MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sound of Shadows+FSr4=Center of the Universe
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Sound of Shadows+FSr4=Center of the Universe
zerosum
The Sound of Shadows really is the delay!

What draws me in the most is the lofi dark glitchy forboding sound I get when the rate is modulated.
To take that a step further, the synthwerks FSR-4 controller gives me a finger controlled glitch machine! MY ASS IS BLEEDING SlayerBadger!

In This sound file I have one pad controlling the rate CV, and one pad controlling the feedback.
The sound source is a Trogotronic M/666 which is also being controlled by the FsR-4, and I am also processing the sound of shadows with a Kurzweil Mangler for L to R delay.

When the feedback is modulated, it really makes me appreciate the name "Sound of Shadows". thumbs up

I have lots of ideas to explore with the SOS/FSr4 combo! applause
D Bondi
SlayerBadger!
zerosum
More SlayerBadger!
The 6th dimension on Planet 7
a100user
Wonderful SOS pieces. Love mine but obviously need to explore it more as you're geeting much more interesting sounds than I do thumbs up
weinglas
Perfect SF or Horror soundtrack SlayerBadger!
opsysbug
Love it !!
flight
That was awesome, thanks! SlayerBadger!

a100user wrote:
Wonderful SOS pieces. Love mine but obviously need to explore it more as you're geeting much more interesting sounds than I do thumbs up
Yeah, that is the problem with most f(h) gear: they take a lot of experimenting with to find out what they can do.
zerosum
Thanks guys 8_) Chugging Beers
Madrayken
a100user wrote:

Do. Not. Give. Up. It's the best module in my rack by far (for my needs).

The secret is in really low Rate values, and keeping the Insert at max if you don't have any inserts.
ersatzplanet
flight wrote:
Yeah, that is the problem with most f(h) gear: they take a lot of experimenting with to find out what they can do.

Same goes for the FSR-4 - gotta use one before the A-Ha! moment happens.
Now That I have the full FoH lineup of modules I can't wait to get my studio re-setup to play with them (and the new cabinet!). SoS will be Really fun!

-James
ersatzplanet
duplicate!
zerosum
OK, Inspired by This thread I wanted to do a quickie of how to use the PB as an oscillator.
The Sound of Shadows oscillates like hell too, so that helps a lot in this patch.
I'm using that cool Synthwerks FSR-4 controller to control the feedback and rate of the SOS.
A Malekko/Wiard noisering modulates the PB Hi and LO CV inputs,
and the the clock is patched into the PB audio input.
Plague Bearer is then fed into the Sound Of Shadows.

Here is a 16/44.1 WAV file recorded direct at the same time the crappy camera was doing its thing,
so you can get a better idea of what it sounds like.

And Here is one I made right before I decided to make a crappy video.
matttech
zerosum wrote:
OK, Inspired by This thread I wanted to do a quickie of how to use the PB as an oscillator.
The Sound of Shadows oscillates like hell too, so that helps a lot in this patch.
I'm using that cool Synthwerks FSR-4 controller to control the feedback and rate of the SOS.
A Malekko/Wiard noisering modulates the PB Hi and LO CV inputs,
and the the clock is patched into the PB audio input.
Plague Bearer is then fed into the Sound Of Shadows.

Here is a 16/44.1 WAV file recorded direct at the same time the crappy camera was doing its thing,
so you can get a better idea of what it sounds like.

And Here is one I made right before I decided to make a crappy video.

so....is the noise-ring kind of functioning as a modulation source - or is it producing the basic oscillator sound? (not quite sure i get what's going on here...)

ii get that the "clock" of the noisering is plugged into the audio input of the PB, but what exactly is getting sent into that audio input? - will it not self-oscillate without any audio input?

LOVE the tearing sounds towards the end of the audio demo - is that mainly Sound Of Shadows?

also - how does "sound of shadows" compare to the Analogue Systems delay you have? (i've been considering both as my VC-delay)
zerosum
Quote:
so....is the noise-ring kind of functioning as a modulation source - or is it producing the basic oscillator sound?

Well in this case, I guess it was producing an oscillation source, but I (tried to)patched it up to be a modulation source... hmmm.....
In my first example I had patched a Blacet Binary Zone into the the Plague Bearer but it was also getting some help by an envelope set to audio rate modulation speeds, so I haven't given the best examples(yet) of the Plague Bearer used as on oscillator.
It can be used as an oscillator, I just haven't shown the best method for doing so.
I kinda derailed the thread...(I'm sorry oops )
I don't have a Quad Plague Bearer but based on my limited experience with the single, I think that the deviant tinkerer could find some very useful patches using it as an oscillator with 4 or even one of them.

I'll have to do some more tests and stuff, but I think it is safe to say that the PB will self oscillate and can be used in ways that an oscillator would be used, I just have to document those better.

Happy patching! applause thumbs up

Quote:
LOVE the tearing sounds towards the end of the audio demo - is that mainly Sound Of Shadows?

Yeah 8_)

Quote:
also - how does "sound of shadows" compare to the Analogue Systems delay you have? (i've been considering both as my VC-delay)

The AS is more of a "Delay" while the SOS brings my mind into a fuzzy oscillator dreamlike instrument state.... They aren't comparable, but the SOS definitely has more "chracter" that takes over while the AS provides a nice delay.
matttech
zerosum wrote:
Quote:
so....is the noise-ring kind of functioning as a modulation source - or is it producing the basic oscillator sound?

Well in this case, I guess it was producing an oscillation source, but I (tried to)patched it up to be a modulation source... hmmm.....
In my first example I had patched a Blacet Binary Zone into the the Plague Bearer but it was also getting some help by an envelope set to audio rate modulation speeds, so I haven't given the best examples(yet) of the Plague Bearer used as on oscillator.
It can be used as an oscillator, I just haven't shown the best method for doing so.
I kinda derailed the thread...(I'm sorry oops )
I don't have a Quad Plague Bearer but based on my limited experience with the single, I think that the deviant tinkerer could find some very useful patches using it as an oscillator with 4 or even one of them.

I'll have to do some more tests and stuff, but I think it is safe to say that the PB will self oscillate and can be used in ways that an oscillator would be used, I just have to document those better.

Happy patching! applause thumbs up

Quote:

Yeah 8_)

Quote:

The AS is more of a "Delay" while the SOS brings my mind into a fuzzy oscillator dreamlike instrument state.... They aren't comparable, but the SOS definitely has more "chracter" that takes over while the AS provides a nice delay.

thanks for all that -any input that will assist me with my module choices is very gratefully received! i definitely want at least ONE CV-able delay. i recently won the AS reverb/chorus on ebay, but this is more of a very short delay, which in turn produces the reverb/ chorus effect (not even been able to try it out yet as it is my very first module and the case hasn't arrived yet!)

some of the digital delays I've heard demos of so far seem to produce a lot of clicky digital glitches when being CV-d, but the Sound of Shadows doesn't seem to so much. i don't mind digital artifacts (aliasing/ sample+bit rate reduction etc...), but I'm not too keen on digital clicks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1