MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Skinny Puppy WHY?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Skinny Puppy WHY?
tdutz
I was at an impressionable age when I first heard Puppy and became a fan. They were very original for the time. Yes I agree that Ogre's vocals can be challenging to listen to . . . but listening to many of the Skinny Puppy imitators over the years since has convinced me how unique his voice really is. No other singer can match it. Apparently he has polyps growing on his vocal chords that contribute to his vocal character.

Another thing I realized after years of listening is that musically speaking Skinny Puppy's sound is almost entirely made up of rhythm and sound design. There are very few elements of melody and harmony. Not a criticism, just an observation.
noobyscooby
It was very interesting at the time and I liked the first few records but I was kinda done after Rabies. I was kinda done with EBM/"Industrial" period, by then. It was getting too rock and roll-y for me by then and I kinda just kept my old TG, Coil, Cab Volt, NWW records around after that as far as what I enjoy as Industrial music.

Listening to those early Puppy albums is a bit hard now though. Just processed with a lot of what would be now termed to be bad outboard gear that was new at the time. But thats mostly anything for me that was overprocessed and compressed in the mid80s to mid90s. Like a lot of old idm and ambient that i liked in the early 90s and revisited is very hard to listen to now even though i loved them when they were brand new. It just sounds dated.
dogoftears
i decided to compile a list of skuppy tracks from various eras that I think sound "modern" still:

cyclopeatron
First of all, I echo sentiments that the OP is pretty corny negative stuff that doesn't belong here... "I'm not trying to flame fans of this band... but the band you like sucks and I don't know why anyone likes them." Totally pretentious and posing. LOL.

On topic... I've actually been surprised SP doesn't get more love in discussions of important electronic music. Although I don't necessarily like all of their stuff, they've always struck me as clear trailblazers.

Think about it... Remission came out in 1984. That's really early for this kind of music. I can't think of anything similar from that time. That's a pretty novel combo of reverb and delay drench Roland drum machine sound, growling effected vocals, samples, dark bass sequences covered by ethereal synth lines. Even some FM sounds. Very cool, new stuff. Remission is still one of my favorite records.

Other bands people are comparing SP to, like NIN and Ministry, were more like late 80s and 90s. And IMO didn't show the same degree of innovation. Front 242 was around in the early 80s, but were more like dance music at that point.
Johnisfaster
Every single time I listen to them I end up wondering what Kevins voice actually sounds like without effects on it. I have trouble picturing exactly what it would sound like to hear him recording tracks. I imagine it kinda sounds funny.
mt3
Johnisfaster wrote:
Every single time I listen to them I end up wondering what Kevins voice actually sounds like without effects on it. I have trouble picturing exactly what it would sound like to hear him recording tracks. I imagine it kinda sounds funny.

I believe Cevin said Ogre's vocals are pretty much untreated. You can see/hear it in live vids. This is a great one.

dogoftears
mt3 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:

I believe Cevin said Ogre's vocals are pretty much untreated. You can see/hear it in live vids. This is a great one.

edit: sorry, that's a dif vid then i said below.
but i still think he's using the distortion.

no, he's using the distortion in the AIDY set for sure... (and yes that video rules. my fave is DDTH tho)... he's also using a digital delay, which he tweeks himself at a couple different points in the set.
but a lot of the recent reboot SP albums have dry ogre, as well as the "Ohgr" records.
he can easily imitate his distorted vocal it seems.
proteus-ix
richardm123uk wrote:
I love music but at the end of the day it's all just a bunch a people perpetuating an image through singing, dancing and trying to look good on stage.

"just perpetuating an image"... says the guy who shitposts about a band who did a lot more than that.

This is why you don't like Skinny Puppy. It doesn't fit the image you have of yourself. It's not Boyd Rice enough for you.
proteus-ix
rico loverde wrote:
does anyone know what they used gear wise for Too Dark Park? That album still blows me away and Ive listened to it thousands of times. I still have a hard time figuring out what was done.

