MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

HD Player
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author HD Player

DSC

First post over here in the Video Synth side. Looked at VHS and saw the problems of TBC and bulk, so I kept looking for a more versatile player. Then I saw these on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121201159833
I thought, why not, for the price might as well try it. Well, I have to say I am very impressed. No TBC necessary saves me cash and I made a 4HP panel and I am good to go. Video can be on SD card, or USB memory stick, or Hard Drive via USB. Some might not like the remote, but a lot of these built in features make it easy to use it without it. For instance, you can set it up to start playing as soon as it's powered up. It can repeat one title, or all titles. I primarily am stealing clips from Youtube and various sci-fi movies and them applying hard contrast filters and using the output as digital keys through a Panasonic digital mixer. There is a HDMI port on the back, but obviously I just need the SD, but nice to have. Audio is very clean if you want to use it. I figured I could build these for $150 - $175 each and I have at least three now so I can switch easily between sources. These work great with LZX modules!

This will be used in the visuals at the Denver Synth Meet!

______________________________________________________________________ _________________

GEORGE MATTSON - CIRCUIT SHAMAN - AUDIO DAMAGE - WMD - NIIO ANALOG - SOUNDTRACK LOOPS - SYNTHROTEK - GRAYSCALE

tacharon

applause

lizlarsen

This is awesome!!! smile
Not a Color TBC replacement though, since it does not decode the outputs to RGB, and there is no genlock input for synchronizing it with the system. As a master video source though, this is so neat. I want one!

What would be even more awesome is if you found one of these with Component RGB output and modified outputs so that you could get 1V DC RGB video out directly. It might be possible by housing it along with an Ambery.com Composite-to-YPbPr converter.

You could also do this using Raspberry Pi, and then you could add some pin headers for playback controls/trigger inputs!

monads

This is actually really cool! Interested in what Liz said regarding the Component RGB addition, but it would increase the HP which I like how compact it is already. I guess you could just use the Color TBC with this module to get the RGB and synchronization if required.

Good job applause

lizlarsen

I bet you could get an IR code reader to get all the play/start/stop/pause codes from the remote. There's got to be a real simple all inclusive Arduino project board for IR code broadcast, that you could combine in a panel with some buttons and trigger inputs! Does it have a "next clip" / "previous clip" button on the remote? Sequencing that would be fun. Of course there will likely be some loading time here, so you probably wouldn't be able to strobe between clips.

DSC

That is a great idea with the IR. I should have qualified my earlier remark. I have found I have to 'condition' most signals I run through my main video input on my LZX modules. Now granted I am using crappy circuit bent NES signals. Usually I run everything thru my Extron, or my Panasonic mixer before outputting to the main video input on my LZX modules.

Switching between different clips via remote is seamless. I even considered breaking out the remote into the same panel making the buttons CV controlled, but as of now I wanted more video sources in a smaller space. 4HP makes this great compared to a full size VHS or even a DVD player.

Once I get this Denver Synth Meet out of my hair I will be able to dedicate some serious time to this. Expect more news soon. If any of you have other methods that fit these specs and space constraints, please let me know!

daverj

Your ebay link doesn't work, but the photo shows the player. There's several brands of identical players on ebay in the $25-$50 range. They were mentioned in another thread last year. I have two different ones and they work great as little players. No genlock or RGB, as Liz mentions, though.

DSC

Link fixed. Sorry.

I am just using these for hard contrast 'key's' so this works perfect for me. Used Panasonic digital mixers are so cheap these days that a few of these little guys and a cheap mixer and you are good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291394099682

Ty

Very cool! I would be interested in one of these!

In my system, I would probably keep this wired to my Jones MVIP so that I have a different texture to mix with what I have running into the LZX part.

w00t

thebrotherspus

I'd be down for one of these too.
They look great!

sendhelp

very cool.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1