MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Search is fixed!!! Apologies for the downtime.

Post Pics of Your Video Synths!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Author Post Pics of Your Video Synths!
johnnywoods
Well, every other sub-forums got one!
Here's two blurry camera phone pics of my new LZX in it's temporary home. A more proper studio setup to follow!
johnnywoods
johnnywoods wrote:
Well, every other sub-forums got one!
Here's two blurry camera phone pics of my new LZX in it's temporary home. A more proper studio setup to follow!
Attachments:

Oops... Sorry, doing this from my phone... Here's the studio pic:
sandyb
stickied smile

that's looking good johnnywoods.
what lzx modules did you get?
johnnywoods
sandyb wrote:
stickied

that's looking good johnnywoods.
what lzx modules did you get?

All of them!

A VSG + CVE, 4 VWGs, 2 TVFs, 2 VBMs, and 2 Voltage Interfaces.
I then stripped my audio modular of all it's juiciest control modules.
Low-Gain
Best of both worlds. I hope to start picking up some of their modules this year. So awesome!
lizlarsen
I can't wait to see what comes out of Johnny's system, those are some talented hands!!!

Here was my live setup for a gallery performance I did. There were several audio performers, and one mixer/conductor who sent me 2 dedicated Aux Bus outputs of his mixer to the Visionary. So he had control over which audio signals he was sending to the video, and to the speakers, at the same time. My job was to interpret what he was sending me visually. Oftentimes there were some wonderful moments where visual content would foreshadow audio content and vice versa. The laptop is being used as a preview monitor and to capture the video stream for later editing/viewing.

Modules are basic 8-module system, and Doepfer A-143-1 as extra modulation source.

daverj
This is a panorama I took at the Experimental TV Center a couple of years ago

And closer looks at the pieces:

The Apples and the Sandin IP

The other computers, tape decks, preview monitors, TBCs, and the yellow box on the right is my 8 channel sequencer and dual keyers

The main console: too much stuff to mention. Lots of my synth machines plus some commercial machines

The Paik/Abe colorizer and a shot of the rest of the studio space

lizlarsen
Beautiful photos of the center Dave!! I still can't believe I missed my chance to get in there.

Quote:
The main console: too much stuff to mention. Lots of my synth machines plus some commercial machines

Humor us! Point out some of yours and/or any of the weirder ones?

Quote:
8 channel sequencer and dual keyers

This was for sequential switching thru a set of camera inputs, is that right?
authorless
I would really like to start a video modular. I think it would be fun to do audio and visuals out of a single case. But I really don't know enough about the video stuff to justify the cost...
lizlarsen
authorless - yes, it can be scary expensive for the curious (same as audio modulars). but it really comes down to how you want to approach it. there are some minimal configurations of my modules or jones' MVIP that can be very effective, especially if combined with things like the right camera or display setup. a lot of your audio modules can be used to process video signals as well, if you have the core functional elements for video in place.

as for learning about it, i'm working on some "primer articles" kind of thing that explains everything a little more colloquially and in the context of actual patches, as far as how the LZX stuff works. if you have any specific questions then please ask here, too!

what sort of techniques/looks are you most interested in?
daverj
creatorlars wrote:

Quote:
8 channel sequencer and dual keyers

This was for sequential switching thru a set of camera inputs, is that right?

It's far more complex than that, though it will also do that. It can sequence at pixel rates, so can chop the image up into all sorts of shapes and insert pieces of images into the shapes. It's closer to the look of an 8 level keyer, except instead of shades of gray defining the areas on the screen where the images go, the areas are defined by overlapping oscillators.

Here's a couple of still frames of a video I did a couple of years ago: It doesn't show the full power, but gives you an idea.

lizlarsen
That looks like loads of fun, nice! Those stills look great. I assume it has integrated horizontal and vertical-sync'ed pulse oscillators with variable frequency, or something to that effect? A sequential switch/multiplexer type circuit is on my prototyping to-do-list and I'm looking forward to doing some experiments like this. I'm sure all sorts of fun with some boolean logic and various flip-flop circuits too.
dude
you guys are fucking wizards.
daverj
creatorlars wrote:

Quote:

Humor us! Point out some of yours and/or any of the weirder ones?

The "Jones Buffer" frame buffer from the early 80s

A six channel version of the "Jones Colorizer", this one is from the mid 80s. It's an updated version of the one I did in the early 70s. This one uses variable soft/hard edge keyers on the channels, while the original had only hard edge keyers.

