MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

What Synth Is That?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author What Synth Is That?
Roycie Roller
I was thinking it might be fun to post files of synths & try to guess what they are, or at least give some of us a chance to hear classic synths in isolation.

No prizes unfortunately eek!

The only requisites are that no external processing be used in the recording (excluding tape artifacts & some eq if used to record)- ideally just the direct output of the synth, & no overdubs (unless all from the same synth).

In this recording, tape hiss is audible-
darenager
Obie?
Roycie Roller
No cigar smokin'
darenager
Hmm, Akai?
Roycie Roller
darenager wrote:
Hmm, Akai?

Getting closer... (from the same country)

But i'm not sure if any of the Akais have *cough* BBD lines
Roycie Roller
....this one was a Roland paraphonic RS-505
ziopad
Love the concept of this thread. Have you got another sample for us to guess at?
Roycie Roller
ziopad wrote:
Love the concept of this thread. Have you got another sample for us to guess at?

secretly i was hoping to hear from others samples of synths i can only dream of, living where i do..

i'm sure there are many interesting ones among us (can't all be modular right? Or maybe i should be at vintage synth forum or analogue HEAVEN lol ).

but, i have a few more lying around to record- will try tonight
Heathfinnie
Here's one.

Mystery Synth
Roycie Roller
Heathfinnie wrote:
Here's one.

Mystery Synth

Wow, beautiful sound & beautifully played.

It sounds like there's a wavetable VCO there, and knowing you have one, i'm guessing DX-1?
Roycie Roller
This one was recorded direct from the output to my laptop's line in-
ziopad
I love both of the foregoing samples. Have absolutely no idea what either is, but I'm definitely looking forward to learning the secret behind the mystery...
cluster
Roycie Roller wrote:
This one was recorded direct from the output to my laptop's line in-

just a stab... OB12? i'm guessing im probably way off!
Roycie Roller
ziopad wrote:
I love both of the foregoing samples. Have absolutely no idea what either is, but I'm definitely looking forward to learning the secret behind the mystery...

Cheers!

cluster wrote:
just a stab... OB12? i'm guessing im probably way off!

Akai AX-80 love

stay tuned...
Heathfinnie
Roycie Roller wrote:
Heathfinnie wrote:
Here's one.

Mystery Synth

It sounds like there's a wavetable VCO there, and knowing you have one, i'm guessing DX-1?

It's actually a Rhodes Chroma smile
Oldstench
Heathfinnie wrote:

Holy crap! Were did you score that from?
Roycie Roller
Heathfinnie wrote:
Roycie Roller wrote:
Heathfinnie wrote:
Here's one.

Mystery Synth

It sounds like such a beautiful synth, possibly my favourite of all.
I love this video-

cluster
holy shit that Enabler stuff is ridiculous
Curtischip
Cool thread! yeah its a Chroma!
god dam! I love that synth, with CC upgrade and controller I think it to be one of the best Vintage poly's and easy rivals the CS80.
when in unison mode, 16 VCO's stacked is enough to kill tiny children at close distance.
paid 500£ for mine thumbs up
Heathfinnie
Oldstench wrote:
Heathfinnie wrote:

Holy crap! Were did you score that from?

I actually don't have it any longer. I have LOTS of clips of synths I don't own anymore. It was a great sounding synth though!
ziopad
wow, that enabler is a work of art! love it. i keep lusting after the chroma polaris, but maybe what i really hanker for is a chroma. seriously, i just don't get it as steve martin said, it's not a problem when your hobbies get in the way of work; it's when they get in the way of each other...

wouldn't have guessed anywhere near on the ax-80. kind of makes me regret passing one up last year, though the money i would have spent on it went to worthy-enough causes.

my cousin, syzygywell, dropboxed me a bunch of files the other day (found out later they were from a GS thread) that were pretty interesting to listen to. not sure what the policy is here about posting links to threads on other forums, but it was basically a "comparison of 5 moog-like analogs" with a handful of passes for each:

SQR1VCO.......unfiltered single vco square
SQR1VCO+FILT..same as above, 24dB filter tweaking, resonance zero
SQR1VCO+RESO..same as above, but with medium high resonance
SAW1VCO-BASS..single vco saw, bass line. attacks zero, typical expo decay
OCTAVES.......vco1 saw, vco2 semi-narrow pulse octave higher, expo filter decay
SELFOSC.......same as above, but resonance to the max, slow attack and decay
8VE-FIZZ......same as above, reso 85%, medium attack and decay

very interesting to get a blind listen like that. after listening to the samples of each synth, i found myself partial to choices a and c without knowing what they were. but b wasn't far behind. i'd be curious to know what some of the learned gear-heads here reckon...
bryantcheramie
Where did it go?
ziopad
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic -music-production/561499-comparison-5-moog-like-analogs-one-you-like-b est-results.html

if it's not kosher to post a link like this, i'd be happy to dropbox the samples to anyone interested.
CursedFrogurt
Holy crap, I am so in love with that demo of the AX-80 it's not even funny. I don't know anything about the old keyboard synths; I've never tickled the ivories, and dove right into modular once I got into synths. I might have to track one down. Shit, now I'm gonna be researching all of more affordable polysynths. I loved the warbly 1980's television spot sorta sounds it was making, does it always do that? grin
Roycie Roller
CursedFrogurt wrote:
Holy crap, I am so in love with that demo of the AX-80 it's not even funny. I don't know anything about the old keyboard synths; I've never tickled the ivories, and dove right into modular once I got into synths. I might have to track one down. Shit, now I'm gonna be researching all of more affordable polysynths. I loved the warbly 1980's television spot sorta sounds it was making, does it always do that? grin

thankyou.

the best way to imagine it, is a synth with what was for the time a real futuristic display, but the sounds are really raw. Any of those sounds are easy to dial up, if that's what you're after. I love it!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2