MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

what's your favorite cheap pedals?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author what's your favorite cheap pedals?
22tape
so i'm gonna be buying a Bend Matrix from 4ms. With so much money spent on the unit itself, i can't afford expensive pedals to plug into it. although with so much feedback madness, i think cheap pedals will sound lovely anyway!

so, what's your favorite cheapies? even better if they have stereo in or outs...

thanks!
thermionicjunky
I would look for used Electro-Harmonix pedals. A bunch of them have pseudo-stereo outs. The only cheap retail pedals that I've ever liked at all were Boss pedals. They had a flanger that I liked.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
alesis ineko, $100 used last time I checked

not a pedal, but god damn its awesome. My favorite is the 1 sec delay.
22tape
thermionicjunky wrote:
I would look for used Electro-Harmonix pedals. A bunch of them have pseudo-stereo outs. The only cheap retail pedals that I've ever liked at all were Boss pedals. They had a flanger that I liked.


cool. thanks. yeh the best cheaper pedal that i've heard was a Boss as well. then again, i haven't heard any of the real cheapies like Danelectro, Behringer etc..I've heard that some of them can sound pretty good if talking value for money. That's about the price range i was talking about really.

but then again....
22tape
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:
alesis ineko, $100 used last time I checked

not a pedal, but god damn its awesome. My favorite is the 1 sec delay.





.....i wouldn't mind picking up an ineko. i'd really like to get my hands on the ampliton and smashup up too, for stereo in/out coolness.

i've always had my eye on the flanger hoax as well.
Bricks
There are some pretty great circuit bends of the Danelectro Fab Echo. Considering its a whopping $15, Id say thats pretty good!!
22tape
maybe i should just add up all the money that i'd spend on cheap pedals over the next year and buy the T/M Resonator boxes smile

the nastiness that would occurr if the T/M Resonator were plugged into the Bend Matrix...feeding back into each other several times over; whilst twiddling one of the plethora of knobs that, with the slightest of twiddles, results in drastically, yet beautifully, changes to the sound

we're not worthy hyper SlayerBadger! 8)
22tape
Bricks wrote:
Considering its a whopping $15, Id say thats pretty good!!


(comes crashing back down to earth)

that's actually more like it, bricks. thanks. gonna google the mods for that.
Kent
Yeah, check out any of the Danelectro pedals. The French Toast is pretty much an Ampeg Scrambler, but actually more useful... and I've got both.

Boss also made some 1/2 rack units which are really good.

P.S. I'm selling a bunch of compressors.... let a brother know if you are interested.
panda30y
I was always fond of the Ibanez DE-7.
futuresoundsystems
BEHRINGER!!! lol
Kent
Fuck that. Don't support those rip-off artists.
plord
All of the Danelectro cheapies are awesome by a pounds-per-dollar measure.
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
Kent wrote:
Fuck that. Don't support those rip-off artists.


agreed! eek!
22tape
thanks for the suggestions guys.

i just watched/listened to a couple of DOD Buzz Box demos. it sounds pretty fricken nasty! does anyone have one of these who can comment on it?
Cat-A-Tonic
This place
http://www.noiseguide.com/
is an awesome source of info/opinons on cheap pedals.

I'm pretty happy with my Danelectro FabTone (distortion);
especially when paired with Metasonix. BOOM!

I've got one of the 18v versions of the Danelectro CoolCat (pseudo-stereo chorus).
It is alright, but doesn't get used all that much these days.
The 18v version reportedly sounds better than the 9v,
but the power supply issue is a pain in the ass.

The Boss PS-5 (pitch shifter-harmonizer) is one of my favorites.
It has an Exp. input that is great for voltage control!
I've spent a little time with its predecessors and those are good too.

The Boss SYB-5 (bass synthesizer) can be useful when you need a cheap extra digital synth voice.

The Boss PH-1R (phaser) is nice and simple. I can't fault it.

The Boss OC-3 (octave down) is alright, but doesn't get used as much as I had expected.
The Poly mode is good for subtlety. The Drive mode isn't all that great.
If you are looking for that OC-2 sound though I think the original probably does it better.

The Boss Dr. Pad (III) is great for an extra, and unusual drum voice to add to a modular drum rig.
It has trig in and mix in.
This one can be found for really cheap and is really useful IMO.

The Boss - Bass Parametric EQ is great! and pretty cheap for what it is.
I recommend it as a booster and tone shaper.
dkcg
the self-indulgent ridiculous part of me would love to hear that bend matrix loaded up with T & M Resonators. like the bastard child of the Neuronium. lol
Babaluma
i love my boss dc-2, but it's not cheap unfortunately. it's my secret weapon!
Suburban Bather
The MXR Blue Box is pretty cool. You can get chiptune sounds out of it.
lightpolite
Surprised the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone hasn't popped up.
It sounds rather predictable on guitar (chunkunk), but for a feedback inducing gain boost I love it.
Mostly, I find it really useful on electronics, largely on account of the four band EQ.
22tape
dkcg wrote:
the self-indulgent ridiculous part of me would love to hear that bend matrix loaded up with T & M Resonators. like the bastard child of the Neuronium. lol



lol
22tape
thanks for the responses guys. keep'em coming!

no buzz box users? smile
Suburban Bather
22tape wrote:

no buzz box users? smile


If nothing has changed since I last checked, Buzz Boxes are too rare and or overpriced. That was a few years ago though. They may have come down to a more sane or reasonable price by now.

Does anyone know what songs The Melvins used the Buzz Box on? I think they used it on Magic Pig Detective off of the Stoner Witch album, but I'm not sure.
NV
Since you're purchasing a Bend Matrix now might be a good opportunity to dabble in circuit bending as well. For those purposes, the generic Boss DS-1 is a wonderful palette to experiment with. Using some extremely simple bends you can invoke some surprising sounds out of the DS-1 (some of which are remarkably similar to certain boutique effects), and since you'll be modding it anyhow you could buy a used one on eBay for about $15.

This page has a brief list of some blissfully simple mods you can use for the DS-1, as well as audio examples: http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/circuitbend.htm These mods would take you all of five minutes to wire up, and you could even use a rotary switch or the Bend Matrix to access each of them as you please. Circuit bending and feedback loops pretty much go hand in hand as far as sonic intentions, so manipulating some cheap pedals may lead you to exactly what you're hoping to find.
22tape
NV wrote:
Since you're purchasing a Bend Matrix now might be a good opportunity to dabble in circuit bending as well. For those purposes, the generic Boss DS-1 is a wonderful palette to experiment with. Using some extremely simple bends you can invoke some surprising sounds out of the DS-1 (some of which are remarkably similar to certain boutique effects), and since you'll be modding it anyhow you could buy a used one on eBay for about $15.

This page has a brief list of some blissfully simple mods you can use for the DS-1, as well as audio examples: http://www.geocities.com/overdrivespider/DS1/circuitbend.htm These mods would take you all of five minutes to wire up, and you could even use a rotary switch or the Bend Matrix to access each of them as you please. Circuit bending and feedback loops pretty much go hand in hand as far as sonic intentions, so manipulating some cheap pedals may lead you to exactly what you're hoping to find.


yeh, that's the plan. i've done a bit of bending in the past. and with the added motivation from the bend matrix, i'm looking forward to getting back into it. i already have a few bending points ready to go on a realistic reverb.!

cool, thanks for the link! gonna check it out...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group