MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Logic/RME midi output problem w A-190 midi cv converter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Logic/RME midi output problem w A-190 midi cv converter
timmah
Hi guys,

this one's doing my head in tonight.

Doepfer A-190 works perfectly with midi keyboard plugged straight into it.
but if I try to sequence from logic via a rme fireface400, the gate light sticks on most of the time, sometimes triggers, but mostly just misses the notes.
I've got all the channels set correctly etc, the midi activity lights are going on the fireface, it just seems the A190 is not recognising the midi data from logic properly.

Any ideas? i've tried changing the gate and clock polarities, with no luck.

cheers
haiku-ish
did you have the latest driver ? there was a problem with the midi port 2 on the fireface 400
timmah
yup, updated to the latest driver and firmware.
got any info about the problem with midi on the fireface400?
timmah
and having tried the 'numerology' sequencer
http://www.five12.com/

I'm getting exactly the same issue. the sequenced notes are garbled, stuck and getting missed exactly the same as in logic. Gah, midi is so simple, how could the fuck it up this much? damn you RME and Apple.
haiku-ish
you can test your midi card
http://www.earthvegaconnection.com/evc/products/miditest/index.html#do wnload

Quote:
MIDI In 2 did not work reliable due to a wrongly working internal buffer fill indicator. This has been fixed in firmware 1.65:
timmah
is there something like that for OSX?

i've tried DP as well, same issue.

something to do with MIDI on the fireface i reckon. might try and pick up a cheap MIDI interface to check.
astroschnautzer
I have Imac "24, leopard 10.5.6, Logic 8.02, RME FF400 and latest drivers, and midi sync is working fine, no problems.
haiku-ish
DP and FF400 and doepfer working fine for me too...
timmah
bugger.

cheers, might upgrade to logic 8.02 (still on 8.0), and then try leopard, (still on 10.4.11)
Kent
Before you go to Leopard, let me ask what audio interface you are using.

Apple has made many changes to their FireWire Audio Driver and it has been a major pain in the nuts. The last stable version was under 10.4.9 and then all hell broke loose.
Reptil
There is also an issue with FW on power- eh oops macbook (pro)
the morons at Apple changed the TI FW chips to Agere, which doesn't work as good in many cases. (but is a little cheaper to manufacture)
Affected models begin of 2008 and all the new ones. This may compromise behaviour of firewire audio interfaces
there's a thread on gearslutz.com somewhere

I found an oct 2008 pow.. eh macbook pro, which I will pick up next month. It has the TI
AFAIK, he still got plenty since he bought up a lot of stock.. nice
www.mailamac.nl

seems like Apple doesn't want firewire audio interfaces anymore
they dumped it on the macbook (HUGE petition to bring it back)
I think it's one of those weird things they do from time to time
shoot themselves in the foot, just to feel the pain
Prism Orpheus fell in price since that happened (coïncedence?)
d'oh!
flts
Reptil wrote:
There is also an issue with FW on power- eh oops macbook (pro)
the morons at Apple changed the TI FW chips to Agere, which doesn't work as good in many cases. (but is a little cheaper to manufacture)
Affected models begin of 2008 and all the new ones. This may compromise behaviour of firewire audio interfaces

I have a late 2006 (I think) Macbook which oddly enough has an Agere/Lucent chip, although I'm guessing completely different from what the newer MBs and MBPs use. After I upgraded to one of the later revisions of Tiger - the one that included some Leopard core tech and drivers in it - it's been a clusterfuck with FW audio. My friend reported the exact same problems after upgrading to Leopard, with two interfaces (me: Metric Halo, him: MOTU, Presonus, I think only Presonus uses AppleFWAudio drivers, MH and MOTU roll their own).

I still know of only one other person who has the exact same problems (the ones people report with newer Agere/Lucent seem different). That is, FW bus resets resulting to total driver dropouts with bigger CPU / bus loads (happens every now and then with no other devices connected, and about every 5 minutes when external display is connected). So in practise, when working with Logic / Live with external display connected, I pretty much have to restart the program or reinit Core Audio every 5 minutes or even less. Either that, or working with Logic on a 13" screen (have you ever tried to get any serious projects done with Logic 8 on a 13" screen? don't) and restarting way less. Can you imagine how nice that is?

I'm suspecting this one is about Apple FW chipset drivers and the particular FW chip in this revision of Macbooks. My friend reports things still work fine in earlier 10.4 revisions and Windows XP installation on the same machine, but it's a total mess with 10.5. TBH I don't feel like downgrading to early Tiger versions for various reasons, and there are no Windows drivers for my FW audio, so I'll have to live with it until I can afford a new computer I guess. Thank you, Steve.
flts
Come to think of it, the last stable version here (and on my friend's computer) was pretty certainly 10.4.9, so I guess they changed both AppleFWAudio and the chipset drivers (or whatever causes the problems) for 10.4.10.

I think usually the .10 releases of OSX are kind of "next version compatibility" ones, that include lots of core tech and drivers from the next major OS update, so it makes sense.
Kent
Yes, I'll concur here; Tiger 10.4.9 was the last OS that was solid concerning Firewire audio interfaces.

I have found a very complicated kludge for getting things working again under Leopard 10.5.5. I purposely haven't gone up to 10.5.6 out of fear. Everything is working and I'm happily rocking 50 inputs with 54 outs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1