MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

folktek?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author folktek?
Nelson Baboon
Does anyone have any experience with their stuff, have any comments especially versus ciat lonbarde?

I've been offered a drumscape in trade, and I'm a little intrigued....
amnesia
I have a friend who use to sell their stuff but I hear if it breaks they wont fix it. You may want to check that.

I love the look and design of their stuff but it all sounds the same, circuit bent.
Nelson Baboon
hmmm - I don't know how I could verify that. That would not be good....

I'm not sure what exactly the general category of 'circuit bent' means as far as sound. Wouldn't you categorize the ciat-lonbarde stuff that way also?
Nelson Baboon
Found this on the folktek site:

"We do offer a warranty on all Folktek works - to be fixed and all return shipping costs paid within 6 months of purchase. After six months if a piece needs a little love, you’ll be welcome to send it back and we only ask that you pay our return shipping. This warranty does not cover damage done by the player/buyer."
burnn_out!
There was a lengthy discussion about folktek over at another noise forum. what i took from it was, folktek is art more than sound/ use. to elaborate, i think you're paying for the look or design more than the electronics contained or sounds their capable of.. seriously, i just don't get it
Nelson Baboon
interesting....but what I wonder about is whether people who conclude this about them are also people who would say the same about ciat lonbarde for instance?

I'll try to find that thread.
Nelson Baboon
hmmm - all I found at the chondritic board were a couple of people who had never used one who thought that this might be the case...

I'll look a bit further.
Nelson Baboon
thus far (more on the noiseguide forum) all I'm seeing are people who don't believe in spending much money on gear, who have never used these. These are the same sorts of people (from what I've seen thus far) who ridicule those who spend a lot on modulars, since you 'can do it all with vsts'.
sgnhh
nelson he's probably referring to this, which I started

check pages 145-147 and 154-155 of this thread. although to be fair now that I look at it I think there is an alternate way to open it.

also keep in mind that the people who post on that forum have little in common with those who post on this one. audiophile vs. trashphile, if you will (not that there's anything wrong with either, I post actively on both).
sgnhh
sgnhh wrote:

check pages 145-147 and 154-155 of this thread: http://noiseguide.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=608&postdays=0&postorder=a sc&start=2160

although to be fair now that I look at it I think there is an alternate way to open it.

also keep in mind that the people who post on that forum have little in common with those who post on this one. audiophile vs. trashphile, if you will (not that there's anything wrong with either, I post actively on both).
Nelson Baboon
yeah - I just made my way through that, and my impression is basically -
I've heard it all before. blah blah blah - the shit is too expensive - why not build one yourself?

Well, I for one can't build these things myself. That's part of why I work my job - so I can make money to buy stuff that other people build. I've made mistakes and some of it doesn't work for me, and some of it does.

But all I saw in this thread is mostly 2-3 people who seem really annoyed that anyone would actually spend $ on their music setup. They've never used the products at all. I did see somewhere in the midst of it someone (probably someone else entirely) raving about how awesome the voice of saturn sequencer is - but that about sums it up for me.

I didn't see anything of substance about the folktek there at all except for the one or 2 people who had used them and liked them.

this isn't to say that I'll like this thing if I get it in trade, or that I won't find it to be overpriced, etc. But I do love my sidrazzi, which I suspect would be lumped in the same category by these people. And I shudder to think about what they'd think about my serge, or my real sequencers, etc....

sgnhh wrote:

check pages 145-147 and 154-155 of this thread. although to be fair now that I look at it I think there is an alternate way to open it.

sgnhh
yeah I agree. for what it's worth I think the Micro Garden is a very fun instrument, although it is a limited one. but you get what you pay for. it can really shine the right setup.

drumscape on the other hand has always sounded great to me in demos, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on it.
Nelson Baboon
yeah - I told the fellow that if he were into paying the difference of the similarly discounted new prices, I'd do it. I'll see. It does look like it would be a fun instrument.
MindMachine
Nelson - have you ever considered buying a few matrix mixers and just plugging a lot of devices into them? It seems that you are into the noise thing a lot lately (and some high-end noise things). You may want to add a fairly resonable priced rack of Eurorack matrix mixers, attenuators and vca's to what you already....
I will start a new thread. I am now asking myself the same question.
Nelson Baboon
I have a serge audio matrix mixer....

