MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your beginning in synthesizers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Your beginning in synthesizers
zapp550
Thougt it might be interesting to see how everyone started in synthesis.

My first synth was a JX-305 that I got when I was 15, initially I spent hours at night making bad electronic tracks by mixing stock patterns oops ... and then thankfully figuring out how to write my own sequences. A few years later a friend would let me use his future retro 777 when my band practiced at his place. I became obsessed with the hands on control of flicking switches and turning knobs that I would completely ignore the sequencer and play long droning notes via midi from my 305. Unfortunately the band I was in at the time wasn't nearly as excited as I was about my new found interest in "sound exploration". Ten years later and i've finally got a modular, and I finally feel complete.. well after maybe just one or two modules right?
Just me
Saw a 2600 new in the local music store. Played with it but now way to afford it at the time. So me and a friend built one from RE plans out of a magazine.
valis
I saved up and bought a used Juno 60 after years of playing with pedals and a crappy drum machine. I still have that old Juno. I don't use it enough but I've had trouble letting it go since it was such a large part of my musical beginnings.
infradead
sk1's i picked up in thrift stores. then some romplers. then a nord mirco modular, immediately sold the romplers, then another micro mod, and finially sold the micros to buy a G1.

now i'm here and feel complete.
zapp550
Just me wrote:
Saw a 2600 new in the local music store. Played with it but now way to afford it at the time. So me and a friend built one from RE plans out of a magazine.
eek! That's quite impressive
zapp550
valis wrote:
I saved up and bought a used Juno 60 after years of playing with pedals and a crappy drum machine. I still have that old Juno. I don't use it enough but I've had trouble letting it go since it was such a large part of my musical beginnings.
When I was first starting I remember running across a juno 6 or 60 for pretty cheap and passing on it cause it didn't suit my tastes at the time.
valis
zapp550 wrote:
valis wrote:
When I was first starting I remember running across a juno 6 or 60 for pretty cheap and passing on it cause it didn't suit my tastes at the time.

Yeah, I definitely remember a period where the only Juno people thought was worthwhile was the 106 (because it had MIDI). There was a long while where there was very little value for non-midi synths. Those were the days..
zapp550
infradead wrote:
sk1's i picked up in thrift stores. then some romplers. then a nord mirco modular, immediately sold the romplers, then another micro mod, and finially sold the micros to buy a G1.

now i'm here and feel complete.
I've always been really interested in the nord modulars but never seem to have the cash when one is available.. or rather when my interest is peaked. It seems like it would be a fantastic compliment to a modular system if since you could copy down cabling from the modular to the nord... or am I way off.
laserpalace
I scored a casio cz-5000 for $50 off of craigslist. The sequencer never saved and the lcd screen was broken, I loved it. Sampled from my sp-202 with it all the time. That plus a c64 w/prophet 64 cartridge were my first "real" synth endeavors. I'm glad I've moved beyond it.
bwhittington
I managed to end up with an ESQ-1 as my first keyboard in the age of the ROMplers. It took me a while to figure out why what I bought was really pretty cool. Most of my early purchases were made solely on the basis of what was cheap. You know, the typical cast-offs nobody wanted like those silly old Prophets and Moogs. Meanwhile, my friend and I would go to the local music store and salivate over the Real Piano sound on the Roland U-20. lol I somehow managed to turn out okay despite myself.

Cheers,
Brian
aksen
a novation bass station keyboard, not long after they first came out. took it home, a friend brought around a guitar amp, and i played around for a few hours having a ball...until i set the midi transmit and receive channel to different channels, which causes no sound to come out. i hadn't read the manual, i had no real idea about synthesis, so i thought i had totally broken my new toy, and was distraught. rang the place of purchase, they said to bring it in the next day, hung up the phone...and then read the bit in manual. i was too embarrassed to ring the music store and tell them what had happened, so i just avoided going there for about a year.
7thDanSound
I started late and got a TB303 and a Korg NR1 (I think it was, don't remember) which I traded for a Novation Super BassStation within a month. The Krog that is, the 303 I kept. That was for Christmas 1999...
stk
Guitar pedals, tape echos, cheap mics, radios & cassette decks SlayerBadger!
Worked like that for years.

First "proper" synth was a JX-3P donated by my cousin. Still have it, never use it. Followed many years later by Bass Station, Ion, Virus TI, MWXT, K2000S, SE-1, MS2k. Still have the last three.
dude
i found a used arp axxe and my drummer and wonderful friend at the time knew i needed it so bad that he helped me buy it. that was 15 years ago and i have not been able to since quit. 10 years ago was the popping of my modular cherry on a nice and fully functional polyfusion system. i took private instruction on it with the new musical ensemble director as part of my degree at the time. it was fucking amazing. i had a key to the studio where it was kept and nobody else (aside from my friends) ever seemed to use that place. it was like a late 70's tomb complete with the synth i was using as well as a completely defunct moog modular prototype, tape echoes, drum machines and various tape machines. none of that other stuff worked entirely or at all but the polyfusion started a deeper level of love and i vowed after that year was over to somehow find a way to make my own modular.

