MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

prog rock favorites
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author prog rock favorites
de_raaf
if i had to choose one
i love this one to death:

Il Balletto Di Bronzo "ys"
apfEID
Off to a great start! Ys rules!

Magma - mdk
Magma -attahk
Yes - Relayer
King Crimson - red
de_raaf
universe zero 13.13 lp
king crimson "usa" lp
lordofthebored
Two more for the Zeuhl prog list:

Eskaton - 4 visions! This is one of my favorite records of any genre -of all time.

Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Mort Vite. Insane recording. Haven't jammed it in a while, Thanks for the reminder!
Norman_Phay
Van der Graaf Generator "Godbluff" slayz all for me.
also like:
Genesis "Nursery Cryme"
Anglagard "Hybris" and "Epilog"
all Yes albums from the first one thru "Relayer" also bits of "going for the one" (bad quality dropoff after that, but what a run they had)
Gracious! s/t album
Eh, a bunch of other stuff, I'm loaded and my brain isn't working properly.
Thighpaulsandra
Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Vont Vites.....wonderfully grim. What a find.
Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning
The Art Bears.... all excellent albums
England- Garden Shed.....derivative but a lost prog classic
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
ELP - Tarkus....oh god, I said it.

Thighp
apfEID
ELP is generally pretty good when they aren't singing.
Christopher Winkels
I think the only prog I still dust off from time to time is:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
FM - Black Noise
Rush - 2112, Hemispheres, and A Farewell to Kings
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Pink Floyd - Animals
jenamu6
Everything by The Mars Volta
apfEID
lordofthebored wrote:

Shub Niggurath - Les Morts Mort Vite. Insane recording. Haven't jammed it in a while, Thanks for the reminder!

wow, this sounds like Man is the Bastard vs Magma at times, with a dreary horror vibe.

iow, loving it! thanks!
Paraphonique
Thighpaulsandra wrote:

Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
thumbs up

Fantastic album ! I saw them at Ottawa's Bluesfest 2009 and was blown away. Organ playing is a lost art...

P-Pho,
Scot Solida
All time favorite has to be Quiet Sun - Mainstream

These get played a lot around here too:

Univers Zero - Heresie
Camel - Mirage
National Health - Of Queues and Cures
PFM - Cook
Magma - Udu Wudu
Happy the Man - Crafty Hands
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Matching Mole - Little Red Record
Heldon - everything.

Geez, there's lots of others...
chamomileshark
most of the Canterbury stuff, oh..too many to list.
boramx
Don't get to hear too much prog, just cause my taste for it is random and fickle.

However, i've been enjoying franco battaito's "pollution" for the last few days.
Clockgate
Some prog I love ....

King Crimson: 'Lizard' and 'Islands'
Van Der Graaf Generator: 'The least we can do is wave to each other'
Genesis: 'Selling England By the Pound'
Gentle Giant: 'Playing the Fool' (live)
Pink Floyd: 'Atom Heart Mother'
de_raaf
Museo Rosenbach -Zarathustra another italian killer

need to relisten a lot of stuff, will add ones that stand out later

also the muffins -185, but its a while i listened to that one
oozitron
A little more mainstream, but totally excellent is the live Kansas double album "Two For the Show"

Kerry Livgren plays Yamaha Elecric Grand, Minimog, Clavinet & Korg PS-3200. Steve Walsh plays Hammond, ARP strings and Pro-Solist

Amazingly good recording and super tight performances. I like it better than their studio albums smile

Drew
de_raaf
some more italian stuff

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso :Io sono nato libero lp + darwin Lp

Corte Dei Miracoli: "s/t" lp

Formula 3:Sognando E Risognando lp + La Grande Casa lp

from england
t2:It'll all work out in Boomland

more to relisten to like
like le orme and l'osanna, etc

also cool: Eduardo Bort "s/t"
ripit
not as prog as magma or other could be, but something around it for sure :

Arthur Brown Kingdom Come - Journey

(also, this might be the first record using a drum machine)
Ulven
Gentle giant! thumbs up
Chrome Dinette
Algarnas Tradgard- Framtidden and Delayed

Magma-Attahk, MDK, Udu Wudu

King Crimson-Usa, Larks Tongues... , Red

The 90's era live B'Boom is pretty great, though I tend to prefeer the instrumentals to the vocal songs.

