MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rackmount Tom Oberheim SEM ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Rackmount Tom Oberheim SEM ?
artvader
Curious if anyone has figured out a smart way to mount their patchable new SEMs in rack or cabinet?
I guess it would be 5U high, so a MU or MOTM sized frame could be a solution.

Jon
boothnavy
I was just thinking abut that today!

Its the only thing i have left with 1/8" jacks... i'd love to build it into a 5U panel with 1/4" jacks...
krv
something like this

but with new sem.....would be much appreciated!
krv
...or like this?

two voice with sequencer in a small rack??? thumbs up
synthetic
That is dead sexy.
boothnavy
is there a boner emoticon?

:boner:
suitandtieguy
as soon as he starts shipping the panel-only SEM i'm going to make a moog-format panel for it, maybe with some infrastructure included.
analogsteve
Double post. Oops.
analogsteve
suitandtieguy wrote:
as soon as he starts shipping the panel-only SEM i'm going to make a moog-format panel for it, maybe with some infrastructure included.

Fuck yes. I have been dreaming of this... It appears the panel only version is available now. From tomoberheim.com:

"The basic SEM module with no case, power supply or supplemental module is available specifically for drop-in replacement for an original SEM in older Oberheim polyphonic systems. The U. S. price is $599. (special order) "

They're special order only as I assume the demand is not high enough to bother selling through audiomidi.com.
suitandtieguy
Wow. I need to email him and check on that.
ersatzplanet
I have some custom metalwork I made for racking up some SEMs I had. I had to make more pieces than I needed as a minimum order and I think I have 3 left. They are 5U high rack mount boxes with blank front and rear panels (one extra of each). The metal is cold rolled galvaneal steel - it won't rust and will paint easily. The design is like the Obie-3 plans on this page:
http://web.me.com/ersatzplanet/ErsatzPlanet/Pages/obie.html
I have sold off my SEMs and don't need these any more. I would love to sell them to anyone who wants them. Just give me a email.
There are more designs on that page that are free to be used by any non-commercial users. Also for any owners of the older SEMs my Oberheim SEM database of schematics can be found here:
http://web.me.com/ersatzplanet/ErsatzPlanet/Pages/ObiePages.html

-James
krv
suitandtieguy wrote:

please please please
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
ersatzplanet
I found the SEM cabinets I had left over. I only have 2 of them. They are standard 5U rack mount cabinets in 8 pieces. There are extra front and rear panels. Here are pictures of them assembled and as parts. They can hold only one SEM each. Racking 2 older style SEMs next to each other is very problematic for a standard 19" enclosure. The width of the SEMs is wider than the standard internal rail-to-rail specs for a standard 19" rack and the only real way to do it is to modify the front panel or not have any rear chassis. Anyway here they are:

All the parts fit in one of those USPS priority mail boxes so easy to mail anywhere in the USA. $50 each plus postage.
-James
suitandtieguy
Those boxes look pretty serious. Are those PEM nuts!?!

I'll start working on that panel layout. When I have something I'll start a new thread so as not to continue threadjacking here.
M6live
Redacted.
ersatzplanet
suitandtieguy wrote:
Those boxes look pretty serious. Are those PEM nuts!?!.

Yes they are. I used to do all the metalwork design for Symetrix - about 60 different boxes. Always used Pem nuts and standoffs. The only way to almost guarantee not to strip things when put together tightly. I made the design using as many mirrored parts as I could to get the parts count to the minimum the metal shop wanted (which I think was 10 pieces of each part).

I also designed a panel only version - Big SEM sized hole and a jackfield. That design is on the site I linked before.
-James
dougt
ersatzplanet wrote:
Racking 2 older style SEMs next to each other is very problematic for a standard 19" enclosure.

Studio Electronics did it -

ersatzplanet
dougt wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
Racking 2 older style SEMs next to each other is very problematic for a standard 19" enclosure.

Studio Electronics did it -

I am sure they modified the SEMs in some way. The standard old SEMs were 9" wide so 2 of them next to each other are 18" wide leaving only 1" for the ears (1/2" on each side. The guidelines for standard rack enclosures (EIA standard RS-310-C) allows only 17.5" between the inside of the rails you screw onto so with standard SEMs they will not fit. Studio Electronics must have modified the front panels. If you then add the chassis behind, the un-modified SEMs will not fit for sure in most compliant racks. I don't have a SEM here but IIRC the PCBs behind the panels would be narrow enough to do it but not with the original SEM.
I am sure SEM owners reading this thread can chime in with all the dimensions.

-James
ersatzplanet
If you compare this picture of the new SEM which is sized the same as the older one, you will see that the space from the edge of the graphics and the mounting holes is quite a bit larger than the same space on the SE dual SEM panel. SE has hacked the panels down.

Which does bring up the question - Why didn't Tom take this opportunity to change the metalwork so racking two would be easier? I imagine the legacy users would be fine with a blank panel filling the gap but I would guess that most of the new users will be buying the SEMs in cabinets as offered. He could sell one version as a narrower unit for a custom fee.
-James
krv
that's weird, rackmountable/patchable sem has been a dream for many of us....

do you remember this?

too bad is not animore in production
artvader
As my SEM is the new patchable version with 1/8" jacks, I was initially interested in a frame for mounting it, with the patch panel, into a rack.
The patch panel seems to make it unsuitable for Ersatzplanets cases.

@ersatzplanet: if my assumption is wrong, please let me know.

@krv: awesome pics of SEMS in rack. That seems like a perfect solution.

Soundwise though, I feel the SEM belongs in my MU cabinets, rather than in mu Euro racks, so the Suit&Tie idea of a MU panel is equally appealing.
That probably means I have to get the panel only version, but it seems to be nicely priced, so I am all ready. Not much wrong with adding another voice of SEM goodness to the zoo.

jon
ersatzplanet
artvader wrote:
As my SEM is the new patchable version with 1/8" jacks, I was initially interested in a frame for mounting it, with the patch panel, into a rack.
The patch panel seems to make it unsuitable for Ersatzplanets cases.

@ersatzplanet: if my assumption is wrong, please let me know.
jon

If you want to use the patch panel that comes with the new SEM you wont be able to use my chassis design without modifying it. Basically you would have to drill the new mounting holes for the smaller patch panel and also cut down the blank panel to fit the remaining space. Since you already own your new SEM you can't do the other option which is of course to buy the naked SEM without the patch panel and roll your own panel. The naked SEM is $300 less than the standard SEM so that gives you lots of cash to play with. That way you can make it with 1/4" or banana jacks if you wanted too.
-James
artvader
@ersatzplanet

Thanks for clarifying.
As I am totally incompetent in any DIY, both metal/woodwork and electronics, I will hang on to my 1/8" patchable SEM for now, and see how readymade the Suit&Tie MU solution will be for the panel only version.

jon
suitandtieguy
Can anyone tell me if the knobs in the new oberheim are d-shaft or setscrew?
ersatzplanet
suitandtieguy wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the knobs in the new oberheim are d-shaft or setscrew?

The older SEMs used a collet style knob like the Selco/Sifam ones. I would imagine they are using the same. I have seen no set screws in the pictures and the knobs seem to have knob caps like the collet knobs do. Not a cheap knob but easily the most sturdy design. Selco/Sifam make a series very close to that style with a master knob and a big skirt and pointer piece that snap on the bottom. One knob "body" is used for all the knobs on the SEM and the extra parts are snapped in to make the different styles.
-James
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3