MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

rack rails for 5U cabinets
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author rack rails for 5U cabinets
Luka
did any of you guys make your own case and know where i can get rails from?
i am very interested as i need them before i can get my friend to start designing my case

thanks
sandyb
Luka wrote:
did any of you guys make your own case and know where i can get rails from?
i am very interested as i need them before i can get my friend to start designing my case

thanks

if you are going with MOTM format panels Luka then i'd go with the rails that bridechamber supplies. they're 6U wide and are made to be mounted in diy cases - you need a wooden rail behind them. they are not suitable for use in 19 inch racks.
http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechamber.com/Cab%20Mounting.html

if you want to go with rack style mounting then synthtech supply rails for this.
http://www.synthtech.com/testcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&pro ducts_id=181&zenid=dec1dc6b00571b38fd55a8ce46d75ab4

hth

sandy
Luka
great thanks sandy
the rails are going to be welded into my metal case
so do you think the wood ones will work

the dimension of my case is 15U high (3 rows) and 16U wide
JohnLRice
Hi Luka,

With those dimensions I'm not sure either of the rails Sandy mentioned would work . . enless you make one or three metal center supports or something.

If you are going stricklty with MOTM style spacing another option would be to just use standard 19" rack rails but horizontally since the MOTM mounting holes in the panels are the same spacing. Since you can get this type of rail in lengths longer than you'll need and it's nice thick steel which will be dandy for welding, you are almost there but . . . check on a few of the lists for pitfalls when doing this before you commit (especially the Yahoo MOTM and Oakley lists etc)

Best of luck!
Luka
thanks john
just working out how to find out my yahoo login
i think ive been stuck at this point before
yahoo drives me nuts
futuresoundsystems
I use aluminium angle (see below) with some soft wood behind it. Drill holes in the alu angle, then use self tapping screws to go through the wood.
sandyb
Luka wrote:
great thanks sandy
the rails are going to be welded into my metal case
so do you think the wood ones will work

the dimension of my case is 15U high (3 rows) and 16U wide

i suppose they could. you'd need 3 rails for 18U and then chop the extra 2 off. if the welding is done ok i don't see why they wouldn't work. i'd be inclined to weld an "L" bracket onto the rail and then use this to weld onto the side of the case. you'd also have to come up with a way of connecting the 3 rails together in each row. hmm, now i think about it more, it might be easier to find some suitable metal stock and drill your own confused

sandy
Luka
what are the standard mounting hole dimensions?
perhaps there is a prefab product suitable
Luka
got it

http://www.synthtech.com/tech/motm19a.pdf
JohnLRice
And . . . you haven't said yet for sure . . unless I missed it . . .WHICH 5U format you are going for. Sounds like MOTM but you know that Synthesizers.com, Club Of The Knobs, MOS-LAB, Moog etc are all 5U modules but their panel widths and hole spacing are different from Synth Tech MOTM (and Oakley etc)
Luka
well i have deisnged my own format of panels but i am using the motm standards for panel size and mounting.

man i have to go work out in bushfire destroyed areas today, our state had the worst natural disaster ever on the weekend after a day of 48 degree celcius day with high winds. kinda scared. confused
consumed
yeah i read about the fires in AU on the news yesterday! crazy

you know that regular rack rails will also fit the motm `1.75" unit too? but you will need to use regular rack screws (not the smaller diameter used on the motm rails).
JohnLRice
Luka wrote:
well i have deisnged my own format of panels but i am using the motm standards for panel size and mounting.

man i have to go work out in bushfire destroyed areas today, our state had the worst natural disaster ever on the weekend after a day of 48 degree celcius day with high winds. kinda scared. confused

Stay safe, Luka!!! Tinfoil Hat
Luka
cheers guys will do
im not even sure if they will let me in the area
better go
synthetic
I realized after I built my cabinet that standard (cheap) 19" rack rails will work for mounting MOTM modules! They're 1u wide and 5u tall. I held some standard rack rails (that I had LAYING AROUND) up to some MOTM panels and they seem to fit. That could be a way to save some money on a cabinet. (Sorry Scott!)
suitandtieguy
FYI i'm currently investigating getting rails made for another format, if it works out MU (Moog, Synthesiszers.com, me etc.) will surely follow.
Veqtor
I'm thinking about buying this to start out a MOTM-style DIY system:
http://www.thomann.de/se/thon_studiorack_30he.htm

What do you think?
sandyb
Veqtor wrote:
I'm thinking about buying this to start out a MOTM-style DIY system:
http://www.thomann.de/se/thon_studiorack_30he.htm

What do you think?

i think it *might* be a bit unstable, depending on how much it weighs. 6 x 5U rows is pretty high. personally i don't think i'd go over 3 rows of 5U in one cabinet/rack. unless you plan to attach it to a wall or something like that.

sandy
neandrewthal
beer!
Veqtor
Nevermind I must have been hyper on Coffee Addiction FTW
sandyb
that picture makes me feel ill with worry ambulance
krelnarb
That looks like a equipment rack similar to what's in server rooms and tele-comm closets. They have big feet; a network switch weighs a lot more than a bunch of synth modules.

I would worry more about back strain bending to twiddle knobs or change a patch. Ergo, tall rigs aren't ergo(nomic).

It never hurts to secure a rack. Or book case or TV or... out here in erffquake county
rezzn8r
krelnarb wrote:
That looks like a equipment rack similar to what's in server rooms and tele-comm closets. They have big feet; a network switch weighs a lot more than a bunch of synth modules.

I would worry more about back strain bending to twiddle knobs or change a patch. Ergo, tall rigs aren't ergo(nomic).

but i would sit there anyway d'oh! hihi
Luka
cool well im just going with 19" style rack strips
they are aus$30 per 2M lengths
so aus$90 for a 48U cab (16U wide, 15Uhigh)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1