Magma offshoot Weidorje is pretty great.

Upsilon Acrux is great newer band, I like their record Radian Futura.

Some Flying Luttenbachers records might appeal to prog fans. I would suggest Cataclysm(they cover Messiaen), Incarceration by Abstraction and Infection and Decline.
solitaryzen
Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Goblin, Magma, King Crimson, early Genesis etc..
JohnLRice
Limiting myself to one album per band (almost impossible!) and off the top of my head:

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
Focus - Moving Waves
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Yes - Close To The Edge
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Gentle Giant - Interview
Happy The Man - Crafty Hands
Kansas - Song For America
Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
Genesis - Foxtrot
Peter Gabriel - 3rd
Van der Graff - Childhood's End
Peter Hammill - Over
Synergy - Sequencer
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Darkside Of The Moon
England - Garden Shed
FM - Black Noise
PFM - The World Became The World
and all the ones I can't remember . . .
miditerranean
I kinda like the minimoog solo boner track "White Rock" by Wakeman.
emdot_ambient
Threads like this really make me marvel at how broad some people interpret "prog". I mean, I know there were sub-genres of the movement (Canterbury, Zeuhl, Symphonic, etc.), and if it had been discussed back then the way genres are today all these sub-genres would have been vehemently argued over as being distinct genres--in fact if you take the ones listed here as being "prog" they all have far more variation than the EM genres today have...But "back in the day" we didn't do so much genre nitpicking and were more inclined to describe bands by what they sounded like.

Prog, to me, back then was mostly instrumental, long format, multiple key time signature changes, with the emphasis on rock rather than jazz.

Of course it wasn't a hard and fast definition but any band that was predominately jazz with rock elements (Return to Forever) I would have called Jazz Fusion. Any band that relied heavily on symphonic elements I would have called Symphonic Rock (first LP by Schicke, Führs & Fröhling, Clearlight's Symphony LP). Any band that relied more on shorter song structures, unconventional lyrical content and heavy rock elements without so much reliance on showing off instrumental technique was typically called Art Rock (King Crimson and Eno's rock LPs). Rock In Opposition and/or avant garde was resigned for the misfits like Henry Cow, Slapp Happy.

And then there were bands that didn't fit any definition. Van der Graaf Generator, Heldon, Sensations Fix all fit into that. I never really considered them progressive rock, though they were definitely progressive in their approaches.

Just observations, not challenging anyone else's definition.

...but...
Scot Solida wrote:
All time favorite has to be Quiet Sun - Mainstream
Camel - Mirage
Happy the Man - Crafty Hands
Heldon - everything.

...are all excellent ones. Quiet Sun in particular was stellar. Too bad there was only one LP by them.

Camel, to me, encompasses the pure heart of prog rock...good and bad. Excellent musicianship, beautiful and evolving songs, but sprinkled with some pretense and melodrama, a touch of folk and a touch of jazz at different points of their career. Mirage is pure prog to me, though I might ultimately prefer their more pop Moondawn LP.

Happy the Man was excellent on the more jazz side, without going all RTF on us. I actually had a pretty intimate relationship with them back in the day...well, from a fan's point of view anyway. See, I saw their first LP's release concert at Carter Baron Amphitheater in Washington DC. It was a free concert and I took a very lovely wonderful girl to it. Very romantic and a totally awesome live performance. Then, I also saw them perform their last concert before breaking up. Again in DC, this time at the original Cellar Door just before that venue closed, changed locations or was remodeled (can't remember which). So the two times I saw them live were bookends on their original line up.

Heldon...I really can't think of them as prog. They're just too unique. They sit in the middle of a Ven Diagram between Robert Fripp, Tangerine Dream and...some kind of industrial jazz group. Amazing collection of LPs but in my mind they stand alone.

Van der Graaf is similar. Their early career was a bit more prog, but they also had elements of proto-punk, gothic and industrial. They, too, suffered from insufferable (though totally forgiven by me) melodrama.

Sensations Fix...Portable Madness. I've always considered that Italian Space Rock but they should be mentioned here as well. An unduly little recognized and underrated band.

...never really thought of Pink Floyd as prog either. Again, kind of their own thing.

And YES. Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer. love
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4