MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Fuzz for synths!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Fuzz for synths!
mateo
I want to get some fuzz for my synths, and with so many pedals out there I though I'd get some feedback here first... any suggestions?
Low-Gain
just scored a devi Bit: Legend of Fuzz pedal this week.
haven't had a chance to use it w/ the synths yet but i know for a fact that a big muff sounds fantastic specially w/ some compression.

I know i'm going to like the LoF though! It's motherfucking bacon yo
PrimateSynthesis
You might not want a fuzz face or its multitude of Zvex, Devi, etc., etc., clones and variants unless you can control the input level because synths produce a higher voltage than guitars.
electrik noize
I have three pedals from Zvex: Fuzz Factory, Woolly Mammoth, and a Machine.
All three are wildly different and chaining them in series is a sure way to obliterate the sound. My fave of the three is the Woolly Mammoth, simply because there are more tone shaping options that can tame the sound a bit. That is, when your not looking to blow up the sound so much.

Also have a Big Muff, and while it's cool, I feel it's a little bland next to the other pedals. Although, it can super-compress the signal via it's sustain knob which will change the dynamics of the source material a whole lot. That's fun sometimes.
Low-Gain
electrik noize wrote:

Also have a Big Muff, and while it's cool, I feel it's a little bland next to the other pedals. Although, it can super-compress the signal via it's sustain knob which will change the dynamics of the source material a whole lot. That's fun sometimes.

I forget that i modified my Muff. so it's not the same as most peoples muffs. lol Specifically it's crappy tone "stack".
mateo
PrimateSynthesis wrote:
You might not want a fuzz face or its multitude of Zvex, Devi, etc., etc., clones and variants unless you can control the input level because synths produce a higher voltage than guitars.

I've got a Stilton adapter, so no danger of that.
MrBiggs
I love fuzzy guitar but the times I've plugged my synth into my fuzzes it's been all bleh. It's basically just distorted square wave without any of the dynamics that make it so great on guitar. Overdrive, on the other hand, works well with hard VCA peaks, but I just found fuzz to be not so great.

Love to hear some examples otherwise though.

(Fuzz pedals used with modular are my Swollen Pickle and Malekko Omicron Fuzz)
negativspace
Low-Gain wrote:

I forget that i modified my Muff. so it's not the same as most peoples muffs. lol Specifically it's crappy tone "stack".

What did you do to it? twisted
awesome
I love putting my Malekko B:assmaster on my synth, i leave it on most of the time, I actually like it better on my synth than i do on my guitar.

havent ran my synth thru any of my other fuzzes, i should prob do that and report back, no promises!
PrimateSynthesis
mateo wrote:

I've got a Stilton adapter, so no danger of that.

Sounds cheesy Mr. Green
mateo
awesome wrote:
I love putting my Malekko B:assmaster on my synth, i leave it on most of the time, I actually like it better on my synth than i do on my guitar.

havent ran my synth thru any of my other fuzzes, i should prob do that and report back, no promises!

The pedal, or the module? I tried the latter and wasn't particularly impressed by it..
baltimoroder
mateo wrote:
awesome wrote:

The pedal, or the module? I tried the latter and wasn't particularly impressed by it..

I love the B:ass but there are def signals that it prefers and ones that just come out blah. It really wants deep bass with relatively little harmonics (sines, tri...) Input levels are important too me thinks. My fav patch I've found is a self-resonating Z2040 pitched in the sub-bass region hit with just the smallest amount of FM... it goes fucking ANIMAL.

Here's two examples. Soundcloud encoding really takes the bite out of the distortion but you get the general idea.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/baltimoroder/sets/tiptop-z2040-malekko-b/[/s]
Babaluma
muff member haiku-ish's NOS germanium fuzz face and a reamp ftw!
Irgendwaslanges
What about the Bass Big Muff??

I prefer it often over the normal Big Muff....deeper Sound and more Options
100th Monkey
I use a Zvex Mastotron for the majority of my fuzz needs and a Fuzz Factory when I want something a bit crazier.
langley
I use a Boss Bass Overdrive pedal or a Marshall DRP-1. The Moogerfooger Ring Modulator also has a drive control which is more subtle.
PrimateSynthesis
langley wrote:
I use a Boss Bass Overdrive pedal or a Marshall DRP-1. The Moogerfooger Ring Modulator also has a drive control which is more subtle.

I have a DRP-1, and it's great for sounding like a distorted amp, but there is no way that it's fuzz.

The only bonafide fuzz pedal I still have is a "tall font" BMP (Civil War circuit in a ridiculously heavy green box). Someone on ebay is selling a beat-up unit with a broken knob, a foot missing, and no battery cover for around $500. Mine is in very good cosmetic condition and works perfectly. While it sounds fine between a synth and a mixer, apparently it's incredible between a guitar and an amp. Which is an entirely different situation. But it's not my situation. So I should probably figure out a way to sell it, as I'm not making the best use of it.
langley
I think I missed the point - sorry! I also think I need to get some fuzz!
kjellb
Zvex Fuzz Factory and Last Gasp Art Laboratories Super Oscillo Fuzz work great for me.
zapp550
I use the blackout effectors twosome, but mainly the fixd fuzz side.. it's just searing for lack of a better word.
mateo
baltimoroder wrote:

I love the B:ass but there are def signals that it prefers and ones that just come out blah. It really wants deep bass with relatively little harmonics (sines, tri...) Input levels are important too me thinks. My fav patch I've found is a self-resonating Z2040 pitched in the sub-bass region hit with just the smallest amount of FM... it goes fucking ANIMAL.

Here's two examples. Soundcloud encoding really takes the bite out of the distortion but you get the general idea.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/baltimoroder/sets/tiptop-z2040-malekko-b/[/s]

Awesome examples, definitely makes me want to give the b:assmaster another try!
ws9848
I have one of the older ibanez tube kings and it makes for a real nice bass tone. I also have a fulltone fat boost but I think I like the tube king better
mateo
Yeah, turns out the b:assmaster module I tried was defective; we swapped it with another one and it sounded MUCH better. It's a tough call versus the pedals I tried, though; the cv control is nice, but there's not much you can tweak on it...
kaoss
mateo wrote:
I want to get some fuzz for my synths, and with so many pedals out there I though I'd get some feedback here first... any suggestions?

not sure if someone mentioned this - most fuzz pedals' inputs were designed to accept guitar output signal.
it might be a good idea to use a "re-amp" DI when going from the synth to the fuzz pedal to give it the right impedance. there are quite a few companies that make re-amp DIs, i'm personally happy with Radial's X-amp
the right pedal for the right synth....and the right mood...so many choices

the big muff LOVES Novation BassStation, but I cant remember the last time I used it somewhere else seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2