MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MFB 19" 3U Rack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author MFB 19" 3U Rack
Gomonoa
Hi Guys,

im new to this forum. i was reading some weeks on this forum.
Im pretty new to the whole modular stuff, but im allready sold to it help
Actually i have one Doepfer G6 filled.
Im thinking of getting an MFB Rack, if you compare Doepfer/MFB they have almost same price based on HP/Price. But its easier for me to get an Rack for 150EUR than spending over 400 at one time.

My question is, does anyone have experiences with the rack from MFB, im asking because of the quality, especially PSU? Are they good?

best regards

edit: damnit, first post, and in wrong sub-forum d'oh!
e-grad
Gomonoa wrote:
But its easier for me to get an Rack for 150EUR than spending over 400 at one time.

If it's 150 for 1 row and 400 for 2 rows than it should be easier to get 2 rows for 300 than for 400 any time. wink

IIRC the MFB racks are quite shallow, don't know wether this will work for any Dopfer module.

Personally I prefer black racks since my DIY stuff has black face plates, too. However, Doepfer modules in a black rack might be colourwise a no go for some plp.
Gomonoa
well i have a 12U Rack in Black in which i allready have some other Gear, in which i would mount it. Also i have modules from MFB. I dont care much about the color differences.
So this is no big deal. Im just worring about the quality.
But actually im also looking for a Schroff rack, maybe this will be an option too. This might be cheaper as well though.
Case prices are killing me.
Kent
Hello Gomonoa,

You've found what is probably the most helpful (friendly, supportive, informative & diverse) & simultaneously the worst (bye-bye cash savings!) modular forum on the internet. Thanks for joining us. I, for one, would really like to see pictures of your black modular in the "Eurorack" forum. We have a thread there for pictures.

I have no input regarding the MFB stuff. I own only the FilterBox.

However, I've purchased a G6 suitcase and built a 9u Schroff case Big Al with the addition of the Analogue Systems (ASys) RS15 back panel. The current supplied by the RS 15 is high and it can accommodate both Doepfer and ASys Modules with ease; with a bias toward more ASys stuff.

Schroff racks often show up on ebay.de for not much money. There are MANY ways to source power supplies for racks. Dragonslair.ca , PowerOne, etc.
DGTom
I used the MFB Power Supply for my Euro rack. Just wanting to get my feet wet with modulars I wanted to start out small / slow.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1700&highlight=mfb

I used an Elby designs 84HP sub frame, drilled 4 holes, added a few bolts / nuts / washers & its done.

$250AUD for 80HP of empty space + CV / Gate / Clock + contoller outs. I'm happy.

Bear in mind that its only a 500ma power supply & you only get 7 connectors for modules & because of the way the MIDI connection is orientated its abit odd.

I'm happy with the quality of the PSU & MIDI -> CV conversion bearing in mind that I am only running 1 module from the PS at the moment & I have no experiance with MIDI / CV conversion with any other system.

I plan on buying some more MFB modules to fill this rack.
Gomonoa
Thanks! Ill send a pic when im at home. Actually i dont have a Eurorack in the Black 12U, this is what i want to do. My modules are at the moment in a Doepfer G6 case. I want to get 19" units to put them into the big black one for expanding, since i still have 8U free.
Im from Germany, i see you are from France, do you know a european company of which i can get good PSUs at reasonable prices?
I dont want to order only for a PSU from the US, since im not that much interested in the ASys stuff, there are alot modules which have a bigger priority ; )
Also i will check eBay from time to time. Actually eBay seems empty regarding this kind of stuff.
Gomonoa
DGTom wrote:
I used the MFB Power Supply for my Euro rack. Just wanting to get my feet wet with modulars I wanted to start out small / slow.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1700&highlight=mfb

I used an Elby designs 84HP sub frame, drilled 4 holes, added a few bolts / nuts / washers & its done.

$250AUD for 80HP of empty space + CV / Gate / Clock + contoller outs. I'm happy.

Bear in mind that its only a 500ma power supply & you only get 7 connectors for modules & because of the way the MIDI connection is orientated its abit odd.

I'm happy with the quality of the PSU & MIDI -> CV conversion bearing in mind that I am only running 1 module from the PS at the moment & I have no experiance with MIDI / CV conversion with any other system.

I plan on buying some more MFB modules to fill this rack.

Sounds and looks good 8)
Since i have a Doepfer A-190 the MFB Midi/CV device wouldnt be a priority, but would be a nice bonus!
I think im gonna look how much it will cost when i build a diy case, and then i decide.
Would be cool if i could get down to around 200EUR for a 6U case, this would be ok.
The prices of all these finished cases are really a pain in the ass.

I just got an offer for a rack from Schroff Germany. 6U shielded 190EUR eek! WTF ...
VanEck
Good thread!

I was wondering about the MFB rack myself... I currently have 2 MFB modules and plan on getting more... MFB modules are shallow, so putting them in an MFB rack should be like peas and carrots obviously. I was definitely wondering about the PSU though, and how modules from other brands would work in the MFB rack.
Gomonoa
VanEck wrote:
Good thread!

I was wondering about the MFB rack myself... I currently have 2 MFB modules and plan on getting more... MFB modules are shallow, so putting them in an MFB rack should be like peas and carrots obviously. I was definitely wondering about the PSU though, and how modules from other brands would work in the MFB rack.

i dont think there will be any problem with other eurorack modules. Actually i have 2 MFB modules too, and i suggest i get more, they have nice modules.

i posted some from the 12U rack and G6.
[url]
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34087#34087[/url]
11ish
can't find the MFB rack on their website... AH and Schneiders Büro apparently also don't sell them - anyone know who does?
Gomonoa
Thomann does sell them.
I was wondering today too, i looked also on the mfb site and i couldnt find it, but i could swear they had it on their site.
11ish
thanks! Found it. Yeah, I remember MFB having it on their site once, but when it disappeared I figured they dropped it. Hm... the price is not too bad actually.
Gomonoa
the price on any finished euroracks are too bad. this is why im thinking of building my own rack.
slowly but for sure it gets time to get a new rack, since i dont have much space left.
VanEck
Heres the link on Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/mfb_modul_gehaeusebausatz_3he.htm

I actually just got in my Doepfer A-132-3 from Thomann... it took a couple weeks to get here in US from the UK, but they definitely ship here it seems! And the euro to usd conversion was pretty sweet actually... even with the shipping it came out to being cheaper than what I see US places selling them for.

Might definitely grab one of these racks... especially since "the zero" isn't going to be out for at least 13 weeks.
Gomonoa
yea espacially the exchange rates between euro/US/UK are so nice.... take a look at dv247.com...
damint... they sell mixing desks which costs in germany 600eur for 300eur... amazing.. unfortunatly the UK doenst have a so big market on that things, so they dont have modules for exmaple, or i just dont know a shop.
sandyb
VanEck wrote:
Heres the link on Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/gb/mfb_modul_gehaeusebausatz_3he.htm

I actually just got in my Doepfer A-132-3 from Thomann... it took a couple weeks to get here in US from the UK, but they definitely ship here it seems! And the euro to usd conversion was pretty sweet actually... even with the shipping it came out to being cheaper than what I see US places selling them for.

Might definitely grab one of these racks... especially since "the zero" isn't going to be out for at least 13 weeks.

thomann are in germany fwiw.
VanEck
Quote:
thomann are in germany fwiw.

Oops... I actually new that, but I always enter the "UK Cyberstore" option on their site so I can read it. My brain gots confuzzled.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1