MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

trogotronic
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author trogotronic
krv
anybody?
any experience?
zerosum
He sure is fun to talk to that's for sure lol

I don't have any direct experience yet with the gear yet, but that dude is fuckin cool 8_) Send him an e-mail!
He makes crazy shit MY ASS IS BLEEDING

I do have some plans for some Trogotronic in my future! SlayerBadger!
cyklopljud
This may interest you, https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3382&highlight=trogo tronic

O.
Cybananna
+1. He's a great guy.

I have a destroyer (tube) and an IC unit, I forget the number. I love them both. I run the destroyer through a wah and a kaoss pad for some really interesting sounds.

I have it in my plans to buy another tube unit and an IC unit both. I just checked his website and saw that he's discontinued some stuff. He does som amazing custom devices too.

Edit: damn spell correct!
krv
Thank you all! SlayerBadger!
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
I own a 666 (actually I am selling my 666) and I find it to be both amazing and extremely frustrating. This thing is capable of turning the simplest sound into a cacophony of whirring, screeching insanity. On it's own it rumbles, screams, howls or... um... sits quietly doing nothing for long stretches of time. I found it too chaotic for me in the long run so I sampled the shit out of it and threw it up on the classified page here for the next willing victim.
burnn_out!
twisted Really interested in aquiring some of the custom hot rod signal generators twisted

+1 on being an awesome guy to talk to. seriously call the guy, ask some questions, he'll talk your ear off about his product line and whatever else you want to know.
ripit
a good exemple of Trogotronic devices use (or custom made by Nelson) ? just check some of the BASTARD NOISE recording from 1996/2010 era... just a blast ! but a delicate blast of harshness.

In the same vein, familly, AMPS FOR CHRIST did some amazing wtf tube oscillators/guitar amp, but they are only custom made for friends or for himself.
Both are really nice people to talk to.
monument
Anyone using the m669 by Trogotronic? Looks pretty nasty...
papercutnoise
monument wrote:
Anyone using the m669 by Trogotronic? Looks pretty nasty...

Yeah, very tempted by the 669 too, particularly the Bosshog version. Curious about the input though. Is it mic or line level??
Nelson Baboon
my problem with their previous devices is the same complaint that I have about lots of 'noise boxes'. They can sound great, and really inject a strong chaotic element into a track. But then, after you've used it several times, can you really get something different out of it?

this is what makes devices like the cocoquantus, and the blippoo stand out in my opinion - you can use them in a variety of ways, and with modulation, and they don't get stale.

But this is what interests me about the 669 cv, and also the other 'mini synth' with cv (I forget the number). When you can control a bunch of the sonic parameters with cv, you have more variety, more interesting repeatable rhythms available, etc.

I find myself very tempted to try it.
papercutnoise
Nelson Baboon wrote:
my problem with their previous devices is the same complaint that I have about lots of 'noise boxes'. They can sound great, and really inject a strong chaotic element into a track. But then, after you've used it several times, can you really get something different out of it?

this is what makes devices like the cocoquantus, and the blippoo stand out in my opinion - you can use them in a variety of ways, and with modulation, and they don't get stale.

But this is what interests me about the 669 cv, and also the other 'mini synth' with cv (I forget the number). When you can control a bunch of the sonic parameters with cv, you have more variety, more interesting repeatable rhythms available, etc.

I find myself very tempted to try it.

Yeah I definitely get what you mean. With the 669 I could easily see myself putting together a small beauty case with some modulation and processing modules to bring a little something extra.
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
I owned the 665, 666, and 655. Nothing sounds like these boxes. That being said, improvising with them never worked with me. Too unpredictable. What I liked to do was sample them, and use them to build layers in Ableton. Ultimately, my noise setup moved way over into the pure improv zone, and I got rid of the Trogos. I regret it, but they were way too unstable for my uses.

