MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy new year to everyone! Thanks for being part of this place, every year you all get cooler and cooler. Apologies to everyone waiting on me for PMs, emails, subforum creation, etc. The holidays have been super busy! I'll be catching up over the next week, please hit me up again at that point if I haven't gotten back to you yet. Sorry for the delay. Thanks! <3

[Project] Random Looping Sequencer / Turing Machine
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Author [Project] Random Looping Sequencer / Turing Machine
Tombola
The BUILD THREAD part starts here: Discussion of parts, issues, help: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60740&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=120

NB: If your board is marked "Rev 2", then please read this addendum before building.
If you have a "Rev 2.1 (cap fix)" board, build according to silkscreen & instructions

http://vimeo.com/42939320

This is an update from this thread about my DIY random looping sequencer.

Hopefully the video explains what it does - it's a looping shift register sequencer, inspired by Ken Stone's Gated Comparator and Grant Richter's Noise Ring. It can loop for ever or be completely random, with CV control over the random vs loop-iness. You cannot program it to play specific tunes. You cannot save sequences. You can never go back to a sequence that has changed. It’s designed as a sequencer that you can steer roughly in one direction or another.

+ it makes a crazy wavetable wave shaper when clocked at audio rates

I built it as a Eurorack module, 10hp, very shallow, around 40mA.

How to get PCBs, panels and parts: The pcb and all the documents are Creative Commons licensed. You can make them, sell them, modify them, so long as you share your changes and mention me (Tom Whitwell)

Here is the Random sequencer project page, or jump straight to the Random Sequencer PDF Documentation, with block diagram, schematic, BOM etc.

I'm not selling PCBs myself. I got mine made by iTead studio in China. Just £17 gets you ten boards shipped to London in about 3 weeks (ie £1.70 per board!) Full details, the ready-to-post gerber PCB files, a £15 Mouser BOM and the files for laser cut acrylic panels are in Getting the parts to build a random sequencer. With luck, the whole thing could cost less than
ultrashock
wow! really cool project and nice alternative (or stab in the back hihi ) to Malekko/Wiard Noisering.
Thanx for sharing! Guinness ftw!
Pfurmel
Cool, might see if I can modify the layout and etch a pcb for this.
diablojoy
really interesting sequencer
might have build one thumbs up
Rod Serling Fan Club
That's great Tombola. It's admirable that you are sharing your work.

I really dig the acrylic panel with the flashing light strip.
jenamu6
Groupbuy for the PCB?
mckenic
we're not worthy

Oh my LORD!

WoW!
haima
Very nice SlayerBadger!

The "lock" function is awesome - obviously it's something a lot of people wish the noisering had (not to diss the noisering though, it's got it's own thing going on).

Thanks for sharing!
xerxl
A groupbuy would be great. I don't know anything about these file types and I'm a bit hesitant to try to order these by myself.
You probably realize that I'm pretty new to this diy but I'd love to give it a try.
ATOM
Will this work on a 15volt supply?

ATOM
BananaPlug
jenamu6 wrote:
Groupbuy for the PCB?

Yeah sure. We don't all need to get ten made.

Nice job Tom. thumbs up
Tombola
ATOM wrote:
Will this work on a 15volt supply?

ATOM

I have no way to test, I'm afraid. All the components are standard CMOS & TL07x op amps. None of the voltages are particularly critical, so I expect the answer is yes.

There's a collection of all the relevant datasheets here: Random Sequencer datasheet collection
spotta
mckenic wrote:
we're not worthy

Oh my LORD!

WoW!

What he said I agree!
nickster
Interesting w00t
FetidEye
great!
i'm in for a groupbuy
amsonx
jenamu6 wrote:
Groupbuy for the PCB?

if this happens i'm in for sure
MrDys
jenamu6 wrote:
Groupbuy for the PCB?

Let's make that happen.
Tombola
Just to cross post how cheap & easy it now is to order your own PCBs from China: (from this page)

PCBs: £17 ($27.10) for ten boards, inc global shipping 

1. Go to iTead studio’s PCB Prototyping service

2. Buy “Green 2 layer 5cm * 10cm Max 10pcs” for $22. This is the cheapest option. You can also choose coloured boards for a few dollars more. There's also a dropdown to chose the finish. ROHS (lead free) is an extra $5. Gold plating (ENGL) is an extra $15.

3. Once you get a confirmation email, send  this file: Random Sequencer v2 Gerbers file to [email protected] with the order number in title. I've done this with these exact files and it works fine. If they ask about 'outlines' reply 'they're in every layer'. That's the only question they've ever asked me.

4. My last order arrived in London in less than 3 weeks and cost a total of £17 - that's £1.70 per board. Sell or give away any spare PCB you end up with.

The slightly trickier bit is the panels!
monstrinho
Just curious if you had thought of giving the "write" switch a jack that would accept a trigger/gate input? I don't know if this is possible, but it seems like it would be interesting to synchronize the "write" selection...
Tombola
monstrinho wrote:
Just curious if you had thought of giving the "write" switch a jack that would accept a trigger/gate input? I don't know if this is possible, but it seems like it would be interesting to synchronize the "write" selection...

It would be possible - there are a couple of spare gates on the 4016 switch, but the switch goes both ways - to add a 1 or a 0.

If you keep firing in 1s, it ends up at 11111111 pretty quickly, so you'd need two inputs, which seemed a bit fiddly.

What does work well is a clock driving the seq, then that same clock, through a clock divider - say 1 pulse every 128 pulses. Put a short envelope triggered by second pulse into the CV input and you get loops that change slightly every 16 bars. Instant minimalism!
asterisk
if anyone arranges a group buy of PCBs, count me in for one.
maybe someone in the USA should order some and then someone in europe too....
tony d
I'd also be in for 1 in the U.S. if someone wants to organize.
tony d
Oh, and Thanks so much Tombola for sharing this.I 've had my eye on this since you first posted about the idea.
Boofin Moonrocks
I'd be interested in a US groupbuy as well. Cool project Tombola!
thanatronique
Thanks for sharing, really great stuff. I'd be in if a groupbuy happens. Also if someone is interested in making a panel, that would be awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Page 1 of 57