MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

A-185-2 Precision Adder Thread
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author A-185-2 Precision Adder Thread
vav
So i bought one to use as an octave changer with my sequencer(s), the idea being get a sequence going, use the A-156 to quantizer and the A-185-2 to shift octaves.

It's not really working as i thought it would, and it must be the only Doepfer modules in existence without a manual featuring patch suggestions.

Anyone have an experience with it want to shed some light on this?

Edit: Figured out, see below in thread.
vav
Actually, now i have it working the way i wanted using the AFG, utilizing the second 1v/oct input. One is patched from the CV Adder, one is patched from the Sequencer. I suppose using multiples is in order.
swiv
I was looking at ordering one of these. I was under the impression you could patch your sequencer CV out into the A185's 2nd cv in, set the toggle to +, then add/subtract the normalled +1v from the other channels as needed and take the output from the bottom section. hmmm..... Does it work this way?

Thanks
vav
swiv wrote:
I was looking at ordering one of these. I was under the impression you could patch your sequencer CV out into the A185's 2nd cv in, set the toggle to +, then add/subtract the normalled +1v from the other channels as needed and take the output from the bottom section. hmmm..... Does it work this way?

Thanks

You sure can, although it'll take some tweaking to get it right. I'm gunna do some audio demos tonight, i think.
felixer
fun patch is to drive one vco from a +ouput and another one from the - output. next step is to connect a ringmod between the two osc .... love
edit: plug the cv source into input 2,3 or 4. i use input 1 (with att) for pitch modulation from env.
vav
I'm uploading some audio to soundcloud now so everyone can hear how it works.
giorgio
sounds like y'all are overcomplicating things: i put the cv that i would have normally put to my VCO into this guy instead, into the 2nd input. i ignore the first input most of the time and leave it off. then then bottom 2 switches will give me btwn -2 and +2 octaves of shift.
vav
here you go: http://soundcloud.com/vavmusic/doepfer-a185-2-precision-adder

Here are the patch notes:

Audio path is Sawtooth out from AFG (tuned to C3) -> Malekko Borg 1 -> Doepfer A-138 -> Internal soundcard -> Tracktion.

Octave switching is acheived by Doepfer A-185-2 "+" output to AFG 1v/oct. Nothing inputs to the A185-2.

For the melody, patch as follows: Analogue Solutions SQ8 CV -> Doepfer A156 -> AFG 1v/oct

Clocking is from a Bubblesound uLFO Pulse.

The wacky octave changing at the end of the clip is from the Encore Electronic UEG in Sequencer mode patched into the attenuated input of the Precision Adder and clocked division /8 of the Doepfer A160 clock divider. (Note to swiv: i didnt tweak the UEG at all, so you could probably fine tune each step for exact octave shifts like you were talking about)

Notes on what you're hearing: The movement of the sound is a clocked Malekko Envelator into the Fc of the Borg 1. The Borg 1 is also set for VCA mode, fully Low Pass, and the Gate Output of the SQ8 is patched to the Borg's Key in. (Side note: The pseudo-delay your hear when the Envelator raises the Borg's frequency is by skipping Gates on the SQ8..spefically steps 6 and 8 have their pots pulled to the Out position, thereby not firing a Gate. The Borg 1's Vactrols are sloppy long and take a while to decay, hence the delay-like effect. These two modules are a match made in heaven)

The octave shifting is acheived with the Precision Adder switches. I didnt document what i flipped when, but really now, + is up an octave razz
miminashi
I got one of these to increase the usable range when driving the modular from a 303. Very handy. I like the buffered outputs and the ability to add uniform modulation to multiple VCOs. I could even see getting another.
swiv
thanks for the demo thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
Necroing this thread as I have a question:

In the description it says: Do not insert patch cables into the CV input sockets while the other end of the cable is open. The A-185-2 features high impedance inputs. Cables with open ends will cause random voltages. The other end of each patch cable must be connected to a voltage (e.g. sequencer CV output, USB/Midi-to-CV interface CV output, LFO output, ADSR output, Theremin CV output, ribbon controller CV output and so on).

Any idea what sort of random CV it outputs? Is this dangerous? Can it be used as a random CV ? It's the first time I run into such an abnormality, I don't understand why high impedance inputs would react this way. Any ideas?
birdydy
Nothing dangerous certainly, but yes if nothing's at the other end of the cable, you get some drunken varying cv out of it. Why not use it as random after all indeed ! As for the "why", I pass.
Paranormal Patroler
birdydy wrote:
Nothing dangerous certainly, but yes if nothing's at the other end of the cable, you get some drunken varying cv out of it.