In so many cases all these guys, including Reznor who gets treated like he's just a pop diva, were processing things through other things, so often the resulting sound was something even they might (probably) won't remember how it was done. There are gear lists out there, but what's more important is that they wrote good songs, then pushed their sound design beyond just making cool patches, and had enough studio skills to make it all work.
dogoftears
rico loverde wrote:
does anyone know what they used gear wise for Too Dark Park? That album still blows me away and Ive listened to it thousands of times. I still have a hard time figuring out what was done.

TDP is mostly Yamaha SY series, Prophet 5, and I believe Kawai K3. also drum kit.
kisielk
There was a recent episode of local music TV show "The Creators TV" that interviewed Bill Leeb and had a few interesting tidbits about the origins of Skinny Puppy and industrial music in Vancouver:

brianobush
ack! Blocked in my country ... because we have a silly president?
MindMachine
^ No doubt why!

I was always partial to this one (although not Skinny Puppy):

mt3
Download and Cevin Key were gateways to Skinny Puppy.
jinzae
that is some dark sh--, the underlying sounds and structure are interesting.
But, damn! A knife onstage?
mt3
jinzae wrote:

Don't worry. It's CGI.
brianobush
mt3 wrote:
jinzae wrote:

Don't worry. It's CGI.

Don't worry. It's a prop.
mt3
brianobush wrote:
mt3 wrote:
jinzae wrote:

Don't worry. It's CGI.

Don't worry. It's a prop.

Shhhhh!!! Avoid mentioning GG Allin. Lines of reality get blurry quick around these parts...
gruebleengourd
I think they're a pretty interesting band due to their unusual combination of extreme silliness and tragedy.

Taking them too seriously is a pretty immature/ 'adolescent' perspective - but it seems likely one that they themselves assumed at least some of them some of the time. Just consider their name. Or watch any of the videos of them jamming in their studio. Plain goofy. And that's fine.

Kinda like 'industrial music' in general, particularly the disco styles that SP innovated and the pseudo political stuff. Very few 'industrial' bands escape those traps, coil, zoviet france, and maybe nurse with wound are perhaps the most famous examples.

but for punky electro noisy annoy/scare your parents music for teenagers and the teenaged at heart, SP is pretty great.
proteus-ix
kisielk wrote:
There was a recent episode of local music TV show "The Creators TV" that interviewed Bill Leeb and had a few interesting tidbits about the origins of Skinny Puppy and industrial music in Vancouver:

Blocked in the US. very frustrating
proteus-ix
gruebleengourd wrote:

Kinda like 'industrial music' in general, particularly the disco styles that SP innovated and the pseudo political stuff. Very few 'industrial' bands escape those traps, coil, ZOVIET france, and maybe nurse with wound are perhaps the most famous examples.

Uh... that might be political...

But for that matter, being any kind of artist is inherently political in a society that says artists don't matter.

Withnail: What is it? What have you found?

I: Matter.

Withnail: Matter? Where's it coming from?

I: Don't look. Don't look. I'm dealing with it!
brianobush
proteus-ix wrote:

Blocked in the US. very frustrating

View through a Youtube proxy. I used https://www.proxysite.com/youtube/
gruebleengourd
proteus-ix wrote:
gruebleengourd wrote:

Kinda like 'industrial music' in general, particularly the disco styles that SP innovated and the pseudo political stuff. Very few 'industrial' bands escape those traps, coil, ZOVIET france, and maybe nurse with wound are perhaps the most famous examples.

You mean the name zoviet france might be political? maybe the name, but not so much posturing in the music.
proteus-ix
gruebleengourd wrote:
proteus-ix wrote:
gruebleengourd wrote:

You mean the name zoviet france might be political? maybe the name, but not so much posturing in the music.

Might be? Yeah ok.
gruebleengourd
proteus-ix wrote:

Might be? Yeah ok.

To continue droning on about Zoviet France.
Yeah maybe. Especially if you consider the entire trajectory of their career. The initial naming and early releases certainly had an element of cynical humor regarding politics and the industrial scene, but even then there was not overt sloganeering or ideological behavior, especially if you compared them with say test department and psychic tv, for example, or even skinny puppy and cabaret voltaire.

Later work not even so much. Maybe a joke at the expense of those in the scene that bicker on about such things.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 4 of 6