MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

vocoder type formant patches and ideas?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author vocoder type formant patches and ideas?
dkcg
I have the Allen Strange book, it doesn't cover formant synthesis too well. Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds? I'm trying to finish up a speak n math project that's been sitting here and would like to figure out some additional modular processing ideas. I got a Cwejman Res-4 and VCEQ-3, and i'm pretty sure I could get vocal sounds out of them, just need to figure out what's happening in theory and math. I have some ideas, but need to experiment.
brandon daniel
I don't have the other parts, but here's some useful info from the good Doctor himself to get you started:

http://flickr.com/photos/bdu/148007860/sizes/l/
Soy Sos
This may not be very helpful, but FWIW I've gotten some very vocal
like sounds from feedback loops especially with the A-137 in there.
Maybe not useful for strictly tuned applications. Starting around 35 sec:
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10044
Most of the cool stuff I come up with results from just dicking around.
dkcg
That's about the same thing the Strange book had Brandon, but it should help. That sounds sweet SoySos! It sounds like a sample being stuttered or something, exactly what I was looking for. Do you remember the patch?A-137 huh...I'll look into that.
revmutt
Soy Sos wrote:

Nice.
Xiaodaner
Soy Sos wrote:

Sounds really creepy in a nice way. I love how it sounds. Guinness ftw!
Soy Sos
Thanks guys, glad you like!
OK, so these are the modules used in some random order:
Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer, Doepfer A-188-1, A-137, Harvestman Polivoks and attenuators, amplifiers and multiples.

That's the fucked up fun of feedback loops.
I doubt I could ever get that sound again hihi
Suburban Bather
I've made some weird vowel sounds from Moogerfoogers 101+103 and an EHX Bass Micro Synth. That was a few years ago though, think I need to resurrect that patch.
kidtesla
dkcg wrote:
Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds?

I'd keep it simple. In the example I've uploaded: I use an oscillator from a Macbeth M5 controlled by a channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ negative envelope). Then a second channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ positive envelope) into the M5's variable state variable filter(HP).
Knowing you have a one of those coool plan B joysticks hihi lol nodnod you might be able to automate the process (X = oscillator control with lag plus neg. env. / Y = filter control with a different value lag plus pos. env.) rather than playing it by hand like I had to. Though part of the technique is shaping the formants.
For bookkeeping purposes I've uploaded the example here: arrow
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37441#37441
dkcg
kidtesla wrote:
dkcg wrote:
Anyone have a good idea for a signal path for making vocal sounds?

I'd keep it simple. In the example I've uploaded: I use an oscillator from a Macbeth M5 controlled by a channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ negative envelope). Then a second channel of a Fatcontroller CV/with lag (+ positive envelope) into the M5's variable state variable filter(HP).
Knowing you have a one of those coool plan B joysticks hihi lol nodnod you might be able to automate the process (X = oscillator control with lag plus neg. env. / Y = filter control with a different value lag plus pos. env.) rather than playing it by hand like I had to. Though part of the technique is shaping the formants.
For bookkeeping purposes I've uploaded the example here: arrow
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37441#37441

Sweet! The Macbeth sounds like it loves scotch and is singing us a tune inebriated. Mr. Green I'll be experimenting now, hopefully coming up with a viocal patch to show off the joystick in a video. I got kinda close to an opera singer before and the best results so far by sending the low frequency a higher frequency is synced to through a filter. Like Stretta's "ah" video. but the Macbeth sounds like it's saying "Oh Yeah!" or even the once in a while barry white baratone "Ohhh" at points!
astroschnautzer
The elektor formant has very wovely filters when used in pararell, I kind of understand where its name comes from. Havent got anywhere near as good results with other filters.
kidtesla
dkcg wrote:

Sweet! The Macbeth sounds like it loves scotch and is singing us a tune inebriated. Mr. Green I'll be experimenting now, hopefully coming up with a viocal patch to show off the joystick in a video. I got kinda close to an opera singer before and the best results so far by sending the low frequency a higher frequency is synced to through a filter. Like Stretta's "ah" video. but the Macbeth sounds like it's saying "Oh Yeah!" or even the once in a while barry white baratone "Ohhh" at points!
Yeah, Old Bucky(Ken Macbeth) makes great circuits! thumbs up ...I'm looking forward to your vocal/formant/patch/joystick video(I always enjoy!! your stuff.)
dkcg
kidtesla wrote:
dkcg wrote:

Yeah, Old Bucky(Ken Macbeth) makes great circuits! thumbs up ...I'm looking forward to your vocal/formant/patch/joystick video(I always enjoy!! your stuff.)

No luck yet, but I'm uploading a Model 32 video right now. I've gotten formant type ah sounds from the MMF-1, but just trying to figure out when things start sounding vocal instead of hoping i stumble across it. Especially with the Res-4, that's the main module I'm focusing on to try to make formants, so far not a whole lot of luck with it, but it makes nice resonant block type sounds. d'oh! lol
doctorvague
Great clips guys!!!
Singer Singer Singer Singer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1