I'm a bit worried that the "certainly" is not so certain. What range is the drunken voltage, have you checked? I am looking to buy this module used either way but until that happens I would like to know about this as it's alarming that Doepfer would mention it as an Achtung!
birdydy
I haven't made any measurement - I'm not with my gear right now, but if I remember I'd say it swings in someting like a +-2 V fashion, maybe less (judging by the sound made my osc when hooked to it). But maybe someone can be more precise here. At least this has happened quite a few time with my two a-185-2 units, out of distraction, and it never damaged anything.
Paranormal Patroler
Thank you my kind sir. At +/- 2V that indeed might be considered a feature thumbs up
flo
Strange, considering that patching to the destination first is usually best practice patching...
felixer
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
I don't understand why high impedance inputs would react this way. Any ideas?

nature of the beast: any hiZ input acts as an antenna, picking up radio/tv signalsm, transformer/psu noise and the hum from your body. try a cable plugged into a valve guitar amp and you'll hear the familiar buzz. same thing, except here it comes out as a voltage ...
but hiZ is good as it doesn't load the source. so you don't get any drop in voltage if you connect several inputs to the same output.
loZ is preferable from a technical standpoint, but that only works if the outputs have decent drivers to generate the current that will flow thru this lower resistance without collapsing. in eurorack there are no standards for that so it's up to the individual makers. so it varies quite a bit ...
hiZ inputs are able to deal with any signal, even if it's a bit feeble ...
Paranormal Patroler
Ah! That makes sense. Thank you felixer. So this is a true random source if I've ever seen one hihi
bonjourmyfriends
I'm still a bit cloudy on what this module actually does - never touched one and the Youtube demos are slim. This modules adds CV, so if a sequencer's CV is going it, it can sorta transpose out, up to one octave?
adnauseam
bonjourmyfriends wrote:
I'm still a bit cloudy on what this module actually does - never touched one and the Youtube demos are slim. This modules adds CV, so if a sequencer's CV is going it, it can sorta transpose out, up to one octave?

It's got four channels, all normalled to 1 volt.

In the left most position the channel adds -1 V to the output
in the middle 0
and in the right position it adds +1 V to the output.

There are in fact three positive buffered outputs and an inverse (negative) buffered output.

Channel one will act the same unless you use the built in attenuator.

Each channel also has an input allowing you to insert your own voltage source instead of the normalled 1 V.

Great for transposing but really great for mixing multiple sources for pitch sequences.
droningsphagettimonster
this module makes a big difference.
maudibe
hard to imagine a sequencer based rig without one or two of these. I's also a performance tool for those wiggling 'live'. Very useful. Guinness ftw!
handsomepanther
I've been thinking about picking up a Doepfer A185-2, was wondering if anyone knows of any video links that feature this module. seriously, i just don't get it

I checked out the Disting Precision Adder Algorithm Vid to get an understanding of what this can do, but the Doepfer has so many more inputs and nice switches so I'm assuming you could get some pretty interesting things to happen by combining multiple lfos or gates with one of these..

anyone care to share some details about this? how it would stack up against a Disting, obviously the Disting can do a bunch of other things too, but solely as a Precision adder, it seems like the Doepfer can do so much more..

Checkered Flag
MindMachine
handsomepanther wrote:
I've been thinking about picking up a Doepfer A185-2, was wondering if anyone knows of any video links that feature this module. seriously, i just don't get it

I checked out the Disting Precision Adder Algorithm Vid to get an understanding of what this can do, but the Doepfer has so many more inputs and nice switches so I'm assuming you could get some pretty interesting things to happen by combining multiple lfos or gates with one of these..

anyone care to share some details about this? how it would stack up against a Disting, obviously the Disting can do a bunch of other things too, but solely as a Precision adder, it seems like the Doepfer can do so much more..

Checkered Flag

There are a few on MF somewhere. A wiggler did one video that absolutely shredded and showed about every wonderful aspect of this module (Octave switcher, buffered mult, etc.). I will try and find it. It is what convinced me.
nectarios
I have one and would have preferred to have two different CV outs with individual octave switching instead of applying the same "+/-" to all outs.
The "-" out helps but it's a bit awkward to get used to it.

In any case it's a must have for me, especially in a live situation.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6