MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Simple StringThing DIY project
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Simple StringThing DIY project
BugBrand
Just posted on the BugBlog - make your own StringThing::::

(click the image)

tIB
sound! Ive got an input device that I keep meaning to grab some piezos for... any chance of some plinky samples?
dan_p
Tibster, the string thing is realy great matey. Lots of fun with the modular. Super duper with delays thumbs up
tIB
^ Yeah I should just bite the bullet and order some contact mics: pretty sure soysos was using the same input device with a clamp, some piezos and some wire to good effect. I thought mounting one inside a hollow body guitar might sound nice for thwacks too?
darenager
^ Here it is running thru ext input then wavefolder, etc (erm can't remember the rest)

http://soundcloud.com/darenager/bugphonic-edge-detection
KNYST
I have to try this out. Thought about before but never got my lazy ass to it yet.
Soy Sos
tIB wrote:
^ Yeah I should just bite the bullet and order some contact mics: pretty sure soysos was using the same input device with a clamp, some piezos and some wire to good effect. I thought mounting one inside a hollow body guitar might sound nice for thwacks too?

Yup, something just like that.
But I miss those pre-amps I sold you.
Great for injecting physical object behavior into the modular environment!

I need to re-design this thing!
indexofmetals
great track darenager. I haven't tried into the bugbrand modular yet but I did a recording of the StringThing into a few pedals and a tube amp in a barn.
http://soundcloud.com/richardquirk/bugbrand-stringthing
tIB
Thank you for the demos and inspiration people... I like what I hear.

@ Soysos: rest assured it is being very well cared for and used in absolutely everything I do... love that thing and owe you long time thanks. smile
radams
anybody tried putting on a few small springs along with the strings !
darenager
^ I tried putting some springs on the strings, interesting but would be better in direct contact, if you need any springs Randy let me know I have a selection here, and happy to send you some.

The Folktek Garden is one of these with a digitech looping delay, funnily enough I have one for sale right now in B/S/T (digitech delay not Folktek Garden)

Anyway these string things work well with the modular!

You can also make a little trigger pad with these pizeo disks, quite handy too.
Paradigm X
Cool

Got 10 peizo discs lying around...

Are the strings tense or just floppy?

Nice one.
BugBrand
The strings are naturally a little floppy, but also relatively stiff - just as they come. You could possibly experiment with other types of wire, but the ends of guitar strings just work so well and if you have the ends of a full 6string set then you get a nice range of gauges.

Oh and also --- a few years ago when I made some with just raw piezos (ie without the plastic box) I made one with one or two of the strings much longer so that you could tension them a bit. Not quite the territory of 'tuned' but fun nonetheless. And another thing - even shorter pieces may be worth trying too - good for plinking and probably quite tuned because of their shorter length.
Soy Sos
I really need to put a video of the patch that's up right now.
3 different lengths and thicknesses multed and amplified into
the FM in of the uLFO in audio range. It acts as crazy organic LFO's
and audio rate modulation sources. Fun! Thanks for the re-nudge BugBrand.
Paradigm X
Thanks Tom!

Will have a go at this. Just need to get some guitar strings... new ones seem a bit excessive! Dead Banana

Hmm, theres some quite thick steel cable in the garage actually. Ill see how that pans out. Got 10 piezos so room to experiment.

Many thanks.

Going to grab a bugcrusher soon too thumbs up
muncky
just knocked one up in about 30 mins, which is pretty good going for me :-). spray painted the box, and it took longer to get the piezo disc out of it's plastic shell than it did to solder the strings on. it's going to be fun having a play with it tonight!
fluxmonkey
Plinky! (on pg 3)
BugBrand
fluxmonkey wrote:
Plinky! (on pg 3)

Haha - obviously nothing is new!
Good document that.
muncky
quick test this afternoon - great fun!
http://soundcloud.com/danjec/04-string-thing
dan_k
fluxmonkey wrote:
Plinky! (on pg 3)

Richard Lerman is great! I did a workshop with him in 2001 on piezos and building your own mic preamps. There's a lot of good notes in the PDFs on his site.

He did a cool performance where he had the piezos suspended in between two wires which he heated with a blowtorch. Cool listening to the expansion and contraction.
muncky
meant to post this ages ago when I made this with Darren Hayman - used the string thing through a Doepfer Dark Energy. Sampled that a bit et voila!

http://darrenhayman.bandcamp.com/track/a-breeze-and-a-little-piece-of- coal
dude
anybody a good link for a suitable mouser contact mic to use for this project? i can imagine so much fun with this!
dude
i probably need an electric kalimba too. poop.
muncky
I got mine in Blighty from here:
http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/sensors.html

and cracked the plastic off

and yes, it's a lot of fun hihi
dude
would sparkfun be a good place to find one of these? i have never used this sort of thing so i don't have any idea what i am looking for.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2