Let me amend this: My boxes were from the first and second run of them, way back in the early thousands. I'm not sure how the boxes he makes today sound.
monument
well... I just made the purchase. m669 is in the mail ! I really love the unstable nature of these, actually. I also see it as a limited effects tool - for nasty abrasion. Unpredictable - is kinda scary live, but depends on what you're going for, i guess. Similarly, I love using the Synchrodyne Expand as central to the patch and 'improvising' live. The Synchrodyne can of course be tamed, but if allowed... way squirrelly.
papercutnoise
monument wrote:
well... I just made the purchase. m669 is in the mail ! I really love the unstable nature of these, actually. I also see it as a limited effects tool - for nasty abrasion. Unpredictable - is kinda scary live, but depends on what you're going for, i guess. Similarly, I love using the Synchrodyne Expand as central to the patch and 'improvising' live. The Synchrodyne can of course be tamed, but if allowed... way squirrelly.

Cool! Which version did you get? The Warthog or Bosshog?

Hopefully gonna drop the cash on a Bosshog this weekend smile

EDIT: Don't mind me, just saw that the M series are all eurorack!
DickMarker
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
I owned the 665, 666, and 655. Nothing sounds like these boxes. That being said, improvising with them never worked with me. Too unpredictable. What I liked to do was sample them, and use them to build layers in Ableton. Ultimately, my noise setup moved way over into the pure improv zone, and I got rid of the Trogos. I regret it, but they were way too unstable for my uses.

Let me amend this: My boxes were from the first and second run of them, way back in the early thousands. I'm not sure how the boxes he makes today sound.

I'm a 665 owner - they are unstable little fuckers but after years of use, I feel I'm starting to just about expect what might happen on most settings! I did a little mod on mine which added a mute/killswitch type button which helped to tame it somewhat.

Of his eurorack stuff, I think the processors rather than the oscillators are where his stuff shines. The M11 and M333 are very cool units. I emailed him a while back after noticing a connector labeled 'breakout' on the back of the M333 - he replied somewhat cryptically that 'there are plans for this - I cannot be more forthcoming right now' or words to that effect.
Scvnger
krv wrote:
anybody?
any experience?

Making it simple. Great stuff. Great company.
DickMarker
Excuse the plug (although I figure it's a plug for Trogotronics also) - if you listen to the third track on my Soundcloud page, Hypnotherapy, you'll hear some fine use of the 665 noise box - actually got played twice on BBC Radio 6 a few months ago!

https://soundcloud.com/dick-marker
jshell
I have the 679 Gran Fury minisynth and generally like it. It's a favorite to pair with the Repeater Horndog which is an even more frustrating but awesome noisebox.

I'm envious of the 669's number of buttons. I really really love this in the recent minisynths and love them on the 679 and will probably get some m11 eurorack versions when I start expanding my eurorack setup. Really great buttons, and they probably make the new minisynths more performable than the old knob-only ones.

They're weird boxes. The CV inputs are not quite as useful or straightforward as one expects but sometimes with the right settings or CV source they can be a delight. I'm thinking of playing the 679 with a Koma Kommander (optical to CV) for a sudden show this weekend. I had some moderate success playing the 679 in sync with a Korg Voca and iPad using the Teenage Engineering OP-1 (taking MIDI output from the iPad and turning into MIDI for the Volca and CV for the 679).
acidicfeces
DickMarker wrote:
Excuse the plug (although I figure it's a plug for Trogotronics also) - if you listen to the third track on my Soundcloud page, Hypnotherapy, you'll hear some fine use of the 665 noise box - actually got played twice on BBC Radio 6 a few months ago!

holy shit, heavy as fuck we're not worthy
is that your voice throughout the song?
FetidEye
i bought a 669 (eurorack) , performed with it last saterday.
it has a really big sound when used without input, growling bass and squeecks.
and the red pops out quite nicely!
DickMarker
acidicfeces wrote:
DickMarker wrote:

holy shit, heavy as fuck we're not worthy
is that your voice throughout the song?

Thanks man! No, not my voice - it's a guy called John Doran, he's a music journalist and runs The Quietus. Some point next year we're hopefully going to do a full album of stuff in this vein.

I just remembered also, the 'rhythm' in that track is created by the M333.
DickMarker
Oh, and has anyone else spotted the latest Trogotronic eurorack product yet?

He's gone and done a case.

M168
toddak
I have the 679 and 669 mini synths, and love them. Similarly I have had the 666 in module format, and found it a little too hard to control for improv (still regret letting it go a bit...).

But these two stand on their own as instruments. Incredibly flexible.
abandonist
I have the original Warthog 669.

I quite like it, but am going to put it up for trade once I get 100 posts. Need a straight synth right now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2