MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Toward a More Perfect Sine Wave.Help! Next Oscillator Quest
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Toward a More Perfect Sine Wave.Help! Next Oscillator Quest
Kent
Beloved Mufflers,

I'm looking at picking up another (pair?) of oscillators in the near future. This is a part of my quest for the perfect sine wave.

All assclownery aside, I'm looking for something very smooth & 'pretty'. Like my posterior. The prettier aspects of this file https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2233 are what I have in mind.

My Vostok & Wretch have "Das Anger!" covered. It is a lot of extra work to get the Vostok to sound like it is playing with the daisies. It always just wants to eat them up and spit them out. The Wretch can also be made to be less ravenous for blood, but it is Hz/V and I want the new oscillator(s) to play nicely with my French Connection.

At this point, I'm looking at:

1) ASys RS95(e)
2) Tip Top Z3000
3) AFG

and I have a Plan B M15 that should be here any day now.

I'm leaning toward a Z3000 since it will make tuning it, and other oscs., easier to do with the French Connection.
I could also do Frac, but the pickings are might slim there.

What say y'all? What's 'pretty' out there & not 'pretty out there'!
felix
I think you might get the most out of the Z3k as well. It's a fantastic VCO, sounds great, a great price, and the frequency counter is a great feature. It also doesn't take up much space at all (14HP).

My favorite VCO (out of M15, Z3k, AFG) is the AFG, by a pretty large margin. I love the dual attenuated FM inputs (switchable between lin/exp to boot!), the dedicated sync out, the sub-oct out and of course the animated waveshapes. All this is increased by the fact that you have the second, "Anti-Matter" set of waveforms. I can't wait for the Flux Capacitor release so I can start morphing between these shapes!

The AFG also has this very retro sound quality to it, Mike did very effectively achieve that "70's vibe" that he was going for. The AFG+Frequensteiner is my favorite sound source on my system, and I use it constantly.

As far as tuning goes, you don't have the visual display of a frequency counter, but I've found the AFG by far the easiest to tune, due specifically to it's large Course control and extra large Fine control. It's night and day compared to tuning the Z3k or the M15, both of which generally require more light, careful tweaking.

But, it's big (28HP), pricey compared to others, and...well, those are the only two downsides that I can really think of.
sandyb
AFG and the model 15 is a good combination Kent. even better is an AFG and two model 15s. i haven't tried the others so don't know about them.
REwire
Looking at my RS-95, Model15, Z3000 and AFG's sines on a scope, the AFG had the most perfect round sine.
Kent
After receiving the previous feedback, I'd like to add that space is not an issue. I've got 6U open at the moment. AFG would be fine.

Thanks so far, guys. Keep 'em coming! Any Frac besides Blacet out there?
wetterberg
REwire wrote:
Looking at my RS-95, Model15, Z3000 and AFG's sines on a scope, the AFG had the most perfect round sine.
why bother? isnt that what ears are for? Which one *sounds the best*?

ahem. sorry.
modularplanner
I just posted an AFG Sine noodle in the tunes section, no filtering used. Although I must say, its "tainted" by 2 A-110's lol
wetterberg
btw, Mankato, Kent. Mankato. Get it. Make STG make you a euro one... or didnt elby do one?
Kent
Hip me to it, brother. Does this thing do double-duty as an oscillator?
Kent
modularplanner wrote:
I just posted an AFG Sine noodle in the tunes section, no filtering used. Although I must say, its "tainted" by 2 A-110's lol

Please see your post there. It's a "Private Channel". Translation = I can't listen to the damn thing.
wetterberg
Kent wrote:
Hip me to it, brother. Does this thing do double-duty as an oscillator?
yes, just about the best sine out there. Slew, filter, Osc. one module.
REwire
wetterberg wrote:
REwire wrote:
why bother? isnt that what ears are for? Which one *sounds the best*?

ahem. sorry.

To me, the one that "sounds the best" is the one with the most imperfections and has some harmonics. I don't know which does since I only use them for sub bass, drums and FM. I only looked at them on a scope to see what all the obsessions were about.

