MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone mod a Korg Rhythm 55B?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Anyone mod a Korg Rhythm 55B?
Rod Serling Fan Club
Inspired by the boss thread. I've had a KR-55 for some time that I am rather fond of. Seems like individual outs would be an easy enough mod. Does anyone know of any information out there. I've searched with no luck. I am sure it wold be fairly easy to figure out but in matters of modifications and DIY I'm more comfortable doing something others have done before.
dougt
I added trigger input jacks for all the sounds on mine so I can now sequence it with an MFB Seq-01 or similar trigger seq to make my own patterns.
thiagozt
do you have the instructions to add individual triggers?
ringstone
dougt wrote:
I added trigger input jacks for all the sounds on mine so I can now sequence it with an MFB Seq-01 or similar trigger seq to make my own patterns.

Are these standard negative going triggers (ie to ground?). I haven't gone so far as to mod either of my KR-55s yet but I had some mixed results with testing.

Any drum machine that has individual level controls (as does the KR-55, at least for instrument groups) is dead easy to mod for individual outs. You can get an unmixed signal off one leg of the level pots.

Regards
Blair
Low-Gain
kr-55 ... like the cr-5000/8000 are very fun and hold a lot of potential for modifications. Lots of fun there! smile

can't wait to get both back into my system
Rod Serling Fan Club
ringstone wrote:
Any drum machine that has individual level controls (as does the KR-55, at least for instrument groups) is dead easy to mod for individual outs. You can get an unmixed signal off one leg of the level pots.

Obvious enough d'oh! I'll have to open her up inbetween other projects. Also very interested to hear more from dougt on the input mods. Might as well tear it up while I have it open. I wonder if any of the trimmers are worth bring out as pots for further adjustment or if that isn't worth the bother...
dougt
The trigger inputs for all the sounds are on the H2 and H3 connectors on the top (analog) board. Yes they trigger on the falling edge of the trigger pulse but I haven't found that to be a problem.
monstrinho
Bringing this thread back from the dead to ask a few questions. I've found that on my (unmodified) KR-55 there'a a lot of bleed through from the various instruments, even with the level pots turned fully down. For those of you who have done the separate outs mod, do you get an isolated signal on each output, or are you still seeing some bleed? I've done some preliminary experiments, and it sounds like there's still some bleed/crosstalk going on when I try to tap the outputs from the level pots. Also, anyone have any detailed information on voice modifications? I'd really like to mod the snare in particular (less noise, more click), and add some decay to the kick. There seems to be a lot of potential here, but not a lot of definitive information on doing the mods.
monstrinho
Nobody? OK, maybe with a little fuel for the fire:

monstrinho
Part 2:

monstrinho
This is officially a "genius challenge" for all of the Type A personalities out there!
D.Sabotage
dougt wrote:
The trigger inputs for all the sounds are on the H2 and H3 connectors on the top (analog) board. Yes they trigger on the falling edge of the trigger pulse but I haven't found that to be a problem.

Any chances of getting more info regarding witch pins of the H2-H3 connectors to use for individual trig ins?

Thanks
D.Sabotage
D.Sabotage wrote:
dougt wrote:

Any chances of getting more info regarding witch pins of the H2-H3 connectors to use for individual trig ins?

Thanks

Forget it, just found them. easy enough.
thenormanconquest
yeah, i modded the hell out of mine, individual outs for each drum, clock input, and trigger inputs. all super easy to do. one trick i've found is that you can't trigger the sounds unless there's no preset knob depressed (gotta slightly push another one down so that none are pressed), AND you have to hit the "start" button before it opens up the amplifier (you'll hear a very slight noise difference once you do). then you can trigger away. loads of fun.
thenormanconquest
and as far as sound mods, I'm planning on drilling holes in the top of my unit for easy access to the small trimpots on the PCB. will be easier than replacing them with pots on the case. there's about 4-6 (if I remember correctly) pots that can change the hihats and snare etc. sounds, but it's been awhile so my memory is slightly foggy. MY ASS IS BLEEDING
comradejames858
just modded mine, super easy, any chance you could share how you did the clock in mod? I like your idea about the trimpots
thenormanconquest
http://alienatedsynthesist.blogspot.com/2011/10/kr-55-clock-in-mod.htm l

all the info you need to do the clock in mod. what mods did you do? individual outs for each drum sound? trigger mods? once i get a damned clock divider/multiplier (4ms QCD), i'm gonna go nuts with that thing. though it is super handy that it has various clock subdivision outputs already on the back of the unit....
comradejames858
trig in mod so far, I plan on doing the clock in mod tonight
SEASON
Any chance of some help with wiring up individual outs?
I've tried jumping off the pots but am not getting volume control...
Had a look at various links but am getting 404 annoyed!
seriously, i just don't get it
recompas
Been wanting to pick up one of these and midi-fy it. I've done this successfully with my CR5000: https://github.com/TravisThatcher/MIDI_TO_TRIGGER_SYNC

If I remember correctly, the Korg machines clock is a different division than regular dinsync but shouldn't be hard to work out.
SEASON
Ok.
So.
Sorted out the individual outputs successfully.

Here is a short, straight but silly, demo of just the bass drum.
Tempo wound up...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/246344882" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposes=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Mod named after the facilitator.

Next is to split the BD into four channels for different treatments...
Drone on!
nybble
I did the alienatedsynthesist clock in mod which works great but it would be nice to be able to reset the sequencer with a CV signal.
Now I need to press START/STOP on the machine every time before starting the master clock so that the pattern will play from the beginning.

Has anyone added a CV input for resetting the sequencer or knows how this can be achieved? smile
egoless
Sorry for raising the topic, I did that simple, trigger in mod, to sync the KR55 with other gear... The problem is that when syncing from some external gear like Yamaha RX5, KR55 is way too fast comparing to the original tempo on RX5, like extremely faster but still in some kind of weird sync...

I also tested it with MS20, patched the modulation generator out to trigger input on KR55, and it's working, the speed alters smoothly when raising the frequency pot on MS20

With DAW it's in kind of in sync but also some weird timing going on...

Any ideas?

Much appreciated! Cheers!
PWM
First of, why do people apologize for resurrecting old threads?

Does the 55 proceed to the next step on the falling or rizing edge of the MS20s square out?
How do you sync the machine to your DAW?
egoless
PWM wrote:
First of, why do people apologize for resurrecting old threads?

Does the 55 proceed to the next step on the falling or rizing edge of the MS20s square out?
How do you sync the machine to your DAW?

I have to check with the MS20, will write later today...

With DAW I tried just sending the metronome to the individual mixer channel (hardware) and direct out it to the trigger in on KR55, it does sync, I might try making dedicated channel with that strong pulse sound (the same KR55 outputs, probably record that signal) and fool around with that. It seems it might work...

But with Yamaha RX5 , even before the mod when I tried to sync KR55 to be the master clock, then the RX5 was playing extremely slow, while KR55 was playing normal. Now, logically it's the other way around when RX5 is the master, KR55 plays extremely fast... Like it needs some divider or something to cut the speed in half or more...

Please note I suck at electronics / soldering although I think I did that simple mod like it was supposed to do in the in the instructions, IC3 pin 6 to ground, R48 for trigger...

Thx
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2