MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Must-Have Frac Rack Modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Must-Have Frac Rack Modules?
minime123
We're looking to expand our current modern modular system and would like recommendations of must-have modules in the frac rack format that arent available in any other format, if there are any. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks and happy 2011!
mini
parasitk
This comes up every so often here, so I definitely recommend doing a search.

That said, the Binary Zone, MiniWave, and the VCO (for VC wave feature and overall nice, distinctive sound) are all Blacet essentials.

There's also the Metalbox 8008 kick drum!

//Chris
rezzn8r
frac rack, and not available in any other format....

+1 for the Binary Zone.
Kind of hard to find, but I have to also mention the Wiard Joystick Axis Generator.
minime123
thanks guys. if there are any other opinions, please keep em comin...
zerosum
EG-1(seriously!)
Binary Zone
Miniwave(duh!)

And I love my Window Comparator and wouldn't want to be without it, but don't know if it would be a "must have" for someone else.
It does pair quite nicely with the Binary Zone applause
zerosum
check this out too applause
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212&start=0
zerosum
Quote:
Kind of hard to find, but I have to also mention the Wiard Joystick Axis Generator.

I wish I could get *ANY* Wiard(besides the miniwave) in my Frac rack cry
But the only time any of it surfaces for sale on the used market is when I have $0.00 in my account.
rezzn8r
zerosum wrote:
EG-1(seriously!)
Binary Zone
Miniwave(duh!)

And I love my Window Comparator and wouldn't want to be without it, but don't know if it would be a "must have" for someone else.
It does pair quite nicely with the Binary Zone applause

The EG-1 is one of the best envelope generators in any format. SlayerBadger!
I didn't include the minwave 'cause I thought the OP stipulated "not available in any other format". Y'all know I got much love for the miniwave MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy
qu.one
I can only echo most of why's been said:

Binary Zone
VCO
MiniWave
EG-1
e-grad
I know many don't like the Final Filtre but I love mine. love

The filter has an outstanding clean sound. This can be very handy to cut some unwanted frequencies without shaping the overall sound.

It makes a great sound source. The sine in self oscillation is lovely but add some FM to create some really outstanding sounds.

Unforetunately it's no longer in production. waah

I think the Mixer/Processor a very handy module (actually it's two modules sharing one front panel). thumbs up
chamomileshark
Tricky, I think the miniwave is available in other formats - isn't there a Modcan one? - but otherwise that would be something key

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Blacet Window Comparitor -but then I don't know much about what is in the Euro - rack format.

I expect if you asked me in a few months time, I would also say the Binary zone.
Kent
qu.one wrote:
I can only echo most of why's been said:

Binary Zone
VCO
MiniWave
EG-1

Gotta agree with all of this and then add that checking out the Metalbox.com offerings would be of benefit to any Frac Bastard.
parasitk
Yeah the MiniWave is available in Modcan, and there's a conversion kit for Euro, but it's still a Blacet/Frac must-have regardless! SlayerBadger!
chamomileshark
parasitk wrote:
Yeah the MiniWave is available in Modcan, and there's a conversion kit for Euro, but it's still a Blacet/Frac must-have regardless! SlayerBadger!

Perhaps the recommendation should also extend to the additional ROM? I'd go for the Quantiser. I also like the PPG/VS one but that's my PPG fetish showing.
werock
Have a look at the Metalbox stuff, a lot of that is quite unique.
zerosum
I love my Binary Zone, and for the last year or so, I've been really wishing I had two of them.
I think it would be a good idea if I start recommending two of them instead of just one applause
zerosum
I can't believe I forgot Metalbox d'oh!
I need to get more Metalbox whenever I get around to expanding my Frac system(for that extra binary zone hihi )
Babaluma
Kind of unobtanium but:

PSIM
Blacet Time Machine
e-grad
Babaluma wrote:
Kind of unobtanium but:
[...]
Blacet Time Machine

For those into DIY:
http://www.blacet.com/bargains.html
indexofmetals
Bugbrand - bugcrusher, weevil, digital delay, touchplates, I'd better stop before list them all
Kent
Babaluma wrote:
Kind of unobtanium but:

PSIM
Blacet Time Machine

Babaluma, what kinda cool stuff did you manage to wrangle out of the PMSL lol box.

I've heard all of the horror stories. However, what cool stuff did you obtain?
Babaluma
not a lot to be honest. it sat there with one program installed, waiting for the next time i felt like connecting a fat ugly monitor style lead from my PC to my modular, for loading the next program.

mike firman's programs were the best i got out of it. quadrature LFOs and such.

but after waiting two and half years for it, and having to threaten the evil brice d. hornback with legal action, i didn't feel much like keeping a hold of it. it had "bad mojo".

not that it's any comfort to those who never got theirs, but i had it about a year then sold it for a profit, i can't remember who to, someone on here i think.

there looked to be an interesting synth DIY later version with more stuff, i think i remember seeing one or two.

great idea in theory, looked great (especially with the 4 pulsing blue LEDs in quad LFO mode), but not so great in practice, at least not for me.
tIB
not really had frac long enough to chime in here but suprised by the absence of any hex zone talk: mines in the post so no played it yet, on paper it looks the shit though. No love for it?
darenager
Jason Proctor was doing something similar to that PS1M using an arduino as the core.

tIB glad to hear the Frac expansion is going to plan thumbs up
KNYST
indexofmetals wrote:
Bugbrand - bugcrusher, weevil, digital delay, touchplates, I'd better stop before list them all

+1

more essentials from BugBrand: SYN2A VCO (both versions), DC mixer, EG, SV filter, LFO rev2... and more will come.

Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2