Bite!
Babaluma
watched doctor who and tomorrow's world as a kid. took loads of drugs at raves as a teenager. bought a synth in '92. never looked back.

Cthulhu Om Cthulhu
a100user
Babaluma wrote:
watched doctor who and tomorrow's world as a kid. took loads of drugs at raves as a teenager. bought a synth in '92. never looked back.

Cthulhu Om Cthulhu

Close, watched Dr Who and Tomorrows World as a kid. Smoked a load of weed whilst listening to Hawkwind, Klaus Schulze, Neu and Tangerine Dream. Played with an old reel to reel given to me by my granddad, cutting and splicing at 15. Hung around ABC Music in Addlestone most Saturday's fiddling with Jupiter 4's and various others of that era. Purchased an EDP Wasp (hired purchase with my dad as guarantor) and built a Digisound 80 modular. Never looked back.
Christopher Winkels
In 1988 I started off with a used Korg DW-6000 that was run through a Roland Cube-40 guitar amp. I learned that fairly limited machine inside and out (it had, for the time, quite powerful envelopes). For about two years that was my setup. The idea of having two synths, or one more powerful one was pure science fiction to me at the time.

That changed when I got a Wavestation for my 18th birthday (thanks, Dad!). GAS well and truly began with that purchase.
Ranxerox
When I was 17 I got a Yamaha CS-01 and an Ibanez PUE-5 to lay down Devo-inspired shit in a punk band I was in. I was more into Hawkwind, Can and Eno at the time than Stooges or Black Flag or whatever, but the other guys tolerated me for some reason.

Then I got a DX-11 because I wanted a more 'pro' looking keyboard (duh), and found myself wondering what the MIDI sockets were for, which led me to get an MMT-8 sequencer...

I recorded the earliest results on a cassette and played it to my bandmates, who told me it sounded like shit - that was when I knew I was on to something.
Synthbuilder
I started with a homemade drum synth and my dad's Lowrey home organ when I was 14. All music was recorded as sound on sound with two cassette decks.

I then bought a Moog Rogue (and subsequently modified it) and soon after a Roland RS-09. In 1986 I finally finished my biggest project an eight note analogue polysynth (pretty much an OB-X without memories). eek!

I vowed then I wouldn't make another synth...

Tony
Spiked Lunch
Babaluma wrote:

Cthulhu Om Cthulhu

Fantastic!

Got an electric guitar aged 11, soon realised that most guitarists were only interested in playing the fastest solo ever (and had very poor rhythm) and that in fact, leaning my guitar against my amp on full pelt and manipulating the feedback through effects was way cooler.

Did music tech in college, got to play with a Korg 700s and a MonoPoly.

After years playing round with 4tracks and sound on sound recording, started spending my spare cash on a PC based home studio around '99. Realised VST on the whole was not as good as having actual hardware so started replacing as much as I could with the real deal.

FUN FUN FUN
bwhittington
Synthbuilder wrote:
I vowed then I wouldn't make another synth...

Tony

lol
Paraphonique
When I started in 91 or 92, there was a "changing of the guard", so to speak, where I grew up.

Many of the older, more "established" musicians were selling their old live/touring gear in order to upgrade to home-based computer sequencing setups (which, I remember, were very expensive back then). So anything made before 85, or anything pre-MIDI, could be bought for next to nothing.

My first setup was made of such leftovers : Moog MG1, Roland RS505, Fostex 4 tracks hooked to a bunch of guitar pedals. I made tapes of incompetent ambient-meets-prog experiments in my mom's basement. nanners

After that came university, jobs and years playing bass only. Then I got here after dusting off my synth collection a couple years ago.

P-Pho
authorless
The venerable Casio SK-1 as a kid. If you gave me one today I would probably still sample myself saying "fuck" and play the Super Mario Bros. music. But what really got me into synths was I wanted to make music and I didn't have anyone to make it with. I eventually made a nice little drone that I liked and was going to use it as a background in a song but I ended up listening to it quite a bit then had an epiphany: why can't this just be the song? Then I figured out I didn't want to really make "real music."
theparegorickid
I was at the local music store talking to a friend who worked there and saw this crazy looking machine with a keyboard attached to it in the storage room. I asked my friend what it was and he said it was "some old synth that has been here for the last 10 years. So I gave him $50.00 and took home an Octave Cat. I didn't really know anything about vintage synths until we played with the legendary pink dots and the guys were making over the Cat. I hope to never have to part with it.
Soy Sos
I started with a little Rat Shack tape recorder at around age 10 and proceeded to engage in a bunch of recording experiments including bootlegging the audio of the entire Star Wars film in the theater. Later in high school, I started messing around with the electronic music lab's synth, the ARP 2600. I didn't know how to do much more than make the thing go nuts with the sample and hold. Years later I got a hold of the same actual synth from the school. I figured if anyone should have it, it should be me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8