MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTU Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author MOTU Volta
doctorvague
Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.


Reaktor exclamation
dkcg
parasitk wrote:
From: http://motu-volta.blogspot.com/

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.


w00t Oh fuck yes. This will be a beautiful thing.


Very cool...
Anyone use Steim's Junxion?
http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html
Looks like MOTU has made it more easily accessible to non-Max/propellerheads to play their analogue synths with a Wiimote or any other ridiculous controller that the computer can recognize...even video. Hardware form of Cycling74's Hipno plugins? smile
sandyb
dkcg wrote:
parasitk wrote:
From: http://motu-volta.blogspot.com/

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.


w00t Oh fuck yes. This will be a beautiful thing.


Very cool...
Anyone use Steim's Junxion?
http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html
Looks like MOTU has made it more easily accessible to non-Max/propellerheads to play their analogue synths with a Wiimote or any other ridiculous controller that the computer can recognize...even video. Hardware form of Cycling74's Hipno plugins? smile


i've played around with junxion a little bit a few years ago - pretty good fun although i was using it for midi rather than osc. isadora is another application that has some osc functionality although it is really aimed at video rather than audio and is quite a bit more money ($350 as far as i remember) than junxion.

sandy
tragedybysyntax
any set date for the volta being out?
parasitk
I've heard nothing, but I'm sure info will be posted here once it's available: http://motu-volta.blogspot.com/
sinemod
it is a big guess but mabey the new a-183-3 from doepfer will help especialy those with the motu 828 first rev.
ndkent
sinemod wrote:
it is a big guess but mabey the new a-183-3 from doepfer will help especialy those with the motu 828 first rev.


In theory it could definitely help if you have a working interface with low voltage. I'd think it would depend on the flexibility of the calibration features in Volta. Certainly won't convert a non DC interface though. Anyone know if the new Doepfer module is linear amplification?
Ranxerox
Just reading some of the previous replies on this... I think I can see both sides of the for/against attitude towards Volta.

The 'for' is seen by people who are using macs alongside their modulars, in which case it looks like a great bridge between the two.

The 'against' is seen by people who have chosen to keep away from computers. From this angle Volta probably looks like a bit of a garish and unwelcome intrusion of computers (and associated computer bullshit) into their peaceful idyll of pure modulated voltage.

I can agree with both equally, although I don't own a mac so it's all irrelevant to me!

I don't think one could accuse MOTU of being opportunistic however, beyond the sense in which all companies exploit opportunities in order to make a buck.

However to a corporate like MOTU, the modular synth market must look pretty rag-assed and small-potatoes, so I reckon MOTU will have to market pretty hard to CV/analog heads outside the modular community (moogerfooger / voyager owners e.g.?) to make it profitable, especially if the intention is to try and hock a computer->CV interface off the back of it. Risky proposition.
doctorvague
Ranxerox wrote:

The 'for' is seen by people who are using macs alongside their modulars, in which case it looks like a great bridge between the two.

The 'against' is seen by people who have chosen to keep away from computers. From this angle Volta probably looks like a bit of a garish and unwelcome intrusion of computers (and associated computer bullshit) into their peaceful idyll of pure modulated voltage.


Very well stated!
berfmurret
i am about to buy up some cables and have decided to go ahead get the cables required to run volta to my eurorack modular. all i need is 1/4 mono to 1/8 mono, correct? just wanted to double check before i drop the $$.
criticalmonkey
my experience is you need trs to 1/8 mono - based on motu 896(xlr) and 2408 mkII(trs) with max
assuming your interface is compatible

vaporware is not uncommon, even to those with the best intent - especially given the financial state of the universe
I wouldn't spend a penny on cables til you got it in your hands or can justify for other uses
berfmurret
just picked up an ultralite. i needed an interface with more i/o anyways so i figured why not get a used ultralite and give volta a go?..

do you know if trs-1/8mono will work from my modular to the interface for audio too? right now i am using the tip channel of a stereo 1/8 - split 1/4...
bar|none
Yeah it will. I'm using it with an ultralite now. but just 1/4->1/8 no TRS. Why do you need a TRS if the 1/8 is mono?

ultralite is a great interface btw.
berfmurret
dont some trs-mono cables sum the signal?
bar|none
I'm no expert but I don't think so. The signals needs to be out of phase which it wouldn't be on a mono cable.

I don't think noise is gonna be an issue, since it's one cable and it's going straight into your audio to digital converter on the Ultralite. So it's pretty much the same as an instrument cable.

Unless this cable is like 100' long or something.

I found this nice little set of rules

Balanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
balanced gear
= balanced connection



Balanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
unbalanced gear
= unbalanced connection



Balanced gear
|
TS or RCA cable
|
balanced gear
= unbalanced connection



unbalanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
unbalanced gear
= unbalanced connection
criticalmonkey
i haven't done the logic on it but the voltage difference between trs and non was substantial on my interfaces -

easy to try - i guess that's why i stopped to thinking about it -

we covered in another thread that +4 on output setting was also beneficial

with volta still an unknown - i'm basing everything off my max/msp dev and recording of cv (which never is quite right)
bar|none
Have you guys seen this yet?

New volta demo from Stretta.
http://vimeo.com/3749926

Also if you have any mk3 interface like an Ultralite MK3. Motu just released a CueMix upgrde with a dedicated Oscilliscope right on your audio interface. Sweet!

The irony here is looks like I will have better external control of my modular than my midi synths.
wetterberg
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group