MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTU Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author MOTU Volta
doctorvague
Control analog from computer:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-volt a-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/#more-4785
Kent
Puh-leeez see here!

In order to test some interfaces for Volta
dkcg
Is there a release date?! hyper

Someone pinch me. This seems too good to be true! I was dreading making a big ol Max patch that was going to do some of what Volta does. I must be dreaming.

I like to think that Wetterberg, my youtube vids, and all the other motu/midi haters/DC users had something to do with it. lol
bartlebooth
I didn't know that stretta actually wrote Volta for MOTU. He previously wrote some of my favorite monome apps including polygome and residue/tr-256. I find it really interesting (and encouraging!) that a company like MOTU would partner with a member of the user community to get innovative new products to market. Let's hope this becomes a trend.
REwire
My question is: All my audio interface's outs are being used for audio. If I want to devote 5 or 6 to CV I'll need another interface. Will that interface have to be part of my ASIO system or can it be separate? Unfortunately, Cubase won't route anything to it internally unless it's part of the ASIO system.
Peake
Oh, BRILLIANT!
Kent
REwire wrote:
My question is: All my audio interface's outs are being used for audio. If I want to devote 5 or 6 to CV I'll need another interface. Will that interface have to be part of my ASIO system or can it be separate? Unfortunately, Cubase won't route anything to it internally unless it's part of the ASIO system.

Mac or PC?

It also depends upon how Volta works. You'll most likely have to configure the 2nd audio interface as an "Aggregate Audio Device (Shift + Command + 'A')" in Audio/MIDI setup provided that you are on a Mac.

If on a PC, CEntrance is the way to go for this sort of thing.

CEntrance
dkcg
Aren't AU plugins Audio Units that use the Mac Core audio? I could be wrong, not to plugin saavy here...
Kent
dkcg, you are correct. They are built into the OS. It was Apple's attempt to get away from having so many plug-in formats. That didn't work out so well though. We lost MAS (remember that one?) & gained AU. We lost Adobe Premiere in the OS 9 vortex as well.
Babaluma
i already have a shit load of cv generators already IN my modular, why would i want to be tied to a computer? sorry, but for me i just don't see the need for this piece of gear.
flts
bartlebooth wrote:
I didn't know that stretta actually wrote Volta for MOTU. He previously wrote some of my favorite monome apps including polygome and residue/tr-256. I find it really interesting (and encouraging!) that a company like MOTU would partner with a member of the user community to get innovative new products to market. Let's hope this becomes a trend.

FWIW, Stretta has done most (or at least lots of) graphic design for MOTU products for the past few years - UIs, packaging, etc.
zerosum
Babaluma wrote:
i already have a shit load of cv generators already IN my modular, why would i want to be tied to a computer? sorry, but for me i just don't see the need for this piece of gear.

Infinite possibilities and convenience 8)
astroschnautzer
this seems to good to be true:) , it works with rme fireface 400/800 too wich is good news for me.
Kent
I'm not so sure about 'defeats'. I'd say it simply adds on to what we already enjoy about modulars & CV equipped synths & effects.

Whether that is of value is totally subjective. I'd love to be able to automate my MXR Auto-Flangers & Systech Flangers (dbx, etc...) with this and have it recalled with the mix session.
Roycie Roller
Sorry Kent, i must have deleted my post while you were replying to it. I deleted it because, as you say, the Volta's usefulness is completely subjective, and also, i thought i might sound like a tosser whingeing about it. Plus, thinking more about it, i realized that automating multiple devices/modules would be great! I still can't help thinking, though, that an element of the modular's design purpose, as a tactile instrument, becomes pretty much useless once you start using software to do the work of hands & knobs.

headcrabs!
whyterabbyt
Mac only? d'oh!
alex82
It would be great to control the volta plug-In with external cv's from the modular, especially the sequencer in volta... using the inputs of the interface...

Then the computer would come a realy part of the modular system. Cause this is the big advantage of analog sequencers, that you can modulate the modes like "forward, backward, random step.." with cv.
doctorvague
If you could draw an envelope on the screen as automation - then loop that track every 2 beats for example you could use that audio out (now CV) and eliminate the need for a harware envelope, theoretically at least. Could also take the the place of a hardware LFO, as well- and all perfectly tempo sync'd at any desired clock division at audio sampling rate, not MIDI. I'm not saying "sell your EG's and LFO's" BTW! Just some thoughts.

Obviously people syncing to computer will probably be interested in this and those not sync'ing probably won't be. Certainly not for everyone.

I'm kinda assuming it's Mac only but will have to go back and read some more. I kinda skimmed it out of excitement once I realized what it did I instantly wanted it! But I'm on a Mac, use DP and have 3 MOTU interfaces already.

EDIT:
Here's another link:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-volt a-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/#more-4785

Sorry if any of this has already been posted. I'm here quite a bit and seen anything about it myself.
parasitk
That video is fantastic ( http://vimeo.com/2850728 ). I am really excited about this. It probably wouldn't be used much in daily modular noodling, but for recording and song writing with my band, as well as the more commercial type work I do (where I would need to automate more things than I have hands, and some degree of recall would be handy) this is going to be essential.

doctorvague wrote:
But I'm on a Mac, use DP and have 3 MOTU interfaces already.

Similar here. I have access to a Traveller in addition to my old 2408 mk 1, but I plan on getting another interface this year, so I'm sure at least one of them will work!
parasitk
I'm thinking Volta with Numerology would be pretty sweet!

http://five12.com/
Gordon Cole
Ghost
parasitk
Gordon Cole wrote:
I lost all interest in Numerology after seeing the Max + Live video

True true, but I've had a lot of fun with Live and Numerology together - and I'm not really invested in Max yet... Numerology is just really immediate to me – for software at least – and I like that.
Gordon Cole
Ghost
stretta
O hai! I happened to be in the neighborhood.

I'm trying to hold myself to a 24-hour no-volta period after eight weeks of professional and personal madness, Dead Banana and I'm going to try to keep a low profile for the rest of the weekend, but I wanted to chime in for a moment.

Quote:
Think the "it doesn't step" is totally subjective.....I'm still not convinced that ANYTHING digital doesn't step in some small way, and whether we hear it consciously or not its still there. In the demos for instance when he sweeps the filter with the modwheel I still heard stepping....

Digital is by definition discrete, so what you're saying is technically true. In the video demo, I intentionally executed five octave portamento sweeps. Very smooth. The ramps are also high resolution - no stair stepping.

But, if you start with an 8-bit MIDI controller, like mod wheel, yeah, you're going to get stair stepping. This is expected. I could have patched a lag processor to smooth out the stepping in the analog domain, but I wanted people to hear the stair stepping - I wanted people to realize that MIDI to CV boxes are not the answer. very frustrating

MIDI was great in 1984. We can do better today. That is the reason why Volta exists.
criticalmonkey
thanks stretta

garbage in garbage out still holds true

can't believe how exciting the times are in the modular world

SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4