vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9142
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Post by dkcg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I have the Allen Strange book, it doesn't cover formant synthesis too well. Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds? I'm trying to finish up a speak n math project that's been sitting here and would like to figure out some additional modular processing ideas. I got a Cwejman Res-4 and VCEQ-3, and i'm pretty sure I could get vocal sounds out of them, just need to figure out what's happening in theory and math. I have some ideas, but need to experiment.

User avatar
brandon daniel
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 689
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:38 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Post by brandon daniel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't have the other parts, but here's some useful info from the good Doctor himself to get you started:


User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4610
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:23 pm

This may not be very helpful, but FWIW I've gotten some very vocal
like sounds from feedback loops especially with the A-137 in there.
Maybe not useful for strictly tuned applications. Starting around 35 sec:
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10044
Most of the cool stuff I come up with results from just dicking around.

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9142
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Post by dkcg » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm

That's about the same thing the Strange book had Brandon, but it should help. That sounds sweet SoySos! It sounds like a sample being stuttered or something, exactly what I was looking for. Do you remember the patch?A-137 huh...I'll look into that.

User avatar
revmutt
Knutty For Knobs
Posts: 1040
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:24 pm
Location: NYC

Post by revmutt » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Soy Sos wrote:This may not be very helpful, but FWIW I've gotten some very vocal
like sounds from feedback loops especially with the A-137 in there.
Maybe not useful for strictly tuned applications. Starting around 35 sec:
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10044
Most of the cool stuff I come up with results from just dicking around.
Nice.

Xiaodaner
Common Wiggler
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:30 am

Post by Xiaodaner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Soy Sos wrote:This may not be very helpful, but FWIW I've gotten some very vocal
like sounds from feedback loops especially with the A-137 in there.
Maybe not useful for strictly tuned applications. Starting around 35 sec:
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10044
Most of the cool stuff I come up with results from just dicking around.
Sounds really creepy in a nice way. I love how it sounds. :guinness:

User avatar
Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon
Posts: 4610
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA USA

Post by Soy Sos » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Thanks guys, glad you like!
OK, so these are the modules used in some random order:
Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer, Doepfer A-188-1, A-137, Harvestman Polivoks and attenuators, amplifiers and multiples.

That's the fucked up fun of feedback loops.
I doubt I could ever get that sound again :hihi:

User avatar
Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh
Posts: 3021
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:37 pm
Location: Waldorf, MD

Post by Suburban Bather » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 pm

I've made some weird vowel sounds from Moogerfoogers 101+103 and an EHX Bass Micro Synth. That was a few years ago though, think I need to resurrect that patch.
Heavy Lids

User avatar
kidtesla
sucker for filters
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 pm
Location: Trafalmador

Re: vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Post by kidtesla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 am

dkcg wrote:Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds?

I'd keep it simple. In the example I've uploaded: I use an oscillator from a Macbeth M5 controlled by a channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ negative envelope). Then a second channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ positive envelope) into the M5's variable state variable filter(HP).
Knowing you have a one of those coool plan B joysticks :hihi: :lol: :nod: you might be able to automate the process (X = oscillator control with lag plus neg. env. / Y = filter control with a different value lag plus pos. env.) rather than playing it by hand like I had to. Though part of the technique is shaping the formants.
For bookkeeping purposes I've uploaded the example here: :->:
viewtopic.php?p=37441#37441

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9142
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Re: vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Post by dkcg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:16 am

kidtesla wrote:
dkcg wrote:Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds?

I'd keep it simple. In the example I've uploaded: I use an oscillator from a Macbeth M5 controlled by a channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ negative envelope). Then a second channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ positive envelope) into the M5's variable state variable filter(HP).
Knowing you have a one of those coool plan B joysticks :hihi: :lol: :nod: you might be able to automate the process (X = oscillator control with lag plus neg. env. / Y = filter control with a different value lag plus pos. env.) rather than playing it by hand like I had to. Though part of the technique is shaping the formants.
For bookkeeping purposes I've uploaded the example here: :->:
viewtopic.php?p=37441#37441
Sweet! The Macbeth sounds like it loves scotch and is singing us a tune inebriated. :mrgreen: I'll be experimenting now, hopefully coming up with a viocal patch to show off the joystick in a video. I got kinda close to an opera singer before and the best results so far by sending the low frequency a higher frequency is synced to through a filter. Like Stretta's "ah" video. but the Macbeth sounds like it's saying "Oh Yeah!" or even the once in a while barry white baratone "Ohhh" at points!

User avatar
astroschnautzer
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:58 am
Location: Finland

Post by astroschnautzer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:37 am

The elektor formant has very wovely filters when used in pararell, I kind of understand where its name comes from. Havent got anywhere near as good results with other filters.

User avatar
kidtesla
sucker for filters
Posts: 527
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:28 pm
Location: Trafalmador

Re: vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Post by kidtesla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:41 pm

dkcg wrote: Sweet! The Macbeth sounds like it loves scotch and is singing us a tune inebriated. :mrgreen: I'll be experimenting now, hopefully coming up with a viocal patch to show off the joystick in a video. I got kinda close to an opera singer before and the best results so far by sending the low frequency a higher frequency is synced to through a filter. Like Stretta's "ah" video. but the Macbeth sounds like it's saying "Oh Yeah!" or even the once in a while barry white baratone "Ohhh" at points!
Yeah, Old Bucky(Ken Macbeth) makes great circuits! :tu: ...I'm looking forward to your vocal/formant/patch/joystick video(I always enjoy!! your stuff.)

User avatar
dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs
Posts: 9142
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm
Location: LA

Re: vocoder type formant patches and ideas?

Post by dkcg » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 pm

kidtesla wrote:
dkcg wrote: Sweet! The Macbeth sounds like it loves scotch and is singing us a tune inebriated. :mrgreen: I'll be experimenting now, hopefully coming up with a viocal patch to show off the joystick in a video. I got kinda close to an opera singer before and the best results so far by sending the low frequency a higher frequency is synced to through a filter. Like Stretta's "ah" video. but the Macbeth sounds like it's saying "Oh Yeah!" or even the once in a while barry white baratone "Ohhh" at points!
Yeah, Old Bucky(Ken Macbeth) makes great circuits! :tu: ...I'm looking forward to your vocal/formant/patch/joystick video(I always enjoy!! your stuff.)
No luck yet, but I'm uploading a Model 32 video right now. I've gotten formant type ah sounds from the MMF-1, but just trying to figure out when things start sounding vocal instead of hoping i stumble across it. Especially with the Res-4, that's the main module I'm focusing on to try to make formants, so far not a whole lot of luck with it, but it makes nice resonant block type sounds. :doh: :lol:

User avatar
doctorvague
ole fuckity fuck
Posts: 3098
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:40 pm
Location: New Mexico, USA

Post by doctorvague » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Great clips guys!!!
:singer: :singer: :singer: :singer:

Post Reply

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”