MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms Of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioWiggler Radio   SearchSearch   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsBlog & News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 

Additional Info for new DIY builders
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Additional Info for new DIY builders

oscarthesquirrel

Having read thru the sticky and additional stuff, also having just embarked on my first PCB builds (yes, have built full kits) I figured there isn't a hand-holding guide to choosing components.

I'm building a few Frequency Central modules. The BOM is straight forward until it comes to buying the parts (for a newbie at least).

Do I get 1% or 5% resistors if they are not specified ?? Hmm?

Most BOM stuff is straightforward, yet 2 projects and I'm buying from 6 different suppliers (Tayda is excellent...I must say) - sourcing transistors is a bit tricky (i.e. a bit of searching)..getting potentiometers has been a pain...

Anyway...any advice from experienced hands is welcome....

valis

Get 1% unless specified. Anything over a meg or so it's usually suitable and easier to get 5% resistors. In a lot of ways it depends what project you're working on and how much precision is needed.

smcumber

I am starting with Frequency Central modules too and I've found if you're patient you can get most everything you need (resistors, capacitors, transistors, IC's) from Ebay very cheaply. The only caveat is that nearly all the cheap stuff comes directly from China and can take 3-4 weeks to arrive, but hey when it's 100 resistors for a buck who cares?

I do see you're in Kuala Lumpur, though that might even work in your favor.

Tayda Electronics also seems to be a good site (based out of Thailand), they have a nicely curated selection of stuff for cheap that is geared towards DIY Electronics. The shipping is also reasonable too. Only catch is you need to spend at least $5. If you want to source everything from one place it seems like that might work.

If all else fails Mouser and Digikey in the United States have nearly everything but their shipping costs are a bit more.

I've found potentiometers to be the trickiest with sourcing and getting correct, be very aware of the resistance value, pot size (9mm or 16mm usually), orientation of the pins, the length of the pins (there are right-angle short and right-angle long) and whether they are A/B/C taper (Audio/Linear/Anti-Log).

EDIT: You mentioned Tayda already I'm an idiot.

Also I just get 1% Metal Film resistors for everything, on ebay it's like 100 for $1.20 or whatever (whereas 5% is like 20 cents less) so it's like hey who cares really.

smcumber

This is from guitarpcb.com, a guide for sourcing components:

http://www.guitarpcb.com/PDF%20Files/A%20Beginners%20Guide%20to%20Effe cts%20Pedal%20Components.pdf

This is with guitar pedals in mind, but I think a lot of information there is really useful. I'm going to build a chorus pedal and I used that as a guide. If you go to the homepage of guitarpcb.com scroll to the bottom and there is actually a bunch of useful PDF's explaining DIY electronics and stuff.

colorbars

I'm in the same position, built a few DIY modules now but I find having to source components tricky. Not so much resistors and capacitors etc but things like jacks, pots, pins/cables for power etc. Is there a list anywhere of components that are used in most projects that are a good idea to stock up on?

fuzzbass

Pots and their evil partners in crime, knobs, are all over the map, and I recommend you only buy what you need for a given project. Else you will have a stockpile of expensive parts gathering dust.

In fact I would not stockpile any parts until you have built a few things and decided you want to branch out. Then, I recommend 1% resistors.
You will find at Mouser at least, it cost the same to buy 30 or 200.
Some values that come up a lot:
100R
330R
1K < most builds
10K <most builds
100K < in literally every build
1M

If you want to build a more complete resistor selection. (this is a luxury, not a necessity)
100R
120R
150R
180R
200R
220R
270R
330R
390R
470R
560R
680R
820R
... Multiply these values by ten, and repeat:
... Multiply these values by ten, rinse repeat. Then do it again. That will take you up to 820K. Top off with 1M, 1.2M, 1.5M, 2.2M. Higher values than that get pricy.

Altitude909

Futurlec is out of Thailand and is a good source for all sorts of stuff

Starspawn

Hell no, futurlec takes ages, dont state what they have in stock, will delay your order without letting you know, then take weeks to respond when you finally get fed up, then take another month or so to refund if you ask for that instead of the parts they didnt have.
Avoid.
To be fair they dont specifically state if they have stock or not, but its very speculative having everything available to purchase in a catalogue and not mark anything.
Many have thought theyve found a special part there only to go through the above.
Tayda though Ive had no problems with.

Altitude909

It wont take ages when you are in Malaysia

Starspawn

Ah, fair enough, but still, if theyre the only place that has a part, odds are they really dont, and communication is still extremely slow if any.

rosch

Be cautious with very very cheap metal film resistors especially when they are from china and too good to be true. they are often even out of the carbon tolerance, just look like metalfilm. I've had the joy with 1000 pcs of such crap. you might have thrown your 1$ out of the window and have to wait another 4 weeks for another bunch of resistors.

oscarthesquirrel

fuzzbass wrote:
Pots and their evil partners in crime, knobs, are all over the map, and I recommend you only buy what you need for a given project.

I think I spent the most time on pot and knob hunting. Even getting a few special transistors was a relative walk in the park compared to sourcing Alpha 16mm pots...but thanks to a fellow wiggler I was directed to Small Bear Electronics.

All I want now is a sensible knob shop (isn't that what the internet was invented for ...hahhaa).

Call me strange but I like the Doepfer knobs - can't be doing with that new-fangled coloured knob nonsense ;-)

oscarthesquirrel

fuzzbass wrote:
Pots and their evil partners in crime, knobs, are all over the map, and I recommend you only buy what you need for a given project.

I think I spent the most time on pot and knob hunting. Even getting a few special transistors was a relative walk in the park compared to sourcing Alpha 16mm pots...but thanks to a fellow wiggler I was directed to Small Bear Electronics.

All I want now is a sensible knob shop (isn't that what the internet was invented for ...hahhaa).

Call me strange but I like the Doepfer knobs - can't be doing with that new-fangled coloured knob nonsense ;-)

oscarthesquirrel

fuzzbass wrote:

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1