MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hafler Trio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Hafler Trio
Nelson Baboon
Perhaps this isn't the best category to post this in, but I feel perhaps the most musical affinity with the people who visit here....

I picked up 'Mastery of Money' as a freebie - a cd vendor owed me a cd, and the Hafler Trio had been recommended to me.

I think that this album is just fucking amazing. I've been recommended 'Kill the King' which I just ordered - anything else people would recommend?
xart
"BANG" - An Open Letter was THEE thumbs up one thing that got me interested in sound art....at the time I was in my early teens and I did not know if it was real or fantasy! ROBOL FTW!

Always relevant and always an agent provocateur he went on to further obfuscate 'net kulture/digital musick culture' with "Netochka Nezvanova".

Plus AMM is a serge fan thumbs up

haricots
Fuck has to be one of the most outrageous album covers I've ever seen.

Nelson Baboon
ah yes - Netochka Nezvanova aka antiorp. He/they/she drove people absolutely batty - I enjoyed watching it. I had quite a few friendly conversations with antiorp back in the day, and had a few battles with some very prudish members of various groups. I remember Steven Kay as being an absolute ass, and there were some others. I believe that I still have antiorps album - haven't listened to it in years. I'll have to give it a listen again.

xart wrote:
"BANG" - An Open Letter was THEE thumbs up one thing that got me interested in sound art....at the time I was in my early teens and I did not know if it was real or fantasy! ROBOL FTW!

Always relevant and always an agent provocateur he went on to further obfuscate 'net kulture/digital musick culture' with "Netochka Nezvanova".

Plus AMM is a serge fan thumbs up

Richard Devine

I love all of her old OS9 Max apps, 3kxp®L running on my old Powerbook.

where is she now.. . ?

PS: love all the Halfer Trio stuff, some of my favorites: æ³o & h³æ (with Autechre) A bag of cats (92). Whistling About Chickens. All beautifully haunting stuff.
Nelson Baboon
fuck yeah - I used to have that software. I wish it ran on my current computer...

I'll have to order those - that is if they are at reasonable prices. Some of their out of print stuff sells for outrageous amounts.

btw - what are the legalities about copying out of print cd's? Why would it be different than selling them used? (I know very little about this area)
Nelson Baboon
hah - first hit on the one with autechre was $100+.
monsturo
Love The Halfer Trio. They are what got me started doing noise back in the late 80s. Amazing stuff.
richardm123uk
Brilliant band, I saw H3 doing a number of shows at the Horse Hospital in London a few years ago. Brilliant stuff.
Spencer
FUCK and Masturbatorium CD's
Reese P. Dubin
Yup,
have tons of this and havent listened in years.

so good.
plord
I picked up A Thirsty Fish and All That Rises Must Converge in the mid 90s and recall liking them a bunch. It's been ages since I spun them though.
solaris
[ot] [!nt] \n2+0\ 242.buletin]

Richard Devine wrote:

I love all of her old OS9 Max apps, 3kxp®L running on my old Powerbook.

The OS9 apps were amazing.

where is she now.. . ?

I + a friend we met integer in .de around 2005 and we spent three days together, a brilliant person. When we left, we've been given a postcard saying "reality macht ganz glücklich + frei".
Still posting on nettime.ru, I think - but I'm not subscribed anymore.

[/ot]
nihilist
All the early ones are GREAT.

Even up until Redintegration....
KILL THE KING
MASTERY OF MONEY
THIRSTY FISH
SEA ORG
etc.............
Nelson Baboon
thus far I have kill the king and mastery of money. Both are excellent - my favorite of the 2 is mastery of money (though I haven't listened to all of kill the king yet). The painful factor is that so many of them are only available at extreme prices. I just won't buy a single cd for $30+
MindMachine
nihilist wrote:
All the early ones are GREAT.
SEA ORG
etc.............

Uh oh... I don't like the sound of that...
zombie zombie zombie
MindMachine
Nelson Baboon wrote:
thus far I have kill the king and mastery of money. Both are excellent - my favorite of the 2 is mastery of money (though I haven't listened to all of kill the king yet). The painful factor is that so many of them are only available at extreme prices. I just won't buy a single cd for $30+

Well the artist gets at least 10% of that for sure or another step across the bridge... The rest goes to??:
http://www.kormplastics.nl/seaorg.html

Apparently enslaved since 1987.
iopop
Spencer wrote:

Def my favorite h3o albums.
Spencer
iopop wrote:
Spencer wrote:

Def my favorite h3o albums.

thumbs up
sduck
I've got a bunch of HT cd's. Not sure which ones. I know one is Fuck, as I had to move it when my daughter became able to read. I should probably listen to them again, as I can remember nothing about them now.
nihilist
Yesterday jammed:
Kill the King
All that rises must converge
Redintegration
...Play the Hafler Trio
pannikel
+1 for Sea Org (esp. for the included 'acoustic paintings' of Dr. Edward Moolenbeek - the 10" Touch issue that is, I have no idea about the economic politics of this reissue referred to above, I agree, I expect its bad);
Cleave:9 great openings (the cds around this time he really worked making a cd release into something more, with luxurious design package too);
All of it really, even the radio work with Willem de Ridder
Mood Organ
Sea Org 10"
Bang! an open letter LP
Kill the King CD

my favorites. we're not worthy
solitaryzen
I love The Hafler Trio. I have a lot of their albums on vinyl and CD. I particularly like the CD trilogy: Kill the King, Mastery of Money & How to Reform Mankind. I have all these in their original glorious booklet packaging. I think I like Kill the King the most out of these three. Highly influential stuff, but still pretty underrated I think (certainly compared to the swathes of similar sounding stuff that came out years later).
CJ Miller
The burst of H3O output in the late 80s-early 90s was phenomenal! My favorites are still the first few I bought:

INOUTOF
Dislocation
Kill the King
The Hafler Trio play The Hafler Trio

It seems that a lot of that stuff is McKenzie having a great ear for Soundhack fuckery. Also H3O turned me on to binaural beats and the work of Willem de Ridder - who appears on the above THTPTHT and their collaboration "Snuff".

I am not so familiar with the H3O output since the mid 90s because I just don't buy music so much anymore. I had a record and CD collection which cost me thousands of dollars stolen when I was moving, since then I need to be very inspired to buy a disc.

In NYC I met Zbigniew Karkowski, who was involved in much of the earlier H3O work, and also done a lot of other interesting work. He was an interesting guy to talk with for a few days.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2