My 8 channel video sequencer/switcher and a pair of my keyers

This is a mixture of stuff from the 70s and early 80s. On the left is one of my "Output Amps". It turns any CV, audio, video, or noise into recordable video signals. It's the main output of the system. There's a couple of attenuators, and ramp generators, and in the center is a 4 channel video sequencer/switcher. The jacks marked X and Y are CV to video converters.

This is a bank of 8 of my video rate oscillators from the 80s, plus a couple of sample & holds, and some multiples.

This is a mixture of some CV stuff plus a pair of video keyers and four video VCAs. It was originally built by Richard Brewster when he worked for us in the 70s. It was based on keyers and VCAs that I had designed a year or two earlier. I wasn't happy with some artifacts they had, so I modified these in the early 80s, changing their design a bit.

This is a pair of boxes filled with CV and audio modules built by Richard Brewster in the 70s. It was largely based on Serge modules of the 70s, but modified to work at frequencies useful for video, and with various other video features (such as horizontal and vertical sync). These are nicknamed "The Yellow Boxes"

This is the video switching matrix used to patch all of the video modules to each other. It is a slide switch matrix with 48 inputs and 58 outputs. It's the same type of Cherry switch matrix used in many Arp synths in the 70s, except this is quite a bit larger. Control voltages are patched around the system on mini cables, but all the video goes through this.

daverj
creatorlars wrote:
That looks like loads of fun, nice! Those stills look great. I assume it has integrated horizontal and vertical-sync'ed pulse oscillators with variable frequency, or something to that effect?

Nope. See the oscillator bank above. Those go from LFO to many times horizontal rate, locked to H, V, or free running. So they can be patched into the sequencer/switcher, or anything else in the system. There are also lots of vertical rate ramps and triangles in the yellow boxes, plus a couple more H & V rate oscillators.

All the clock, sync, and switching inputs of the sequencer have comparators, so can take any waveshape to control them.
lizlarsen
Thanks for breaking it down Dave! Making me feel better about missing out on ETC (well a little bit, I can't patch any of it up!) I do little but think about all this stuff most days so its a treat to see those pics/explanations.

On the sequencer, yeah that makes sense after I see the other gear! I was just wondering if there were some integrated clock sources. We are using comparators on all our logic inputs too, I love sync'ing VCOs with external video! Reminds me of this circuit:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs28_seq_switch.html

An interesting variant on a multiplexer circuit would be an 8 output version with the 8 inputs "rotating" thru the outputs. Then you could get access to the "last output" and patch two sources into crossfader, with a clock-triggered envelope controlling it and get a soft fade control between inputs as they were switched. Or something like that. hmmm.....

Sorry, not the patch notes thread! hyper hyper
SynthPunk
okay ill play. heres mine- video modular on the right on top of the rhodes with a varied mishmash of encoders and SPGs etc. audio modular (used for prototyping the video modular) is on the left. the video modular now has more modules in it, this was taken about 6 months ago.. excuse massive untidyness....
rich

[/img]
lizlarsen
That's what I like to see! Television on top of the Rhodes!!! w00t
flozki
hello
here a picture of my portable synkie system.
still quite in change but so far
3 input modules .synk slitter(to remove synk from video signal) we call the video without synk info the SIFF signal
vca mdoules
line generator modules (pulse delays)
comparator module
mixer 6 channel vca controlled
experimental module
4x lfo module
resyncer= output module
rgb to composite resyncer module

and a detail of the 6 channel video mixer:

the main system which is way bigger with many more modules you can see in action in geneva at the electron festival.
electron festival

cheers
f.
snufkin
YES love your site flozki!
lizlarsen
Fantastic photos, thanks so much for sharing!!
And welcome to the forum! We hope you stick around. applause applause
I'd love to see some videos of your system in action.
daverj
Looks like a fun system
numan7
I'm still in the process of deciding where the video modules should be situated within my modular system...

I had been placing all of my LZX Visionary modules in a 6U MW case with some audio processors, except for the voltage interface 1 which i have in a din-powered skiff. So up to now, a picture of my video modular synth would be pretty much identical to a picture of my eurorack modular synth, due to being one and the same instrument...

But lately I've been inclined to put my LZX modules in dedicated 104hp barrel-pwrd skiff to the LZX modules... but: 1 VSG + 1 CVE + 1 TVF/KG + 1 VBM + 3 VWGs = 102 hp, which is 2hp more than the skiff can fit... so we'll see...
numan7
well fwiw, here's how it currently looks...

cheers,
n7
lizlarsen
Looks like a starship bridge!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next [all]
Page 1 of 11