MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Analogue Delay recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Analogue Delay recommendations
chamomileshark
My Korg SD400 signal delay has just gone faulty again and I'm thinking I might be better getting a NEW analogue delay.

I'd be using it mainly with the modulars, but possibly for some other synths too. I do a lot of Berlin style music.

I've looked at the Moog, but it's a bit expensive, about £450 here. One thing I did like about the Korg was that the ins and outs are easily accessible from the front, no having to reach round the back of a rack.

probably a guitar pedal would be ok, that would also be easy to set up.

I'd probably prefer a genuine analogue delay rather than an emulation - but maybe I'm being foolish in that. I tend to use the longer delays to create sequences etc.

recommendations?
bphenix
There are tons and tons of great options in the pedal form. Without knowing a what your minimum maximum delay length needs to be here are two:

Diamond Memory Lane on the high-end
Malekko 616 on the bargain end

If you are looking at a rack mount, then an Ibanez AD202 is a nice choice or a UE-405 which gets you a compressor, chorus, and parametric eq to go with the delay. Both are a bit on the noisy side but tons of mojo.
haiku-ish
ad999 maxon, up to 1s of analog delay.
superb sounding device.
plord
+1 diamond memory lane, it sounds incredible.
sandyb
3 pages on them here:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1926&highlight=analo g+delay
bphenix
If you can find one used, I also highly recommend the Malekko "Dark" series. I have the Ekko 300 Dark and it is fantastic sounding. To me the voicing sits very well. It won't give you perfect repeats but it really thickens up the sound in such a pleasing way and at high feedback it has a nice smoothness to it thanks in part to the rolled off highs.

The Ekko 616 on the other hand has a brighter sound and includes a modulation section which is useful for a different range of sounds than found on the 300 Dark.

I picked up the 300 Dark from Analogue Haven not too long ago. They are no longer being made but there are still a few NOS floating around. AH also has a few 300 Bright. I used to have a 600 Bright but fried it so bad that Malekko couldn't repair it (I accidentally plugged the Frostwave's power into the delay). The Bright is voiced similar to the Maxon AD900.

I am definitely curious about the AD999 given Maxon's heritage. May have to grab one soon. Delays are like VCAs, you can never have too many.
chamomileshark
thanks for the suggestions, and thanks Sandy for the link. It's the BBD devices I'm after - I can only guess the delay on the SD400 is 400ms from the name - that seems to be about right.

I'm being told it may not be that much to fix. I paid I think £40 for it, spent £68 on repairs, will spend more but even so the things I am looking at new seem to be much more expensive.

hmmmm. Maybe I will get it repaired but might pick up another one anyway.
budz
Ibanez stuff can be had pretty cheap.. I have an AD190 and it has pretty good range of delay times (goes up to at least 600ms, I think maybe even more, I never thought to measure it smile. I think I picked it up for around £80 5 or 6 years ago.
Babaluma
a boss dm-2 should be available much cheaper than the moog, sound great, but are not new. they sound loads better than the newer offerings from maxon though.
MindMachine
I'm using the MXR Carbon Copy on lead synth duties. It is quite nice and priced reasonably. The EH MemoryBoy series looks real sweet for a BBD.

In fact I almost bought a second MXR, but EH keeps releasing new Memory Boy pedals, so I am waiting to see what they finish the line with, before deciding. Sun
The damn blue LED in the MXR hurts at table top height though... zombie
MikeHulme
MindMachine wrote:
... EH keeps releasing new Memory Boy pedals, so I am waiting to see what they finish the line with...

Kinda like this, you mean: http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-memory-man-tap-tempo

Uses NOS Panasonic chips, apparently. Doesn't say if it's the MN3005's though....i thought those things were v. rare?

I'm happy with my old school DMM, but this looks good if you've not got one already. That + Spring Chicken = instant sci-fi dirt with the modular smile
MindMachine
MikeHulme wrote:
MindMachine wrote:
... EH keeps releasing new Memory Boy pedals, so I am waiting to see what they finish the line with...

Kinda like this, you mean: http://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-memory-man-tap-tempo

Uses NOS Panasonic chips, apparently. Doesn't say if it's the MN3005's though....i thought those things were v. rare?

I'm happy with my old school DMM, but this looks good if you've not got one already. That + Spring Chicken = instant sci-fi dirt with the modular smile

... pretty uncanny huh??? hihi

That Spring Chicken is an awesome awesome pedal.
chocolatyshatner
I think Malekko's 919 delay pedal should be out soon (next couple of months?). According to the NAMM reports it's the cat's pajamas.
echoplex
there's a ton of analogue delays out there.
the moogerfooger is just a good delay. but the price is absolutely not reasonable.
The MXR Carbon Copy whereas is priced reasonably and at least as good as well as the moogerfooger
JohnLRice
I gots sum luv fer the Strymon El Capistan!

PrimateSynthesis
MikeHulme wrote:

MN3005's are no longer made.

Afaik, they use MN3205, low-voltage BBD's, probably from Belling or Cool Audio in China.

Which do not sound the same....
mateo
Are there any pedals that go 100% wet?
MikeHulme
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
MikeHulme wrote:

MN3005's are no longer made.

Afaik, they use MN3205, low-voltage BBD's, probably from Belling or Cool Audio in China.

Which do not sound the same....

I know they aren't in production anymore. NOS = New Old Stock, meaning they might have got their hands on a bunch of old, previously unused MN3005's...

"Delay produced using new old stock Panasonic bucket brigade chips" From the EHX.com site.
MikeHulme
mateo wrote:
Are there any pedals that go 100% wet?

All EHX delays go 100% wet AFAIK.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1