MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MOTU Volta
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author MOTU Volta
doctorvague
Control analog from computer:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-volt a-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/#more-4785
Kent
Puh-leeez see here!

In order to test some interfaces for Volta
dkcg
Is there a release date?! hyper

Someone pinch me. This seems too good to be true! I was dreading making a big ol Max patch that was going to do some of what Volta does. I must be dreaming.

I like to think that Wetterberg, my youtube vids, and all the other motu/midi haters/DC users had something to do with it. lol
bartlebooth
I didn't know that stretta actually wrote Volta for MOTU. He previously wrote some of my favorite monome apps including polygome and residue/tr-256. I find it really interesting (and encouraging!) that a company like MOTU would partner with a member of the user community to get innovative new products to market. Let's hope this becomes a trend.
REwire
My question is: All my audio interface's outs are being used for audio. If I want to devote 5 or 6 to CV I'll need another interface. Will that interface have to be part of my ASIO system or can it be separate? Unfortunately, Cubase won't route anything to it internally unless it's part of the ASIO system.
Peake
Oh, BRILLIANT!
Kent
REwire wrote:
My question is: All my audio interface's outs are being used for audio. If I want to devote 5 or 6 to CV I'll need another interface. Will that interface have to be part of my ASIO system or can it be separate? Unfortunately, Cubase won't route anything to it internally unless it's part of the ASIO system.

Mac or PC?

It also depends upon how Volta works. You'll most likely have to configure the 2nd audio interface as an "Aggregate Audio Device (Shift + Command + 'A')" in Audio/MIDI setup provided that you are on a Mac.

If on a PC, CEntrance is the way to go for this sort of thing.

CEntrance
dkcg
Aren't AU plugins Audio Units that use the Mac Core audio? I could be wrong, not to plugin saavy here...
Kent
dkcg, you are correct. They are built into the OS. It was Apple's attempt to get away from having so many plug-in formats. That didn't work out so well though. We lost MAS (remember that one?) & gained AU. We lost Adobe Premiere in the OS 9 vortex as well.
Babaluma
i already have a shit load of cv generators already IN my modular, why would i want to be tied to a computer? sorry, but for me i just don't see the need for this piece of gear.
flts
bartlebooth wrote:
I didn't know that stretta actually wrote Volta for MOTU. He previously wrote some of my favorite monome apps including polygome and residue/tr-256. I find it really interesting (and encouraging!) that a company like MOTU would partner with a member of the user community to get innovative new products to market. Let's hope this becomes a trend.

FWIW, Stretta has done most (or at least lots of) graphic design for MOTU products for the past few years - UIs, packaging, etc.
zerosum
Babaluma wrote:
i already have a shit load of cv generators already IN my modular, why would i want to be tied to a computer? sorry, but for me i just don't see the need for this piece of gear.

Infinite possibilities and convenience 8)
astroschnautzer
this seems to good to be true:) , it works with rme fireface 400/800 too wich is good news for me.
Kent
I'm not so sure about 'defeats'. I'd say it simply adds on to what we already enjoy about modulars & CV equipped synths & effects.

Whether that is of value is totally subjective. I'd love to be able to automate my MXR Auto-Flangers & Systech Flangers (dbx, etc...) with this and have it recalled with the mix session.
Roycie Roller
Sorry Kent, i must have deleted my post while you were replying to it. I deleted it because, as you say, the Volta's usefulness is completely subjective, and also, i thought i might sound like a tosser whingeing about it. Plus, thinking more about it, i realized that automating multiple devices/modules would be great! I still can't help thinking, though, that an element of the modular's design purpose, as a tactile instrument, becomes pretty much useless once you start using software to do the work of hands & knobs.

headcrabs!
whyterabbyt
Mac only? d'oh!
alex82
It would be great to control the volta plug-In with external cv's from the modular, especially the sequencer in volta... using the inputs of the interface...

