CV -> midi converters.... OH THATS NOT A MISTAKE!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

CV -> midi converters.... OH THATS NOT A MISTAKE!

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 am

so I've been looking at cv->midi converters and Ive only been able to find 2

doepfers A192 (cheap) and analog systems RS300 (not cheap at all).

does anyone here have experience with any of these? Or any others that im not aware of?

doepfer looks awesome as hell, buts it only takes in 0 to 5 volts, so putting in audio would not work to well im thinking. Also, an inherent slew rate might make it impossible. Manual isnt very helpful

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:31 am

The RS-300 is awesome. It has a major feature the Doepfer lacks which is triggering capability. You can play both pitch and gate to midi synths. Not only that, a free run mode, which plays new pitchs as soon as a higher or lower voltage increment is read. If you put in an LFO, you'll get trills of notes. Fast LFO's can make midi synths make sounds you never heard. Also, it saves patches and I have presets saved for various midi CC's I want to use for different synths. The Doepfer would be good for simple CV to CC use and no note triggering. Doepfer is working on a new version I belive this year that will do triggering as well.

Dan

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 am

The A192 is OK, but is pretty basic. To really utilize it you either have to be a midi master of CCs and such, and there is no gate/pitch etc. a positive signal goes in, a number comes out. I've been using the 192 with a A-129-3 to get any AC signals into the positive and in the range (values outside the range are clipped). If I wasn't planning on making some Max patches, I would get rid of the 192. With Max, I should be able to make some pseudo gates/triggers/pitch CVs, but still, that's a bunch of programming and bug squashing that will need to be done. But it's a decent bang for the buck if you don't mind learning Max or just want to get some slower modulations into the comuter, but since it is integers, you would need some sort of smoothing on the computer side, like a line~ object in Max.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:42 am

I would like to play around with taking some CV from a sample/hold or something and converting it to MIDI and then running that MIDI back into my MOTO-650 MIDI-> CV converter and using that voltage to modulate the source of the CV that is getting converted to MIDI! Why bother with the convertions at all? Because I could turn on one or two of the arps in the MOTM-650! :hyper:

eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:22 am

ya know, I wonder if that new MOTU software that allows you to use their interfaces as cv in/out for your modular would also spit out midi :hyper:

that would make a pretty cool cv-> midi converter.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 am

A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:ya know, I wonder if that new MOTU software that allows you to use their interfaces as cv in/out for your modular would also spit out midi :hyper:

that would make a pretty cool cv-> midi converter.
I'd be a little nervous about putting almost +/-10 volts into my 828.

eat the kids first

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:26 am

I myself would not be nervous about putting +10 volts into YOUR 828

criticalmonkey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by criticalmonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 pm

motu 896 will only record +7 volt and it is not exactly what you put in

issues with level matching -

criticalmonkey
Ultra Wiggler

Post by criticalmonkey » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:08 pm

i should have said upto +7 volt

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 am

Another option for basic CV/Gate conversion would be a Novation Bass Station rack. These will convert CV and Gate to midi note information (but not midi clock or CCs, etc. etc.).

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:40 am

Xpander! 6 tracks of cv to midi, which can work totally independently of the sound control on the xpander. In other words, you can control the xpander with midi, and use it simultaneously as a cv to midi converter.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”