MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Powering the D1000 (in Europe)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Powering the D1000 (in Europe)
Girilal
Hi!

It's been hell trying to find a decent PSU in Sweden that will supply enough to power the D1000. Finally I got hold of a Mascot PSU, but the thing is actually making noise!

So what do you think, since the D1000 says it can take 12-16V, wouldn't it be possible to power it using the 15V 2.5A Doepfer PSU?
I'm using one Doepfer bussboard to power some Eurorack modules controlling the D1000, so could I simply split the power from the PSU and feed the second line to the D1000?
zerosum
Send Metasonix an email: synth at metasonix dot com
nrdvrgr
Or contact Escapefromnoise.com in Sweden.
I just did wink
dan_p
I got the same question, but not the Euro PSU part.

I'm after a good PSU for this and possibly an Assblaster too.

what's best 12v/16v? 1.5amp or more?

I'm in UK though so need a proper Man's 3 pin, not your girly Euro 2 pin hihi
BugBrand
I'll have a look around for you guys.. Sure there must be something easily available somewhere.

What does the power go in on? Regular 2.1mm DC socket or something else?
dan_p
BugBrand wrote:
I'll have a look around for you guys.. Sure there must be something easily available somewhere.

What does the power go in on? Regular 2.1mm DC socket or something else?

nice one Tom. the socket is 2.1mm.

D-1000 needs 12v-16v AC, but not sure what's best? is there any difference to noise etc?

Not sure on KV-100, says 12v AC on website.

I know Maplins do one but not sure if they are the best thing for them quality wise? would be nice to have something good.
BugBrand
Ah - so AC not DC supplies.

(Girilal - that's important!)

Ok - looked on the website.
So sourcing a 12VAC 1.5A would work good for both.

KV-100 says 12VAC only - is that correct? (ie is it different from the D1000 which is happy with a larger range) - my hunch would be that both would be 12-16vac input because that is so standard for making a bipolar supply internally.

RS - UK 12VAC 1.5A supply:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getP roduct&R=4006541

And Euro Version:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getP roduct&R=4006608

Shout if you need help getting these!
dan_p
Do I need a trade account to buy from RS? I only ever bought from them when I was employed by someone with an account.
BugBrand
That's what I'm not sure about.
I know I can order with free shipping and (I think) no minimum order - so it is no trouble for me to get 'em for you. But if you can buy direct it may work out the cheapest and easiest..
slow_riot
I bought from RS the other day as personal customer. Order was about £40.

They ask in registration to provide a business name, but as far as I could tell that was just for postage. I just used a comma. Paid for postage costs (£4/5) but nothing unexpected and was simple order process. some clicks and then done.
Girilal
Thanks for all the answers!

And thanks Tom for the RS links. Those are actually exactly the ones I found! But the actual transformer itself is noisy, I mean physically noisy as it sits there in a socket. Not sure if it's a bug or a feature, as we've had some holiday days in Sweden this week, but I was going to contact RS on Monday...
Postage in Sweden was about 150 SEK (£12-13), which basically doubled the price of the (noisy) transformer.

And I'll contact Metasonix and Escapefromnoise.com

I'll let you know how things turn out!

Thanks!
Lama
Girilal, I can´t find any way to link directly to it, but search for 570876 at Conrad.se. I use this for my Wretch and it works fine, and I think it will work with the D-1000 too. (I sure hope it will because thats what I ordered for Nordvargr... eek! )
Girilal
I got a reply from Mr. Metasonix which included this suggestion:

Have you tried getting one of the transformers that are used to run 12v halogen lighting?

I really wouldn't even know where to start looking for something like that.. Does anyone have any ideas?
Lama
The one I recomended just below is for halogen lights, works very well.
dan_p
They got UK stores too,

This the one? Here

Hey Lama, you using this for KV-100 too?
Girilal
Thanks Lama!

This looks like a better solution that what I have been able to come up with! Excuse my poor maths, but does 60 VA mean it'll supply a whooping 5A at 12VAC?!

Dan_p your link didn't work, but searching for the number Lama provided will work.
Lama
Dan, I didn´t get the link to work either, but the article number, 570876, goes to the same adapter in the UK shop, so I suppose it is the one.

About the KV-100, I don´t know yet, but I soon will. I have a KV-100 coming this week and I will try it together with this adapter.

Girilal, I think so, it´s plenty of cream. smile
Girilal
Yeah, looks like you could run the D1000 AND KV-100 and still have power left over to boil your tea!

I just ordered it from Conrad.se, so I'll hook it up and report:-)
metasonix
BugBrand wrote:
RS - UK 12VAC 1.5A supply:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getP roduct&R=4006541

And Euro Version:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getP roduct&R=4006608

Yes, those will power the D-1000 or the KV100.
If it hums, I don't know what to tell you.
Girilal
I have the one that both Tom and Eric have linked to (the Euro version). And either I have a bum one or the construction itself is not up to driving the D1000.

But I have ordered #570876 at Conrad.se, recommended by Lama (who uses it with the Wretch) and I hope that'll work out better. I think it is 5A 12VAC:-)

Boy, I want to make music, not buy PSUs!!
AntManBee
Did anyone find a PSU that works with the D-1000 in the UK? Did the RS - UK 12VAC 1.5A supply work OK? And would a 12V 1.5A AC/DC switch mode transformer like I've seen on eBay for cheaps work?

I have a D-1000 on its way to me here in London from across the ocean and would like to get a PSU before the D-1000 reaches me.
Girilal
Hi!

The RS psu linked in earlier posts is not very good. It is actually noisy in itself!

Instead I bought # 570876 from Conrad.se. (Thanks Lama!!)
There is a conrad.com and they have prices in euros, so you should be able to ship to England (you may just have to change plugs?). Just search for 570876. It's rather heavy but works very well! And the D1000 actually sounds better than with the RS's Mascot PSU.

Bon chance!
metasonix
I dunno what to tell you guys, because I can't buy European AC adapters in the US to save my life.

If you can't find them at a local electronics store or from a distributor like Conrad or Maplin, go to a hardware or home-furnishings shop that sells 12-volt halogen spot lighting for home use. They might also have transformers to run those lamps, sold separately. Or you could just buy a lamp and transformer set, and throw the lamp away. (Beware of IKEA halogen lamps, they apparently use a switching power supply that can't be used to run electronics.)
nrdvrgr
Metasonix in EU = Conrad.

Tried D-1000 / KV-100 / S-1000, and they all works fine with them.
AntManBee
nrdvrgr wrote:
Metasonix in EU = Conrad.

Tried D-1000 / KV-100 / S-1000, and they all works fine with them.

OK but is it definitely Conrad part #570876 - a 12v halogen lighting transformer and doesn't seem to be 1.5A? Also doesn't have the 2.1mm plug or a connecting cable...is there really no wallwart that works in the UK/EU?

I really fucking hate external power supplies! Isn't there space in that cute little box to fit a proper power supply which can be switched between US & european voltages?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2