MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

merzbow 'birds" box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author merzbow 'birds" box
sandyb
i just pre-ordered the 13 cd series - with the box. i couldn't resist. d'oh!

http://www.importantrecords.com/releases/imprec230_release_page.htm

flippantminister
nice! that's a bad-ass box. i considered it for a moment, but decided modules would be more fun. razz
sandyb
flippantminister wrote:
nice! that's a bad-ass box. i considered it for a moment, but decided modules would be more fun. razz

oh - i have some of them coming too. sold a chunk of my system recently so had a bit of cash to play with smile
flippantminister
sandyb wrote:
sold a chunk of my system recently so had a bit of cash to play with smile

ah... that's the way to do it!
Cybananna
I ordered the subscription but not the box. I wil regret it i'm sure, but the box was just so expensive. I needed the money for the Metasonix KV-100!
sandyb
Cybananna wrote:
I ordered the subscription but not the box. I wil regret it i'm sure, but the box was just so expensive. I needed the money for the Metasonix KV-100!

i know what you mean. i was on and off again about the box for a few days but decided that i'd probably regret not having it when all the CDs had arrived. it is a few $$ though.
rezzn8r
from the website...
"...making this an essential and exciting entry into the Merzbow cannon."

cannon REALLY is the right word here hihi
Cybananna
sandyb wrote:
i know what you mean. i was on and off again about the box for a few days but decided that i'd probably regret not having it when all the CDs had arrived. it is a few $$ though.

You'll be glad you have it for sure. The special stuff from Important Records are nice. Unfortunately, I've missed a lot of that stuff too, like the Coil record and Boris record... waah
SoundPool
man I am sorry but I just really dislike Important. regardless of how much they have the ability to splurge on packaging and printing that label just bums me out. it has always struck me as the absolute epitome of an opportunist bandwagon imprint. Merzbow is established, crap or not you'll at least break even again with distribution orders on any title of his. LSD March- no risk there probably based on sales you will get from Aquarius alone. Boris? instant cash cow. not many people have heard of Ocean... but wait, doom metal is a hot ticket right now- lets jump on board! Acid Mother's- always a sure shot. and to top it off we can print band t shirts with our hideous logo all over them.
...sorry to be overly dramatic. but I think its true. I don't mind a label that can cover a broad spectrum provided they do it well, although I will always have more respect for a label of clear and focused vision/aesthetic. but, often times in my experience when Important picks up or releases highly capable artists what they put forward is usually their least interesting or impressive effort.
kvnvk
I've actually had a similar opinion of Important, especially that the releases from a number of artists are sub par compared to their other work.
SoundPool
glad to hear I am not the only one. aside from the stream of Merzspew that they were willing to press for some reason, one of the first things that really set off my bullshit detector with them was the Muslimgauze LP reissues. I mean who the hell wants to buy the same LP in each color of the Palestinian flag? aside from the fact that I think Bryn Jones' work was also mostly opportunistic bullshit (not that I dont enjoy some of it, more E.g Oblique Graph), that vinyl pressing seemed to me one of the worst carryover moves from garbage hardcore/punk collecting. leave that shit for Equal Vision and Magic Bullet.
panda30y
So wait... it's just a box? That'll set you back an extra 70 bucks? eek!
Cybananna
panda30y wrote:

It's a pretty nice looking handmade / screened bamboo box that holds the 13 CDs from the series. Worth $70 IMO. love

from Important Records:
ABOUT THE BAMBOO BOX:
These are hand crafted, numbered, screen printed and constructed of organic imported Moso bamboo. The box holds all 13 cds and they are painstakingly crafted, one a day, by a Massachusetts craftsman. When your box is ready we will ship it to you along with your CD for the month. Boxes will ship in the chronological order in which they are purchased. We expect to ship about 30 a month.

pictures:

http://www.importantrecords.com/bird_box/bird_box1.html
panda30y
Cybananna wrote:
panda30y wrote:

It's a pretty nice looking handmade / screened bamboo box that holds the 13 CDs from the series. Worth $70 IMO. love

from Important Records:
ABOUT THE BAMBOO BOX:
These are hand crafted, numbered, screen printed and constructed of organic imported Moso bamboo. The box holds all 13 cds and they are painstakingly crafted, one a day, by a Massachusetts craftsman. When your box is ready we will ship it to you along with your CD for the month. Boxes will ship in the chronological order in which they are purchased. We expect to ship about 30 a month.

pictures:

http://www.importantrecords.com/bird_box/bird_box1.html

Fair enough... just not my cup of tea. Coffee Addiction FTW err... coffee.
krelnarb
Quote:
It's a pretty nice looking handmade / screened bamboo box that holds the 13 CDs from the series. Worth $70 IMO.

And you can put your weed in there!
HexEnduction
SoundPool wrote:
man I am sorry but I just really dislike Important. regardless of how much they have the ability to splurge on packaging and printing that label just bums me out. it has always struck me as the absolute epitome of an opportunist bandwagon imprint.

One of the reasons I check their website and get the news letter updates is for domestic releases of stuff that would otherwise be out of print or stupid-expensive import only. Like the Space Machine, LSD March and Astro releases. For that I give them props. That stuff is pricey here in the States if it's coming direct from Japan.

The Merzbow release looks pretty rad.

Also dig the Eleh releases they've been putting out recently. Really good.

w00t
KNYST
Yeah, it's a nice wooden box! meh hihi
... and now to the music:
To me, this is the best release by Merzbow for years, probably since Sphere (2005)! The constant flood of albums finally hit something good again.
The problem with modern Merzbow: these digital outings are usually soooooo lame. On some later releases, the gear list reads 'EMS Synthi A' etc, but still sounds like filtered through a laptop. d'oh!
I'd say his best period was 1986-2001 (quite an effort!) we're not worthy
HexEnduction
KNYST wrote:

I'd say his best period was 1986-2001 (quite an effort!) we're not worthy

Agreed. I grabbed the MerzBox from a private torrent tracker a few years back and his stuff during this era, especially the mid to late 90's is really dope. The laptop era stuff is less interesting but still great compared to the countless hordes of Merz-imitation out there. As for recent output, I really enjoy some of his collabs with Boris. They're not all keepers but most of it is excellent. SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1