MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Piston Honda says, "I love global blast!"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Piston Honda says, "I love global blast!"
jbartee
So it turns out you can use PH like a simple 8-bit sampler. You just lay out your sample (in this case, me speaking the phrase "I love global blast") from start to finish across the 256 banks. Then you build your patch to play through the waves in order to reconstruct the sample. In this video the hither and yon banks are only loosely synchronized (via lfo reset). I'm waiting on an A-151 to get here, which should allow for much more accurate (and therefore clearer) reconstruction.

Watch it on youtube for a slightly higher quality version.
jbartee
This one is just me having some fun. More of a glitched out, Richard Devine feel.
Richard Devine
Nice, love this!
jbartee
Thanks man, you gave me the idea with your vocaloid honda video.
sgnelson
Very cool, I had thought about doing this very thing but never really thought seriously as to how to go about doing it and never actually did it, so props to you. applause SlayerBadger!

Would you mind explaining how you created and organized the samples for the ROM? I never conceptualized how I would arrange the tables for the best way to form coherent words, much less an entire sentence. And while distorted, you get it sounding pretty darn good.

Great implementation.

Also, why "I love global blast?" I feel I'm missing some pop culture reference, but I'm just curious.
zdarma
I'm starting to dig the Piston Honda vibe
jbartee
sgnelson wrote:
Very cool, I had thought about doing this very thing but never really thought seriously as to how to go about doing it and never actually did it, so props to you. applause SlayerBadger!

Would you mind explaining how you created and organized the samples for the ROM? I never conceptualized how I would arrange the tables for the best way to form coherent words, much less an entire sentence. And while distorted, you get it sounding pretty darn good.

Great implementation.

Also, why "I love global blast?" I feel I'm missing some pop culture reference, but I'm just curious.

I didn't do any organization at all, it's literally just the spoken phrase recorded into audacity, saved as raw data, converted to hex and then burned onto the EEPROM. The only thing I did was slightly time compress the recording to equal the correct number of samples (65536 to fill the whole chip).

The trick is in how the PH organizes the hither and yon banks. Hither is "interleaved" with yon, so you get one hither wave for every 16 yon waves. It would look like this:

Hither1, Yon1, Yon2, Yon3, ..., Yon16, Hither2, Yon17 Yon18 ....

So this means that to reconstruct the phrase you want to start with Hither at 0 (using the PH hex numbering now). Then you increment yon from 0 to F. When it hits F, you want hither to increment to position 1. Then you go through 0 to F on yon again. Then hither increments to position2. And so on until you've scanned through all the waves.

The reason it's pretty noisey is that there's a lot of error. I have yon and hither being controlled by one LFO each, with the hither LFO reset synced to the yon LFO. But they aren't in a perfect phase relationship, so you get artifacts. To really pull this off you need not only a (linear) ramp for yon, but a series of stepped voltage levels for hither that trigger on each cycle completion of the yon ramp. I plan to use maths EOR to advance through a b+pp+a-151 step sequencer. This will only allow me to increment 12 positions on hither, but it's all I have in the way of sequencing right now so it'll have to do.

Note also that you could use the cv-able ROM A/B toggle to seamlessly bridge into a second EEPROM, thus doubling the potential length of sample playback.

I hope that all made sense, it's really simple in practice but surprisingly difficult to explain Dead Banana

Oh and global blast is just a stupid inside joke. A professor of mine invented the phrase to describe a network topology, and we all just kind of latched onto it as a beacon of awesomeness.
ignatius
excellent. nice sounds. and looks fun
jbartee
I guess I'm just easily amused, but I'm still having lots of fun with this one sample. I got my A-151 in today so combined with PP+B I now have a serviceable step sequencer. This allows for much better results. No video but some hilarious audio:

http://snd.sc/fIraUT
phase ghost
Holy crap, that's wicked!
l e b e r
genius. give yourself a pat on the back. add one from me too.
ersatzplanet
Poor mans granular synthesis. Very cool. Wonder if the addac101 .wav player can do theses kinds of things?

-James
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1