MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ian Fritz designs
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ian Fritz designs
widgetoz
Hello all,

Is there any interest in the designs form Ian Fritz being made available as Frac modules? These would be offered as fully made modules as well as kits. The idea would be to take my Panther deigns (euro format) and re-panel with Frac sized panels. That means the layouts are fixed as per my Panther designs.
One other question that arises is the module widths. I understand that the rul is a multiple of 1.5" Is this fixed or can we work on, say, multiple sof 0.5" ?
Adam-V
Hi Laurie,

I'm sure there'll be some interest in having your Panther modules available in Frac format. I'm fairly particular about my frac layouts (Knobs/Scales must have the Blacet sideways orientation) so that will probably count me out but most others aren't so obsessive about such things. Having said that, kit versions will solve that little issue for me!

Frac modules MUST be constant widths in multiples of 1.5" or 1 Frac width as it is commonly known.

Cheers,
Adam-V
fluxmonkey
laruri--

would be fantastic, please do it!. strong preference for sticking to the current convention of 1.5" or multiples thereof. slight preference for black panels, but i'm not obsessive about knob orientation. as adam sed, kit's would be great... if not from-scratch kits, maybe something along the lines of mattsons finish-it-yourself (populated/tested pcbs, user supllies panel and panel parts).
kdub
yes to fritz frac kits with black panels!
Spencer
kdub wrote:
yes to fritz frac kits with black panels!

Me too. thumbs up
Cat-A-Tonic
I think it is an awesome idea,
and I would be sure to pick some up
IF I wasn't already building some from Bridechamber PCBs.

That said, I'm really eager to get some of these Ian Fritz modules finished.
Really interesting stuff.

I'm building most of mine parallel to panel.
They will be shallow,
but I have to combine 2 modules in one 4FU panel in some cases
due to PCB length.
scozbor
I would buy kits for sure!
cerebrosis
Double Deka Ultrasonic VCO? Teezer?

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Ekofisk
I'd buy some kits, sure.

Especially with banana-potential. Any hope for us banana-guys?
fluxmonkey
cerebrosis wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

oh oh oh! yes, a dblDeka pcb w/ th waveform sliders side by side (instead of stacked vertically as the 5u design)! that would open it up for frac & euro; there's also some talk in the DIY serge panel threads abt a "best of ian fritz" panel, and such a redesign would help there as well. you already have the generic slider boards. do it!
Cat-A-Tonic
fluxmonkey wrote:
cerebrosis wrote:

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

oh oh oh! yes, a dblDeka pcb w/ th waveform sliders side by side (instead of stacked vertically as the 5u design)! that would open it up for frac & euro; there's also some talk in the DIY serge panel threads abt a "best of ian fritz" panel, and such a redesign would help there as well. you already have the generic slider boards. do it!

+1 Double Deka
+ Teezer
+ All-in envelope

and since Bridechamber is planning to stop selling component kits...
I guess producing everything Fritz would be good.
widgetoz
Ekofisk wrote:
I'd buy some kits, sure.

Most, if not all, of my panels will also take 4mm banana so I can do both. I have a coupel of drafts I did which I will post tonight that show the 4mm.
vmgas
kits would be awesome
swordsect
yes, KITS, also be down for assembled, or half assembled.

Would really love to have one of the Threeler Multimode Triple Tapped VCF
Collusion
Looking forward to these beasties! hyper
Luka
Laurie if you make more fritz pcbs can you include mounting holes

i would have bought your pcbs for chaquo but had to goto bridechamber due to this - not all of us diy kids in euro or frac and dont use the pot mounting

i really wanted to purchase from you but this meant i had to go elsewhere
Adam-V
Luka wrote:
Laurie if you make more fritz pcbs can you include mounting holes

Definite must for me too. I mount my DIY with brackets not PCB mounted pots.

Cheers,
Adam-V
widgetoz
Not a problem. ironically I used to have fixing holes but eventuall took them off because no-one ever used them and I could make better use of the space regained!!!
Guess it would make sense that, as my pcbs are virtually all the same height that I (we) should standardise on a position for 2 holes at the front edge (nearest the panel) so that we have a standard location for panel mounting brackets as well as 2 at the back (power connector edge) for those wanting to mount on to a flat surface or similar?
Ekofisk
widgetoz wrote:
Ekofisk wrote:
I'd buy some kits, sure.

Most, if not all, of my panels will also take 4mm banana so I can do both. I have a coupel of drafts I did which I will post tonight that show the 4mm.

That's great news. Thanks!
adamf
Hi Laurie, this is an interesting idea! Any new frac modules are a welcome addition.

I've been thinking about how you could implement Chaquo and TGTSH in frac. The problem is, in Euro, Chaquo is 20HP and TGTSH is 10HP. Now in Frac, the nearest spacing for chaquo would be 3 Frac widths which is around 22.5 HP (i think) and the nearest spacing for TGTSH would be 1 frac width, which is around 7.5HP (i think). So, one would be too small, the other too big... but if you put them together on one 4 frac space panel, you get about their equivalent measurement togetehr in Euro (ie: 30HP).

So how bout it?? Build them into one super frac chaotic-function-generator-workstation!! (please!) You know it makes sense, they work beautifully together just as the big fellow above intended (Ian that is.. well you are in the southern hemisphere and he's in the northern right?). You should be able to simply transpose your Euro panels onto a Frac panel without needing to worry about PCB revisions ('cept for power).

Also...It just so happens that I have a Euro Chaquo and TGTSH and am in the process of slimming down my Euro system but expanding on my frac. So, if you do go ahead and design a Frac proto panel I would be happy to purchase one and mount the Euro modules behind it. I would have no issues converting the power cables myself (assuming the modules are happy running on +/- 15v, which I believe they would be.)

If i can assist in any way, please PM me. I'm down in Melbourne and have purchased from you previously. Thanks for your excellent work!
Cat-A-Tonic
The build docs recommend some resistor changes
for running on 15v power.
Mood Organ
I'm definitely interested. Do you have a link to the Euro versions you did?
widgetoz
All my Panther (Euro) models can be found at atElby Designs website - Panther
Mood Organ
widgetoz wrote:
All my Panther (Euro) models can be found at atElby Designs website - Panther

woah

Nice - that's more than I can really process right now, but I do have one question: any chance of a Cha without the Quo? For those of us packing Mankatos...
widgetoz
The Cha and the Quo are actually seperate entities within the module so you can build one or the other as desired.
When you look at any of my modules you will see (obviously) that they consist of one or more columns. Some of these are `main' board while others are `support' boards. The support boards simply bring pots, jacks, switches and LEDs to the front panel and so can often be left out of a custom build and the components simply hard-wired back to the connector on the rear of the `main' board. These support boards are also rigidly fixed to 4 components per column so if that is okay within your design then the boards are a neat way of reducing the wiring. If you want a different arrangement or more items in a column then leave the support board(s) out. The main board allows me to add more items in a column or handle special components. Again you can leave the panel components off and hardwire back to the main board (this time the wiring would need to run to the front edge of the pcb and go to the indivual component locations on the board).
The ChaQuo has 4 boards, 2 support boards and the Cha and the Quo boards so I can supply the Cha (with optional support board) if required. I don't, of course, have a front panel for that configuration.
If you pop in to my shopping site you will see the Cha listed under Module Cores
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2