MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTU Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author MOTU Volta
KyleEasterly
I heavily use Ableton live (except for that last track I posted, that was all direct knob-control on the modular.)

MaxForLive + MOTU interface + the half-price Lemurs (until mid-March, anyway) = very very tempting...

You could put together something like the Buchla 222 multi-touchplate interface (except with no pressure control, but still very very cool)
criticalmonkey
more
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-
volta-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/

and from motu a request for more info
http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/volta-information/

the calibration sounds great - this was where i was stumbling with max/msp and different osc - but the idea of using with a filter -

hihi
Roycie Roller
KyleEasterly wrote:

You could put together something like the Buchla 222 multi-touchplate interface (except with no pressure control, but still very very cool)

exactly! Yes! But if you can program cv's, surely the next step is to have some surface plate connected by USB to something like Volta, where you can program everything down to the touch. That would be a perfect match between keeping the design goal of 'modular as tactile instrument' in tact, and really blowing the roof off what you can do with it, using software as the brain.
criticalmonkey
connecting threads -

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34306#34306
flextone
It says over at createdigitalmusic that Volta will work with an RME Fireface. However, RME have stated on their forum that none of their interfaces have DC-coupled outputs.

What gives?
REwire
whyterabbyt wrote:
Mac only? d'oh!

Yup. MOTU guy at NAMM said so.

Not mentioned yet, you can use audio with an env follower and modulate with volume levels. Any env or LFO drawn on a volume track of a audio track even of just a sine wave should do the same thing. Don't need any intermediate software or plug in between host and modular.
suitandtieguy
parasitk wrote:
I'm thinking Volta with Numerology would be pretty sweet!

Jim and I are chomping on the bit to try this out.

how long have you used Numerology? i'm delighted to see you're an enthusiastic patron of both STG Soundlabs and Five12.

Gordon Cole wrote:
I lost all interest in Numerology after seeing the Max + Live video

I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT NUMEROLOGY IS USEFUL FOR A LOT OF TASKS MAX IS ILL-EQUIPPED FOR AND VICE VERSA. IT IS LIKE SAYING THAT NOW THAT YOU'VE SEEN BICYCLES THERE IS NO NEED TO EAT FISH. EATING FISH WHILE RIDING A BICYCLE CAN BE A REWARDING EXPERIENCE.
stretta
*I* haven't ruled out Windows support.

I want to see where this goes, and I sincerely appreciate everyones support on this so far. Truly. Thank you.
Chuck E. Jesus
stretta wrote:
*I* haven't ruled out Windows support.

good to hear, some of us are pretty much stuck in PC land...curious how something like Reaktor could be used to control an analog rig via Volta...
Kent
Mac VST support would be dandy as well. As long we're throwing around requests already!

Congratulations on a cool plug-in & the fruit of a lot of work. I'm already going about qualifying some interfaces for this!
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Chuck E. Jesus
Kent wrote:
I'm already going about qualifying some interfaces for this!

Emu 1820 over here....
patchdub
what makes an interface have DC-coupled outputs. i have a digi 002 and havent been able to figure out yet if i need to switch to another interface in order to run volta.
criticalmonkey
try the 002 with files from this thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34306#34306

w00t
astroschnautzer
flextone wrote:
It says over at createdigitalmusic that Volta will work with an RME Fireface. However, RME have stated on their forum that none of their interfaces have DC-coupled outputs.

What gives?
yes it`s weird that motu says volta will work with rme-fireface and rme says it wont, that rme has not dc coupled outputs. I think i will have to sell my rme and by a motu if this is the case.
Kent
Jump forward 1 minute to get past the tart's 'singing'...

More info. And get this; you can bring the audio back into Volta and 'Freeze'/Capture it.

revtor
pretty cool.. We've been writing about this on AH for years it seems now, glad someone finally did it.

That much visual control over the modular is nuts!! love it.
~Steve
thermionicjunky
One thing that is unclear to me is whether or not there is quantizing on the ramp function. The interpolation seems smooth, but it appears that the interpolation is between fixed vertical points on the grid. If I can move those points, I'll be interested in Volta, despite the fact that it would require a new interface.
Audio Resistance
It is looking to me that the way to use this would be to chain aggregate audio devices in your Mac OS setup. That way you could just buy one of those cheap MOTU Travellers dedicated just for cv. Great idea from Motu, but I washed my hands of their A/D converters a few years ago.

Will this just open up inside Logic like a soft synth, or does it need to be Rewired?
witz
this buzz is getting on my nerves, sorry Stretta...
I think Volta totally misses the point both musically and fonctionally...its only useful feature is the calibration routine...and Motu's opportunism is just plain disgusting...
I don't want to be rude, really, but I had to... d'oh!
Chuck E. Jesus
usw wrote:
I think Volta totally misses the point both musically and fonctionally...its only useful feature is the calibration routine...and Motu's opportunism is just plain disgusting...

i get the point some may have about not "needing" Volta, but Motu seeing an opportunity to address things analog users have been complaining about for a long time (midi timing, osc tracking), providing new functions, and opening a new market for their audio interfaces is brilliant...i'm not going to get it for now as i'm PC and i doubt my interface would work, but i have a number of synths of various ages and this software would make that whole scene WAY easier to deal with...
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Kent
The point of this bundle of code is only obscured by the limits of one's imagination.
dkcg
Audio Resistance wrote:
It is looking to me that the way to use this would be to chain aggregate audio devices in your Mac OS setup. That way you could just buy one of those cheap MOTU Travellers dedicated just for cv. Great idea from Motu, but I washed my hands of their A/D converters a few years ago.

Will this just open up inside Logic like a soft synth, or does it need to be Rewired?

It's an AU plugin, so it should just show up as any other plugin. For more experimental patches, it seems like Volta may or may not be useful, I probably wouldn't use it in more esoteric patches, but for songwriting this looks like the shit for the DAW song writer junkies. grin

I'll most likely get it unless some MaxMSP cobbler elves make me some similar MaxMSP programs at night while I sleep.
dkcg
ross g wrote:
usw wrote:

i get the point some may have about not "needing" Volta, but Motu seeing an opportunity to address things analog users have been complaining about for a long time (midi timing, osc tracking), providing new functions, and opening a new market for their audio interfaces is brilliant...i'm not going to get it for now as i'm PC and i doubt my interface would work, but i have a number of synths of various ages and this software would make that whole scene WAY easier to deal with...

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales numbers on Volta is a good marketing indicator for any possible future hardware dedicated to this sort of thing. at least I hope so, and I hope a lot of people buy it...in the hopes of an audio interface designed for CV that happens to do audio, and not the other way around. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 2 of 4