MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rack Planner does Serge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Rack Planner does Serge
dougcl
BananaPlug
Those M modules do look better without the black power thingie in between them but the fact that it's not there makes me think something isn't quite in scale.
dougcl
Hmmm, I thought a Serge would look like this:

parasitk
They do! But those 1/2 modules – the M-Class – are separated by a black power strip thinger: http://carbon111.com/m_class.html

They don't meet in the middle like they do in the planner shot above - so the scale of those images are a little off.
dougcl
Are the racks for the M-class wider?
chimologic
2 m panels in their chassis= same width as the regular pannels. they just have a different chassis with the black 1 unit module in the middle. so no if anything when you put 2 together it should be slightly less than a regular full pannel
amnesia
hey thats my Serge :-)

I am not a phan of the black part in the middle, seems strange why Rex didnt make it silver????
fluxmonkey
adding serge to a rack planner makes would've made more sense when you cd mix'n'match modules... doesn't seem as necessary now that custom panels are no longer made. not that i'm bitter...
dougcl
fluxmonkey wrote:
adding serge to a rack planner makes would've made more sense when you cd mix'n'match modules... doesn't seem as necessary now that custom panels are no longer made. not that i'm bitter...

I thought you could buy the modules and add them to the M boats however you like. Also, I thought the TKB was still available, at least. I'm really annoyed with the black separator in the M boats. Seems like a not great design decision.

And I'm still confused about the module dimensions. The images for the M modules have the same height as the TKB image, and are half the width of the TKB. There is no room for the black separator, unless the TKB is narrower than an M-boat. Perhaps someone can clear this up for me so I can fix it.
BananaPlug
TKB panel is 17" edge to edge, as you would expect. I don't have any M here.
dougcl
BananaPlug wrote:
TKB panel is 17" edge to edge, as you would expect. I don't have any M here.

Awesome. I'm assuming the M-boats are 19", so that leaves approx 2" for the black separator. Sounds good, hopefully it's true.
parasitk
17" edge to edge minus optional rack ears, right? I would imagine the m-boat is the same so they could use the same ear mounts?
chimologic
correct they are the same 17" edge to edge Including the black strip in t he middle
dougcl
Okay so we have:

M-boats are 17" wide.
TKB is 17" wide.
M-modules and TKB are the same height.
Two M-modules plus a separator = 17"
The image aspect ratios on serge-fans are fairly correct.

One or more of the preceding statements is false.

Doug
carbon111
No, those statements are all mostly correct...however, your TKB image in the photo in the first post is "squeezed" just enough that it is 1" narrower than it should be.

Also, the TKB is still available

All Serge panels/m-boats are 4U high. I didn't realise you didn't know about the power strip...sorry about that.

If you'd like, I can take some pictures of my system when I get home tonight if you'd like - I've got a mix of M-class and Shop Panels.

Basically, each row of knobs/jacks takes up one inch. Shop Panels have 16 inches of "function blocks". M-odules have 7 inches of "function blocks" for a total of 14 inches in an M-boat.

The extra space to fill the 17" total width is taken up by the 1/2" edge trim and, in the case of the M-odules, the 1" power distribution strip as well.

If an M-boat (with two M-odules) is mounted under or above a Shop Panel, all the function blocks will "line up" above and below. The main difference is the M-boat will be missing 2" of function blocks right in the middle...

I hope some of my ramble makes some sort of sense. wink
dougcl
Hi Carbon, this is exactly what I am after, and it all makes sense. A great straight on shot of your system would be great so I can make the divider part of the rack image.
carbon111
Well, here it is without the M-boat...you can see how all the rows of knobs and jacks are in-line with each other vertically.

I'll post an updated image tonight with the populated M-boat. I actually just got my "Gator" yesterday! w00t

chimologic
Every time I see a picture like this I have to keep mentally repeating:

'calm down only two more weeks or so before your TKB gets here'

Hello, my name is chimologic, and I am a serge addict.
carbon111
Here's those pictures...the lighting is weird but you get the general idea...

This demonstrates the 1" spacing:

felix
AAAAAAhh.

I shouldn't be looking at this. I shouldn't be looking at this.

help
ex_dead_teenager
I don't mind the colour of the strip in the middle of the M-boats I have yet to get my hands on one so they seem kind of mysterious to me what does the lone banana jack at the top do anyway? Is the black bit anything more than a blinky light source and power connector? Maybe I'm being overly demanding but the only thing that bugs me about the M-boats and those black strips is that every time I see one I can't help but think to myself that you could fit two more function blocks in that amount of space.

nice photos btw. I'm so close to placing my animal order that I can almost taste it... it tastes like patch cables and metal. love
ex_dead_teenager
Felix I think you should just give-er I've been following your blog and your Buchla indecision thread with interest and for a few months now. You'd have to maybe give up a lot of your monster system to justify the purchase but you've totally got the bug and judging by your rig and how quickly you've been able to build it up I hope I'm not out of line if I say you could do it without too much economic or electronic heartache. I hope I'm not being too presumptuous saying that, it just seems to me that you've got your heart already sitting in one of those Buchla boats you might as well go all the way. of all the people I can think of you'd be one of the few I'd count on to make the most out of an instrument like that. And I'd love to see the youtube videos you'd make. Shit man your musings are so much like most of mine have been.

I eventually settled on Serge over Buchla because I like the warm reception I've had from Serge users and the great customer service from Rex. I found all my attempts to even get into the same room as a Buchla synth were all met with the same cold unresponsiveness. To say nothing about the fact that I'd be in debt the rest of my life for a 12 module system. eek!
carbon111
If you made the M-odules a 1/2" wider they would completely fill the M-boat but you still wouldn't have room for another 1" of function block - so using the middle as an all-purpose indicator as well as power distribution module makes complete sense.

...just my .02
ex_dead_teenager
so that's what those blinky lights are for.
carbon111
Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1