MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2 panel serge as aircraft carryon?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author 2 panel serge as aircraft carryon?
richard
2 panels is a fuck of a lot in serge terms... enough for a good gigging instrument I think. But Rex's M-case is a bit too big for european hand baggage - there must be a way of casing 2 panels... has anyone solved this little puzzle? I haven't seen anything on the web...
cebec
There is a way. Have you seen this? It's Thomas Ankersmit's Serge rig:

Not sure what he's using but he discussed it a bit on the SMOG Yahoo Group and there might be some more info. in the archives there.
richard
hang on, I think I know that guy?

he's a Berliner no? But I thought he had a huge Cwejman system?

I'll check it out, thanks!
richard
and if a four panel carry-on is possible my life is in danger of blissful completeness!
cebec
He's Dutch but I think he has been based in Berlin...

That shot's from a couple of years ago so maybe he's switched to Cwejman. Prior to the Serge, he was using a Synthi AKS.
rastko
I have a four panel carry on and I am happy :-).

It is an SKB case but to shallow so as you may notice the panels are "moved" so they fit exactly .

This combination is like 14 kg heavy so over the limit for carry on but if you need only 2 in this you can fit everything you need.
I have never ever have the weight of the carry on inspected at the airport :-).

The size of it is less then the carry on limit and I have never ever had the weight examined when boarding a flight.

There are million of combination for cases , the thing you have to be sure is how heavy the case is.

This 12 kg is ok for plane rides but I can not take it everyday somewhere to play or on a long train trip with 4 changes.

This SKB case alone is like 4-5 kg heavy , the wooden ones are like 8-12 kg.

Now I am considering making 1 or 2 panels removable and then making a smaller case .
1 or 2 panel is a lot of power a lot.

So yes it is possible to make an 2 panel case.
cebec
Nice, rastko! thumbs up
MechaSeb
richard wrote:
But Rex's M-case is a bit too big for european hand baggage

Doesn't it depend on the airline company ?
I choose the M-case for this reason precisely. But i wonder if the rigidity of the M-case would support a lot of travel. I don't think so but i may wrong...

Anyway the two Thomas Ankersmit's Serge rig seems to be great too. thumbs up
richard
can you tell me which SKB case that is Rastko? It looks like a great solution?
Bricks
Quote:

Is a really cool shot!!
rastko
richard wrote:
can you tell me which SKB case that is Rastko? It looks like a great solution?

this is the case

SKB Rastkos Case

and this is the name :

SKB Equipment Case, 20 3/8 X 14 X 7

I gott mine from Amazon US and then a friend brought it . At that time does cases were new and hard to find in Europe , dont know now.

As I told you i is a bit tricky to fit 4 panels in but 2 is simple.

The frame is aluminium so I just screwed (through it) in 2 pieces of wood to hold the panels. I shall do it nice and probably with rails but for now this is good .
I had a wooden case before and this one is 5 kg lighter, you can not imagine what 5 kg is running from gate z45 to a34 uff.

You would have an ergonomic (is that the word ?) problem with 2 serge panels as you would have an empty half always and you want to have a case wich you would use both home and on the road...

If you have it in the bottom (the 2 panels) that is ok but you have to think how much you would use it like that . I have no problem with the bottom position as I stand when I patch and my table is high,I made it for this.
If you putt the panels in the top the case will tilt . Mine tilts easy and I always borrow a clamp to clamp it to a table. It is amazing how many people have clamps to borrow , seriously.

And at the end I can actually recommend something better as a case , maybe.

UK Case

These guys can do you a custom ABS case (I think the quality would be that same as mine SKB) for a super price and if you write them an email and ask for it they can make the top removable (think its like 10 punds more) so then you can just put the panels one side.

I found a perfect size for the Serge panels there and the depth you can order customized.

Then when you play you have just the side with the panels, either on a gyt stand or on the table.

This company even puts this "telescopic handle and wheels".

The reason why I did not gett this is that the case was like 100 punds and the shipping form great britain to switzerland was like 150 punds . jesus its like Im on mars.

Anyway Im to tired to look where you are from but this gives you some ideas and maybe locally you can find an custom ABS case manufacturer .

I hope this helped you a bit and sorry if I am confusing as I am not an English native speaker and I am a very tired not english native speaker.

I wish you all a good night

rastko
dkcg
I misread the title as 2 panel serge as aircraft carrier? d'oh! lol
tmeade
While it isn't Europe, I recently flew from San Francisco to New Zealand and was permitted to carry 2 of my M-Cases right on the plane. The woman at check-in said that normally, they would not allow 2 cases but it was a pretty empty flight and the seats next to me were vacant.

So, no, it isn't something I should count on but these so-called airplane 'restrictions' are pretty flimsy.

I did catch quite a few looks from other people in the airport tho. The cases draw a lot of attention!!!
Seracs
Curious matter, results probably vary depending on how paranoid your local airport and destination are.
richard
dkcg wrote:
I misread the title as 2 panel serge as aircraft carrier? d'oh! lol

hihi
weerzin
cebec wrote:
There is a way. Have you seen this? It's Thomas Ankersmit's Serge rig:

Not sure what he's using but he discussed it a bit on the SMOG Yahoo Group and there might be some more info. in the archives there.

