MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Wah, me worry?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Wah, me worry?
Cybananna
I'm planning on getting a used (cheapish) Wah. I've never really used one and I really can't bear to watch another You Tube video of some guy that thinks I care how much he thinks he's Jimi.

I want to use it (probably after?) lots of fuzz. The sounds I'll be looking for are in what's typically know as "stoner rock" and some of the messed up fixed position type stuff that Helios Creed does. Also some blasting noise guitar! I'm not looking for magic tone. In fact, if I read or hear the word tone one more time I may jump off a cliff. I've got plenty of fuzz, just need a wah.

Since there's a million Wahs out there, I'm not sure where to start. Crybabys are cheap used. I noticed a silver label "original" crybaby and a black label "original" crybaby. Also a fasel crybaby.

Any thoughts on these or any other recommendations. I'm willing to buy new or a more expensive one, but id prefer cheap, since I don't even know if I'll like it. The local guitar stores don't have crap to try...
Muff Wiggler
i don't know a lot about them, but in my experience crybaby's get scratchy pretty fast. I guess any of them that use a pot will get dirty and scratchy

i've always liked Morley's Wah's, they use an optical coupler to the wah pedal part so it never gets scratchy

and the couple i've owned (one late 70s which i hate myself for selling) and an early 80's one both sounded awesome to me.
felix
I always preferred the tone of vox and cry baby wahs over the Morleys, but I by far preferred how the Morleys felt.

They always had this wonderful smooth travel and the later models had an auto-shut-off when you took your foot off the pedal and it returned to the "all the way up" position (they were spring loaded).

The downside was that you couldn't do the ol' "wah at half position mid range skronk" sound.

there's quite a number of wah manufacturers out there now. Snarling Dogs used to make this ringmod wah thing call the "mold spore" or something like that, it was rad. I'd google around for some wah brands before you go out shopping too.
Cybananna
felix wrote:
an auto-shut-off when you took your foot off the pedal and it returned to the "all the way up" position (they were spring loaded).

The downside was that you couldn't do the ol' "wah at half position mid range skronk" sound.

At least right now that's a killer for me because that is exactly one of the things I do want to do.

sounds great for usual use though.

Sucks that the only place that has more than two pedals is an hour away...

thanks for the thoughts.
flts
I got an EHX Crying Tone wah from the '70s... The pedal actually says "big muff pi crying tone". It has 4 adjustable sweep ranges (from bassy to trebley), polarity reverse for the pedal, and it works both as volume and wah pedal. The pot was really scratchy but I cleaned it (should clean a bit more) and now I love it.

If you can find one for a reasonable price, get it - doesn't seem like too many have heard about it but it's a little gem, and if you don't like the sound, you can probably get it sold pretty well since they are kinda rare. lol I think they also had some model where there's Big Muff fuzz and that wah circuit together in one box, but I haven't ever seen one...
Kent
Big ups for the EHX wahs. They sound really good. I kept the Queen Triggered Wah (looks like an O.G. Battlestar Gallactica ship) and sold the Wah/Fuzz. They're all really great.

Another good series is anything that carries the brand name: "Foxx".
flts
I've heard Colortone wahs also rock, but good luck finding one cheap in good condition. They probably did a million different ones though - some with volume, some with fuzz, different circuits or sweep ranges...
chromium
flts wrote:
I've heard Colortone wahs also rock, but good luck finding one cheap in good condition. They probably did a million different ones though - some with volume, some with fuzz, different circuits or sweep ranges...

I have a Sola Sound wah that has long been my favorite. I think they rebranded 'em as "Colorsound" at some point(?), so I thought that might be the one you are referring to.
flts
Yeah, I think Sola Sound is the British company that made 'em and at some point they started using the Colorsound name for the pedals at least.

"Great sounding Colorsound pedals were manufactured during 70s by Sola Sound in London"
Kwote
This may sound unconventional but I like running my guitar through the I/O and filthy filter for wah kinda sounds. Send the gate out from the I/O to an LFO then send the LFO to the freq cv of the filter. I keep the attenuation down pretty low and the resonance around 9:00

It’s definitely more of an auto wah sound than a foot controlled wah but I digs it.
plord
I've got a Buddha Bud-wah, the sweep range is very large which I kinda dig, but on the downside the very top of the range will sometimes send a downstream fuzz into oscillation. I may move the pot center freq one notch and see if that helps, but I do like a brighter wah compared to one that closes off completely. Not that cheap, also, so perhaps not what you're looking for.

I've had a couple of crybaby's, they're ok, they DO get noisy awfully quick. Have you considered a BYOC?

I get most of my filtery guitar sounds out of the Mutron. It's as cliched as a distorted 303 but I just can't hate on it, and in the loop of the Walker it really chunks things up.
NV
Not exactly a cheap wah and likely difficult to find used (and sometimes even new), but if you're looking for a great wah pedal consider the Real McCoy Custom wahs from Teese. They have a great lineup, but the RMC3 is my idea of a modular synth user's wah pedal.

There are a few sets of trimmers and 9-position DIP switches inside the RMC3 pedal which adjust every parameter people care about on a wah pedal - low and mid frequency emphasis, volume, filter Q, filter sweep range, and fine tuning for the obsessive types. It takes a bit of practice getting used to how it works but the payoff is far worth it for those times when you're just not getting enough bite out of a fuzz-wah chain, you're trying to work within a tight frequency range, or you decide you want a more vocal or deeper wah sound.
flts
NV wrote:
Not exactly a cheap wah and likely difficult to find used (and sometimes even new), but if you're looking for a great wah pedal consider the Real McCoy Custom wahs from Teese. They have a great lineup, but the RMC3 is my idea of a modular synth user's wah pedal.

Yeah, I've pretty much heard the same thing about RMC - if you want to buy a wah new and are prepared to spend some, they're one of the options that constantly get recommended.
Cybananna
Thanks for the ideas, but I found what will work for me for now.

scratch n dent moog EP-2...

...with my TM-2. Sounds great, works well, only cost about $30 additional!

It doesn't matter that I can't stomp it on / off with the pedal. I'm just learning how to use one anyway.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1