Then the computer would come a realy part of the modular system. Cause this is the big advantage of analog sequencers, that you can modulate the modes like "forward, backward, random step.." with cv.
doctorvague
If you could draw an envelope on the screen as automation - then loop that track every 2 beats for example you could use that audio out (now CV) and eliminate the need for a harware envelope, theoretically at least. Could also take the the place of a hardware LFO, as well- and all perfectly tempo sync'd at any desired clock division at audio sampling rate, not MIDI. I'm not saying "sell your EG's and LFO's" BTW! Just some thoughts.

Obviously people syncing to computer will probably be interested in this and those not sync'ing probably won't be. Certainly not for everyone.

I'm kinda assuming it's Mac only but will have to go back and read some more. I kinda skimmed it out of excitement once I realized what it did I instantly wanted it! But I'm on a Mac, use DP and have 3 MOTU interfaces already.

EDIT:
Here's another link:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-volt a-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/#more-4785

Sorry if any of this has already been posted. I'm here quite a bit and seen anything about it myself.
parasitk
That video is fantastic ( http://vimeo.com/2850728 ). I am really excited about this. It probably wouldn't be used much in daily modular noodling, but for recording and song writing with my band, as well as the more commercial type work I do (where I would need to automate more things than I have hands, and some degree of recall would be handy) this is going to be essential.

doctorvague wrote:
But I'm on a Mac, use DP and have 3 MOTU interfaces already.

Similar here. I have access to a Traveller in addition to my old 2408 mk 1, but I plan on getting another interface this year, so I'm sure at least one of them will work!
parasitk
I'm thinking Volta with Numerology would be pretty sweet!

http://five12.com/
Gordon Cole
Ghost
parasitk
Gordon Cole wrote:
I lost all interest in Numerology after seeing the Max + Live video

True true, but I've had a lot of fun with Live and Numerology together - and I'm not really invested in Max yet... Numerology is just really immediate to me – for software at least – and I like that.
Gordon Cole
Ghost
stretta
O hai! I happened to be in the neighborhood.

I'm trying to hold myself to a 24-hour no-volta period after eight weeks of professional and personal madness, Dead Banana and I'm going to try to keep a low profile for the rest of the weekend, but I wanted to chime in for a moment.

Quote:
Think the "it doesn't step" is totally subjective.....I'm still not convinced that ANYTHING digital doesn't step in some small way, and whether we hear it consciously or not its still there. In the demos for instance when he sweeps the filter with the modwheel I still heard stepping....

Digital is by definition discrete, so what you're saying is technically true. In the video demo, I intentionally executed five octave portamento sweeps. Very smooth. The ramps are also high resolution - no stair stepping.

But, if you start with an 8-bit MIDI controller, like mod wheel, yeah, you're going to get stair stepping. This is expected. I could have patched a lag processor to smooth out the stepping in the analog domain, but I wanted people to hear the stair stepping - I wanted people to realize that MIDI to CV boxes are not the answer. very frustrating

MIDI was great in 1984. We can do better today. That is the reason why Volta exists.
criticalmonkey
thanks stretta

garbage in garbage out still holds true

can't believe how exciting the times are in the modular world

SlayerBadger!
KyleEasterly
I heavily use Ableton live (except for that last track I posted, that was all direct knob-control on the modular.)

MaxForLive + MOTU interface + the half-price Lemurs (until mid-March, anyway) = very very tempting...

You could put together something like the Buchla 222 multi-touchplate interface (except with no pressure control, but still very very cool)
criticalmonkey
more
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/01/16/analog-meet-digital-motu-
volta-connects-the-mac-to-cv-synths-effects-graphically/

and from motu a request for more info
http://www.motu.com/other/feedback/volta-information/

the calibration sounds great - this was where i was stumbling with max/msp and different osc - but the idea of using with a filter -

hihi
Roycie Roller
KyleEasterly wrote:

You could put together something like the Buchla 222 multi-touchplate interface (except with no pressure control, but still very very cool)

exactly! Yes! But if you can program cv's, surely the next step is to have some surface plate connected by USB to something like Volta, where you can program everything down to the touch. That would be a perfect match between keeping the design goal of 'modular as tactile instrument' in tact, and really blowing the roof off what you can do with it, using software as the brain.
criticalmonkey
connecting threads -

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34306#34306
flextone
It says over at createdigitalmusic that Volta will work with an RME Fireface. However, RME have stated on their forum that none of their interfaces have DC-coupled outputs.

