MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Roland MPU-101?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Roland MPU-101?
dkcg
Anyone have and use one of these with their modular?
Do you like it? Do you love it?
Is $500 a reasonable price for one?
How does it deal with polyphony?
Any problems to be aware of?
Does it send out a clock?
ATOM
I have a MPU-101 that I use with my modular.
I'm very happy with it.
No clock out, but I often use one of the channels as a programmable clock track. Just program a stream of short 16" note pattern or any other pattern in the midisequencer.

MPU-101 Specs: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/davies/intrlmpu.html

ATOM
Chuck E. Jesus
i have one, works great-no menus! i've never used mine for poly, but there are a couple different modes for voice assignment...not sure how comparative units are priced, but 500 bucks seems a little steep, i paid 250 for mine about 20 years ago, before the "vintage" craze...

i would be very upset if mine died...
chinard
I <3 my mpu-101 SlayerBadger!
never used it in poly mode but in 4x mono mode it is a beast!
Clock out is actually pretty easy if all you are looking for is a pulse clock. In which case sending 16th notes to any of the 4 gate outs will work just fine. If you are looking for a roland din-sync or DCB style then you are out of luck.

One minor gripe that i have had with it is that it seems to run only in single trigger mode. Doesnt appear to have any multi trigger unless i am missing something.
Rych
I've had mine for just over 2 years now. $500 does seem way too steep for it. (My cost was trading away a full software registration that I'd purchased a few years previously. Wonderful trade, I thought. smile )

As for clocks, I do the same as mentioned above. It works fine, sending it a 1/96th note pulse from my Alesis MMT-8 sequencer.

I also have the MCV-876 ( http://m.bareille.free.fr/mcv876/mcv876.html ) from Papareil Labs, to build. 4 channels again. At $75, that was a GREAT price I think - seeing all of the other commercial options and their costs.
dkcg
How does it decide which voice goes to which channel? I thought maybe you could assign a different channel for each voice, but it doesn't look that way. I'm stumped on how something like a differently voiced major 7th chord would get put out the channels. Is it just order from lowest to highest? note on priority? What if two or more notes are exactly at the same time?

I'm not sure what you mean by single and multi trigger. help
Rych
If I recall correctly - the MPU-101 sends the input notes out to the channels in order that they've arrived at the unit. If the notes are arriving at the exact same time, then it would cycle through it's channels, if it's been set to play in polyphonic mode. (2 or 4 voice).

As to multi-triggering: when a note is played and held and then a 2nd note played at the same time, the unit does not send out a new trigger. I tried this yesterday from my MIDI keyboard. (I was hitting a HIGHER 2nd note, for sure, with the MPU-101 NOT sending a new trigger.) I THINK that I had tried a lower note as well, but I don't recall for sure.

Actually - on that note - I'll go to the URL mentioned above to read the specs on the unit, as I didn't get a manual with mine.
dkcg
Rych wrote:
If I recall correctly - the MPU-101 sends the input notes out to the channels in order that they've arrived at the unit. If the notes are arriving at the exact same time, then it would cycle through it's channels, if it's been set to play in polyphonic mode. (2 or 4 voice).

As to multi-triggering: when a note is played and held and then a 2nd note played at the same time, the unit does not send out a new trigger. I tried this yesterday from my MIDI keyboard. (I was hitting a HIGHER 2nd note, for sure, with the MPU-101 NOT sending a new trigger.) I THINK that I had tried a lower note as well, but I don't recall for sure.

Actually - on that note - I'll go to the URL mentioned above to read the specs on the unit, as I didn't get a manual with mine.

So it can be a little unpredictable? If I understand correctly, say I have a 3 note chord pad, and a completely different sounding lead line. If I understand correctly, that lead line has to stick to some timing, or always be the highest note? So it can't really stray below the pad tritone voice? I was hoping one of these could get rid of my Kenton PRoSolo, but it seems like I would ideally want both for polyphony with a predictable lead line. Am I correct here?
Rych
dkcg wrote:

So it can be a little unpredictable? If I understand correctly, say I have a 3 note chord pad, and a completely different sounding lead line. If I understand correctly, that lead line has to stick to some timing, or always be the highest note? So it can't really stray below the pad tritone voice? I was hoping one of these could get rid of my Kenton PRoSolo, but it seems like I would ideally want both for polyphony with a predictable lead line. Am I correct here?

Actually - that is now, a good question. I went and read the description of the unit at the URL above. I'll have to do some testing with my unit to SEE exactly how it can work with the switchable functions that ARE available on it. There's a fair bit more variance than I'd remembered.

