MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

planB Milton DIY?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author planB Milton DIY?
dkcg
Has anyone here (other than that PlanB user dude) built the Milton from the boards at BigCity? I keep looking at it, thinking that if I'm patient, I could have a homegrown milton in a few months. Even found a place that makes aluminum faceplates (a bit pricey, but worth it in the end). So...question is, how bad was it? I've never built from a PCB (only kits with parts) and know jack shit about ordering and getting all the parts together, but would love a milton, especially if I put it together the accomplishment would be very cool.

Anyone know who it's named after??
dubchild
I've heard there a lot of kinks and problems with the boards that need to be worked out when you are building them and that there is not much support, so unless you are a EE ninja, it might not be the easiest project. This is just what I have heard so don't quote me on it .
fluxmonkey
i built one, a few years ago. there were a couple of bad cap values, and i had a hell of a time getting help frm peter, but eventually figured it out.

stock, it's an ok sequencer but nothing special. the VC direction and addressable step goodies do not work as stock, which is why they put out that "a-synch" add-on board... that is PIC based, and i believe the PIC is no longer available.

perosnally, i'd recommend the MusicFromOuterSpace 16 step sequencer. i believe you can build that with multiple analog banks like a milton. the one thing the milton gives you is board mounted pots, which greatly simplifies the interconnect wiring... but also locks you in to specific pots and panel layout.

[also, personally, i'd be more careful w/ the spellcheck]
mono-poly
I got a Milton kit with a nice Wiard panel but there is 0 suport from Peter Grenader on the group.
So i probbaly won't build it all.
Reese P. Dubin
I was all set to build one a while back but found a total lack of support, some wacky chip that you cannot buy, and a mostly who cares attitude from the sellers, so...

I think there ar eplenty of other good sequencers out there. I reckon you could hack together a bunch of MFOS analog boards and pretty much cover the Miltons functions pretty well.
wetterberg
Quote:
unless you are a EE ninja, it might not be the easiest project.

fluxmonkey wrote:
perosnally, i'd recommend the MusicFromOuterSpace 16 step sequencer.
+1
dkcg
Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen. I'm still thinking about it, but the last time I was semi serious about building kits n fiddling with circuits, I wasn't makeing any music, or even sound. I think I'll just keep dreaming of a perfect sequencer and keeping thinking and looking. The Milton with it's voltage based control is high on my list of sequencers, but the more I see the TKB, the more I think about a couple Serge Panels to complement the euro stuff. But taxtime is coming, and I'll be owing money this year. :(

Shit, I got enough toys for now anyhow. lol
sascha.victoria
On top of what everybody else said, you really need to weigh in the value of your time. It sounds like you are not an EE Ninja so it could easily take you several very frustrating months to build that thing. In that amount of time / $ you probably could have bought a very functional sequencer.

Personally I'm seriously thinking about getting a Future Retro Revolution just for the sequencer. The remix function is pretty amazing and useful on top of everything else it does.
dkcg
sascha.victoria wrote:
On top of what everybody else said, you really need to weigh in the value of your time. It sounds like you are not an EE Ninja so it could easily take you several very frustrating months to build that thing. In that amount of time / $ you probably could have bought a very functional sequencer.

Personally I'm seriously thinking about getting a Future Retro Revolution just for the sequencer. The remix function is pretty amazing and useful on top of everything else it does.

I have a couple japanese swords, but I'm no ninja....
Oddly enough I was thinking about getting rid of my revolution, as a sequencer, it's ok. i want knobs tho, not buttons, and it has no microtuning, which isn't a huge deal, but it lacks some features that I would love in a sequencer, like pendulum mode, playing backwards, the remix is cool but a real random would be nice, and individual gate lengths would be great. It plays well with my system as a master midi clock or slaved to the clockworks. Has a great 303 type sound. Then I played it through the geiger counter. And now I'm keeping it for that easy to get crunchy voice i found with the two. smile

But I's still like a good full featured analog sequencer, and if it does midi too, I'll be in heaven.
Luka
i had access to buy a kit a while ago and was 99% about to buy it, but the guy went awol for a month or two and after lots of research i decided that it is a project not worth diving into unless you are up for some serious problem solving... plus you cannot get the chip so all the cool features are not available.

mfos is great, i thought about it...

klee even better (got it .. smile )
roland m185 clone.. genius!!! (need to build it)

im all for nice analog seq
but i think the milton unless it gets revised is not for diy kids
rezzn8r
dkcg wrote:
sascha.victoria wrote:

I have a couple japanese swords, but I'm no ninja....
Oddly enough I was thinking about getting rid of my revolution, as a sequencer, it's ok. i want knobs tho, not buttons, and it has no microtuning, which isn't a huge deal, but it lacks some features that I would love in a sequencer, like pendulum mode, playing backwards, the remix is cool but a real random would be nice, and individual gate lengths would be great. It plays well with my system as a master midi clock or slaved to the clockworks. Has a great 303 type sound. Then I played it through the geiger counter. And now I'm keeping it for that easy to get crunchy voice i found with the two. smile

But I's still like a good full featured analog sequencer, and if it does midi too, I'll be in heaven.

I agree with most of your comments about the revolution, but thought I would point out that it does play backwards. Hold the shift/clear button and then press play.
I love the FR Rev, but would like something with more than one track. I'd love to try building a klee, but will probably just buy the Modcan B sequencer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1