MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTU Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author MOTU Volta
criticalmonkey
kent - thanks for the vid -

thermionicjunky - DP allows either free or quantized data points - volume, plug in automation, etc - assuming volta would follow that model,
my use of cv with max/msp created plugins and dp allowed me to do so without much effort
btw - volume on a cv track acts as a kind of attenuator - that's been a lot of fun with lfos for me

the assigning of a midi controller to a daw to send cv to a modular and calibrating it all so it works together - isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?

hihi
thermionicjunky
criticalmonkey wrote:
kent - thanks for the vid -

thermionicjunky - DP allows either free or quantized data points - volume, plug in automation, etc - assuming volta would follow that model,
my use of cv with max/msp created plugins and dp allowed me to do so without much effort
btw - volume on a cv track acts as a kind of attenuator - that's been a lot of fun with lfos for me

the assigning of a midi controller to a daw to send cv to a modular and calibrating it all so it works together - isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?

hihi

Yes, that reminds me that much of what I was seeing was Digital Performer. I'm using Logic now, so it probably depends on what I can do in Logic and Volta will just convert it to DC. Can't afford a new interface, so fuck it for now.
mono-poly
dkcg wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales numbers on Volta is a good marketing indicator for any possible future hardware dedicated to this sort of thing. at least I hope so, and I hope a lot of people buy it...in the hopes of an audio interface designed for CV that happens to do audio, and not the other way around. smile

Imho OSC needs just some better suport so you can use the ipsonlab stuff in more aps.
Audio Resistance
criticalmonkey wrote:

hihi

No, I think a dedicated hardware controller with knobs and sliders to control Volta that in turn syncs to your modular would start the gallop of the Horsemen.

suitandtieguy
usw wrote:
I think Volta totally misses the point

why? I don't understand this attitude at all.
Kent
Same here. It is an addition to everything that we like about modulars. It takes nothing away and only adds. Just use what you wish.

Honestly, once things are pretty well figured out in modular land, it would be nice to have all of the CV retained in a plug-in.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
No, I think a dedicated hardware controller with knobs and sliders to control Volta that in turn syncs to your modular would start the gallop of the Horsemen.

It would be like a Cyndustries Apple-Mac-Mini with tentacles and feelers.
A computer as a module... a really powerful and flexible module with a cold, black heart.
Put Kyma on the post-modular side of the signal and you'd have your soft, supple modular in digital fingercuffs.

I don't see myself getting to much into using the computer with the modular in the near future, but I think it is fantastic that another wing of the industry has decided to lend some support to our beloved voltage control.

As DKCG said it will be great for syncing up DAW tracks for songwriting.
I suppose there are other ways to get this working tightly though, as has been discussed with audio click tracks, and Machine Drum sequenced triggers.
timmah
slightly confused whether RME interfaces are compatible...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4551

guess we'll find out in time.
flts
RME stuff sounds a lot better than MOTU units I've tried though. So if you are actually using the interface for audio too (and not just CV) and have any ADAT ports, maybe getting some cheap AD/DA converter that is DC coupled and hooking it up to a RME interface as additional I/O would be a good idea. Dedicated I/O for Volta and Max twiddling, and plenty of I/O for audio too.

I don't know if the Behringer or Alesis ones have a DC-coupled signal path for example or if they're easily modifiable... Someone should test those out.
astroschnautzer
flts wrote:
RME stuff sounds a lot better than MOTU units I've tried though. So if you are actually using the interface for audio too (and not just CV) and have any ADAT ports, maybe getting some cheap AD/DA converter that is DC coupled and hooking it up to a RME interface as additional I/O would be a good idea. Dedicated I/O for Volta and Max twiddling, and plenty of I/O for audio too.

I don't know if the Behringer or Alesis ones have a DC-coupled signal path for example or if they're easily modifiable... Someone should test those out.
Yes, the RME sound would be lost then.. according to rme the headphone outputs on some of their models is dc coupled. RME puts out also abit confusing info as in the "technical info" sheets they say that forexample ff400 outputs are dc coupled but on the RME forum they say they are not and if you modify the capasitor(?) before the output it will be dc coupled but still wont output steady voltage. Or this is how I understood it. It would be nice to know for sure what adat da:s can output control voltage, for now it seems that you can`t trust the "this interface has dc- coupled outputs" comments that manufacturers has put out.
flts
Yeah, that's kind of weird with the RME case... "The whole signal path after the DAC is DC-coupled except for one big capacitor at the output jack. Removing this one is possible, but will still not give you the ability to generate DC voltages."