Also here though - I never do use it polyphonically, as I don't have a large enough system yet, for that purpose. (Can do 2 sets of 2 voice, only, as I have 2 each of 2 different filter types - soon to have 2 of a 3rd type, completed.)
chinard
IIRC you can still download the manual from roland:
http://backstage.rolandus.com (you have to register but it is free)

as far as which voice goes to which channel in mono mode, its pretty easy if you look at the front pannel.

you can see output rows 1 - 4. if you set your base midi channel to 1 then it will be 1, 2, 3, 4 for your outputs. If you were to set your base midi channel to 7 then it would be 7, 8, 9, 10 for your outputs
the outputs for 'bender', 'modulation', 'aftertouch', and 'volume' only apply to the first output (or channel)

poly mode is pretty simple as well, its basically is using an ASR to round robin each note as it is pressed to the 4 outputs. The exact distribution method is controlled with the 'assign mode' switch.

Another thing that is kinda neat, if you connect two of these together in serial via midi you can actually get 8 voices of polyphony out of it.
there is also inverted gate logic available as well as a 'trigger mode' that looks kinda like a clock divider. havent played with it tho (details in manual)
dkcg
chinard wrote:

you can see output rows 1 - 4. if you set your base midi channel to 1 then it will be 1, 2, 3, 4 for your outputs. If you were to set your base midi channel to 7 then it would be 7, 8, 9, 10 for your outputs
the outputs for 'bender', 'modulation', 'aftertouch', and 'volume' only apply to the first output (or channel)

Awesome. That's the answer I was hoping for. grin
dkcg
I picked it up tonight. Mmmmmmm, polyphony!

Works GREAT with my Mbase888. Can't wait to try it with the monome and some polyphonic patches!

Coolest thing so far is the midi sequences I have in my 888 sound so much different with voices playing different things as they catch and lose new notes in polyphony mode. 16 notes never sounded so diverse in my system! SlayerBadger! hyper
Kwote
dkcg wrote:

Works GREAT with my Mbase888. Can't wait to try it with the monome and some polyphonic patches!

Coolest thing so far is the midi sequences I have in my 888 sound so much different with voices playing different things as they catch and lose new notes in polyphony mode. 16 notes never sounded so diverse in my system! SlayerBadger! hyper

video?
dkcg
Kwote wrote:
dkcg wrote:

video?

Maybe this weekend, I want to get the monome running stretta's apps and getting everything midi synced together. Plus, patching 4 voices is 4 times the amount of thinking/working and 10 times the listening. hihi

Got these two tracks recorded, the MPU being used with my 888 sequencing.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2818
6nicewish
And it is also possible to connect two MPU101 in series (midi) and get 8 voice polyphony midi to CV.
sduck
Welcome 6nicewish! Nice little 6 year necrobump!
6nicewish
Many thanks!!! : )))
I thought that this topic is interesting and to this day.
analogjeff
The Mpu 101 is the best!!! I have used them for years.. rock solid and easy and intuitive to use..highly recommended..
Nils
6nicewish wrote:
Many thanks!!! : )))
I thought that this topic is interesting and to this day.

Certainly is. There are some alternatives on polyphonic MIDI/CV, but the 101 still seems like a good one (being menu-less, for one).
dkcg
6nicewish wrote:
And it is also possible to connect two MPU101 in series (midi) and get 8 voice polyphony midi to CV.

I only had one, but don't remember any settings or instructions for using 2 together. My guess is no, unless you can get it done in the DAW or some Max patch to do the splitting before the midi goes to two or more.

Nils wrote:
Certainly is. There are some alternatives on polyphonic MIDI/CV, but the 101 still seems like a good one (being menu-less, for one).

I don't remember having any issues, worked beautifully and simple to use. It made me wish I had 4 matching voices in the modular, but worked very well with Cwejman, Analogue Systems, TipTop, Livewire, and any oscillator that tracks well. If I had a 1v/oct system still, I don't think I would have sold it.
dougt
You just set the first MPU-101 to MIDI channels 1-4 and the second to 5-8.

By the way I have an extra MPU-101 I could sell if someone is looking for one.
Chrutil
Just out of curiosity - what do you get out of the 'bender' output?
Is it -2.5v - +2.5v?, or 0-5v? or -5v - +5v? or pitch CV with bend applied?

Thanks!
C
wes2600
The bender output is +/- 1v. The bender is not output with the CV.
Nils
Just picked one up, planning to run it like a "Roland Four Voice" with some SH synths.
minime123
we use these and kenton pro-2000s in our studio. the mpu101s work great with 1 volt per octave synths. the kentons have additional features and work with hz/volt synths.
mini
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2