interesting idea.

Can you describe how slew in combination with an arcade button would fit into the descriptions above.

Thanks

oberkorn

interested (and interesting module!), but can wait till you have panels and such
need to get some other PCBs from you as well so will do a combo order when ready

EATyourGUITAR

Ayab wrote:
Looking forward to receiving the pcb I ordered - and a BOM too please. Sounds like a very interesting idea.

Can you describe how slew in combination with an arcade button would fit into the descriptions above.

Thanks

That depends if you slew the button gate or do you slew the output of the 4013. If you slew the 4013 output you can delay the result of the computation. This is like a gate delay. this behaviour also has the potential to denounce a noisy switch. It differed from a digital delay in that this will only pass a gate if the gate is held high long enough to pass the slew. The threshold to trigger some target module will depend on the target module. Typically 1v or 2.5v for most euro modules. You would probably want two of these dual modules and two dual slews to make a programmable brain. This is getting into some neural networks stuff. The slew is the LPF. You can use DC mixers to complete your neural network with weighted decisions. The slew performs integration so the synthesizer can make weighted calculations with respect to time as well as the instantaneous measure of voltage. In calculus this is the integral and the derivative. I could go on about neural nets but that's hear nor there. Modulars were always capable of doing analog computers but they lack RAM. non-synchronous + synchronous operations on the same RAM bit available simultaneously bit by bit gives the user a tremendously open foundation to create simulations of many other real and digital systems.

EATyourGUITAR

I found an error, technically you would integrate current not voltage but in a modular synthesizer we simulate current with voltage. They are directly coupled. The instantaneous voltage is the derivative simulating current. While the instantaneous voltage at the output of the slew is the integral simulating the total charge in the capacitor joules.

EATyourGUITAR

Ayab wrote:
BOM too please

http://www.eatyourguitar.com/DDDSBOMV1.pdf

http://www.eatyourguitar.com/DDDSSCHEM.pdf

the bad producer

Got the PCB EATyourGUITAR - many thanks!

I was thinking of what you wrote above, about adding buttons, I would like to do that, can I diode OR with the other inputs do you think?

On my panel I will have two extra spaces beneath the row of sockets, so space for two buttons per circuit, I'm thinking SET and RESET.

EATyourGUITAR

You don't need diodes. Wire the LM4040 +5v pin to one side of each button with flying wires. You can Daisy chain if that makes it easier to only add 1 wire to the LM4040. Then the other side of the button connects to the input jack tip that you want pulled high from. The button. If you only have two buttons you can wire them for reset all and preset all. This would make it more playable. You can shoot off extra hihats extra claps or force mute all.

EATyourGUITAR

I had a lot of PM's for the free quad logic PCB till they were all gone so I thought it would be nice to open this up for more beta testers again.

Anyone who can solder SMD and can get to this project right away, I will provide you with a free PCB. You only need to post your working or non-working builds so we can detect problems with the PCB.

You do not need a panel to test the module. PM me your shipping address. If you already have a free beta I would suggest you let someone else get this.

ehafh

ahoy,
i'll buy one :]

please pm me whenever and i'll send ya the $5 nanners

LektroiD

Count me in too... My $5 is waiting patiently...

EATyourGUITAR

EATyourGUITAR wrote:
You don't need diodes. Wire the LM4040 +5v pin to one side of each button with flying wires. You can Daisy chain if that makes it easier to only add 1 wire to the LM4040. Then the other side of the button connects to the input jack tip that you want pulled high from. The button. If you only have two buttons you can wire them for reset all and preset all. This would make it more playable. You can shoot off extra hihats extra claps or force mute all.

I think maybe you do need a diode for each button between the button and the PCB jack tip pad. Then wire the input jack tip PCB pad directly to the Nana input jack. Then you can also add a 10M resistor from Ground 0v to the input jack tip to create a high impedance pseudo normal connection to 0v when nothing is patched so that it can maintain the same behaviour as it does in eurorack.

EATyourGUITAR

Edit double post

the bad producer

I thought maybe something like that, thanks!Just waiting for the Mouser order to arrive and I can get building! thumbs up

EATyourGUITAR

This PCB is working %100. You can reserve a PCB and panel set for $20 to get first pick of the first batch of DIY sales. Shipping is free world wide. PCB only is $5. This is THE ONLY FULLY FUNCTIONAL CD4013 available in eurorack don't sleep.

masterofstuff124

hmmm so this needs a lm4040 5v?

i only have 2.5v and 10v.... sad banana

EATyourGUITAR

masterofstuff124 wrote:
hmmm so this needs a lm4040 5v?

i only have 2.5v and 10v.... sad banana

all my PCB that have LM4040 are now compatible with both 5v and 2.5v LM4040. for the 4013 with 5v LM4040 you can build normal from the BOM or schematic. for people (and robots?) using 2.5v LM4040 you can install the 2.5v LM4040 with 0R (jumper) R4 and NO R5. again, you can solder bridge R4 or put a wire clipping to bridge R4. do not install R5 with a 2.5v LM4040!

http://www.eatyourguitar.com/DDDSSCHEM.pdf

whyfarer

I wanted to followup on my beta build and post a pic of my build (with a 2.5V lm4040):

DIY panel is made from a cone that my dog had to wear post-surgery... Not the stiffest material but it seems to be doing ok.

And here's a link to an audio clip from my nascent soundcloud showing the DDDS (aka 4013 breakout board) performing sub-osc duties:
[s]http://soundcloud.com/why-farer/05-ddds-double-sub-osc-faded[/s]
More notes on the patch in soundcloud, but the DDDS is acting as a sub-osc and sub-sub-osc on a PWMed square wave from befaco even vco that's doing the main melodic singing.

I've only just started playing with the possibilities of what this module can do but I'm really looking forward to figuring some more of it out and pushing it into far wilder territories.

Thanks ETIT and Omni Industries applause

EATyourGUITAR

I ordered panels today. PCB + panel will be in stock soon. anyone that wants to get them at the lower price can pay now $20 = pcb + pcb panel. these are the same matte black PCB panels I always use. they look great. free shipping world wide.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1