But also, Wave Mults, Shapers and Folders will sound different depending on how few harmonics are in the the source waveform so a perfect sine can make a difference. I personally love the way the Model 15 Sine sounds with the STG Wave Folder.
Kent
BTW, in order to help put a finer point on things; I give 1/2 a toss about 'perfection' of the Argitothian sort. I just want "Mellow like Jelloâ„¢", baby!
Sweet and soft... like wetterberg.

So, can some kind soul link me to a nice example of the Mankato as sinewave? Any particular example that made you think of it, Andreas?
wetterberg
yeah, elemental posted one a while back
Kent
Um, so; Dan... which of those that you own would be the best match for the French Connection and some mellow slippy-slidey action? Sonically...
wetterberg
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31364#31364

nicest sine shit I ever heard I think?
Funky40
Hi,

the Time i had the M15 it was giving me the nicest sine sounds i knew then.
but my anyware VCOs where really not far behind.
Now, the Mankato gives me the nicest sine i know.
I can't say how they would compare as the M15 is sold.

The m15 looked very good but not totally perfect on the Scope, the anyware a liitle more unperfect, and motm(DIY) sine even more unperfect.
The Mahkato looks perfect on the Scope for my Eye.
the sine from the NM1 looks also perfect, but it don't "sounds".
But: i had not enough gain, while the Mahkato has the most poewerful sine from all VCOs i know.
That brought me to the thinking that the Gain is _really_ from importance.

I made a test with patching sinewaves over a gainstage with manual control.
Nice how you can drive them into distortions. Unbelievable how underrated Gainstages are !
hmmm, i think the Mahkato was still the best.

the roundest and bellyest basssounds i ever heard camed from my Zero wiith thru Zero FM.
There is no Sine wave that can give you this IMHO . but it was not planable. It was the interacting of FM index and ratios and the seqeunces itself.
you can get magic with a Zero. but IMHO not for granted.
( it's still for sale my dotcom Zero wink , and it was also in a minijack-only System in use wink )

the Mahkato is here in use as a VC-LFO only. You can get 3-4 octaves of tracking, but only in that certain range you calibrate it, IIRC
felix
Hey Kent, folks might not be getting the "perfect sine" inside joke. You're not really after the perfect sine...or are you?!
parasitk
Behold, the perfect sine!

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
parasitk
okay I did this one before, but it's hard to resist!
Kent
felix wrote:
Hey Kent, folks might not be getting the "perfect sine" inside joke. You're not really after the perfect sine...or are you?!

You do have a point. It seems like people missed the fact that I called out Argitoth by name. So, yeah; 'a sine wave' perfect or otherwise has nothing to do with my actual quest; but has a LOT to do with me being a smart-ass.

Thanks for bringing it up, Felix. Just in case people were confused.
Kent
wetterberg wrote:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31364#31364

nicest sine shit I ever heard I think?

Intriguing. I'm reading the epic Mankato Thread right now. I'm hoping that the Mank can track accurately as an osc.
dougcl
I am also leaning toward the M15. Not sure if it is widely known that there are two trim pots on the M15 for altering the contour of the sine. It is really nice and easy to work with. Mine arrived a little out, and Peter helped me fix it. In terms of mellow and creamy, I think the M15 is the best I've heard so far. Really great with the QMMG.
Jari Jokinen
Kent wrote:
I'm leaning toward a Z3000 since it will make tuning it, and other oscs., easier to do with the French Connection.
The Z3000 frequency counter may be handy especially in some performance situations. However, as a former French Connection user, I would suggest doing it the hard way most of the time. Your ears and a tuning fork should be enough...
Kent
Jari Jokinen wrote:
Kent wrote:
The Z3000 frequency counter may be handy especially in some performance situations. However, as a former French Connection user, I would suggest doing it the hard way most of the time. Your ears and a tuning fork should be enough...

SlayerBadger! lol

Yeah, man! You know the score! I do it all by ear. I thought that the Z3000 would also come in handy for tuning the Wretch Machine. And for tuning other oscillators to the Z3000 as a Master.

Plus, I'm like a crack fiend with modules. Sellin' off guitar pedals & dropping the dough into modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2