Yeah, that's me. This has been my main touring setup since 2006 or 2007, and I've always managed to bring it on board as carry on, in addition to a laptop bag. Probably around 100 flights at this point. Well, not entirely true: on small propellor planes they make everyone "gate check" their bigger carry on bags, and my Serge as well. But that means you literally hand it to them right before stepping onto the plane, so I'm fine with that.

The case was made by a company in Berlin who make custom flightcases, Borkowsky Cases. Not expensive either, around 150 euro I think?

I don't have the exact measurements here with me at the moment, but I could check in a few days. Unfortunately, it is slightly larger than the IATA standards (there was just no way around that with four panels), and those annoying measuring boxes at the airports, so sometimes it took some convincing. But so far so good.
cebec
Hi Thomas -- Welcome! And thanks for the information!
richard
Hi Thomas

I think I met you at STEIM... I would love to know your technique for talking around european airlines to let you travel with an oversized case and a laptop bag smile

would love to know exact dimensions too as a Berlin solution would be terrific for me
weerzin
richard wrote:
Hi Thomas

I think I met you at STEIM... I would love to know your technique for talking around european airlines to let you travel with an oversized case and a laptop bag smile

would love to know exact dimensions too as a Berlin solution would be terrific for me

Hm, maybe. Although not knowing your name or what you look like it's hard to say wink

Here's a few quick tips.. strong eye contact with the person behind the checkin desk, be friendly to them, and quickly push your Serge towards the desk so that the person simply doesn't see it. Usually, once you're past the security check, they won't bother asking you to check it in anymore.

Most important though, aside from keeping your cool and not getting angry if they do complain, is the fact that it really does fit both overhead as well as under the seats, and that it really is a very valuable and very sensitive musical instrument. So far, simply explaining that has been enough in case anyone did tell me it was too large initially. I found the phrase "it's like a Stradivarius" worked well on a recent tour..

Dimensions of my Serge case: 23x53x40 cm (9x21x16 inches)

Like I said, I'd recommend Borkowsky cases. They're both affordable and precise with custom flightcases, and you can pick the materials yourself.
DedMousie
weerzin wrote:
This has been my main touring setup since 2006 or 2007, and I've always managed to bring it on board as carry on

Where's the power supply? Do you pack that separate?

...and for you Buchla guys - a 4 module boat plus rack ears is exactly the same size as a Serge panel with ears, yes? So, with a similar case, in theory if you can work out the power supplies, you *could* put 3 Serge panels plus a 225e, 250e, and something else, like a Module Module in there, yes?
weerzin
DedMousie wrote:
weerzin wrote:
This has been my main touring setup since 2006 or 2007, and I've always managed to bring it on board as carry on

Where's the power supply? Do you pack that separate?

...and for you Buchla guys - a 4 module boat plus rack ears is exactly the same size as a Serge panel with ears, yes? So, with a similar case, in theory if you can work out the power supplies, you *could* put 3 Serge panels plus a 225e, 250e, and something else, like a Module Module in there, yes?

Yes, a PS4 and a big bag of patch cables (except for a few custom ones) go in a regular checked-in suitcase.

I realize this isn't what you're suggesting, but one of the reasons I never seriously considered a Buchla is because it seemed to me you could never put together a comparably powerful system (to a four-panel Serge) and take it on board an aircraft..
fowl
rastko wrote:

And at the end I can actually recommend something better as a case , maybe.

UK Case

These guys can do you a custom ABS case (I think the quality would be that same as mine SKB) for a super price and if you write them an email and ask for it they can make the top removable (think its like 10 punds more) so then you can just put the panels one side.

I found a perfect size for the Serge panels there and the depth you can order customized.

rastko

Hi
sorry to bring this up again but Im dithering between 3 possible cases for 2 panel serge.
1) The Potterton ABS - P20 as above
2) The Gator G-Mix 8u
3) Thom rack Case 8u

I have a custom Hallburton but that does not fit 2 panels - I liked Thomas's idea of having the Serge's on two guitar stands - which would render the pop up mixer style surplus.. the question is if the ABS case would work better than the Thom Rack/Gator - Im not sure how you would mount the Serge in The ABS one - guess Id need to discuss that with the firm - you would want it screwed to the sides... Thom Rack is slimmer than gator so probably fit better on a stand- both standard rackmount.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice - been down this route before?
cheers
richard
i have a couple of the pottertons but I haven't plucked up the courage to make a frame and drill some holes to mount the pabnels yet

they only just fit on easyjet actually. The way they are made makes them a fraction too big - might need to gentle take a hammer to the metal part to encourage it to be a bit smaller
Tobor
rastko wrote:
I have a four panel carry on and I am happy :-).

very nice setup. thumbs up
goiks
rastko - i'm curious, have you had any trouble carrying that on? most airlines requirements are 9"x14"x22", seems like you may be a little over on the 14" dimension.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3