MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The modular/analog basics ?? good reading ?? any advice ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author The modular/analog basics ?? good reading ?? any advice ?
cavage
hello

what do you people advice as a reading on the subject of analog synthesis / modular basics ?

like modular synthesis for dummies ...

like if one knows nothing about cv/gate triggers voltage etc ...

thx !
Soy Sos
Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls (Paperback)
by Allen Strange (Author). This book is amazing and sadly out
print. I borrowed a copy from my local library. Look for the 2nd edition.
It changed the way I think about synthesis, but I don't think it's worth
$150. Hopefully it will be reprinted someday or a t least someone
will do a good PDF.
cavage
thanks

i should have noticed that i am looking after something on-line, pdf ...

and yes, hehe, 150 dollar for a book is insane to me , i have enough with my expensive modular hobby wink
Soy Sos
You may be able to find a PDF. Let us know if you do.
chinard
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/G2Pages/
is a great place to start

Mostly intended as a guide for the Nord G2 Modular but since it is based on modular theory and practice it easily translates to hardware modulars.
consumed
google for the arp 2600 manual, its excellent.
also check out the serge manual.
xart
thumbs up
Moog$FooL$
STEAL THIS BOOK
http://www.viprasys.com/vb/f67/electronic-music-systems-techniques-con trols-ebook-rapidshare-92670/[/quote]

uuggghh!! that's a rar file.... i'm clueless with those, as in major hassle to open it!!!

is there a zip anywhere??
dkcg
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
STEAL THIS BOOK
http://www.viprasys.com/vb/f67/electronic-music-systems-techniques-con trols-ebook-rapidshare-92670/

uuggghh!! that's a rar file.... i'm clueless with those, as in major hassle to open it!!!

is there a zip anywhere??[/quote]

It's not a pdf, it's a format with a reader executable file (windows program). I was hoping for PDF, but no biggie. I got the softcover book. It was $80 used on amazon, but well worth it, and hell, how much is a good college textbook these days anyhow?
Glitchmachines
dkcg wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:
STEAL THIS BOOK
http://www.viprasys.com/vb/f67/electronic-music-systems-techniques-con trols-ebook-rapidshare-92670/

is there a zip anywhere??

I can sendspace the PDF to anyone who wants it.. let me know..
Moog$FooL$
thanx folks!

i just got winrar sorta figured enough to start printing it.... took awhile!!

now i just need a 3-ring large enough to store this! angry
xart
thumbs up
dkcg
Holy shit, when did the prices go up so much? I bought a used copy just in November for $80 and I thought that was a lot for a used technical book. I just looked on Amazon and they start at $166 now for an "acceptable" copy. eek! angry
cbm
Sound on Sound had a pretty good, long running, series called Synth Secrets:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Babaluma
i recently paid primis online about $15 for a downloadable/printable version as a back up to my text copy. well worth it. a .pdf would be nice though!
amnesia
to be honest just plug n play :-)

I find books get in the way of creativity and exploration
cavage
on a "pedagogic" side and regarding the fact that i am looking for something " for the dummies", i found the analogue cottage looks like the most comprehensible for someone with no knowledge at all in analog synthesis...
but how many pages is this because if chapters are not longer than the two first free ones then i guess 20 bucks is a bit expensive ...

the arp 2600 manual is also effectivly surprisingly pedagogic for a user manual, reminds me of SCI prophet 2000 manual wich was more a digital/analog propaganda theory (!) than a user manual itself smile
but this arp manual makes me too much want to have a 2600 in front of me ... what a pain !

can someone let me know how consistent is the analog cottage then i will see if it is worth paying 20 bucks ?

regards
xart
cavage wrote:

can someone let me know how consistent is the analog cottage then i will see if it is worth paying 20 bucks ?
regards

Andre Stordeur was my mentor for a short time he is an excellent teacher.

He also taught me that Musick is not a classroom with its rows of desks and one teacher komponent . . .
MyPasswordIs123456
THANK YOU SO MUCH

I was resilient shelling out $ for the dreaded DRM locked primis ebook.
I even heard the scan quality was quite horrible.

Long live to the digital knowledge we're not worthy , keep on leeching.
Reese P. Dubin
The second edition of the Allen Strange is an excellent primer for pretty much everything basic and not so basic in analog synthing. I alrady knew the gist of most of it before I got the book, however it does cover alot of good mathy type stuff that I have no idea about at all.

I was thinking of making a .pdf for freinds but man, scanning 260some pages is not something I relish the idea of.
cavage
rahhhh

i tried to print the stuff and the printer drinked all my black ink until page 35 !!!

tssss
cavage
xart wrote:
cavage wrote:

regards

Andre Stordeur was my mentor for a short time he is an excellent teacher.

He also taught me that Musick is not a classroom with its rows of desks and one teacher komponent . . .

hello

do you have a contact for him because i sent an email on the book web-page to ask how to pay for it and i got the message back ( undeliverable) saying the email no longer exist :(
xart
I have lost all contact with him...it has been over a decade...I think he may be back in Europe.
The person who MAY know where he is now... Grant at Wiard. (give him a ping)

Just for some fun 4 thee wigglers:

http://www.mlswebworks.com/meme/gatherings/g032198.html

http://www.mlswebworks.com/meme/gatherings/g051097.html

Andrés Serge = it is difficult kneeling before an abstract beauty!
cavage
hehe

no offense, but all those guy look like they keep theyre wearing from the 70's smile
each time i look at photos of big adults guys like that ( erm erm i am a 36 years old kid wink ) i always feel frustrated because i would love to hear a recording of theire journey meetings smile

just curiosity wink
chamomileshark
I too got the Allan Strange download from Primus.

Another book which I found online was the "Gold Book" , ie the manual for Serge systems. It's similar to the ARP 2600 book in that it is both a general introduction and specific about one system.

It's interesting because perhaps it's the only "West Coast" synthesis based book(?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2