MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Drum modules and modular triggers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Drum modules and modular triggers
sgnhh
I've been thinking about my drum sounds situation and believe I've come up with a solution, maybe one that someone here can test. If I get a drum module, say an Alesis D4, and plug the trigger outs of some of my synth modules into its inputs, will the D4 trigger as if it were receiving triggers from a fake kit?
Kent
In the manual, there should (I'd hope) be a notation as to the triggering spec of the D4. Usually, it is just a voltage threshold. If the synth in question can fire off a signal that is hot enough, it should work.
dkcg
I would think the signal is hot enough if it's coming from a modular. Dead Banana
consumed
sure, it should work fine. whats your trigger source and what does the drum module trigger input require?
criticalmonkey
i can try it for you later tonight - i have a dm5
criticalmonkey
yep it works - kinda - tried it with my a149-2 random cv and korg sq10 with my DM5 and roland td10
didn't dig to deep - just enuff to know i don't wanna do it to often

149-2 - under control of 149-1 clocked off an lfo
with alesis dm5 - it seems to trigger on the off
with td10 - it triggered on both the on and the off of the cv (2 hits when i expected 1)

with the korg seq
trigger out -
dm5 - triggered every time - got all sorts of weird re-triggering - attenuating might help this, just odd behavior
with the td10 - trigger on on and off when using a trigger out
whe using the normal cv out-
dm5 - same weirdness with added "velocity"
td10 - it triggered on change - i.e. if 2 steps where set the same then the second trigger was skipped - but this seemed the most like i would have expected

works best when you just send an audio pulse to either of them - just have to set input levels - you get better velocity too
this is what i'd do if i needed

not sure why you would want to do this - after doing it, I kinda felt like i lost most the abilities of the drum module

although living voltage is kinda cool - confused

off to the thread about to many options....
sgnhh
Thanks for the info.
consumed
the 149-2 appears to put out gates rather than triggers. if you're going to test it, i would recommend sending triggers to the modules instead. i see that the D4 is designed to trigger from incoming audio so you'd definitely have to experiment with it.
Cat-A-Tonic
My Boss Dr. Pad III gladly accepts triggers from the modular.
Hitting the pad itself is more dynamic though. (pressure -> amplitude)
Plugging in an external trigger does not disable the pad.
So you can use both simultaneously for little fills.
I have yet to try making the triggers more dynamic by varying their amplitude and/or width.
I'll get on that soon.

Sometimes I think about getting a Roland HPD-10.
It is so much fun to play with the demo unit at the gear shop.
It has an external trigger input too.
So I think you can trigger one sound (bass drum) from the modular.
I tried the HPD-15 too, but I liked the samples better on the HPD-10
even though there are fewer of them.
criticalmonkey
"the 149-2 appears to put out gates rather than triggers. if you're going to test it, i would recommend sending triggers to the modules instead. i see that the D4 is designed to trigger from incoming audio so you'd definitely have to experiment with it."

that's why i did the sequencer too - Guinness ftw!
consumed
criticalmonkey wrote:
"the 149-2 appears to put out gates rather than triggers. if you're going to test it, i would recommend sending triggers to the modules instead. i see that the D4 is designed to trigger from incoming audio so you'd definitely have to experiment with it."

that's why i did the sequencer too - Guinness ftw!

ah ok--korg you said--i missed that part Guinness ftw!
i wonder if an alesis module expecting audio for triggers would expect an ac signal.
it would be interesting to take the trigger and offset it to center around 0V.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1