What gives?
REwire
whyterabbyt wrote:
Mac only? d'oh!

Yup. MOTU guy at NAMM said so.

Not mentioned yet, you can use audio with an env follower and modulate with volume levels. Any env or LFO drawn on a volume track of a audio track even of just a sine wave should do the same thing. Don't need any intermediate software or plug in between host and modular.
suitandtieguy
parasitk wrote:
I'm thinking Volta with Numerology would be pretty sweet!

Jim and I are chomping on the bit to try this out.

how long have you used Numerology? i'm delighted to see you're an enthusiastic patron of both STG Soundlabs and Five12.

Gordon Cole wrote:
I lost all interest in Numerology after seeing the Max + Live video

I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT NUMEROLOGY IS USEFUL FOR A LOT OF TASKS MAX IS ILL-EQUIPPED FOR AND VICE VERSA. IT IS LIKE SAYING THAT NOW THAT YOU'VE SEEN BICYCLES THERE IS NO NEED TO EAT FISH. EATING FISH WHILE RIDING A BICYCLE CAN BE A REWARDING EXPERIENCE.
stretta
*I* haven't ruled out Windows support.

I want to see where this goes, and I sincerely appreciate everyones support on this so far. Truly. Thank you.
Chuck E. Jesus
stretta wrote:
*I* haven't ruled out Windows support.

good to hear, some of us are pretty much stuck in PC land...curious how something like Reaktor could be used to control an analog rig via Volta...
Kent
Mac VST support would be dandy as well. As long we're throwing around requests already!

Congratulations on a cool plug-in & the fruit of a lot of work. I'm already going about qualifying some interfaces for this!
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Chuck E. Jesus
Kent wrote:
I'm already going about qualifying some interfaces for this!

Emu 1820 over here....
patchdub
what makes an interface have DC-coupled outputs. i have a digi 002 and havent been able to figure out yet if i need to switch to another interface in order to run volta.
criticalmonkey
try the 002 with files from this thread

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34306#34306

w00t
astroschnautzer
flextone wrote:
It says over at createdigitalmusic that Volta will work with an RME Fireface. However, RME have stated on their forum that none of their interfaces have DC-coupled outputs.

What gives?
yes it`s weird that motu says volta will work with rme-fireface and rme says it wont, that rme has not dc coupled outputs. I think i will have to sell my rme and by a motu if this is the case.
Kent
Jump forward 1 minute to get past the tart's 'singing'...

More info. And get this; you can bring the audio back into Volta and 'Freeze'/Capture it.

revtor
pretty cool.. We've been writing about this on AH for years it seems now, glad someone finally did it.

That much visual control over the modular is nuts!! love it.
~Steve
thermionicjunky
One thing that is unclear to me is whether or not there is quantizing on the ramp function. The interpolation seems smooth, but it appears that the interpolation is between fixed vertical points on the grid. If I can move those points, I'll be interested in Volta, despite the fact that it would require a new interface.
Audio Resistance
It is looking to me that the way to use this would be to chain aggregate audio devices in your Mac OS setup. That way you could just buy one of those cheap MOTU Travellers dedicated just for cv. Great idea from Motu, but I washed my hands of their A/D converters a few years ago.

