MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

a question about the inm
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author a question about the inm
burnn_out!
I'm gass'n for one. the question is to buy or not to buy. basically first i was between this and a 4ms triwave. well this won out. now as it stands basically i planned to control it using my acidlab bassline. i have a FR-XS doing those duties as of now. now i know the inm isnt as synthesis intensive as a xs. as far as noise and aggresiveness does the inm win out? i think my xs might be overkill for what i want really. i already have a yamaha cs-30 for straight foward mono synth duties and that stomps the shit outta any other mono synth i've used. so generally if i were looking for a wicked noisy synth is it the inm or xs ftw?
flight
Well, there is a reason it is called Infernal Noise Machine. While it can make soft "musical" sounds, it is really not designed for that. It is a "synthesizer" only in the strict technical definition of the word:"To combine [separate, smaller elements] so as to form a new, complex product.", i.e.: producing a waveform from varying voltage levels.

The INM excels as a wide-range sound effects generator, and it specializes in sounds that will scare your neighbors, terrify any nearby animals, and cause severe discomfort to those who stick around. These side effects can, of course, be mitigated or even removed entirely if desired - after a bit of experimenting though. Like most f(h) products it requires time and experimentation to get an idea of what it can do and how to use it. Honestly, it sounds like a worthless piece of shit the first time you use it. Check out the INM manual if you haven't yet.

So, in short, it sounds like you have all your traditional "musical" sound sources taken care of, while the INM is designed to be nothing like them and to force you into using different techniques to create different sounds. If that is what you are looking for, then your question is answered. wink
radiodread87
flight wrote:
Well, there is a reason it is called Infernal Noise Machine. While it can make soft "musical" sounds, it is really not designed for that. It is a "synthesizer" only in the strict technical definition of the word:"To combine [separate, smaller elements] so as to form a new, complex product.", i.e.: producing a waveform from varying voltage levels.

The INM excels as a wide-range sound effects generator, and it specializes in sounds that will scare your neighbors, terrify any nearby animals, and cause severe discomfort to those who stick around. These side effects can, of course, be mitigated or even removed entirely if desired - after a bit of experimenting though. Like most f(h) products it requires time and experimentation to get an idea of what it can do and how to use it. Honestly, it sounds like a worthless piece of shit the first time you use it. Check out the INM manual if you haven't yet.

So, in short, it sounds like you have all your traditional "musical" sound sources taken care of, while the INM is designed to be nothing like them and to force you into using different techniques to create different sounds. If that is what you are looking for, then your question is answered. wink

Flights right it does sound like a useless shitbox the first time you use it , but alot of people had that opinion of the synthi A when they first used it too! , the INM is a great piece of kit , flight of harmony stuff is great nanners
nrdvrgr
I have been curious about it a long time also, can´t someone do a decent demovideo of one? That could tip me over the edge...
zerosum
nrdvrgr wrote:
I have been curious about it a long time also, can´t someone do a decent demovideo of one? That could tip me over the edge...

Buy me one and then I will make a special demo just for you! hihi

Actually I would make a lot of demos lol
nrdvrgr
Since I am not into charity (sorry Brian) I bump this thread hoping for someone else to respond.
flight
Have you checked out the INM videos on our video page yet? These were done by other folks, so they're a helluva lot better than mine. There are three videos (use the side arrows in the player), one with a Buchla, making a rather haunting, melancholic tune; one a glitch/noise experiment with a Board Weevil; and one I had never expected - a freestyle acid beat done with an INM controlled by an x0xb0x along with a Diabolical Devices 707 & Fuzz Burglar. Clicking on the video titles will take you to their respective YouTube pages with details.
nrdvrgr
Yes Sir, seen them all. Gives a little hint, but I use stuff in a bit different ways, and I am not sure if I am compatible.
The name "Infernal Noise Machine" is however spot on! Could be named after my music, since much of what I do can be considered infernal noise.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1