MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

stereo to mono adapter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author stereo to mono adapter
monroe
I am a fan of using cheap general-purpose parts that do the same job whenever possible. I got a stereo to mono adapter from Radioshack to feed my ipod into my modular. It worked fine. Once I tried using a Y-adapter built for splitting (i.e. a multiple) as a mixer and sometimes this resulted in distortion. I read up and found that when you simply connect the hot signals together, you are shorting them to each other and sometimes the current wants to flow from one source to another instead of your output destination. So I am wondering, why did the stereo to mono adapter seem to mix the right and left channels perfectly, while this Y-cable messed things up sometimes? Was it just luck, or does Radioshack's adapter actually incorporate some protection resistors to stop unwanted cross-feed? Any guesses?

Thanks.
drewtoothpaste
Impedance
monroe
Please elaborate, Mr. Comedian, sir.
dan_p
Impudence
mome rath
Impotence
monroe
why? waah
dan_p
monroe wrote:
why? waah

Sorry......

I think the special adapter you buy has resistors in, the commons are shorted and the +'s are fed through resistors then the resistors are connected, at least I think so, but I am shit at electronics so you may want a second opinion.
stk
Every stereo to mono adaptor I've ever seen is simple a y-cable without the cable, no resistors.
I think you just got lucky with it not distorting. Would depend on the output level too, surely.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1