Will this just open up inside Logic like a soft synth, or does it need to be Rewired?
witz
this buzz is getting on my nerves, sorry Stretta...
I think Volta totally misses the point both musically and fonctionally...its only useful feature is the calibration routine...and Motu's opportunism is just plain disgusting...
I don't want to be rude, really, but I had to... d'oh!
Chuck E. Jesus
usw wrote:
I think Volta totally misses the point both musically and fonctionally...its only useful feature is the calibration routine...and Motu's opportunism is just plain disgusting...

i get the point some may have about not "needing" Volta, but Motu seeing an opportunity to address things analog users have been complaining about for a long time (midi timing, osc tracking), providing new functions, and opening a new market for their audio interfaces is brilliant...i'm not going to get it for now as i'm PC and i doubt my interface would work, but i have a number of synths of various ages and this software would make that whole scene WAY easier to deal with...
Gordon Cole
Ghost
Kent
The point of this bundle of code is only obscured by the limits of one's imagination.
dkcg
Audio Resistance wrote:
It is looking to me that the way to use this would be to chain aggregate audio devices in your Mac OS setup. That way you could just buy one of those cheap MOTU Travellers dedicated just for cv. Great idea from Motu, but I washed my hands of their A/D converters a few years ago.

Will this just open up inside Logic like a soft synth, or does it need to be Rewired?

It's an AU plugin, so it should just show up as any other plugin. For more experimental patches, it seems like Volta may or may not be useful, I probably wouldn't use it in more esoteric patches, but for songwriting this looks like the shit for the DAW song writer junkies. grin

I'll most likely get it unless some MaxMSP cobbler elves make me some similar MaxMSP programs at night while I sleep.
dkcg
ross g wrote:
usw wrote:

i get the point some may have about not "needing" Volta, but Motu seeing an opportunity to address things analog users have been complaining about for a long time (midi timing, osc tracking), providing new functions, and opening a new market for their audio interfaces is brilliant...i'm not going to get it for now as i'm PC and i doubt my interface would work, but i have a number of synths of various ages and this software would make that whole scene WAY easier to deal with...

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales numbers on Volta is a good marketing indicator for any possible future hardware dedicated to this sort of thing. at least I hope so, and I hope a lot of people buy it...in the hopes of an audio interface designed for CV that happens to do audio, and not the other way around. smile
criticalmonkey
kent - thanks for the vid -

thermionicjunky - DP allows either free or quantized data points - volume, plug in automation, etc - assuming volta would follow that model,
my use of cv with max/msp created plugins and dp allowed me to do so without much effort
btw - volume on a cv track acts as a kind of attenuator - that's been a lot of fun with lfos for me

the assigning of a midi controller to a daw to send cv to a modular and calibrating it all so it works together - isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?

hihi
thermionicjunky
criticalmonkey wrote:
kent - thanks for the vid -

thermionicjunky - DP allows either free or quantized data points - volume, plug in automation, etc - assuming volta would follow that model,
my use of cv with max/msp created plugins and dp allowed me to do so without much effort
btw - volume on a cv track acts as a kind of attenuator - that's been a lot of fun with lfos for me

the assigning of a midi controller to a daw to send cv to a modular and calibrating it all so it works together - isn't that a sign of the apocalypse?

hihi

Yes, that reminds me that much of what I was seeing was Digital Performer. I'm using Logic now, so it probably depends on what I can do in Logic and Volta will just convert it to DC. Can't afford a new interface, so fuck it for now.
mono-poly
dkcg wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the sales numbers on Volta is a good marketing indicator for any possible future hardware dedicated to this sort of thing. at least I hope so, and I hope a lot of people buy it...in the hopes of an audio interface designed for CV that happens to do audio, and not the other way around. smile

Imho OSC needs just some better suport so you can use the ipsonlab stuff in more aps.
Audio Resistance
criticalmonkey wrote:

hihi

No, I think a dedicated hardware controller with knobs and sliders to control Volta that in turn syncs to your modular would start the gallop of the Horsemen.

suitandtieguy
usw wrote:
I think Volta totally misses the point

why? I don't understand this attitude at all.
Kent
Same here. It is an addition to everything that we like about modulars. It takes nothing away and only adds. Just use what you wish.

Honestly, once things are pretty well figured out in modular land, it would be nice to have all of the CV retained in a plug-in.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
No, I think a dedicated hardware controller with knobs and sliders to control Volta that in turn syncs to your modular would start the gallop of the Horsemen.

