MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Is Wiard in Euro dead?!?!? or just sleeping....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Malekko Heavy Industry Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Is Wiard in Euro dead?!?!? or just sleeping....

johnnywoods

Just curious...
the only announced Wiard module that hasn't seen release is the Anti-Envelope. I'm wondering if that was to be the "end of the line" for Malekko Wiard. I know Josh/Grant like to keep their cards relatively close to their chest, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have every Wiard/Malekko module, and I love them to pieces... but I see Malekko moving on to other designs (which are also fantastic), and I'm just wondering if I should lower my expectations for future Wiard stuff. seriously, i just don't get it

ignatius

curious as well. it does seem that malekko has other things on the horizon. the triple oscillator looks pretty interesting. i wonder if there are other digital modules in the works and if the series of 4hp modules will wrap up some time soon? the Qasr and VCA and weren't there others?

i think josh has a pretty heavy work load. so many pedals and various irons in the fire. hopefully we'll hear some news soon.

Wiard Wiard

mono-poly

I hope the JAG will come to one day.
And the mixolator razz

Votek_Mendo

mono-poly wrote:
I hope the JAG will come to one day.
And the mixolator razz

love

jenamu6

SlayerBadger! unveil.....please? SlayerBadger!

wavehead

Wiard is the only reason I am still in euro format, so I hope this is not true. I doubt it is, it just seems like a lot of delays have come into place. Remember that the Wiard designs are being produced by josh, not designed by him... it is totally up to Grant when or if any of these things come out.

I really doubt that Josh isn't replying to the 3 trillion Anti-Envelope questions because he never has any intention on releasing it.

Entrainer

WTB: Anti-Envelope

Reptil

+ 1 billion
you can't rush genius though hihi

grantrichter

johnnywoods wrote:
Just curious...
the only announced Wiard module that hasn't seen release is the Anti-Envelope. I'm wondering if that was to be the "end of the line" for Malekko Wiard. I know Josh/Grant like to keep their cards relatively close to their chest, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have every Wiard/Malekko module, and I love them to pieces... but I see Malekko moving on to other designs (which are also fantastic), and I'm just wondering if I should lower my expectations for future Wiard stuff. seriously, i just don't get it

Well, if you have looked at the recent video of "Archangel's Thunderbird" you will know Wiard is not dead. I have just been enjoying being an artist and making music and videos rather than doing R&D.

There were a couple of attitude issues in myself I had to deal with. The Uncle Oscillator proved that the Euro-rack infrastructure is not stable enough for advanced designs. If the +/- 12 volt supplies were reliable, there would not have been any waveform glitches.

So at first I didn't think that it was possible to continue designing for +/- 12 volt systems where you can not count on the power supplies to be calibrated. But Cary Grace has encourage me to look at it as a design challenge rather than a dead end, so I have recently been working on solving the problem of internal shunt regulators to develop precision references that are independent of the power supply absolute value.

And I think I have it solved, so I can get back to working on finishing the remaining designs in the series.

There will always be the problem of the bussed ground system being noisier than the star grounding we use in the 300 series, but that is the difference in cost and people shouldn't expect professional results from an infrastructure designed from the ground up as "starter" systems and not full professional audio.

There is a rumor that Graham Hinton of Hinton Instruments may be introducing professional grade power supplies for the Euro format. These would have professional grounding techniques and adequate power conductors. Graham is one of my heros and his "Switchmix" module is the best I have ever seen (stainless steel faceplates no less).

So the simple answer is "No" Wiard is not finished with the Euro marketplace. I have had to learn the short comings of the Euro-rack infrastructure and how to adjust my design technique to compensate. That took some time.
Cthulhu

dogoftears

The Lord of All Wogglebugs has spoken... nice to hear from you Grant smile

I for one would vote for a Euro-JAG. My Blacet system always stays at home, i would love to have a gig-able JAG.

What exactly is the idea behind the anti-envelope?

