MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

interest check low cost 4HP mixer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author interest check low cost 4HP mixer

EATyourGUITAR

interest check. post if you will buy when it is ready.
$30 - 3 channel 4HP mixer panel + PCB set

trying to estimate how many of these to order. I will be ordering metal panels from metalphoto. if everything goes to plan I can sell metal panel and PCB set for $30 + shipping. panel design is not finished yet. don't worry about the SMD TL072, it is the big one. seriously, you can do SMD. or I can solder it for you for $5 (TL072 ONLY). post in the thread, I will make a list. keyed header will not work unless you sand it down so just ignore it.

cereyanlimusiki

thumbs up

EATyourGUITAR

bump for panel added to first post

Bump!

basicbasic

My 2c would be that it's a bit too similar feature,size and price wise to the excellent MA Mix (which also attenuverts the mix), and not as feature packed as Fonitronik's Cascade (which admittedly only seems to come as a full kit).

If you could somehow get it down to 2HP (stacked boards, all 0806 SMD?) then I reckon that might be something unique in DIY?.

EATyourGUITAR

I can design anything you want. I started with TSSOP8 and 0805 then i worked my way back up to something you can solder with arthritis, Parkinson's, poor eye sight, alchohal withdrawal, post workout shakes etc.. reading the threads on muffs I noticed there is still some resistance to SMD. I personally don't want to own a tripplet of 2HP mults mixers whatever and have them adjacent. Not after I sold my 5U. Aesthetics of the interface designed to human scale is important to me, so is lowering the cost of everything. You want 2HP then I will throw it together tonight. Everybody votes 2HP 3HP 4HP. I did not find a module exaactly like it in 4HP

basicbasic

Fair enough - i'm not a huge fan of 2HP either but it seems there is an appetite for teeny modules with people who have small setups or skiffs. I only mentioned it cause the MA Mix is so ubiquitous and pretty similar to what you proposed.

EATyourGUITAR

basicbasic wrote:
Fair enough - i'm not a huge fan of 2HP either but it seems there is an appetite for teeny modules with people who have small setups or skiffs. I only mentioned it cause the MA Mix is so ubiquitous and pretty similar to what you proposed.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/manhattananalog/mix/

I think there is enough difference in panel density, features, price that allows them to fill different market segments. my mixer has no bleed or supply noise problems. the opamps are basic TL072. I could have used LT1013 to exceed the specs of the MA mix but I decided to aim low with shit mix. anything in your rack now that is not a CP3 moog transistor mixer, is most likely a TL072, TL084 (RYO, doepfer, et all). I omitted capacitance cable driver style output to save a resistor and a cap. I omitted electrolytic caps. I am slashing prices without really sacrificing quality by any significant margin. all this and a metal panel for $30!

basicbasic

SlayerBadger!

Nothing but love for the TL07x from me smile

av500

2.718 hp for me please

euromorcego

EATyourGUITAR wrote:

I think there is enough difference in panel density, features, price that allows them to fill different market segments. my mixer has no bleed or supply noise problems. the opamps are basic TL072. I could have used LT1013 to exceed the specs of the MA mix but I decided to aim low with shit mix. anything in your rack now that is not a CP3 moog transistor mixer, is most likely a TL072, TL084 (RYO, doepfer, et all). I omitted capacitance cable driver style output to save a resistor and a cap. I omitted electrolytic caps. I am slashing prices without really sacrificing quality by any significant margin. all this and a metal panel for $30!

I also would not worry about similarity. It's a mixer after all, there is necessarily some redundancy if different mixers are available, more options (and be it just panel design) is always a good thing.

Still, you may note that the Manhattan Mix is pretty good and currently available for $39 (pcb/panel): http://synthcube.com/cart/manhattan-analog-mixer-pcb-panel-set-euro-di y-4hp
Panel looks good and the OpAmp is a LME49720, the mixer can either be polorizing or a straight mixer, and it has a overall gain knob. All useful features.

Also not sure is saving a capacitor and a resistor is really important, there add $0.20 to total cost or so. In this context, I find the schematic interesting: why do you do it this way? It looks quite unlike most other simple mixer who just use a dual opamp without buffering each input.

Escapegoat

Is the 'shit mix' name on the panel graphic just there for now and for giggles? Or actually real?

EATyourGUITAR

euromorcego wrote:
Still, you may note that the Manhattan Mix is pretty good and currently available for $39 (pcb/panel): http://synthcube.com/cart/manhattan-analog-mixer-pcb-panel-set-euro-di y-4hp
Panel looks good and the OpAmp is a LME49720, the mixer can either be polorizing or a straight mixer, and it has a overall gain knob. All useful features.

I thought that if I called it shit mix I would bypass all the comments of my own futility, poor design, and inevitable financial destruction but it didn't work. still trying to figure this forum out. I don't want to do exactly what he did and sell it for less. bad for him and bad for me. the same rule applies when I was a DJ, play what YOU like and your career will have longevity, otherwise you will always play a guessing game that is a copy of someone's taste at a moment in time with no real internal direction or source of instinct for your art.

euromorcego wrote:
Also not sure is saving a capacitor and a resistor is really important, there add $0.20 to total cost or so. In this context, I find the schematic interesting: why do you do it this way? It looks quite unlike most other simple mixer who just use a dual opamp without buffering each input.

I am starting to change direction on the capacitance cable driver. I will add the resistor and cap back to the design. I used two opamps because they are $0.20, I had space on the PCB, and it eliminates crosstalk by having a balanced zero point at the inverting input of the opamp. you will also notice that all the modules I make have protected inputs, 100K input impedance or higher, outputs buffered by TL072 with 1K output protection standard. I could also do this schematic many different ways. I thought about non-inverting but then I would need the same amount of resistors to set the input impedance to 100K + 100K and protect the non-inverting input. a design with %100 inverting opamps will always have superior common mode rejection (power noise coupled to input signals). beat that. there is no reason why you could not use a better opamp with a compatible pinout when you build it.

Escapegoat wrote:
Is the 'shit mix' name on the panel graphic just there for now and for giggles? Or actually real?

I can take it off. whatever works. everybody votes. I will keep 4 modules for myself and I am planning to sell the other 96 units as panel + PCB on muffs and on my site. I know there are some larger institutions like working studios or educational facilities that simply would not buy it so there is some change needed for this module to fully align with my sales, and educational goals. right now it aligns with me doing whatever I want and not caring what people say. all the qualities of a leader or a horrible person.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1