It would be like a Cyndustries Apple-Mac-Mini with tentacles and feelers.
A computer as a module... a really powerful and flexible module with a cold, black heart.
Put Kyma on the post-modular side of the signal and you'd have your soft, supple modular in digital fingercuffs.

I don't see myself getting to much into using the computer with the modular in the near future, but I think it is fantastic that another wing of the industry has decided to lend some support to our beloved voltage control.

As DKCG said it will be great for syncing up DAW tracks for songwriting.
I suppose there are other ways to get this working tightly though, as has been discussed with audio click tracks, and Machine Drum sequenced triggers.
timmah
slightly confused whether RME interfaces are compatible...

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4551

guess we'll find out in time.
flts
RME stuff sounds a lot better than MOTU units I've tried though. So if you are actually using the interface for audio too (and not just CV) and have any ADAT ports, maybe getting some cheap AD/DA converter that is DC coupled and hooking it up to a RME interface as additional I/O would be a good idea. Dedicated I/O for Volta and Max twiddling, and plenty of I/O for audio too.

I don't know if the Behringer or Alesis ones have a DC-coupled signal path for example or if they're easily modifiable... Someone should test those out.
astroschnautzer
flts wrote:
RME stuff sounds a lot better than MOTU units I've tried though. So if you are actually using the interface for audio too (and not just CV) and have any ADAT ports, maybe getting some cheap AD/DA converter that is DC coupled and hooking it up to a RME interface as additional I/O would be a good idea. Dedicated I/O for Volta and Max twiddling, and plenty of I/O for audio too.

I don't know if the Behringer or Alesis ones have a DC-coupled signal path for example or if they're easily modifiable... Someone should test those out.
Yes, the RME sound would be lost then.. according to rme the headphone outputs on some of their models is dc coupled. RME puts out also abit confusing info as in the "technical info" sheets they say that forexample ff400 outputs are dc coupled but on the RME forum they say they are not and if you modify the capasitor(?) before the output it will be dc coupled but still wont output steady voltage. Or this is how I understood it. It would be nice to know for sure what adat da:s can output control voltage, for now it seems that you can`t trust the "this interface has dc- coupled outputs" comments that manufacturers has put out.
flts
Yeah, that's kind of weird with the RME case... "The whole signal path after the DAC is DC-coupled except for one big capacitor at the output jack. Removing this one is possible, but will still not give you the ability to generate DC voltages."

I don't know practically anything about DA converter design in general, but my logic was that the converter would just output whatever digital data gets fed to it in analog form, and whether DC is passed to output or not would just depend on whether there are coupling capacitors on the signal path or not. If I interpret what the RME guy says correctly, the DAC itself isn't designed / capable of generating DC so even you would have a DC-coupled analog stage after it, it wouldn't work as required.
doctorvague
Kent wrote:
Same here. It is an addition to everything that we like about modulars. It takes nothing away and only adds. Just use what you wish.

Well said!!!
MyPasswordIs123456
What are the advantages of using Volta-Motu over a good Midi-CV converter like the Encore Expressionist?

16 bit resolution of the Encore converter.
The calibration feature of Volta.
etc.
dkcg
MyPasswordIs123456 wrote:
What are the advantages of using Volta-Motu over a good Midi-CV converter like the Encore Expressionist?

etc.

a very slow LFO or envelope would be steppy with midi 2 CV. A very fast LFO would lose information once it got past the midi speed limit. I don't think for standard music you would hear much difference, mostly in these two extremes.
MyPasswordIs123456
Thank you for info DKCG
That makes sense.
alex82
MyPasswordIs123456 wrote:

etc.

espescialy the timing..

when you got a bunch of sequencing lines, that's now sample accurate. especially when you have a lot of sequencing lines and when they are fast, the midi resolution gets untide, and thats sometimes very painful.

