MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Let's talk Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Let's talk Fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
MrBiggs
Just bought my first fuzz pedal. Played with a couple at the shop where I take lessons, ended up buying one blind at Guitar Center this morning (had a 20% off coupon for this weekend). I got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle after reading several reviews and most of them mentioning the growly fuzz that one hears on the Black Keys and White Stripes albums. I've been listening to the Black Keys Brothers and The Raconteurs all week and that gnarly crunchy spitty shit that you hear throughout is just speaking to me.

I don't know much, but even through my dumb little 12w Orange Crush amp with my dumb Squier Strat this sounds so great. Plenty of dials to make it less and more ugly. Anyone else have one of these things?

I was originally looking at the Malekko Fuzz, and then the Analogman Peppermint and the Devi Ever Soda Meiser. But didn't have the patience to order the Malekko, couldn't find the Peppermint around Philly, and Muffwiggler talked me out of the Soda Meiser as a first every-day fuzz. So the Pickle won. My other pedals are a Boss DD3 and EHX Stereo Memory man that I use with the synth. I'd like to get a good Wah and a Tremelo next.
I need to go upstairs now and run my Hertz Donut through this dude.
awesome
oh yeah, the Soda Meiser would have been a bad first fuzz, i own one and love it, but only for intense, heavy world ending fuzz. the Swollen Pickle is a good all rounder, sort of like a tricked out Big Muff

the malekko would have been good too i think, i've heard it has the Superfuzz sound, octave fuzzes r my favorite

my favorite fuzz lately has been the Earthquaker Devices Tone Reaper, which has that tonebender sound
Klopfgeist
The Swollen Pickle is great; it's the key for most of the guitar sounds on The Fragile, not so much White Stripes.

I have many fuzzes:

Death By Audio Supersonic Fuzz Gun
Death By Audio Harmonic Transformer
Death By Audio Robot
ZVex Woolly Mammoth
ZVex Fuzz Factory
Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer
Devi Ever Spectacular Aenima
Devi Ever Bit Mangler
Way Huge Swollen Pickle
Devi Ever Hyperion
Pigtronix Disnortion
Boss FZ-2
MXR Blue Box
MXR Classic 108 Fuzz
Fulltone Ultimate Octave
BYOC Fuzz Face clone ("The Cum Face")
Foxx Tone Machine
Danelectro FAB Fuzz
Electro Harmonix Big Muff x3 (usa reissue, russian reissue, vintage green russian)

I might write a short synopsis of each if anyone is interested. And this list doesn't include straight up distortion pedals hihi
sduck
I've been through a dozen or so fuzzers. An original Rat is probably the best. I had a bunch of big muff pi's, the original big one was my favorite. MXR has some great ones - the distortion+ is hard to beat, and the blue box is outstanding, although I never liked the octave part of it much, and never used that. Currently a boss metal zone is holding down the fort, although I barely use it - I've got a dumble clone amp, with an amazing overdrive section - who needs fuzz?
MrBiggs
Klopfgeist wrote:
I might write a short synopsis of each if anyone is interested. And this list doesn't include straight up distortion pedals hihi

*RAISES HAND*

I'd love to understand how there can possibly be so many kinds of fuzz that one would make use of so many pedals.
The fact that my Pickle has that bandpass filter and scoop control made me kind of think that I've got it covered to a large extent.

I also don't quite grasp the diff between overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. I know that the "overdrive" on my little amp is nowhere near as velvety as what this Pickle does.
awesome
MrBiggs wrote:

I also don't quite grasp the diff between overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. I know that the "overdrive" on my little amp is nowhere near as velvety as what this Pickle does.

well in general, think of it as the amount of distortion there is. it gets higher the further up u go the chain. and one type can have attributes of another, some overdrives are chunky some are smooth, that goes for all of them tho

many distortion and fuzz pedals can achieve good overdrive sounds
antimatter
ibanez 'metal charger' is the deal

'muff fuzz' actually exists as well . . .
Gregor Samsa
Quote:

Id be really interested in hearing how the Death By audio fuzzes compares to the dwarfcraft and devi fuzzes in terms of versatility. The DBA fuzzes are pretty expensive compared to devi fuzzes, but the demos of them sound so good!

I own both a devi ever spectacular aenima, and a shoegazer, and they are both a bit tricky to use in a band situation. Both of them sound ridiculous good on their own, but as stated above, its sometimes hard to make them cooperate.

