MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A-138b Mixer and signal degradation
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author A-138b Mixer and signal degradation
jonkull
I noticed the following last night...

If I plug an AFG directly into the FrequenSteiner I get a clear, loud signal coming out of the FrequenSteiner. If I plug an AFG into a 138b then into the FrequenSteiner the signal degrades. It has to be at 7 or 8 just so I can hear something and that is muddy and barely audible. The signal doesn't even register on my audio interface. In order to get the same volume as AFG direct to FS I have to crank the volume knobs on the 138b to 10 in which case I get clipping, noise and distortion.

So I'm wondering a few of things...

Is this just normal signal degradation (2 patch cables, 3 modules as opposed to 1 patch cable and 2 modules)? Is this a characteristic of the 138b? For example people say not to use the 131 VCA because of distortion...does the 138b have the same issue? Is there a better mixer?

Thanks.
REwire
Doepfer improved signal quality with the A-132-2 VCA but the A-138 mixers are still not high fidelity. Only solution at this time is the Plan-B Model 9 or Cwejman stuff.
jonkull
That sucks. Instead of something 'fun' I guess I need a Model 9 now...
dougcl
jonkull wrote:
It has to be at 7 or 8 just so I can hear something and that is muddy and barely audible.

This sounds worse than typical, although it's been a while since I've used an A-138 for audio. Doesn't seem to me it was that bad. If you're a stickler, save and get the Cwejman VCA4-MX. This is really a great, compact module.
flippantminister
i have a 138b and have not noticed the volume issue you describe. i have noticed distortion and muddiness when multiple sound sources get loud... i have just used that as a "feature."
chimologic
I haven't noticed that problem with my 138b, but yes it does distort depending ont he loudness of the inputs.

I am not sure I have ever run the AFG trough it though as I also have the Cwejman 4VCA mixer which I use as my main mixer in my system. But will compare them enxt time I get a chance.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1