MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FOH power question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author FOH power question
Rod Serling Fan Club
On the site it mentions that you could use 1500ma power adapter. Is there a suggested power adapter that works? Will it work with the bigger adapter as-is, plug and play?
flight
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:
On the site it mentions that you could use 1500ma power adapter. Is there a suggested power adapter that works? Will it work with the bigger adapter as-is, plug and play?
Short answer to all: Yes.
Detailed answer:
Aside from the voltage and current minimums (12VAC and at least 150% more current than the system will draw), the rating of the transformer is irrelevant. The current rating tells you how much it can supply, not how much it pushes out. It will only supply as much current as your system demands. It's the voltage you have to be careful about.

So, for loads around 1A, I recommend a 12-15VAC 1.5A(or greater) adapter. For loads above 1A - or just for the greatest PSU stability - a 13-15VAC, 2A (or greater) is best.

The only requirement is the connector: 2.1mm I.D. x 5.5mm O.D. x 9.5mm L barrel-style connector.

Suggested adapters:
WAU12-1500
WAU12-2000
And an almighty beast: 13.5VAC, 5A
wavehead
So with that PSU you linked on the bottom I could power something like 3A from one power module? I am mostly interested in just having a lot of headroom to keep it stable, but it would be nice to know I can power that much if needed.
flight
wavehead wrote:
... I could power something like 3A from one power module? ... nice to know I can power that much if needed.

Um, no. No you can't. POWER are listed as 1A supplies. They are technically able to supply 1.5A - and maybe even more - but they are not guaranteed nor warrantied to do so.

But you could always try it and see - I'm happy to sell you another POWER if this one burns up! wink
KNYST
How about input voltage - 230V/European mains - any problem?
Any recommended adapters?
flight
KNYST wrote:
How about input voltage - 230V/European mains - any problem?
Any recommended adapters?
Heh, that makes me wonder how big the explosion would be if one actually applied 230V directly to a POWER... ka-BOOM.

Anyway, no problem has yet been reported. I don't have a way of testing it myself, but I know that POWERs are being used in the UK, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, and Norway, and I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

From Farnell:
12VAC, 1A
12VAC, 1A
I'm unsure about this one: 12V, 2A. It doesn't explicitly state AC, so you'd need to email them about it.
KNYST
Thanks flight - great info Guinness ftw!
wavehead
I just got the module, which I will be using in conjunction with the PSU in my MW case, but the MW busboards don't have any quick connectors.

Is there anything I can do to make it work with the current busboards? Can I strip the quick connectors off the wires and put them into the terminal?
flight
wavehead wrote:
Can I strip the quick connectors off the wires and put them into the terminal?

Yes, just cut the quick-connects of one end of the POWER harness and insert them into the green screw-clamp terminals.
An better - but more complicated - way (if they'll fit) is to cut the red insulation and remove it from the quick-connector (QC), then cut off the receptacle end of the QC, leaving the crimped barrel still on the wire. These are easier to insert into those terminal blacks and you don't have to worry about stray wires shorting out - again, if the barrel will fit, they might be too big.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1