I don't know practically anything about DA converter design in general, but my logic was that the converter would just output whatever digital data gets fed to it in analog form, and whether DC is passed to output or not would just depend on whether there are coupling capacitors on the signal path or not. If I interpret what the RME guy says correctly, the DAC itself isn't designed / capable of generating DC so even you would have a DC-coupled analog stage after it, it wouldn't work as required.
doctorvague
Kent wrote:
Same here. It is an addition to everything that we like about modulars. It takes nothing away and only adds. Just use what you wish.

Well said!!!
MyPasswordIs123456
What are the advantages of using Volta-Motu over a good Midi-CV converter like the Encore Expressionist?

16 bit resolution of the Encore converter.
The calibration feature of Volta.
etc.
dkcg
MyPasswordIs123456 wrote:
What are the advantages of using Volta-Motu over a good Midi-CV converter like the Encore Expressionist?

etc.

a very slow LFO or envelope would be steppy with midi 2 CV. A very fast LFO would lose information once it got past the midi speed limit. I don't think for standard music you would hear much difference, mostly in these two extremes.
MyPasswordIs123456
Thank you for info DKCG
That makes sense.
alex82
MyPasswordIs123456 wrote:

etc.

espescialy the timing..

when you got a bunch of sequencing lines, that's now sample accurate. especially when you have a lot of sequencing lines and when they are fast, the midi resolution gets untide, and thats sometimes very painful.

But I don't see a big disadvantage in the midi "bit"resolution of midi-cv interfaces. good interfaces will smoth the steps anyway, but with fast and very slow modulation the results are there bad as well..
sydilaxe
It seems that the best of both worlds is to allocate certain tasks to a Midi>CV converter (assuming it is fast enough) and others to Volta. I do wish that Volta was bi-directional. You could then clock your project from an analog pulse or map CVs to CCs, etc. etc... now THAT would be quite revolutionary.
Kent
Opinions wanted.

Should I start listing the interfaces that I'm testing for DC output in this thread or another? Would it be clearer to see them listed in another thread that in which everyone can add their findings?

If listed here, should I continually update the same post? This would help for future users when they look over the thread, but nobody would know if I/we've added new interfaces unless we bumped the thread. Could get messy.

It may well be that NONE of the interfaces that I test will pass voltages below a certain frequency. It could be a short list.

In short, what would those that are interested in Volta find to be most helpful?

I'll let it run until tomorrow (around 12-14 hours from now) and make a choice with consideration given toward all y'all.
sydilaxe
I would start a new thread regarding the interfaces. That way the discussion can focus on interface options versus the general concept of Volta. Is the Behringer ADA8000 on the list *grin*?
doctorvague
I would suggest starting a new clearly labeled thread.
And - thanks!

Kent wrote:
Opinions wanted.

Should I start listing the interfaces that I'm testing for DC output in this thread or another? Would it be clearer to see them listed in another thread that in which everyone can add their findings?

If listed here, should I continually update the same post? This would help for future users when they look over the thread, but nobody would know if I/we've added new interfaces unless we bumped the thread. Could get messy.

It may well be that NONE of the interfaces that I test will pass voltages below a certain frequency. It could be a short list.

In short, what would those that are interested in Volta find to be most helpful?
Kent
One more thing. Where should the thread go?

Production Techniques?

Music Tech DIY? This seems to more DIY oriented...

Modular Synth General Discussion?

Muff & others, can you weigh in on this? I've tested 8 interfaces and need to post the results.

Sydilax, I won't test Behringer gear. Sorry for the let down.
sandyb
Kent wrote:
One more thing. Where should the thread go?

Production Techniques?

Music Tech DIY? This seems to more DIY oriented...

Modular Synth General Discussion?

Muff & others, can you weigh in on this? I've tested 8 interfaces and need to post the results.

Sydilax, I won't test Behringer gear. Sorry for the let down.

i'd be inclined to put it in modular synth general discussion Kent
Kent
And so it has come to pass:

Interface Roundup
parasitk

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.

w00t Oh fuck yes. This will be a beautiful thing.
goiks
parasitk wrote:

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.

w00t Oh fuck yes. This will be a beautiful thing.

yay! monome, meet modular.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4