MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

recomended reading ??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author recomended reading ??
tony d
Just got a copy of allen strange's "electronic music systems,techniques ,and controls"

I found this to be very informative and inspirational, but on a very fundamental level.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books(i prefer not to read from a monitor) dealing with maybe a little more advanced techniques ?

thanks, tony
Cat-A-Tonic
Where did you find the Allen Strange book?
I'd like to get a copy too.
tony d
i found it online from some lady that sells mostly pottery and crafts books. somehow it slipped in her collection and she sold it to me for $4.00

like i said it is a very informative book but i would definitely have been upset if i had paid some of the obscene prices i have seen it go for.

give me a little time and i may be willing to pass it on if your still interested.

also, i believe you can download a pdf from mcgraw-hill for $12.00
flippantminister
indeed you can download it- it is $15.29. i have been meaning to but never did... perhaps i will soon.

https://ebooks.primisonline.com/cgi/showebook.cgi?isbn=0390684635&book Type=unselected&fulleBook=true

i also found a pdf of allen strange's guide to the music easel - "programming and meta-programming the electro organism"
i found it for free on some site, don't remember where. i could post it if anyone is interested.
Chuck E. Jesus
that book is said to be the best, i may have to think about getting the d/l...thanks for the link thumbs up
Muff Wiggler
flippantminister wrote:
i also found a pdf of allen strange's guide to the music easel - "programming and meta-programming the electro organism"
i found it for free on some site, don't remember where. i could post it if anyone is interested.

i posted it for y'all already

www.muffwiggler.com/easel.pdf

I'm happy and comfortable doing this, as the first page states "Permission hereby granted to duplicate and distribute by any and all means". I think that is pretty damn awesome. Thanks Don & Allen!

Get this - it was originally published on the same day that I was born eek!
parasitk
Awesome, thank you!
felix
Muff Wiggler wrote:
w00t
NV
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Where did you find the Allen Strange book?
I'd like to get a copy too.

You can sometimes find them on Amazon for fair used prices. Before Christmas there were a few used copies going for around $20-$30, but it seems they were snatched up. It's worth checking every once in awhile, a lot of used book sellers throw old books up on Amazon rather frequently. Otherwise you can just comb google and you'll probably find one used eventually if you aren't interested in the PDF file and aren't desperate enough to pay $400 for it from some decrepit book swindler.
Kent
Muff Wiggler wrote:

I didn't realize that the Music Easel warranted some Heritage Foundation Protection Status.
Babaluma
i don't find it lacking in advanced techniques at all. it actively encourages you to mix and match the various "basic" patches to form more complex ones. it gives you the basic building blocks plus a lot more besides, imho. i think the idea is that once you've got it all down pat, you won't need a book to teach you the more advanced techniques. 8)

i've never found another text dealing with analogue modular synthesis in as much detail in my sixteen years of interest in the subject. the closest thing that springs to mind would be the soun on sound synth secrets series (and why that has never been turned into a book i'll never know).

this does all apply to the second edition though, i've never seen the first.
tony d
Thanks for the input babaluma.

I agree and that was i guess what i was wondering. outside of dsp and digital techniques if there were books dealing with say deeper approaches to your basics ie. subtractive,additive,fm,am etc.

Didn't mean to come off as saying the book wasn't anything less then a wealth of knowledge dealing w/ analogue synthesis.

I got very inspired to try new things out after reading allen's book and use modules in ways other than ways i have used them in the past, which i guess is why i was inquiring to see if there were more books out there.

And i have read through the sos synth secrets and found that to be extremely usefull also.

I just enjoy reading literature dealing w/ synthesis and thought i would ask if anyone here had books that they found to be inspiring when learning analogue synthesis.
rezzn8r
the sound on sound articles mentioned by babaluma are worth checking out if you haven't read them. if you don't like reading on a computer screen, try a local library with a good periodicals section. they should have all the back issues.
attacksustain
For those curious what is in the Electronic Music book, I took some photos of the contents pages recently - http://www.flickr.com/photos/kernelslacker/sets/72157611863746029/

Well worth the read. I was lucky enough to snag a copy at ~$40 before xmas on Amazon, which is the cheapest I had seen it on there in a while.
Kwote
reading will jumpstart you if you're new and or not the most creative thinking.

i think for DIY it's absolutely essential though.

i know sooner or later i'll have to breakdown and get some reading material if i ever want to create my own modules from scratch.
Babaluma
that's cool tony d, sorry if my original post came across as reactionary wink it's just that i LOVE that book!

w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1