But I don't see a big disadvantage in the midi "bit"resolution of midi-cv interfaces. good interfaces will smoth the steps anyway, but with fast and very slow modulation the results are there bad as well..
sydilaxe
It seems that the best of both worlds is to allocate certain tasks to a Midi>CV converter (assuming it is fast enough) and others to Volta. I do wish that Volta was bi-directional. You could then clock your project from an analog pulse or map CVs to CCs, etc. etc... now THAT would be quite revolutionary.
Kent
Opinions wanted.

Should I start listing the interfaces that I'm testing for DC output in this thread or another? Would it be clearer to see them listed in another thread that in which everyone can add their findings?

If listed here, should I continually update the same post? This would help for future users when they look over the thread, but nobody would know if I/we've added new interfaces unless we bumped the thread. Could get messy.

It may well be that NONE of the interfaces that I test will pass voltages below a certain frequency. It could be a short list.

In short, what would those that are interested in Volta find to be most helpful?

I'll let it run until tomorrow (around 12-14 hours from now) and make a choice with consideration given toward all y'all.
sydilaxe
I would start a new thread regarding the interfaces. That way the discussion can focus on interface options versus the general concept of Volta. Is the Behringer ADA8000 on the list *grin*?
doctorvague
I would suggest starting a new clearly labeled thread.
And - thanks!

Kent wrote:
Opinions wanted.

Should I start listing the interfaces that I'm testing for DC output in this thread or another? Would it be clearer to see them listed in another thread that in which everyone can add their findings?

If listed here, should I continually update the same post? This would help for future users when they look over the thread, but nobody would know if I/we've added new interfaces unless we bumped the thread. Could get messy.

It may well be that NONE of the interfaces that I test will pass voltages below a certain frequency. It could be a short list.

In short, what would those that are interested in Volta find to be most helpful?
Kent
One more thing. Where should the thread go?

Production Techniques?

Music Tech DIY? This seems to more DIY oriented...

Modular Synth General Discussion?

Muff & others, can you weigh in on this? I've tested 8 interfaces and need to post the results.

Sydilax, I won't test Behringer gear. Sorry for the let down.
sandyb
Kent wrote:
One more thing. Where should the thread go?

Production Techniques?

Music Tech DIY? This seems to more DIY oriented...

Modular Synth General Discussion?

Muff & others, can you weigh in on this? I've tested 8 interfaces and need to post the results.

Sydilax, I won't test Behringer gear. Sorry for the let down.

i'd be inclined to put it in modular synth general discussion Kent
Kent
And so it has come to pass:

Interface Roundup
parasitk

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.

w00t Oh fuck yes. This will be a beautiful thing.
goiks
parasitk wrote:

Quote:
A simple OpenSound Control (OSC) input module has been added to the to do list so you can funnel OSC data from any source into your modular.

yay! monome, meet modular.
doctorvague
Quote:

Reaktor exclamation
dkcg
parasitk wrote:

Quote:

Very cool...
Anyone use Steim's Junxion?
http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html
Looks like MOTU has made it more easily accessible to non-Max/propellerheads to play their analogue synths with a Wiimote or any other ridiculous controller that the computer can recognize...even video. Hardware form of Cycling74's Hipno plugins? smile
sandyb
dkcg wrote:
parasitk wrote:

Quote:

Very cool...
Anyone use Steim's Junxion?
http://www.steim.org/steim/junxion_v4.html
Looks like MOTU has made it more easily accessible to non-Max/propellerheads to play their analogue synths with a Wiimote or any other ridiculous controller that the computer can recognize...even video. Hardware form of Cycling74's Hipno plugins? smile

i've played around with junxion a little bit a few years ago - pretty good fun although i was using it for midi rather than osc. isadora is another application that has some osc functionality although it is really aimed at video rather than audio and is quite a bit more money ($350 as far as i remember) than junxion.

sandy
tragedybysyntax
any set date for the volta being out?
parasitk
I've heard nothing, but I'm sure info will be posted here once it's available: http://motu-volta.blogspot.com/
sinemod
it is a big guess but mabey the new a-183-3 from doepfer will help especialy those with the motu 828 first rev.
ndkent
sinemod wrote:
it is a big guess but mabey the new a-183-3 from doepfer will help especialy those with the motu 828 first rev.

