MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
WARNING! Gear101 (now known as Gearaudio101) is back yet again, behind a proxy yet again, and is sending PMs and emails to users offering their WTB items. THIS GUY IS A CROOK, A WELL KNOWN SCAMMER. DO NOT DEAL WITH HIM!

Roll Your Own Airtenuator I - Floating passive attenuator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Roll Your Own Airtenuator I - Floating passive attenuator

MindSnared

Hello friends!

We've been tinkering with a way to bring the passive attenuator out of the rack, similar to how Stackcables and IV Cables brings multiples out, and I'm happy to say we've found a solution we think is simple, DIY-able and works incredibly well!

Introducing the first RYO Satellite module - The Airtenuator I!

It works perfectly for Eurorack, but will work as well for FracRack, TTSH, PAIA, Wiard (non-bantam), Minibrute, Microbrute and other semi-modulars using 3.5mm jacks.

Its made up of no more than a pair of PCBs, two jacks and a potentiometer (50k linear) joined with some standoffs, simple, fast and very beginner-friendly to assemble, but being an attenuator it will never lose its usefulness and relevance in patching no matter how skilled at your modular craft you become. We opted to have a second copperless board as base protecting the pads to avoid any chances of shorting with your fingers, also as a bonus it becomes very rigid and sturdy, while still retaining a good usable weight.

The signal flow is marked out with arrows (triangles) on the boards, however it will work patched backwards as well, but you will get different responses depending on the the guts behind the inputs and outputs of modules and would typically give a non-linear response on the lower part or the whole range (which can be quite fun for some applications).

The Airtenuator will be sold in 3-packs on a v-scored board (the user breaks the boards up into the individual units), both as kits and as only PCB. We are strongly considering making a few assembled as well if there is interest.

Final recommended price is 180SEK for the kit with 3 airtenuators (ca 25USD) and 65SEK for a bare PCB with 3 airtenuators (ca 9USD).

Full Size

Prototype pictures:

Full Size

Full Size

Full Size

frequencycentral

Love it! Very creative!

phono1337

w00t

MindSnared

Thanks Rick! Your builds were the first modules I made that got me hooked on the DIY stuff, extremely fond of the 100m VCF and ADSR in particular SlayerBadger!

roglok

very nice. i like how you doubled up the PCB to shield the circuit. i've built a few similar attenuators, but mine are completely encased.

stabilt

Thanks for the responses!

We thought we would make it cheaper by skipping the enclosure. If it gets popular we might look into enclosures. The cost of a mold to make a plastic enclosure is a little steep for us atm too. 3D printing might be a possibility.

roglok

stabilt wrote:

We thought we would make it cheaper by skipping the enclosure. If it gets popular we might look into enclosures. The cost of a mold to make a plastic enclosure is a little steep for us atm too. 3D printing might be a possibility.

yeah, the case is an issue. ready-made enclosures in such a small size are hard to find...

ben_hex

These look great! Well done guys, simple, creative and very effective smile

Neutron7

That is very nice! did it come from the "free ideas" thread?

I made a couple with sliders but they were whole cables with the slider in the middle.

MindSnared

Thanks for the comments and encouragement guys, we appreciate it a lot! smile

Neutron7: No, we weren't actually aware of the existence of such a thread. We first got the inspiration from a swedish music forum a few years back where they used headphone cables with volume fader/thumbwheel on them to adjust volumes between modules. We then thought how we could make such a thing without a special mold and easy to build/use. We really liked the idea of having a more standard type of potentiometer, this resulted in very nice precision and controllability of the unit so we decided to go through with this design and announce it now as it is going into production!

Also, the announcement of the very nice KOMA attenuator cable re-ignited the plans on this unit, but we feel our design caters more to the DIY crowd.

flx

Nice! When and where will they be available?

stabilt

flx wrote:
Nice! When and where will they be available?

We are working hard on getting them out as soon as possible. We are aiming to deliver to resellers within september. Both Escape From Noise and Thonk have shown interest to stock them in DIY format.

Deliveries sometimes get hickups, PCB manufacturing sometimes gets delayed etc. so we don't dare to set a tighter deadline.

stabilt

Test kitting will take place as soon as we get a parcel to Escape From Noise shipped. Then we will have a price estimate.

e.vil

awesome sauce!
i'll have ten kits please
SlayerBadger!

Igor Berlin

roglok wrote:
stabilt wrote:

yeah, the case is an issue. ready-made enclosures in such a small size are hard to find...

so how did you make yours?

Igor Berlin

Neutron7 wrote:

I made a couple with sliders but they were whole cables with the slider in the middle.

care to share what kind of sliders you used?

MindSnared

The idea with the Airtenuator was a quick and easy open design that would be beginner-friendly to build, a case wasn't really a thought in the moment of making.

We would however gladly accept any ideas or tips on types of cases one could use for a possible future cased version (if possible instead of a custom design)!

Igor Berlin

I think the way you executed this idea is great. I wanted to make some of these for a while, but could never figure out how to make a case/ or where to get one (hence my questions above). Didn't even occur to me to do it without a case at all, but yours will do just fine. So what price point are you thinking about for complete kits?

daverj

Perhaps you could have a 3D printed case made in metal and then use that to create a silicone mold which you could use to pour liquid acrylic into to make the actual cases. Since it looks symetrical from the sides you should be able to just have a single part made that works for both sides and snaps together.

stabilt

We are trying to get it between 30-40 USD recommended retail price for a 3-pack kit, we are working on getting a better estimation as soon as possible.

stabilt

daverj wrote:
Perhaps you could have a 3D printed case made in metal and then use that to create a silicone mold which you could use to pour liquid acrylic into to make the actual cases. Since it looks symetrical from the sides you should be able to just have a single part made that works for both sides and snaps together.

That is an excellent idea!

Neutron7

Igor Berlin wrote:
Neutron7 wrote:

care to share what kind of sliders you used?

They are alpha 30mm B100k ones i got from mouser

roglok

Igor Berlin wrote:
roglok wrote:
stabilt wrote:

This is a dual version. I have some smaller cases lying around for single versions but didn't get around to building those yet.

snaper

Nice nice nice nice idea!

Igor Berlin

roglok wrote:
Igor Berlin wrote:
roglok wrote:
stabilt wrote:

This is a dual version. I have some smaller cases lying around for single versions but didn't get around to building those yet.

very nice! couldn't find any enclosures smaller than this

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3