MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sauce of Unce (Buchla SOU265)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Sauce of Unce (Buchla SOU265)

andrewF

UPDATE 17/7/2014 - PCBS & PANEL are in stock
build notes & BOM - HERE

These PCBs are designed to functionally approximate the Buchla SOU 265, Eurorack compatible, pots, sockets and LEDs all mount on the PCB. This is not a clone, the noise and VCO sections are completely different but do the same job as the original. There are also changes in both the random voltage and stored random voltage sections, mainly to work around difficult-to-source components.

I built and tested a proto-type today and it worked well, so will order a larger run of PCBs and get some panels made. Please post in this thread if you are interested in some, just want to get an idea of numbers. Should be ready to ship in early July.
PCBs will be AU$20, panels AU$25, shipping AU$5 anywhere.

The build is not easy for beginners as the four TL074s are all SOIC.
There are no unobtanium components, almost everything can be bought from Tayda, except the two vactrols, sockets and 1206 passives.
The PCB is designed for kobiconn sockets.

The vid is just 1st run with this, simply using the outputs to control a VCO

bkbirge

I'd be interested in a pair of euro panels/pcbs, will be fun to compare to Roman's 266.

mxmxmx

i'd be in for a pcb, no panel.

mush

I'm in for a PCB, no panel.

constantin3000

I'm in for a pcb aswell

negativspace

I'd be interested in a set of boards, been doing SMT TL074s quite a bit lately...

Pfurmel

2 boards, no panel(cup!)

ClausF

1 PCP & Panel please

bezier

I actually googled for a SUO diy option just this morning and was a bit annoyed that i had missed Romans PCB. And now this zombie

Definitely in for one PCB.

fluxmonkey

"in for 2" (pcbs), as they say...

Barcode

Put me down for a couple. thumbs up

amdagan

I'm up for 1 or 2.

BTW, does anything bad happen if I substitute 0805's for the 1206 SMDs? I've done this on a couple of other boards with no ill effect but maybe I was just lucky? Either way, not gonna build up yet another collection of passives in 1206 after I've done it in thru-hole and 0805.

andrewF

amdagan wrote:

BTW, does anything bad happen if I substitute 0805's for the 1206 SMDs?

should be fine, I know one builder used 0805 for the CA sequencer without any dramas

falafelbiels

Ive used 0603 on the DP filter without any dramas.
I'd like to be in. I'll check at MASK if there is anyone else that wants to be in.
at least one panel...

Jarno

I actually use wide 1206 footprints on my own pcb's to mount 0805 components. A bit more clearance between pads underneath the components (my home etched boards do not have soldermask razz ). Fits fine (am actually using the wider footprint for kemet 1206 caps).

oootini

pcb and panel please.

bookends

whoa looks sweet

tc

PCB and Panel for me please :-)

tc

negativspace

Jarno wrote:
I actually use wide 1206 footprints on my own pcb's to mount 0805 components. A bit more clearance between pads underneath the components (my home etched boards do not have soldermask razz ). Fits fine (am actually using the wider footprint for kemet 1206 caps).

This is good advice if you're soldering by hand... lots more room to get an iron into contact with the pad using 0805 on 1206 footprint.

jaidee

PCB for me, thanks (no panel).

rosch

Sir, 1 pcb+panel set for me please!
awesome!

bugfight

2 pcb/panel sets, please

bezier

Will it fit in a eurorack row vertically?
Just planning a new case thats why w00t

the bad producer

nice job, I'd like 2 or so please!

andrewF

bezier wrote:
Will it fit in a eurorack row vertically?

yes, it is designed for eurorack
The pcb is approx 44 x 90 mm

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3