I'm not sure what starting a eurorack system again will actually get me here.
landrobot
Folktek +1

If you want to do some creepy soundscape (think Cold Meat Industries material), the Folktek Micro-Garden is awesome. Or the Luminist if you have the extra cash. I got mine tonight and haven't put it down since opening it up. very cool I'll try to do some demo videos with it run through my array of filters soon.

I'm waiting on a Tetrazzi (Pete is building) as well, but may also spring for a base Cocostuber to run with it.. is that what you're going for Nelson?

What other companies are producing this genre of gear? It's a relatively new find for me in the world of music.
sgnhh
I think Ciat and Folktek are the highest profile manufacturers of electro-acoustic gear. you'll shit when you get your Tetrazzi. that used to be my main sound source. hope you have a stereo setup.

I've since sold my micro garden, tetrazzi and little boy blue to get back into euro land (now that things are more interesting and we don't have to rely on Plan B for "weird" modules).
Nelson Baboon
Well, the fellow who was perhaps going to trade me the folktek stopped corresponding when I suggested that the fairest trade would use the same % of the new price as a starting point. So, that doesn't look like a possibility now.

Have a sidrazzi (love) and am waiting on a tetrazzi....

I really like this kind of instrument - the decision (for me) comes down to whether the sound and control make it worthwhile to own one over owning a powerful modular system. I'm reaching the conclusion that some nice 'noise machines' processed through the modular would be very nice. But it comes down to (in my mind) whether the control offered by the noise machine overcomes the greater power overall of the modular.

In many cases I think that it isn't worth it to get the noise machine in addition to the modular (of course depending on your setup). But in some cases the user interface of the noise machine is so different as to offer something worthwhile - I'm certainly finding that in the ciat lonbarde stuff.

landrobot wrote:
Folktek +1

If you want to do some creepy soundscape (think Cold Meat Industries material), the Folktek Micro-Garden is awesome. Or the Luminist if you have the extra cash. I got mine tonight and haven't put it down since opening it up. very cool I'll try to do some demo videos with it run through my array of filters soon.

I'm waiting on a Tetrazzi (Pete is building) as well, but may also spring for a base Cocostuber to run with it.. is that what you're going for Nelson?

What other companies are producing this genre of gear? It's a relatively new find for me in the world of music.
Nelson Baboon
Well, I already shit when I got my sidrazzi, which is why I ordered the tetrazzi.

But I've also been through the euro thing (underling SUBJECTIVE here) and have finally decided on a Serge system ..... I agree that when compared to noise boxes in general, a powerful modular system is preferable. But I certainly have encountered nothing in my modular experience which is similar enough to the fun of playing the sidrazzi ...

After a point - can you produce the same sounds in a static moment? Well, sure...but can you have the same inspiration over time in playing/modulating the sounds? The sidrazzi gives me something different enough that I find it very worth keeping.

I went through a 'noise machine' period, and I look back very favorably on it. But there are not too many of them that I'd buy again that I feel would add to my current setup. Maybe the inm....

sgnhh wrote:
I think Ciat and Folktek are the highest profile manufacturers of electro-acoustic gear. you'll shit when you get your Tetrazzi. that used to be my main sound source. hope you have a stereo setup.

I've since sold my micro garden, tetrazzi and little boy blue to get back into euro land (now that things are more interesting and we don't have to rely on Plan B for "weird" modules).
ether^ra
Regarding Folktek...I have a number of pieces; Ben And Arius have always been ready to do repair work on their stuff. As a visual artist I am seduced by the luddite-look of the pieces and they do make a fine racket...BUT I have had a little trouble with dodgy knobs and switches. I'm a little concerned about quality control as a result and they're not cheap!...but they are interesting and I say support the artist if you can! My present back monkey is my Buchla 200e worth every penny!

http://etherra.blogspot.com/
ether^ra
Regarding Folktek...I have a number of pieces; Ben And Arius have always been ready to do repair work on their stuff. As a visual artist I am seduced by the luddite-look of the pieces and they do make a fine racket...BUT I have had a little trouble with dodgy knobs and switches. I'm a little concerned about quality control as a result and they're not cheap!...but they are interesting and I say support the artist if you can! My present back monkey is my Buchla 200e worth every penny!

http://etherra.blogspot.com/
anthonybisset
I'd like to know what circuitry is in the time machine... Anyone opened one up?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1