My favourite fuzz these days is the iron ether- oxide. I dont like it at all on my guitar, but on bass guitar and with my slim phatty MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Cybananna
I love fuzzes and I just got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle too. It is a good all around fuzz. Not as insane as some, but it sounds great and covers lots of ground.
Danotranto
I love fuzz too

been through many, right now im really digging a perscription electronics lady stardust with a treble booster

nasty velcro fuzz

I love tonebenders the most love love love
tuj
My fav's right now have to be the pigtronix distnortion and the wmd gc. I think a lot of people get scared by the GC, but its got the ability to do some more 'classic' type sounds. It can get really wild if you add the expression pedal. For synths, especially acid, the Boss MT-2 metalzone pedal can do some cool things; has a 3 band eq that's very helpful for sculpting your sound.
Soy Sos
I used to have a Velcro Fuzz by The Syle. I really dug it a lot. Sent it back to have a mild little repair job done on it over 2 years ago. Never got it back and now that fuckhead is completely untraceable. Do not deal with The Syle. Too bad, he had some nice stuff. Oh well, fuck him.
Oh yeah, fuzz.
MrBiggs
Cybananna wrote:
I love fuzzes and I just got a Way Huge Swollen Pickle too. It is a good all around fuzz. Not as insane as some, but it sounds great and covers lots of ground.

My ten-year-old daughter was with me when I bought the Swollen Pickle yesterday. We had a Justin Beiber movie date (woo! rock n roll!) and stopped by the Guitar Center. She thought the name was hilarious. When I brought it home, Fiancée looked at me and asked if Elliot understood what was a "Swollen Pickle." I guess it never occurred to me either. woah

In any case, it sounds great with the Hertz Donut. I need to go make some samples.

Anyone here use the Malekko Fuzz?
vmgas
the deucetone rat is pretty great
and it's the size and weight of a brick
http://www.procosound.com/effects-devices/deucetone-rat
dkcg
MrBiggs wrote:
Anyone here use the Malekko Fuzz?

I love the bass and drum machine kick through it.

Also love the wattson for classic fuzz, the prunes and custard gives a weird almost resonant filter sounding overdrive, very nice before the fuzz/ Also love my Octo'59 for the strat to get that octave fuzz sound.
plord
I've had and sold a Hermida FuzzFace and a bunch of Tonebender clones, but what's on the pedalboard right now is an Analogman Sunface. You turn it on and it makes the sound. The sundial on mine will get into ripped speaker territory with a little tweaking, but mainly this is a straight up cream fuzz that cleans up when you roll back the volume. Great pedal.
Babaluma
haiku-ish on here built me an amazing germanium fuzz face with NOS parts last year. that thing sounds incredible! you can hear it on ebowed bass guitar in this track:

http://soundcloud.com/babaluma/cataluma-black-friday/
MrBiggs
I like the sounds I hear on the Octo 59 that dkcg mentions. I've read that different pedals handle different guitars better and worse. Mostly a single coil and humbucker thing. You guys find this a truth?

Edit: Holy shit. $499 for a fuzz pedal? Did Wowa Cwejman have a hand in this thing?
digitalganesha
The Death By Audio stuff is really awesome and it's not THAT expensive when you look at other boutique fuzz makers. Devi Ever can hardly be compared since they are made in huge quantities and have 100 different fuzzes, where DBA only has 3 ( I don't count the Robot, it's a really different circuit and kind of a specialty pedal (it's also my least favorite of theirs)).

The DBA Fuzz War is a simple, straight up Fuzz comparable to (but much better than) the old style Big Muff. I find it has much wider tone possibilities and less MUFFled sound. It's awesome.

Great guys too. Been in their lab a few times, played with every creation they had until 6AM, etc. If you really want an awesome pedal, the Super Interstellar Overdrive is fucking bonkers!
mr big
[quote="MrBiggs"]
Cybananna wrote:

In any case, it sounds great with the Hertz Donut.

a swollen pickle and a donut? you definitely want to keep your daughter out of the room for that session. lol
Gregor Samsa
Quote:
The Death By Audio stuff is really awesome and it's not THAT expensive when you look at other boutique fuzz makers. Devi Ever can hardly be compared since they are made in huge quantities and have 100 different fuzzes, where DBA only has 3 ( I don't count the Robot, it's a really different circuit and kind of a specialty pedal (it's also my least favorite of theirs)).

yeah, i dont know, i think ive gotten an unfairly bad view of them. I sometimes lurk on Ilovefuzz.com and they're not very popular over there. But still a 150$ feedback loop still seems a bit expensive. I just wondered if the other pedals where that expensive, compared to what you get, but they really seem to be fun to play with. A place to bury strangers, skywave and some of the other bands that ive seen use a great deal of DBA stuff, have a great sound!
Danotranto
the melekko is based on a univox supa fuzz clone i believe, which is freaking rad

another awesome but forgotten fuzz is the fender blender

tronbetta pedals are really cool takes on fuzz, very unique

I had a death by audio interstellar overdriver and it was the coolest overdrive Ive ever had..overdrivey with a bit of fuzz in it, very cool simple pedal

heres a fun clip of a treble booster into a mk1 tonebender clone into a compressor-

this was the fuzziest i could do
pls excuse the blooze

http://soundcloud.com/dano80/fuzz-war
djinnwithin
Mosrite Fuzzrite!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1