In theory it could definitely help if you have a working interface with low voltage. I'd think it would depend on the flexibility of the calibration features in Volta. Certainly won't convert a non DC interface though. Anyone know if the new Doepfer module is linear amplification?
Ranxerox
Just reading some of the previous replies on this... I think I can see both sides of the for/against attitude towards Volta.

The 'for' is seen by people who are using macs alongside their modulars, in which case it looks like a great bridge between the two.

The 'against' is seen by people who have chosen to keep away from computers. From this angle Volta probably looks like a bit of a garish and unwelcome intrusion of computers (and associated computer bullshit) into their peaceful idyll of pure modulated voltage.

I can agree with both equally, although I don't own a mac so it's all irrelevant to me!

I don't think one could accuse MOTU of being opportunistic however, beyond the sense in which all companies exploit opportunities in order to make a buck.

However to a corporate like MOTU, the modular synth market must look pretty rag-assed and small-potatoes, so I reckon MOTU will have to market pretty hard to CV/analog heads outside the modular community (moogerfooger / voyager owners e.g.?) to make it profitable, especially if the intention is to try and hock a computer->CV interface off the back of it. Risky proposition.
doctorvague
Ranxerox wrote:

The 'for' is seen by people who are using macs alongside their modulars, in which case it looks like a great bridge between the two.

The 'against' is seen by people who have chosen to keep away from computers. From this angle Volta probably looks like a bit of a garish and unwelcome intrusion of computers (and associated computer bullshit) into their peaceful idyll of pure modulated voltage.

Very well stated!
berfmurret
i am about to buy up some cables and have decided to go ahead get the cables required to run volta to my eurorack modular. all i need is 1/4 mono to 1/8 mono, correct? just wanted to double check before i drop the $$.
criticalmonkey
my experience is you need trs to 1/8 mono - based on motu 896(xlr) and 2408 mkII(trs) with max
assuming your interface is compatible

vaporware is not uncommon, even to those with the best intent - especially given the financial state of the universe
I wouldn't spend a penny on cables til you got it in your hands or can justify for other uses
berfmurret
just picked up an ultralite. i needed an interface with more i/o anyways so i figured why not get a used ultralite and give volta a go?..

do you know if trs-1/8mono will work from my modular to the interface for audio too? right now i am using the tip channel of a stereo 1/8 - split 1/4...
bar|none
Yeah it will. I'm using it with an ultralite now. but just 1/4->1/8 no TRS. Why do you need a TRS if the 1/8 is mono?

ultralite is a great interface btw.
berfmurret
dont some trs-mono cables sum the signal?
bar|none
I'm no expert but I don't think so. The signals needs to be out of phase which it wouldn't be on a mono cable.

I don't think noise is gonna be an issue, since it's one cable and it's going straight into your audio to digital converter on the Ultralite. So it's pretty much the same as an instrument cable.

Unless this cable is like 100' long or something.

I found this nice little set of rules

Balanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
balanced gear
= balanced connection

Balanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
unbalanced gear
= unbalanced connection

Balanced gear
|
TS or RCA cable
|
balanced gear
= unbalanced connection

unbalanced gear
|
TRS or XLR cable
|
unbalanced gear
= unbalanced connection
criticalmonkey
i haven't done the logic on it but the voltage difference between trs and non was substantial on my interfaces -

easy to try - i guess that's why i stopped to thinking about it -

we covered in another thread that +4 on output setting was also beneficial

with volta still an unknown - i'm basing everything off my max/msp dev and recording of cv (which never is quite right)
bar|none
Have you guys seen this yet?

New volta demo from Stretta.
http://vimeo.com/3749926

Also if you have any mk3 interface like an Ultralite MK3. Motu just released a CueMix upgrde with a dedicated Oscilliscope right on your audio interface. Sweet!

The irony here is looks like I will have better external control of my modular than my midi synths.
wetterberg
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 4