Entrainer

ignatius

thanks for the info grant.

jonkull

grantrichter wrote:
So the simple answer is "No" Wiard is not finished with the Euro marketplace. I have had to learn the short comings of the Euro-rack infrastructure and how to adjust my design technique to compensate. That took some time.
Cthulhu

I'm happy to hear this. I plan on rebuilding a Malekko/Wiard system sometime this summer. I really enjoy your modules and miss having them on my desk.

plord

Thanks Grant!

rico loverde

awesome news. thanks Grant we're not worthy Wiard

dequalsrxt

Ahh this is good. Interesting to hear about the potential Hinton power supply too.

Jason Brock

I'm glad to hear Wiard will continue to develop for the format. These are my favorite modules! screaming goo yo

I'm also curious to see what develops on the power supply front.
The PSU I tried recently claimed it would be the "cleanest" due to the technology used, but I actually found it to have a more background noise (a lot more, actually) than every other PSU/bus board I have tried.

Strangely enough my MFB power/MIDI bus board was probably the quietest out of all the ones I've tried so far. I say "strangely enough" because a lot of people around here think of the MFB stuff as being cheap and poorly built.

lukas412

I'm really curious about the PSU as well. I am using a Power-One 3.4 amp supply, I've calibrated this to as close to +/-12 as I can with my multimeter and I still get the glitch in the Uncle osc. Seems there has been a lot of back and forth as to why that glitch occurs and to whether or not it was part of the design. Would be nice to get a clear explanation about that one.

boramx

This makes me curious-

Do frac type +/- 15v also have this "issue"?

could someone briefly explain to me what is different with the grounding and calibration of a typical euro power supply/bus and a "professional" grade psu?

Rod Serling Fan Club

I'm very curious about the power supply issues myself. Everything I’ve read on this issue is kind of vague and not very scientific. Some of the same exact power supplies are being used in 5U, frac, and euro (namely power-one, condor, and some of the diy supplies like CGS). So what distinguishes a good power supply and distribution?

Low-Gain

Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks the current power structure is !@#$'d in Eurorack format.

boramx

Low-Gain wrote:
Glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks the current power structure is !@#$'d in Eurorack format.

i'm glad you're glad. but please help us understand what the !@#$% is wrong with +/-12v and the Euro bus design.

We want to know why our infrstructure is not "professional".

Is the "star" system Grant speaks of a way in which the grounding is distributed directly to/from the voltage regulators instead of along a sequential bus?

i remember Kevin from FoH telling me not to wire my DIY PBs serially but rather go direct to the bus board for each of them. i wondered if this was a similar idea.

Low-Gain

boramx wrote:
Low-Gain wrote:

i'm glad you're glad. but please help us understand what the !@#$% is wrong with +/-12v and the Euro bus design.

We want to know why our infrstructure is not "professional".

Is the "star" system Grant speaks of a way in which the grounding is distributed directly to/from the voltage regulators instead of along a sequential bus?

i remember Kevin from FoH telling me not to wire my DIY PBs serially but rather go direct to the bus board for each of them. i wondered if this was a similar idea.

i have started 1-2 threads discussing power, and ranted in at least 1 or 2 others here on muffs. in all of those threads there is some great discussion on grounding and power.

Some great reads on misc electronic subject, but all revolved around
the discussion of star grounding.

http://www.aikenamps.com/StarGround.html
http://svconline.com/news/avinstall_technical_grounding_theory/
http://www.epanorama.net/wwwboard/messages/1942.html (some good reading on this forum!)

Rod Serling Fan Club

So how would star grounding be implemented in euro? I assume it would be part of the distribution design as well as the power supply. When I look at frac, which I am told implements “star” grounding, I have a difficult time discerning what is different about it as compared to euro. Is it a problem with just the power supplies and distribution boards in euro or is it a problem in the actual modules as well? I’m really trying to wrap my head around this.

infradead

subscribing. neat read

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Malekko Heavy Industry Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4